Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 264 | Reviews: 231
3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured a deep brown in color with ruby tones around the edge of my glass with a thin off-white head to compliment. Nose is oddly hoppy for a brown ale, almost astringent though there is that typical nut quality present. Taste isn't nearly as harsh as the nose would have you believe, though it still is a bit unbalanced, the bitterness overwhelms the other qualities. Alcohol too is very noticable which I think takes something away from it. The best I can say about this is that it pushes the limits of the style... I just don't like the direction they're pushing it in.

To each his own in the end, but in my honest opinion there are far better brown ales out there but worth a try if you like hoppy beers and want to try a brown ale.

Slàinte!

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

A- Thin tan head on a cloudy dark brown body.
S- Toffee malts. Maybe a bit stale smell. Some chocolate also.
T- Some strong toffee and chocolate malts. Some stale taste going on. I think it is past its prime by a year or two. Pretty sweet also. Some alcohol does make it through but nothing big. Bit of a dry hop notice also. It helps balance it a little but doesn't really do anything big for it. I'm not sure if the hops are supposed to be that low of if they have lost their bang over the years (hoping they lost their bang).
M- Thinner body. Maybe it's a very thin medium. Low carbonation but enough to leave a little tingle on the tongue.
D- I think it is past its prime and is nothing amazing, or even to good. It is kind of hard to drink.

2.88/5  rDev -28%

My local store always waits weeks and weeks before putting the beer they get on the shelves. Pisses me off to no end, but lets me get a little word of mouth about the beers before I plunk down my preciou$ ca$h. This one came recommended from a Stone-head. I should have known that some people will support their team to the end. Especially when you're within Stone-throw of Chicago. Damned cubbies.

Those crazy asses at Stone would be the ones to create a ~8% ABV beer and call it a mild. The rambings on the bottle are just getting increasingly incoherent.

Deep scarlett in color. Smallish head, no lace.

Malt monster. Hints of booze on nose.

This beer is hard to describe other than that its a malty disaster. The bitterness here isn't the tangerine-like roundedness of other Stoney's. No hints of floral hops, just unbalanced bitterness and lots of hints of a brown ale on steroids.

If this beer is made as a counterpoint of all their hoppy beers, well, i'm okay with it. But on its own, come on. I would never get this again.

To paraphrase Moe the bartender, this beer is post-modern. Weird for the sake of being weird.

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

Appearance- looks like coca-cola, dark brownish black with a bubbly head.
Smell- creamy stout with malt and alcohol.
Taste- a stout Ale hybrid with a mix of rubbing alcohol to boot.

Overall- the alcohol is too present. Ruins the beer in my opinion. Beer has a nice stout creaminess and an ale malty cripness but it's ruined by the high alcohol content.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a cloudy, medium-dark brown. No head or lacing. Smells of prunes, raisins, anise, and chocolate. No roasted aromas detected. Smell is offensively sweet. Tastes is also of prunes and raisins, no "brown" characteristics until the end, when it finishes with a slight malt-husk bitterness. No hoppiness detected (that makes it sounds like a landmine). Mouthfeel is thick but dead. I have no idea why this beer is classified as an American Brown Ale; it definitely sems like a brother of English Browns like Samuel Smith, Riggwelter Yorkshire, Hobgoblin, etc. The sickening sweetness reminds me of Thomas Hardy's Ale. This is not at all what I am looking for in a brown.

Thanks to RealityDeviant for the bottle.

2.37/5  rDev -40.8%

Picked up by my beerbuddy FormatKid, along with a few other goodies.

Poured a deep copper brown color. Absolutely gorgeous. Tan head formed, but didn't stick around long at all. Dammit!

The aroma is raisiny caramel. Reminds me of a homebrewed barleywine of mine where I used just a bit much Special B. Hops are very assertive, with a raw grassy aroma. Alcohol makes it's presence known by driving the hops straight into your brain.

The taste is not good. The alcohol dominates the flavor. It is almost as if someone took a hoppy brown ale, poured it in a glass, and spiked it with a shot of vodka. I think the herbal flavor hops are driving me faster towards that decision. The malt is a touch dry, and this only exascerbates the problem. It is raisiny/pruney in nature, and just kinda turns the tongue off as soon as it hits. This is a huge disappointment for me, but hey, I can't like every beer, right?

Mouthfeel is just a touch too dry and astringent. Again, the malt and hops are accentuating this in the worst possible way.

As a result of the taste and mouthfeel, I have to give this one low marks for drinkability. It's going to be a real struggle to finish this one. It's a damn shame, because I really love the other Stone brews I've had, and was really looking forward to this beer, but it just simply does not agree with my tastebuds. :-/

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.