2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2004 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2004Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2004

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.06% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 02-12-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 121 | Show All Ratings:
StonedRugger

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Again I am lucky to go to school at Denison University where Brews Cafe is a mere half-mile away. The current most Arrogant Bar has had This year's old Guardian on tap for almost 2 months now and I made it a point to get down their and have a pint. The brew looked great as always with a copper body and a small tannish head. I got the impression from Stone's press release that it would be meatier than it was, but that just means my recollection of last year's edition is not so good. Becoming a theme in these reviews is that my nose is garbage and even all the hops and alcohol character could not penetrate the usual congestion. My nose however is not so worthless that taste was affected. The malt/hop balance provided for sweetness on the nose with the hops gradually taking over. It was a very dry finish overall with little aftertaste...Or it was just that the alcohol had done a number on my tongue like the burning sensation told me it did to my stomach. I'm not complaining, but I also didn't try GLBC's Black Stout as a "chaser" either.

04-05-2004 13:19:13 | More by StonedRugger
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2004 from Stone Brewing Co.