1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 258 | Reviews: 230 | Show All Ratings:
mzwolinski

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a clear, dark brown -- red when held to the light. Head is very thin and spotty, reinforced by scant, slow-rising carbonation.

The first sniff reveals a deep, malty aroma. Husky and roasty, with light chocolate overtones. This actually reminds me a bit of almonds roasted in vegetable oil.

The roastiness comes through quite strongly in the flavor. Here the malt takes on what again strikes me as a kind of oily, nutty flavor. Almost cola-like. A bit of oaky bourbon flavors kick in toward the end. The roastiness declines a bit in the aftertaste, replaced by some surprisingly restrained hops, and a hint of vanilla. The aftertaste lingers for a good, long time.

Funny, this is probably one of the most malt-dominated beers I've had in a while, and yet "sweet" is about the last word I would use to describe it. Fairly full in the mouth, and very complex in flavor. Tough to drink a lot of in one sitting, but this is a beer that I'm definitely looking forward to going back to.

08-31-2004 02:45:42 | More by mzwolinski
Bighuge

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Auburn tone. Streaks of scarlet. Decent clarity. Thin brown head recedes to a thick collar. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Chocolate, burnt toast, roasted malt, dusty grain and cocoa.

Taste: The flavor has a dry grainy aspect. Dry cocoa powder. Chalky hops. Burnt malts. But there's a sweet lacto feel to it as well. All in all, it's a nice little Ying-Yang type of thing going on that makes for a pleasant tug of war.

Mouthfeel: Chalky dry. Lightly carbonated. Medium bodied at best. Pleasing enough.

Drinkability: I usually grade drinkability by answering the following question, "How much desire do I have to drink this beer again??" instead of "How many of these could I kick back in a sitting??" While I could put a lot of these back in a sitting, I also have much desire to drink this beer again. So I give it a high rating for drinkability. It's very flavorful and an enjoyable experience all 'round.

Without the Bum on my side, I don't think I'd have tried any of the last 3 Anniversary Ales from Stone. So I thank you yet again, King of the Bums.

01-12-2005 05:37:39 | More by Bighuge
spazaru

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Had on tap after touring Stone's new brewery in Escondido. Great tour by the way. Definitely make time for it. Nice folks, and a lot of information.

It's too bad that this was a Stone special release because I would like this all of the time. The smell was very roasty, more so than many coffee stouts. Hell more than most coffee!

The taste was complex; started out like a strong nut brown but without the nuts, if you can imagine, with more roastiness in the aftertaste. No alcohol was apparent in the flavor but at close to 8% I felt it pretty quick since I was on an empty stomach.

Excellent all around brew that I hope they will keep making. Maybe they can feature this one when they get the restaurant up and running (supposedly by June).

I would have picked up a growler, but predictably the place was hopping (pardon the pun), and the lines were long.

02-18-2006 14:47:54 | More by spazaru
AllThingsNinja

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

I enjoyed this exceptional brew on draft at Anam Cara. It was served in a wineglass and seemed quite unlike a traditional American brown. The aroma of chocolate and wood hat subtle hints of burnt malt. The flavors were more complex blending fig, straw and other notes with a chocolate and woody base. It was an exquisitely well bodied sipping beer that managed to hide its alcohol well. It would be very interesting to see what a year or so of aging would do to the flavors.

10-31-2004 15:10:35 | More by AllThingsNinja
Gusler

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

The beer after its disinterment from the 22-ounce brown bottle lies ever so inviting in the glass a translucent burnished copper with a persistent light tan and somewhat frothy head, after its demise the residual lace is an encircling sheet of fine lace. Nose is sweet with malt, hints of caramel and the mouth-watering aroma of the hop flower, start is delectable in its grain presence, lightly sweet with the top moderate in its feel. Finish is annoying in its acidity with the hops determined and the aftertaste desert dry, ah what a treat to the palate and the other senses.

08-13-2005 23:57:44 | More by Gusler
DarkerTheBetter

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

I really enjoyed pouring this beer. The color of the stream of beer flowing into my glass was fantastic. Dark amber with traces of gold. Picks up a lot more red and burgundy in my tulip. The small copper bubbled head was disappointingly momentary.

Smells delightfully of heavy malts with caramel, molasses and a hint of coffee. There’s also a citrus wafting around in the background adding a lot of life to this one. Smells a lot like a barley wine.

