18th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

18th Anniversary IPA18th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

As we compose the text for this celebratory beer—a golden-brown India pale ale dry-hopped exclusively and abundantly with El Dorado hops—we stand ready to leap from the precipice of all we know into a new era for our company, our beers and, most importantly, our fans. It’s one that will see us exploring new territory, both geographically and creatively, as we evolve from pacesetters for the American craft brewing movement to cross-planetary champions of the worldwide cause of craft, hoisting our banner to proclaim artisanal beers’ vast superiority over stripped-down, business-driven, industrialized, fizzy, yellow mediocrity. We thank you for shadowing us for the first 18 years of our journey, and welcome you to join us for next leg and all that follows.

(Beer added by: jhartley on 07-20-2014)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 18th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.19/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Stone 18th Anniversary IPA
22 oz. brown glass bottle, Bottled on date is illegible (partially smeared off)

My first thought was that this is a "Brown IPA", a style that hasn't particularly appealed to me in the past.Then I feared that as a Stone beer it might be a little too much. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find that it's quite smooth and rounded, which is something that Stone seems to be moving towards these days. Good for them!

Back to the "Brown IPA". This is what they've labeled a "Golden-Brown IPA", and that comes through. It's certainly brown in color, appearing a dark russet with orange and golden highlights beneath a frothy head of khaki foam, but it doesn't have all of the chocolate or softly roast flavors that a brown ale might have.

Stepping back, the aroma is quite wonderful, clearly due to the El Dorado hops. It displays a combination of fruit that's really hard to pinpoint at first. I felt I was smelling one fruit, but I eventually I found papaya, grapefruit, and watermelon (!?). It's a touch sweetish and floral as well. These all carry over into the flavor, and I'm quite sure that the restrained "brown" character of the malt is restrained so that the hops are able to shine.

The hops are much fuller in the flavor than they are in the aroma, and even more complex - all the while not stepping forward so that the beer seems very streamlined and focused (although there is much more citrus). If you weren't looking specifically for hop flavors they'd pass right by you. The malt then does more than just support the hop flavors, it blends with and balances them. It's toasty, and subtly chocolatey, but mainly caramelish; displaying mainly golden caramel, but a bit of darker caramel as well. In my opinion the caramel flavors help to accentuate the tropical melon and citrus flavors that the hops offer. With all of that said, it's a fairly focus flavor overall, remaining the same from start to finish with the exception of a little bit more pine and citrus appearing in the drying finish. The bitterness is restrained, particularly for a Stone beer, but that's also most likely been done to allow the hop flavors to shine. There's more than enough to balance it, but not so much that it becomes harsh.

Finally, the carbonation is restrained as well, leaving it smooth and creamy across the palate, accentuating the maltiness and allowing the hops to come through without interference of carbonic acid or increased perceived bitterness.

Overall this is a really remarkable beer that shows a deft hand in brewing. Whoever formulated this should be congratulated as I'm sure they won't receive accolades from the public - it'll just fall blindly into the cracks of ignorance.

2.59/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a solid brown color with a little head that mostly dissipates rather quickly and leaves solid lacing on my glass.

Smells of indistinct, fruity hop and malts.

Tastes of very strong fruity and citrusy hops and very strong malts. Grapefruit is a rather distinct flavor, as is caramel and molasses. Rather poor mix of hops an malts and poor use of malts in this. Does not taste very well.

It is quite thick, but does go down fairly smoothly, especially considering how thick it is.

Overall, it's worth a shot as a limited edition Stone brew but I did not like this one. Both a poor balance of hops and malts, and terrible use of each. This would be the first beer from Stone that I straight up did not like and had a hard time finishing, and I've had quite a few too.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

3.64/5  rDev -6.7%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

One of my favorite beers from the brewery; it appears to be something they perfected over the last 18 years. The combination of smell and taste set up a good finish. I recommend tracking down this beer. Full review: http://www.examiner.com/review/beer-review-stone-18th-anniversary-ipa

Overall, a very solid DIPA / brown IPA. Burn orange / brown color with Stone signature lacing. Big citrus flavor, hop forward, malty. Hits all the marks for a really solid DIPA with some malt back bone.

18th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.