Sawyer's Triple - Stone Brewing Co.

Sawyer's TripleSawyer's Triple

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Tripel |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 10-04-2003

Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 112
4.77/5  rDev +19%

Presentation: The quality of Stones’ Bottles continues with another screen printed Bomber. Because of the circumstances, the design is a little more restrained, and I have to say that I like the simple classic looks. The usual description on the back of the bottle, which always raises a laugh or two, in this instance makes for a very sobering read. As I read it again, it has an even greater, more poignant, significance as little Sawyer lost his battle to the awful disease ALD, only a few days earlier.

Appearance: A massive ‘Belgium’ off-white head when first poured, which slowly settles to a smooth covering. The head fizzes with a lively effervescence which is very audible. The body is a very lucid dark golden color, with some amber hints at times when back-lit. Sadly, the head breaks to reveal just a collar like halo head.

Nose: A fantastic spicy hop aroma intermingled with yeast, and freshly kneaded dough. Effortlessly ‘Belgium’ in character.

Taste: Slightly sweet beginning, spicy hops invade the mouth. The black-pepper, spices, yeast and hops continually battle with each other. Orange peel and coriander enter the affray but only as Referees. No-one gains from this flavorsome fight – except the Imbiber. Towards the ending, & in the finish, there are small hints of cloves & banana’s at times.

Mouthfeel: A bold mouthfeel that leaves a nice tingle of the tongue and a spicy-clove aftertaste. The aftertaste of ones burps & belches are marvelous. The 7.6% is well masked.

Drinkability: I love Belgium beer & I love Stone beers – so to have both, is quite the treat. A very easy ‘5’. Gorgeously quaffable.

Overall: I am sure I am not the only one who did not really want to write this Review. Well, I have no fancy words to finish with, and I never knew little Sawyer, but I will say this - I happened to look at the Photograph of Sawyer on the wall of the Brewery’s Gift Shop, just as I was ordering some of this beer on Friday. His cheerful looking bespectacled face, his right arm raised with a clenched fist, somehow says everything I cannot. Maybe Stone could release this once a year in memory of Sawyer, raise much needed funds for the fight against ALD, and remind us all - just how damn lucky we are.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Just had this at the Stone Anniversary Ale tasting event at Sun Devil Liquors. Stone's brewmaster, Steve Wagner, bought a case himself and brought it for the tasting. Thanks a lot, Steve. We Stone fans in Arizona really appreciate it, and I'm sure the Sherwood family does too. We all send our heartfelt condolences to the family of Sawyer Sherwood, who this beer was brewed for, and who we learned passed away this past Tuesday.

This was a cloudy orange brew with a good-sized white head. Very well presented. Aroma of coconut and fruity esters with spicy Belgian yeast. As for the flavor, the first thing I noticed was the peppery character, from what seemed to be the alligator pepper that was used in brewing the 03.03.03 Vertical Epic, which I loved in that beer, and which I now like even better in this beer. The sweet malt and spicy yeasty flavors really come through after that. They blend quite well and balance perfectly with the hops. To me, that makes the best tripel. A wonderful beer brewed for a wonderful cause. I only wish I could have contributed myself and bought bottles of this at the brewery.

Sawyer's Triple from Stone Brewing Co.