Tastes more like a brown ale. There’s a delicate charred wood and burnt oat malt flavor here paired with a pear sweetness. There’s also a light bitter sourness that I can feel more than I can taste that sends electric tingles along the edges of my tongue. This fades into a roasted coffee that drifts up into my nose in the finish. My only concern is that a little bit of oxidized metal slips into the finish as well. Over all, there are some very busy, meandering dynamics here.

The mouth feel is light, dense and clean with a very small carbonation that adds a unique element to the feel.

Tasty!

03-03-2006 21:57:46 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Overlord

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Was able to pick this up at the Pizza Port Carlsbad Stone Event. Always sad to drink a beer you know you'll never see again.

Gorgeous brownish-copper color. Small white head. The smell is pure caramel and malt. Not a lot of carbonation, settles into the glass rapidly.

The taste is lovely. Chocolate, caramel, and malt with a tinge of grapefruit hop aftertaste. I don't know if it's the aging, or what, but this beer tastes significantly better than the reviews would lead me to believe. This is particularly astonishing as I don't typically like brown ales.

I could drink this all day. But, sadly, never will get to.

09-29-2007 20:25:03 | More by Overlord
francisweizen

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

DArk brown, near black with tan edges and a huge beige head. Huge aromas of sweet malts, spices, subtle chocolate, nice roasted malt notes and more. The taste is a bit booz up front with a strange malty sweetness. Where are the hops, guys!? Anyway the flavor than takes an awesome turn for the better when some lovely spicy notes come into the picture. The finish is chocolate-like, sweet, roasty, and yet somehow a bit dry. The mouthfeel is medium bodied-full and the drinkability is outstanding. Great stuff!

09-16-2004 19:48:00 | More by francisweizen
chilidog

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I pulled thisone from the cellar after it laid six months or so. I save the Anniversary Ales for around my wed anniversary. Ok, thats my gimmick.
It poured a nice dark ruby color with a good off-white head. Lace was a faded web like but stuck around. The aroma was sweet, caramel like malt. The taste had a sweet toffee, caramelized nut favor with notes of brown sugar. Now hold on, all that was balanced well with a calm hop bitterness, making this a well balanced mix and a smooth drink. The mouth was pleased for its a easy, non offending brew. A nice style, a nice change from the norm for this Stone. Very smooth, I wish I bought more.

03-19-2005 13:09:38 | More by chilidog
brewdlyhooked13

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - a very dark amber pour, but when held to light becomes iced tea color. A good-sized head of a finger or more recedes forthwith, leaving bits and pieces of lace on the glass.

Aroma - an initial nose of Belgian-style sweetness. As the head falls down into the glass, aromas of cherry and chocolate emerge. A waft of booze is picked up now and then. Smells like a dessert beer. Fortunately for me, I ate *all* my supper so I am entitled... :-)

Taste - very malty...and sweet...and bitter...now *that's* a workout for the tastebuds! The sweetness is a base sugary feeling, not consistently connected to any particular food. At times it lends itself to some chocolate notes that occasionally peek through the thick veil of alcohol. For a 7.8 abv brew it comes across like a 10+. The sweet/bitter are both intense, I like the balance. The swallow brings out a full force moment of booziness and then the aftertaste hits bitter at the back of my tongue and throat. About 20 to 30 seconds after, there is a mild coffee flavor sneaking in that doesn't show up anywhere else in the flavor profile. Yummy stuff.

Mouthfeel - very average in all aspects;doesn't get in the way, just lets the flavor do its thing.

Drinkability - a most tasty bomber that I would surely have again.

03-01-2006 04:09:41 | More by brewdlyhooked13
bultrey

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I don't want to overanalyze this beer. A kick-ass brown ale (with all due respect to Albany Pump Station's "Kick-ass brown"), this thing just drinks like a big old brown sugar bomb. It has such great molasses notes, and a little bit of nuttiness, it reminds me a bit of a New Orleans-style praline. However, just the right amount of aggressive hoppiness balances things out, and the finish, while smooth, rich, and full-flavored, does dry out enough to invite sip after luscious sip.

Man, I love this beer. It's a good thing that my local beer store still has several of these in stock... and drinking better than ever. Get your hands on some before it's all gone.

04-04-2006 01:21:31 | More by bultrey
goschool

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Consumed on the evening of 9/7/06. A two year old brown ale? Stone's tasting notes from March were more than promising.

The pour is a blend of dark brown and amber, but its fiery red hue comes out when I hold it up to the light. Oooh, welcome to 4.5 country. The second pour brought way more head.

