Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-smoked Saison - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-smoked SaisonMatt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-smoked Saison

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: shigg85 on 05-30-2014

Reviews by mrseano:
4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottled in January 2014. Here I am 20 months later.

Pours a cloudy creamsicle orange with a 1 inch foamy white head that recedes to reveal some splotchy lacing.

Nose features soft wheat and some fruitiness. Overall not a strong scent.

Some definite yeast funkiness going on. I'm curious as to how this faired fresh. I think the smokiness is giving this one a peculiar bitterness on the backend that lingers for quite awhile in the aftertaste. Grain is there with some fruit sweetness but its immediately overpowered by what I assume is funk meets smoke.

The aftertaste finally fades into a biscuit butter coating on the roof of the mouth. The 10.5% is helping in the coating process, I'm sure. A soft and smooth mouthfeel, especially in this alcohol range.

Overall, I'm not much of a Saison guy to begin with, so this one intrigued me with all that's going on. It's not a bad beer and I think Saison lovers would get a kick out of it.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.43/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.89/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours yellow with a small head.
Nose shows funky saison yeast, light banana, soft smoke and floral notes.
Similar flavours; earthy and funky yeast, light wheat notes, and hint of meaty smoke.
Tastes more like 5%, very well made.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.49/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wow. I bought this one with high hopes... I love smoked beers and rauchbiers, but am not a major fan of saisons. So there was a grain of trepidation there as well.

When I poured it into my handy pint, it looked like a solid saison. One finger head, yellow body, relatively clear. No lacing, and the head eventually died to a thin ring around the glass, not sure if I liked that or not.

Aroma had a lot going on. Grassy, floral, slightly sweet, some fresh white bread, tart apples, and hints of smoke. Okay, going in the right direction.

Then came the taste. Oh my god. The first sip was downright horrid. It was definitely a saison... itg was dry, peppery, spicy, with some yeast notes... but rather than a nice smokiness was a whole bunch of blech. It made me shudder as I swallowed. It got better as I drank more, but I am not sure if my taste buds acclimated to it, if they started to shut down, or if the high ABV made me care less about it. Regardless, I drank it in as few swallows as I could.

Mouthfeel was kind of cloying and icky.

Overall, while I understand their reason for brewing this beer as a tribute to a coworker, I certainly hope that this was the flavor he would have liked. This one was definitely not for me. I guess I am a statistical outlier in that regard, as it seems so many people thought this was outstanding.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A – Bright pale color, little to no retention of a pale yellow head.

S – Underwhelming, little to no smokiness here, comes across as a basic Saison.

T – Hello belgian yeasty goodness, nicely done here, with a little bit of cherry smoky goodness.

M – Nice mouthfeel bordering on the heavy and overtly think side of the spectrum.

O – Unfortunately underwhelming, this is a decent saison, but I would have liked a little more smoke and fruit.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz. bottle: This one pours a somewhat opaque golden color. There was a small white head that didn’t linger very long. It has an interesting nose. A bit of funk mixed with a bit of smokiness. Some earthy, apple and citrus notes also. The taste is very good. Just a faint sourness to it. Hints of apple, smokiness, yeastiness, wheat. A very complex brew. Hopefully they will brew this again!

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%

I agree with the other reviews. It just needs a little more smoke.

Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-smoked Saison from Stone Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.