Stone 7th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 7th Anniversary AleStone 7th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: StoneGreg on 08-01-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 7th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
beerinator

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Rosey malt colored, pinkish tones. Almost orangish. Cream colored retentive head.

Aroma: 'Stone-y'. Hard core citrus hop aroma. Heavy malt smell. Aroma is a bit floral. Buttery crackers in the aroma, to go along with the heavy caramel smells.

Taste: Heavy malt, with tingly hoppiness. Balanced beer, with a nice mouthfeel. Sweet up front, with tingly hops kicking in in the middle. The grapefruit jumps in early with hints of a vegital hop taste during the finish of the beer.

Notes: Balanced bliss. This is a super big quality IPA. Unfortunately it's probably all gone on the store shelves. Steal one of these bottles from a friend or enemy if you can.

06-15-2004 02:01:22 | More by beerinator
tavernjef

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This brewery does nothing but amaze me and they always fit with what I'm looking for out of a beer...time to move to sunny Cal. eh? Well... thank goodness xlperro was nice enough to hook me up with this fine 7th Anniversary Pale Ale by Stone!

Super clouded, deeply golden bronzed yellow color in the glass, a creeping smallish off-white head just sits there a while before it decides to melt away leaving a bubbly edged collar and the lace sticks in small spots and strings.

Aroma is oh so yummy, soon as I wiffed this in I knew I was gonna like it. Malt laden caramel candy-refic nose. The caramel malt here is fantastic, its nearly undescribable; besides, just saying that its super fine yummy nice is enough! Totally reminds of Double Bastards' nose with nearly the same roaring axiom over the hops. What hops I do detect (tangerine, dried grapefruit, citric, woody) seem to realm very meagerly compared to what most pales are and should be. But I'll throw that to the weighside as Stone always seems to push the envelope in all styles neither true nor erroneous.
Love those malts! It never fades. It never gives up. It just cinders like a cinamatic memory.

On your mark... sip...no wait...gulp...WOW, how easy is it to love this beer is beyond words. I can say this "Stone brews rock my world!" Yum, yum, yummy times ten! This is emaculate stuff! Pale ale, or what ever they want to call it, I want more! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...I'm one happy lad this day! Hello caramel! Hello hops! A beautiful meadly of the miraculous malten heavy yet hop filled brigade of a beer! Caramel malts strongly covers the front (yum), mixing with a salad of fruits intreguing grapefruit, tangerine, plum, fig, and dulled raisin to boast, but as it settles a toasty effect takes over with major crusted bread and toasty grainy malts becomes the center, melding with the caramel (delicish). Perfect bitterness for me in the hops, which float and stay steady across the finish with mild yet giving citrus and wood dryness...lingers...lingers some more, yields both the malts and hops together to bring a grin to thee lips. Oooh yeah, thats the stuff...caramel, candy, toffee, citrus, wood... everything Stone has ever offered has risen through to torment you to think, " What could possibly be next by these guys?" Holy shit this is good stuff!

Feel is way to smooth, full, and malty for a pale, yet it gives and gives, never letting go of your expectations, nor your buds, nor your memory. Great start, great finish. What else is neeeded? This has everything; malts in the front which carry through to the finish, and the finish is hop laden and lingering both on the palate and the memory.

The 7.7 ABV catches up to ya pretty quickly, even though it takes nothing to drink it out of the bomber, which is gone before you know it, and your craving strongly for more...and I need more! I can only think of a cross between Old Guardian and Dbl. Bastard, but without all the alcohol, but believe me, this still has a worldly effect on the noggin'. The Levitation and Smoked Porter are the brews to be sessioned by the guys at Stone. Try to session this stuff and it'll be a short evening. Still drinkable beyond commensense and you'll continue to convince yourself as I did that it is.

03-20-2004 00:35:27 | More by tavernjef
Dmann

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

At first glance, I was expecting this to be very similar to the IPA due to the bumped up ABV, but was I wrong or what! This beer poured a beautiful reddish orange color with a good off white head and had a great citrus and carmel smell. The first thing that came to my mind regarding the taste was that it reminded me of the 2001Old Guardian that I had a few weeks back. The first thing that hits the palate is that great citrus flavor, then that is followed by a hint of sweetness then it finnishes with a healthy hop bite. This is definantly a good beer and I would get a lot more if only it were not $6.00 a bottle.