The nose has a lot more milk chocolate than I remember this having two years ago. That's always a great characteristic. There are caramel malts, figs, nuts and I'm getting currant every four sniffs.

This is one chocolaty brown ale. Sweet malts bring chocolate, camel, dark fruit, and nuts. This was fairly hoppy when it was fresh, but today, the hops stay in the background in a much more supportive role.

I don't have another bottle, but if I did, I would wait to see how this beer continues to develop.

09-08-2006 06:37:30 | More by goschool
Phocion

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

22 oz. bomber poured between my roommate and myself. Dark brown with slight hint of red and a resilient finger and a half of smooth brown head and thick lacing.

Little identifiable hops have survived the four-year storage, and the malts here are huge. Very aggressive and in-your-face dark maltiness; roasted nuts, somewhat caramel, and even a bit chocolatey.

A little more bitter and much better balanced in the taste than the aroma, with somewhat of a piney hoppiness, though the malts still dominate.

Somewhat thick and syrupy, but still very drinkable. This one definely held up through the years.

08-06-2008 22:50:35 | More by Phocion
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours out a transparent ruby tinged shade of brown, typical to that of an American Brown Ale. The head is off white and rolls up respectably, but does indeed recede to very thin layer rather quickly. It doesn’t look like there is a lot of carbonation action going on within the body. I don’t ever think I’ve had a brown ale that smelled this good before. Thick toasty caramel scent, with a light tint of coffee and a sprinkling of spicy hop. I keep finding my nose over the glass taking a whiff of this, because I enjoy it so much. I didn’t know what to expect when first tasting it, but it makes perfect sense. This is exactly what I would expect a Brown Ale brewed by Stone to taste like. All the flavors you would expect from the style, just all a lot more keyed up and assertive. One of the things about Brown Ales that throws me a little bit, I just think they’re a little too subtle for me most of the time. That is not the case here. I perceive the flavors of milk chocolate coated caramel (ever have that resin candy?). I pick up some vague fruity esters in the middle, hints of vanilla and oak as well. The hops vibrate flatly and densely, and register with a spicy pang in the finish. Surprisingly, a puff of alcohol fumes actually does peep up as I swallow. A good bit fuller in the mouth than your typical brown too A great, great beer from a very unhyped style, and Stone pulls it off once again. (what can’t they do?)

Note: I almost gave myself arthritis removing the rubber seal from the bottom of the cap to learn that “Stone entered Ohio in August of 2001”. Congratulations Ohio circa 2001!!!

10-03-2004 02:13:02 | More by FormatKid
Ellbert

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: A dark brownish/amber. There was a small very bubbly head that faded and didn't leave much. It was very clear however which was nice.

Smell: Caramel and chocolate permiated the area around this brew. Very malty aroma which was exactly what I was looking for.

Taste: The best balanced Brown Ale I have had. Robust flavors of caramel and chocolate come through. Some subtle hops come around with hints of alcohol. Very balanced and flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Just a little thin. I could tell this from the head. A decent mouthfeel though.

Overall a really great beer. Very drinkable. If it wasn't for the price I would drink this all the time.

02-10-2005 13:21:27 | More by Ellbert
trancefishy

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma, delicious smelling. Wow. Smells of chestnuts and dark brown sugar. A bit earthy and woodsy, but, in a shy sort of way. No alcohol presence or yeast aromas, just a great heady aroma that is making me salivate.

Taste. Smooth and mild. Great character and body. That brown sugar taste is coming through spendidly, but the beer itself is not really sweet. It’s a nice balance between this brown sugar and a nice, sort of springtime bitterness.

Mouthfeel is superb, carbonation is just right, not even noticeable as you are just concentratingn on the wonderful flavour of this beer.

Drinkability is wow, I’m really glad I have a whole 22oz to myself!

I knew this beer wasn't going to suck, but, well, I am really surprised by how much i really love this one. It exemplifies everything I think a beer should be. Sturdy and delicious smelling and tasting. some nice simple tastes you can enjoy without thinking about, but a little extra layer of complexity in case you want to dig around. I'm glad to have run into this one when I did.

05-05-2005 02:41:55 | More by trancefishy
Citadel82

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

It pours a clear chestnut amber, ruby highlights on the fringes when held up to the light. Three full fingers of creamy cafe-au-lait head that slowly erodes to a pancake of head. Descending rings of creamy lacing circle the glass marking the passing of each sip.

