Sawyer's Triple - Stone Brewing Co.

Sawyer's TripleSawyer's Triple

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Tripel |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 10-04-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
BierReise

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a slightly hazy deep golden with hardly any head at all. Aroma is spicy fruity with noticible yeast. Orange like citrus also present. Excellent aroma in my opinion. Has a sweet and sour flavor to it, a bit spicy with sweet fruitiness. Carbonation is lower than other tripels I've had, still a bit of crispness though. Overall pretty decent for an American Tripel.

11-28-2003 22:16:32 | More by BierReise
feloniousmonk

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Normally, the beers I review are full samples, fully sampled by yours truly, but this time I dug into my generous nature and shared the bomber with fellow BA Steorn, who'd never had anything from Stone! What better way to change that sad status than to treat him with a rare, limited bottling! And, as for the beer?
I shelved sentimentality, not that it's easy, but merely to judge the brew on the brew, and, wouldn't you know, that ain't all so hard...
Appearance: golden hue, with a pure, milky whitewhead...lovely!
Aroma: sweetness and spice, a perfect tripel feel, highly sugared, overwhelmingly pleasant, light, and. oh, so, nice.
Taste: sublime. Just perfect. Throws me back, thrusts me into a sublime state, utterly out-of-this-world, that sort of brew that sends you into something other -than-the-norm, did I say, perfect? With an abundant fruitiness, peach, apricot, citrus, and more, ...the finish is swift, but thirsty, in that it mouake you ache for more," where's my Sawyer's Tripel", you scream! Honestly, it's like that, not too big, not too small, just so-right, damn, but they made a perfect tripel, sweet, but not too much so, tasty, but just enough, refreshingly simple, but thoroughly complex...Great job, Stone, once again!!!
Enormous, effervescent gratitude to Mr. BeachBum hisself, Sir Darren of Nightengale!

11-27-2003 06:36:03 | More by feloniousmonk
aracauna

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Very clear beer although there seems to be a tiny fuzz of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. This has a nice coppe/pink gold glow. The head is light and a bit fizzy. It's short-lived and fades to a small ring around the edge of the glass. It's a five color with a 2 head. I weigh color higher than head so I'm giving it a 4. The aroma is definitely nice. Pepper, cotton candy, apricots something that I'm missing the word for. The flavor is good, adds on a tad of sourness (barely noticeable). A bit cidery. I'm actually surprised by the bitterness in the finish. I wouldn't call this a bitter beer, but it's more bitter than what I was expecting from the style.

11-19-2003 07:07:58 | More by aracauna
Bighuge

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Nice looking amber orange color. A small white head adorns the surface and has good enough retention. Lacing is sparse. Great nose. Bready and yeasty. Spicy and peppery. Musty and minty. The flavors of this beer really follow suit with the nose. Bread and yeasty dough tones are very nice. The spice is subdued, but apparant. Minty tones are very delicate. And there's some fruitiness to go around as well. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated. Body about medium. This special brew has a pretty special taste.

As a father of 3 little ones, I found that drinking this beer brought out some emotions. The Sherwood (and Stone) family are in my thoughts.

11-14-2003 03:51:26 | More by Bighuge
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy golden orange color with two fingers of head. The smell is fairly spicy with cloves and pepper. There are also some fruity esters and alcohol to the smell. The taste is smooth and mellow starting off with sweet malt. Hints of spice and fruit then show up. The finish brings forth a little bit of hops and just a hint of alcohol. It is an extremely balanced brew. The mouthfeel is very thick and smooth, and the drinkability is superb for a tripel. I think this is a great representation of the style.

But, no matter how much I like this beer, I wish it would have never been made. I wish that there was no such thing ALD, and I wish Sawyer didn't have to battle the disease. My glass is raised up toward heaven, toward little Sawyer. It is also raised for every other person that has to battle this disease. I thank Greg and everyone at Stone for helping the cause, and all my thoughts and condolences go out to the Sherwood family.

11-04-2003 05:24:39 | More by SheepNutz
mickeymac

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

As is normally the case with Stone, it's served from a bomber. It pours a lovely golden-orange. Despite a rather vigorous pour, the white head was minimal and then disappeared almost immediately. Carbonation was on the low side. The smell is spicy, slightly medicinal, and musty: everything one would expect in a quality Belgian-style tripel. The taste is also a very pleasant experience. It's more subtle than many tripels, but the subtlety doesn't detract from the taste. The 7.6% abv certainly doesn't smack you in the face. This is a very classy beer and a fitting tribute to Sawyer.

10-17-2003 04:08:40 | More by mickeymac
TheLongBeachBum

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Presentation: The quality of Stones’ Bottles continues with another screen printed Bomber. Because of the circumstances, the design is a little more restrained, and I have to say that I like the simple classic looks. The usual description on the back of the bottle, which always raises a laugh or two, in this instance makes for a very sobering read. As I read it again, it has an even greater, more poignant, significance as little Sawyer lost his battle to the awful disease ALD, only a few days earlier.

Appearance: A massive ‘Belgium’ off-white head when first poured, which slowly settles to a smooth covering. The head fizzes with a lively effervescence which is very audible. The body is a very lucid dark golden color, with some amber hints at times when back-lit. Sadly, the head breaks to reveal just a collar like halo head.