Update 6-24-04:

This beer has turned into something very different indeed in the 9 months since its release. The hop character has been quite subdued and the malt character has taken over quite a bit! This reminds me of the Old Guardian Barleywine even more now, but with less of an alchohol flavor of corse. Still, a very good beer and my review numbers stand.

09-12-2003 05:23:54 | More by Dmann
karst

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Imported from Indianna by cja711. Bright orange ruby pour with a 2 finger ivory head falling to a thin film and lacing. Aroma hop resin, pine needles and malt supporting the hops. The malt base is toasted, and biscuity. The pungent and resinous hops near perfect balance with bitter lingering and nice malt character in finish. A great pale ale with highest drinkability factor. Shared with 2 other BAs and we would have liked a half case for the remains of the evening.

06-12-2005 18:59:15 | More by karst
Gavage

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a amber / orange color with a 1+ inch thick head. The head receded to some large bubbles stuck to the sides of the glass and some spotty remains on the surface. The aroma is full of hops and citrus. The flavor is wonderful, full hop blast with a strong malt level. The citrus tones are well behind the others and alcohol is barely noticable, but both add to the tremendous flavor.

There is a slight tingling mouthfeel that turns into a smooth aftertaste where the hops run long on the tongue. I was still tasting the bitterness for minutes after swallowing. I don't know why, but this remided me of a lower alcohol, less malty SN Bigfoot flavor. Great beer.

01-11-2004 14:51:10 | More by Gavage
Bighuge

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Glowing orange ruby appearacne. Medium sized ivory white head sits on top. Retention is adequate. The head recedes to a thin film that has some staying power. Lacing is droopy and moderate in abundancy. The aroma is pretty raw. Cannibis, hop resin, pine needles. Yeah. And also a bit of malt underneath the hop vapors. When I approached this beer, I thought it'd probably be more like an IPA in nature. I was wrong. This is just a damn good pale ale which a Huge Drinkability factor. The malt base is a little toasted, a little biscuity. The hops are not subtle, but not over the top either. They lend a nice little pungency and resiny character. There's a bitterness lingering, but it's kept in check with the nice malt character. Once again Stone pulls off a highly drinkable, highly tasty and highly enjoyable Aniversary brew.

Thank you Mr. Long Beach Bum for this treat from Stone.

01-28-2004 04:01:49 | More by Bighuge
IrishRedRock

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Jeeez, another great beer from Stone. Surprise Surprise. Before I say anything else, if you have not yet sampled a bottle of this beer and havent had the opportunity to read the back label, go to Stone's website and check it out. Stone's bottles are always funny, but this one is great. It's just over the top and really humorous.

Secondly, I noted the equal alcohol content to the Ruination IPA and thought, could it be a very similar beer? I also noted it has not been designated as an IPA despite a 7.7% ABV, high for a pale ale. I then questioned Greg Koch (Stone CEO) about the style, and of course received the exact answer I was looking for: "The style? Well, it isn't to any "style" really (other than "Stone 7th Anniversary Ale style")." Ah of course! I love these guys.

On to the beer. Slightly tannish orange with a thin lace head. The aroma, well I want my life to smell like this beer. It's perfect. Hops are dominant, but they don't overpower the citric and pine notes that it offers as well. I expected a hop explosion in the flavor, a mouth puckering, tongue numbing experience. It wasnt there! What I got was similar to a well aged IPA. The hops were flavorful and tangy, but quite mellow and subdued as was the alcohol character, which was hardly noticeable. Very piney notes precede a mild caramel malt middle, with a biting but rather delicate smack of hops in the finish. More like a lil love tap. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full and almost creamy. Drinkability? Please, this stuff is phenomenal. Not the hop/alcohol monster I anticipated, yet the hops are perfectly balanced with everything else while still being extremely noticeable. So well done, I could drink this all night.

11-11-2003 06:15:12 | More by IrishRedRock
rkhaze

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a bright funky orange/copper color with a slight haze and a medium sized creamy off white head. Good lacing. Smells of sweet malt, caramel, citrus fruit and big floral/spicy hops.
Taste starts heavily malty and almost cloying in its sweetness. The caramel and tangy orange fruits show up in the middle along with a toffee note. Just when it seems to reach the verge of being too sweet...the citrusy, resinous, slightly perfumey hop bitterness shows up to balance it out. Great job!
Medium to full bodied with a rich, creamy semi oily mouthfeel and a perfect amount of carbonation. Good balance and mouthfeel along
with no noticeable alcohol makes this a highly drinkable ale.
I really liked this beer!