The aroma is caramel and toasted malt sweetness, dried fruit currants, and berries. almost port-like. Minimal vinous hops a definite smell of alcohol.

The first sip tells you this is no ordinary brown ale. Toasted caramel malt sweetness and fruity notes, along with touches of port with a definite lingering presence of alcohol. As the alcohol and sweetness wains a definite dose of hops makes a welcome appearance. The finish is longish and dry and bitter. The flavor profile matches an old ale more than a brown.

Medium bodied, it lingers on the palate.

This is a bold and drinkable beer that seems to have mellowed since the early reviews. The hops while there were well muted and in keeping with what I expect from a brown ale. The sweetness is there and dominates the bitter, but it is not cloying in the least. Glad I picked up a second bottle. I may just have to grab more.

01-28-2006 19:46:23 | More by Citadel82
Floydster

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Small pour of this at Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel today on my way into LA from the IE during their Stone 11th Anniversary celebration, this was the best tap offered topday, but it changes often

Only 4 bucks for this while a 22 ounce bottle was 23 dollars, not a hard choice

Left with a bottle of 9th Anniversary that I will review later when I decide to open it

Pour was a medium brown and smell nice and nutty

This beer was great with a roasted malt taste that stuck around for a long time

Had no head on it because keg is three years old, but still very very good

Could drink this all day, but it would get very expensive

09-14-2007 21:46:36 | More by Floydster
ccrida

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Bomber that I acquired (I think from yobdoog) in my first trade ~2 years ago and never got around to drinking until this snowy sunday. Poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Stone's 8th anny is a dark brown with a small, large bubbled eggshell head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is mainly grassy hops that I recognize as more of an aged citrus hop - I reckon this was quite the hop blast when it was fresh. Otherwise it's rather understated. The lack of malt notes had me fearing this had aged way to long, but thankfully that's not at all the case! Served at 55F, a hint of caramel came out as it warmed, but really there was no significant improvement.

Taste is really pretty full, this sucker sure has held up well being that it's over 4 years old! Big caramel, slightly nutty, some light citrus hops, wow, this is fantastic, smooth but lots of flavor, not at all like I expected for it's age. Frankly, I'm shocked!

Mouthfeel is smooth and slight, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great. If this wasn't a rare one-off that I'll surely never have again, I would give it a 5. The ABV is totally hidden, this is just a killer brown ale. If I could by this buy the case, I'd surely overindulge every session!

12-30-2008 21:21:46 | More by ccrida
koopa

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottled: 2004
Consumed: 2009

220z bomber takin out of the cellar and poured into a Chimay Goblet.

Appearance: translucent brown with honey red corners. A decent 1 finger foam head with minimal retention and a touch of lacing.

Smell: loads of nutty malty notes that just entrace your nose. At times the smell borders boozy but never actually crosses the line. This smells delicate and declicious.

Taste: Oh my this is just a home run! The flavors are soft and well balanced, if not homogenized. Nutty goodness coupled with a touch of brown sugar and cola. But despite the notes mentioned, the sweetness is really down. This is delicious with the residual sugars consumed.

Mouthfeel: Very good considering this bottle is 5 years old. Still enough carbonation to make it a nice experience.

Drinkability: This is smooth and still has enough carbonation. Now is the time to enjoy this vintage people. I don't see it getting any better with additional time!

04-19-2009 18:34:25 | More by koopa
hero27

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber. Beautiful Rogue etching all the way around..they've got to have the coolest looking in the industry, as far as I'm concerned.

Looks great in the oversized tulip...Poured damn near the whole bomber into it before the head rose to the top. Leaves nice sheets of lacing all the way down as well.
Smell is full of chocolate, roasted malts. No hops, just a sweet, delicious roasty aroma.
Ok, I spoke too soon..the hops were just hiding..and they come out in full-force on the first swig. Definitely has some "brown ale" qualities to it, but I'm almost thinking it tastes a bit like a barleywine. I, personally, have never tasted a brown ale with quite this much hops (or even flavor, for that matter).
Tastes surprisingly well-balanced and the 7.8% abv is a nice boost to this gem as well. Even with the added alcohol, this slides down the hatch as well as anything.

I really thought this was an exceptional beer. Unexpected roasted character from a Stone brew.
Acquired via Px2GrafX in BIF trade. Thanks again!

