1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Sawyer's Triple - Stone Brewing Co.

Sawyer's TripleSawyer's Triple

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Tripel |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 10-04-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter/ No freshness date

Big thanks go out to Joe for this!

P: Pours yellow from the bottle, and sits apricot in the glass. Barely a 1/2 inch head of off-white foam that disappeared immediately. Not much lacing.

A: Citrus-flavored bubblegum, ripe bananas & pears, light malts, dash of pepper, and a slight alcohol presence. Smells good!

T: Bubblegum flavors burst onto the scene from the opening sip, accompanied by floral (and slightly citrusy) hops, bruised bananas, apples, pears, and cloves all tied together by a light malt presence. Sweet for the first second, then leans toward being a bit more bitter & spicy from the pepper & alcohol. Finishes dry with a much more pronounced malt, and a kiss of yeast to balance things out. This is damn tasty!

M: Medium-bodied, smooth, clean, moderately carbonated for a good bite.

D: Very drinkable. I sit here writing this wishing that I had another to enjoy.

Notes: I sure am glad that I was able to get my hands on one of these puppies. I enjoyed it immensely! Complex, full-flavored, and downright satisfying. What else would you expect from Stone. Outstanding!

sweetbrew82, Jan 16, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Normally, the beers I review are full samples, fully sampled by yours truly, but this time I dug into my generous nature and shared the bomber with fellow BA Steorn, who'd never had anything from Stone! What better way to change that sad status than to treat him with a rare, limited bottling! And, as for the beer?
I shelved sentimentality, not that it's easy, but merely to judge the brew on the brew, and, wouldn't you know, that ain't all so hard...
Appearance: golden hue, with a pure, milky whitewhead...lovely!
Aroma: sweetness and spice, a perfect tripel feel, highly sugared, overwhelmingly pleasant, light, and. oh, so, nice.
Taste: sublime. Just perfect. Throws me back, thrusts me into a sublime state, utterly out-of-this-world, that sort of brew that sends you into something other -than-the-norm, did I say, perfect? With an abundant fruitiness, peach, apricot, citrus, and more, ...the finish is swift, but thirsty, in that it mouake you ache for more," where's my Sawyer's Tripel", you scream! Honestly, it's like that, not too big, not too small, just so-right, damn, but they made a perfect tripel, sweet, but not too much so, tasty, but just enough, refreshingly simple, but thoroughly complex...Great job, Stone, once again!!!
Enormous, effervescent gratitude to Mr. BeachBum hisself, Sir Darren of Nightengale!

feloniousmonk, Nov 27, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance – Bright orange body, almost florescent, with a decent head that laced the glass well. This one looks the part.

Smell – This has a nice malt base complimented by a sweet orange syrup and balancing hops. There’s some subtle yet effective spicing in there as well, mostly pepper and coriander.

Taste – This is not a heavy hitter like the HOTD Rose or Westmalle Trappist Trippel. It is definitely more balanced to the extent that it goes down like silk.

The orange flavor is good but not overpowering. It is mixed with a fresh melon taste followed by a hint of banana and cherry. The fruits are light here and unspiced, which is my preference for the style.

The hop profile balances nicely. It’s difficult to actually pick out the hops, but the offsetting nature of the taste establishes their presence.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and refreshing. No hint of alcohol to this medium-bodied ale.

Drinkability – This went down like a light lunch. It was excellent.

Comments – We all know the sad history as to the advent of this bottle. I picked this up at the brewery in a solemn crowd.

The CEO was on hand (the supposed “Arrogant Bastard” himself who was anything but) thanking everyone who came by. The proceeds of the beer sales, along with a percentage of all purchases in the gift shop (I loaded up on Stone paraphernalia that day) went to help research for the deadly disease that stole little Sawyer’s life just days before.

Update: I cellared this for six months and popped it at a tasting over at skyhand’s house. I thought it was perfect at this point. The flavors were fully mixed yet nothing was breaking down. The mouthfeel especially was incredible, so I changed the rating from 4.5 to 5.0.

RoyalT, Oct 06, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Presentation: The quality of Stones’ Bottles continues with another screen printed Bomber. Because of the circumstances, the design is a little more restrained, and I have to say that I like the simple classic looks. The usual description on the back of the bottle, which always raises a laugh or two, in this instance makes for a very sobering read. As I read it again, it has an even greater, more poignant, significance as little Sawyer lost his battle to the awful disease ALD, only a few days earlier.

Appearance: A massive ‘Belgium’ off-white head when first poured, which slowly settles to a smooth covering. The head fizzes with a lively effervescence which is very audible. The body is a very lucid dark golden color, with some amber hints at times when back-lit. Sadly, the head breaks to reveal just a collar like halo head.

Nose: A fantastic spicy hop aroma intermingled with yeast, and freshly kneaded dough. Effortlessly ‘Belgium’ in character.

Taste: Slightly sweet beginning, spicy hops invade the mouth. The black-pepper, spices, yeast and hops continually battle with each other. Orange peel and coriander enter the affray but only as Referees. No-one gains from this flavorsome fight – except the Imbiber. Towards the ending, & in the finish, there are small hints of cloves & banana’s at times.

Mouthfeel: A bold mouthfeel that leaves a nice tingle of the tongue and a spicy-clove aftertaste. The aftertaste of ones burps & belches are marvelous. The 7.6% is well masked.

Drinkability: I love Belgium beer & I love Stone beers – so to have both, is quite the treat. A very easy ‘5’. Gorgeously quaffable.

Overall: I am sure I am not the only one who did not really want to write this Review. Well, I have no fancy words to finish with, and I never knew little Sawyer, but I will say this - I happened to look at the Photograph of Sawyer on the wall of the Brewery’s Gift Shop, just as I was ordering some of this beer on Friday. His cheerful looking bespectacled face, his right arm raised with a clenched fist, somehow says everything I cannot. Maybe Stone could release this once a year in memory of Sawyer, raise much needed funds for the fight against ALD, and remind us all - just how damn lucky we are.

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 06, 2003
4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

Just had this at the Stone Anniversary Ale tasting event at Sun Devil Liquors. Stone's brewmaster, Steve Wagner, bought a case himself and brought it for the tasting. Thanks a lot, Steve. We Stone fans in Arizona really appreciate it, and I'm sure the Sherwood family does too. We all send our heartfelt condolences to the family of Sawyer Sherwood, who this beer was brewed for, and who we learned passed away this past Tuesday.

This was a cloudy orange brew with a good-sized white head. Very well presented. Aroma of coconut and fruity esters with spicy Belgian yeast. As for the flavor, the first thing I noticed was the peppery character, from what seemed to be the alligator pepper that was used in brewing the 03.03.03 Vertical Epic, which I loved in that beer, and which I now like even better in this beer. The sweet malt and spicy yeasty flavors really come through after that. They blend quite well and balance perfectly with the hops. To me, that makes the best tripel. A wonderful beer brewed for a wonderful cause. I only wish I could have contributed myself and bought bottles of this at the brewery.

hyuga, Oct 04, 2003

Hobbit, Aug 02, 2013

CEDAMA, Aug 20, 2012

Jstark5150, Nov 19, 2011

bearisprime, Feb 08, 2012

Rochefort10nh, Nov 26, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Sawyer's Triple from Stone Brewing Co.