04-28-2004 22:03:00 | More by rkhaze
NeroFiddled

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Has there ever been a more gimmicky beer? ... 7.7% abv, 7.7 fonts on the bottle... I'm just surprised they didn't release it on July 7th like the Vertical Epic beers! Greg cracks me up. BUT, and this is a big BUT, this beer rocks! It's not just about gimmicks and a collectable bottle... it walks the walk!

Although it's almost 2 years old, it still pours a cloudy orange-amber body (must be the hops!). In fact, it looks like a hefeweizen except that the head is limited to a creamy 1/8" of off-white foam. What is there, however, holds quite well and leaves superb wide rings of lace about the glass with each sip.

The nose is subtly caramelish and a touch piney, but the flavor is much bolder than that!

It may have lost some carbonation in the cellar, but it's now gently crisp with a dextrinous, medium-full body that's creamy and smooth across the palate.

The flavor delivers a lush, but not quite rich, softly caramelish, delicately toasty, and sweetly bready (think the innards of a Cinnabon without the cinnamon) malt that's oh-so-perfectly balanced by piney and lightly fruity/citrusy hops and a stiff bitterness. It finishes dry but with some short lingering sticky malt that fades to leave piney hops and bitterness behind.

I never tried this fresh so I'm not sure if it's mellowed and rounded, but I'd imagine the hops were a little bit more agressive 23 months ago. And if the alcohol was noticeable before, it's not now! So if you've got it, drink it.... I don't think it's going to get any better than this!

IN CONCLUSION - - - - - - - - -
In my best Spicoli voice: All I need right now are some tasty waves and a pizza to go with this beer and I'm righteous! I mean dude, I so totally regret not buying more of these bodaciuos brews!!! (slaps forehead) Gnarly!!!

07-04-2005 21:02:23 | More by NeroFiddled
benmiliron

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Paid $4.79 for a 22 oz. bottle. This is a great price for a beer of this caliber.

Damn near a clone of 3 Floyd's Dreadnaught, but not as pretty. Hops knocking you flat, great malt stickiness, this is a beautiful beer. If I had more money I'd buy a case.

02-21-2004 01:52:04 | More by benmiliron
taez555

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer poured a thick but small tan head with a lovely ruby/tan body.

The nose was pure rich sweet malt. Caramel, malt, alcohol. A slight sharpness, but basically just this huge rich malt smell.

The taste was medium to full bodied. Rich and very delicious. Caramel, malt, malt and more malt. Fresh 2 row barley taste. Sort of reminds me of being in a brewery. Yum!! There’s a firm in your face bitterness. A slight citrus peel, earth hop flavors really comes through. It’s very present but perfectly balanced the big malt.

Basically I’ve found a new favorite beer. It’s not an IPA, it’s not a barley wine. It’s just a really good beer. When I was drinking this I kept thinking it was double bastard with the volume turned down a bit. A must try beer, if you can still find it.

06-03-2004 07:15:28 | More by taez555
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This one pours a nice amber color with a tinge of red with a finger of head that falls quickly. The nose is very earthy, both in the malt and the hop. The flavor is very nicely balanced between the roasted malts and the earthy hops. I like it. Mouthfeel is very thick and very nice. Drnkability is good. I could easily finish one of these. This is one of my favorite Stone offereings I've had recently.

09-28-2004 01:37:28 | More by kmpitz2
francisweizen

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Excellent! Stones new 7th anniversary pale ale pours a glwoing orange colour from it's 22oz bomber bottle. The aromas are of some nice pale malts, and bittering hops. You can definately tell that this beer has been dry-hopped for extra juicy hop aroma. This beer tasted wonderful. A big-A$$ Pale ale, that does not cross over into the IPA boundaries. The mouthfeel is thick, but not too thick, or cloying...just right! The drinkability is excellent as always.

Can stone do no wrong?

cheers to JCalabre for the fresh sample!

F

08-26-2003 22:03:42 | More by francisweizen
stewart124

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Copper color with a slight off-white head. Bitter hops, strong with citrus notes and bits of pine. Very bitter tastes of hops hit all over the palate and kill the tastebuds. This delicious none the less and should be labeled a double or imperial in my mind. Crisp tastes with bits of orange and spices. Complex and outstanding. Leaves a piney taste on the tongue. The aftertaste is strong and makes it tough to appreciate anything else that night. This is a great brew but I would expect nothing else from Stone.