09-07-2005 22:59:14 | More by hero27
TheLongBeachBum

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

8th Anniversary Ale, August 2004 - Sampled at 2 Years Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the next few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: Massive tan head, thick, auspicious looks, conspicuous lacing and the highly detailed collapsed, creamy and rocky contours, are just as intriguing as the Moons surface. Body is hazed with a dark treacle like stance; this renders all the qualities of the Bastard child of a drunken one night stand between a Newcastle Brown Ale and a Bloody Mary….. solid stuff, looks much better than the last bottle I had 6 months ago. Lasting Kopf runs rings down the glass, conditioning is super fine.

Nose: Past experience has been of a reticent nose, not so after 2 years!!! It positively leaps out of the glass; crushed figs, soft prunes, milk chocolate and a lovely silky hop character that wraps itself around the darker fruits. The aromas are stronger and the score picks up a few clicks here, just enough to pull a 4.0 with ease, but miss out on a 4.5 by the thickness of a mosquito’s pubic hair.

Taste: Hmmmm, Willy Wonka would be proud. The chocolately nature is progressing nicely and has rounded out with some age. It melds with prunes, figs and a smidgen of Lyle’s Black Treacle to offer a smooth silky effort. Hints of molasses and soaked wood punctuate the lingering tail long after the Cadburys milk chocolate after-taste fades. Dark Jamaican Rum and Cappuccino even comes to mind after a half Bomber. Strikingly good and I am surprised how much this has “picked up” in just 6 months since I last tried it. The complexity is developing; the previously easy to recognize bitterness is now hard to separate from the chocolate tones, it bonds to form an aphrodisiac chocolate coated hoppyness which hypnotizes with a sexual nature.

Mouthfeel: One thing that the Stone Anniversary brews exhibit, is a strong long term conditioning. Not one of the previous Stones, even the 6th Smoked Porter, has suffered. The 8th is no different. Finely dissolved conditioning, silky, talcum powder soft with a slickness that would rival Du Pont’s Teflon®. Oh so easy, all too effortless. The 8% is long gone, but I am sure it is still hiding, successfully camouflaged in and amongst the chocolate hops. Very good.

Drinkability: The dark fruits, addictive chocolate, smooth belly and attractive back end all make for a brew that disappears waaaay too quickly. Intensely flavorful, with an excellent poise from the carbonation, and a rich rewarding dark complexity in the finish - this is perfect right now, so hard to put down, yet so easy to “put down”. Precarious!

Overall: Just like the start of the English Premiership League, this is a very welcome “August return” which, with 8 bottles left, will no doubt be a Perennial favorite for some time to come I feel - I hope!! Whereas the “airy-fairy” fanciful unbalanced 9th bombed in my eyes and was a Bridge Too Far; I can’t help but think that this (the 8th) was a **very** successful detour for Stone. The 8th “works” extremely well for me. This is definitely Stones best “style detour” in the Anniversary line-up for my money. I am digging the journey of the 8th and I am also thinking that this could get better yet.

08-25-2006 05:02:20 | More by TheLongBeachBum
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via trade from Fishdawg71, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very robust with roasted nuts and caramelized malts. In the background there's a touch of hops and spice.

T: The taste is malty and kind of sweet in the way that this type beer should be. Flavors of nuts, caramel and maple are the dominant ones. There's a mild hops presence as you would expect. The after-taste is slightly smoky and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style. Given that this is a Stone beer and that it's a brown ale, I was unsure of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by how well this beer has held up after nearly 4 years for a style that typically doesn't age well. This is yet another well-made beer by the brewery that does it the best.

04-20-2008 01:09:23 | More by TheManiacalOne
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a clear ruby red with some brown traces, small off white head, lace. Smell is rich malt, some chocolate, nice grassy floral hops. Taste is very rich, chocolate malt, complex floral hops, little bit of alcohol. Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation, smooth and dry. Very tasty, I really enjoyed it. Thanks DrJay.

08-19-2005 01:42:06 | More by Viggo
mattcrill

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Pours dark amber and cloudy with a tight tan head. Not nearly as carbonated as the 7th.

Smell: Roasted, some dark fruits, walnuts, a slight yeasty must smell, and brown sugar.

Taste: Molasses, brown sugar, honey first. Then roast, coffee bitterness in the middle and finishing with a mild hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and the carbonation remains lively on the palate.

Drinkability: Highly slammable. Reminds me of a porter in some respects. I can't say that I've ever had a bad beer from Stone. These Anniversary beers deserve all the hype they can garner.

11-06-2005 13:41:14 | More by mattcrill
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.