Nose: A fantastic spicy hop aroma intermingled with yeast, and freshly kneaded dough. Effortlessly ‘Belgium’ in character.

Taste: Slightly sweet beginning, spicy hops invade the mouth. The black-pepper, spices, yeast and hops continually battle with each other. Orange peel and coriander enter the affray but only as Referees. No-one gains from this flavorsome fight – except the Imbiber. Towards the ending, & in the finish, there are small hints of cloves & banana’s at times.

Mouthfeel: A bold mouthfeel that leaves a nice tingle of the tongue and a spicy-clove aftertaste. The aftertaste of ones burps & belches are marvelous. The 7.6% is well masked.

Drinkability: I love Belgium beer & I love Stone beers – so to have both, is quite the treat. A very easy ‘5’. Gorgeously quaffable.

Overall: I am sure I am not the only one who did not really want to write this Review. Well, I have no fancy words to finish with, and I never knew little Sawyer, but I will say this - I happened to look at the Photograph of Sawyer on the wall of the Brewery’s Gift Shop, just as I was ordering some of this beer on Friday. His cheerful looking bespectacled face, his right arm raised with a clenched fist, somehow says everything I cannot. Maybe Stone could release this once a year in memory of Sawyer, raise much needed funds for the fight against ALD, and remind us all - just how damn lucky we are.

10-06-2003 07:14:54 | More by TheLongBeachBum
RoyalT

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance – Bright orange body, almost florescent, with a decent head that laced the glass well. This one looks the part.

Smell – This has a nice malt base complimented by a sweet orange syrup and balancing hops. There’s some subtle yet effective spicing in there as well, mostly pepper and coriander.

Taste – This is not a heavy hitter like the HOTD Rose or Westmalle Trappist Trippel. It is definitely more balanced to the extent that it goes down like silk.

The orange flavor is good but not overpowering. It is mixed with a fresh melon taste followed by a hint of banana and cherry. The fruits are light here and unspiced, which is my preference for the style.

The hop profile balances nicely. It’s difficult to actually pick out the hops, but the offsetting nature of the taste establishes their presence.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and refreshing. No hint of alcohol to this medium-bodied ale.

Drinkability – This went down like a light lunch. It was excellent.

Comments – We all know the sad history as to the advent of this bottle. I picked this up at the brewery in a solemn crowd.

The CEO was on hand (the supposed “Arrogant Bastard” himself who was anything but) thanking everyone who came by. The proceeds of the beer sales, along with a percentage of all purchases in the gift shop (I loaded up on Stone paraphernalia that day) went to help research for the deadly disease that stole little Sawyer’s life just days before.

Update: I cellared this for six months and popped it at a tasting over at skyhand’s house. I thought it was perfect at this point. The flavors were fully mixed yet nothing was breaking down. The mouthfeel especially was incredible, so I changed the rating from 4.5 to 5.0.

10-06-2003 03:16:47 | More by RoyalT
jcalabre

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I drove from my house in Mission Viejo down to Stone in San Marcos today to buy beer. And I've never been so depressed buying a beer. You can all look at Stone's website and read for yourself about the tragedy involving Sawyer Sherwood and his loss in his battle against ALD. Since all the proceeds from the sale of Stone Sawyer are going to be used in helping fight ALD, hopefully the money being raised will save some other child from this horrible fate.
As far as the beer, it pours a beautiful clear golden color with a quickly diminishing white head. The effervesence is continual. I poured this into a Chimay goblet and it looks great sitting there.
The aroma is wonderfully spicey with yeastiness to it. There's a sweet aspect to the nose. too.
The flavor is slightly sweet on the tongue. You can put this up against any comparable Belgian Trippel and Stone would win in many people's views.
The texture and mouthfeel are great. It has a medium feel and it is so easy to drink.
It's another world class beer from Stone. It's ashame that the circumstances are so tragic.

10-04-2003 23:36:53 | More by jcalabre
hyuga

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

Just had this at the Stone Anniversary Ale tasting event at Sun Devil Liquors. Stone's brewmaster, Steve Wagner, bought a case himself and brought it for the tasting. Thanks a lot, Steve. We Stone fans in Arizona really appreciate it, and I'm sure the Sherwood family does too. We all send our heartfelt condolences to the family of Sawyer Sherwood, who this beer was brewed for, and who we learned passed away this past Tuesday.

This was a cloudy orange brew with a good-sized white head. Very well presented. Aroma of coconut and fruity esters with spicy Belgian yeast. As for the flavor, the first thing I noticed was the peppery character, from what seemed to be the alligator pepper that was used in brewing the 03.03.03 Vertical Epic, which I loved in that beer, and which I now like even better in this beer. The sweet malt and spicy yeasty flavors really come through after that. They blend quite well and balance perfectly with the hops. To me, that makes the best tripel. A wonderful beer brewed for a wonderful cause. I only wish I could have contributed myself and bought bottles of this at the brewery.

10-04-2003 05:58:50 | More by hyuga
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Sawyer's Triple from Stone Brewing Co.