03-23-2004 02:15:31 | More by stewart124
Rumrunner

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz. bottle. 'August' is printed on the front of the bottle.

Wowza! What flavors. This is a confident ale. Very complex.

This is perhaps the most beautiful looking beer I have ever seen. Devilish amber with red hues. Awesome rendition of a liquid sunset. Big cloudy head with nice lacing. Hold it up to the light and watch the bubbles slowly float to the top. The smell is deep malt and hops. A nice floral sweetness. I also detected, unfortunately for me, there was an oily sensation on the nose. Also a bit of bitter alcohol.

The flavors are many, complex and varied. A mix of bold stead fast flavors. The malts are very strong and then there is the hops to give it wonderful balance. A nice grapefruit bitterness but do not think of this as a hop head ale. The flavors definately balance out. There is a molasses and pine finish to the flavors. The after taste is mellow and nice as well. Like I said a very bold and confident ale. This one has a personality. Bravo.

For all of its complex flavors this ale is smooth and crisp. Medium bodied in the mouth with a quick surge of carbonation and then easy street. Great direction for an ale to take.

Excellent! Tip our hat and raise our glass to Stone. If you love ales that is. Sad to say since this is an anniversary ale it is here for a limited time. Stock up.

08-28-2003 05:16:19 | More by Rumrunner
ILiveOffHops

New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Another brew from Stone....to be honest my expectations were high to start, considering the wide variety of unique beers Stone has put out. The bottle is marked August 2003. It pours a reddish amber color with a solid one finger head. Little dissapation of the head and nice lacing on my new Ruination mug. Time to take a smell...wow! There is so much in the aroma. Hops, sweet bread, honey, brown sugar. Incredible...I wish they made an air freshener out of this. The taste is similar...sweet and sugary, bready malt, hoppy bitterness, some flowery esters. There is warmth from the alcohol, but the actual booze taste is fairly well disguised. Very full, heavy mouthfeel, very nice. I fully recommend this brew.

08-05-2005 03:53:47 | More by ILiveOffHops
Shultzerdugen

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Cloudy amber with a nice jewel like glow. Large rocky light tan head.

Sweet pine candy and caramel malts in the nose.

Medium body with a sticky mouth coating. Big snap from the resinous piney hops and lingering alcohol. Malts are caramel sweet and juicy.

Was that a pale ale? Not if you ask me, but I wouldn't mind it if other PA's were as assertive or complex. Thanks Joe (aka cja711).

06-09-2005 01:51:04 | More by Shultzerdugen
Naerhu

Japan

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I had to pull really hard not to give this beauty straight fives.

This was the most beautiful golden amber I have seen on a beer crowned by an off-white head.

Huge nose with grass, pine and tangerine, with the tangerine most prominent. There is whole grain bread crust aroma upholding the these hop aromas. Totally complex aroma.

Bursting with citus hops and hop bitterness. Light malty sweetness with the whole grain biscuit structure in the mid-palate. This is relatively light in body with godzilla rampaging for flavor. Brilliant. Complex orange and minty.

Amazing in that I had 4 asahi super dry fans raving that this was the best beer they have ever had.

01-01-2004 14:24:02 | More by Naerhu
aaronh

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Deep copper color topped by a modest cream head. The aroma about knocks you out. Great maltiness, with a hop floral sweetness that just screams "Drink me! Drink me now!!!". Actually surprised by the level of malt in the aroma. The flavor is also very malt laden, but there is a very prominent level of hop bitterness up front. A bit of hop floral chimes in as well. Then a resiny, oily finish. This one warms you from the inside out pretty quickly. The hops talk back pretty quickly as well. Balanced in brashness, this is both assertively malty and assertively hoppy. Mouthfeel is thick and rewarding. Drinkability is pretty good. I'll have to hold a bottle for aging to see how much this improves, as it definitely seems that it could. This pale is not for the pale at heart. Another great ale from Stone.

11-22-2003 06:30:40 | More by aaronh
vma

4.44/5  rDev +7%

08-17-2014 23:51:59 | More by vma
DESTRO

Nevada

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

pours out a beautiful sunset orange with a tiny white head that leaves a perfect sticky lace throughout the entire drinking experiance. smells of hops, malt and caramel drift up my shnoz and put a grin on my face. the taste? oh man, im glad ive finally grown to enjoy the assault of hops because this brew is awesome. not only does it have a great hop flavour but its matched against a strong malt sweetness that makes the perfect balance, this is heaven. the alcohol character is hidden amazingly and this is so drinkable its deadly. the mouth feel it slightly heavy, slightly chewy and sticky and wonderful. damn this beer is great. good thing the store down the street got in a bunch of cases so ill have to hit it up tomorrow and swoop some up. maybe sit on a few and see how they age. ill throw up the goat for this brew.

$3.99 a bomber.

09-19-2003 06:19:26 | More by DESTRO
ghostwalker

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Reddish-golden cloudy amber body. One finger of thick white head. At first it looks like the head won't last long. But it sticks around persistently through most of my first pint.

Nose is sharp and hoppy. A touch of the piney, woody bite of a barleywine. Agressive!

Flavor is huge. Is this really only 7.7%? It has the massive bitter hop profile of an unabashed barleywine. Plenty of malt up-front to balance the hops, but without producing overwhelming sweetness. There are plenty of sweet notes present, though. Caramel, toffee, brown sugar, it's in there. It's really, really good. Reminds me a little bit of SN Bigfoot (Lite, if such a thing existed). They should produce a regular product from this recipe, I would buy it.

Mouthfeel is thick and substantial, even chewy, but still smooth.

Drinkability is very good. The huge flavors please the palate, while stopping short of being overwhelming. I wish I had more of these, I will have to ration my last 3 bombers carefully.

12-02-2005 23:39:55 | More by ghostwalker
Mustard

District of Columbia

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Presentation: 22oz. brown bomber; August 2003 etched beneath the big "Stone 7th"; $3.99 from the Beverage Warehouse near Culver City; crazed rambling on back ... no doubt an attempt at humor, but I was bored to tears after one sentence.

Appearance: Pours an unholy, amberish red ... my god, how did they brew such a color? Fat, two-fingered head; very good lacing; excellent retention.

Aroma: Thick, thick Caramel malts; loads of Cascades.

Taste: Are you kidding me? Sweet, vibrant Caramel malts upfront and throughout; robust Cascade bitterness in the finish. Thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Notes: To be honest, I was outright peeved when I heard Stone's 7th Anniversary brew was gonna be a pale ale. I mean, they've already got sixteen friggin' APA/IPA's in their year-round rotation, right? And their 6th Anniversary porter was so damned fantastic ... why couldn't they have gone down a more exotic road? Well, f*ck me. All I can say is that this is one kick ass pale ale. As much as I like Stone, never dreamt this would be my conclusion. Still, can we shoot for something outside the APA/IPA realm next year, guys? Perhaps a brown; or a scottish; or a weizenbock; or a hefeweizen; or a dopplebock ...

08-17-2003 11:05:09 | More by Mustard
beerguy101

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Orange gold color. Small white foamy head. Aroma is grapefruity, piney, fruity and slightly sweet. A full to medium bodied pale ale. The hops will assault your taste buds, take no prisoners and you will be lucky to only have to walk the plank, stripped don to your undies. Your taste buds are then rescued by the really big nutty malt sweetness. Malts are nutty and sweet. Hops are grapefruity, piney and a touch resiny. This beer goes from being hoppy to malty then back to hoppy again, all while staying in balance. Smooth tasting. This is a very nice beer, Stone has done it again, produced a very familiar style beer, but in a way that is unique and very definitely Stone. I wonder what this beer will taste like with some bottle aging, its still a little young. Very cool artwork on the etched bottle. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

10-13-2003 03:33:17 | More by beerguy101
winomark

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Pours a deep copper with a wispy tan head. Almost crystal clear.

Aroma: Good hop citrus blends effortlessly with rich malt and alcohol sweetness. I wish I had a cologne that smelled like this.

Taste: Malt attacks the front, but hops jump in and dominate the middle and finish. Alcohol warms the finish. Amazingly complex palate.

Mouthfeel: Rich and coating, but still has a dry, crisp and refreshing finish. Extremely flavorful.

Drinkability: Too bad this is a one-time release. I will have to have lots of willpower to restrain from drinking my last bottle. One of my favorite Stone beers this year.

11-24-2003 15:37:26 | More by winomark
Stone 7th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.