Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004)
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Consumed on the evening of 9/7/06. A two year old brown ale? Stone's tasting notes from March were more than promising.

The pour is a blend of dark brown and amber, but its fiery red hue comes out when I hold it up to the light. Oooh, welcome to 4.5 country. The second pour brought way more head.

The nose has a lot more milk chocolate than I remember this having two years ago. That's always a great characteristic. There are caramel malts, figs, nuts and I'm getting currant every four sniffs.

This is one chocolaty brown ale. Sweet malts bring chocolate, camel, dark fruit, and nuts. This was fairly hoppy when it was fresh, but today, the hops stay in the background in a much more supportive role.

I don't have another bottle, but if I did, I would wait to see how this beer continues to develop.

goschool, Sep 08, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

DArk brown, near black with tan edges and a huge beige head. Huge aromas of sweet malts, spices, subtle chocolate, nice roasted malt notes and more. The taste is a bit booz up front with a strange malty sweetness. Where are the hops, guys!? Anyway the flavor than takes an awesome turn for the better when some lovely spicy notes come into the picture. The finish is chocolate-like, sweet, roasty, and yet somehow a bit dry. The mouthfeel is medium bodied-full and the drinkability is outstanding. Great stuff!

francisweizen, Sep 16, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I pulled thisone from the cellar after it laid six months or so. I save the Anniversary Ales for around my wed anniversary. Ok, thats my gimmick.
It poured a nice dark ruby color with a good off-white head. Lace was a faded web like but stuck around. The aroma was sweet, caramel like malt. The taste had a sweet toffee, caramelized nut favor with notes of brown sugar. Now hold on, all that was balanced well with a calm hop bitterness, making this a well balanced mix and a smooth drink. The mouth was pleased for its a easy, non offending brew. A nice style, a nice change from the norm for this Stone. Very smooth, I wish I bought more.

chilidog, Mar 19, 2005

RyanGoodman, Feb 16, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: A dark brownish/amber. There was a small very bubbly head that faded and didn't leave much. It was very clear however which was nice.

Smell: Caramel and chocolate permiated the area around this brew. Very malty aroma which was exactly what I was looking for.

Taste: The best balanced Brown Ale I have had. Robust flavors of caramel and chocolate come through. Some subtle hops come around with hints of alcohol. Very balanced and flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Just a little thin. I could tell this from the head. A decent mouthfeel though.

Overall a really great beer. Very drinkable. If it wasn't for the price I would drink this all the time.

Ellbert, Feb 10, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours out a transparent ruby tinged shade of brown, typical to that of an American Brown Ale. The head is off white and rolls up respectably, but does indeed recede to very thin layer rather quickly. It doesn’t look like there is a lot of carbonation action going on within the body. I don’t ever think I’ve had a brown ale that smelled this good before. Thick toasty caramel scent, with a light tint of coffee and a sprinkling of spicy hop. I keep finding my nose over the glass taking a whiff of this, because I enjoy it so much. I didn’t know what to expect when first tasting it, but it makes perfect sense. This is exactly what I would expect a Brown Ale brewed by Stone to taste like. All the flavors you would expect from the style, just all a lot more keyed up and assertive. One of the things about Brown Ales that throws me a little bit, I just think they’re a little too subtle for me most of the time. That is not the case here. I perceive the flavors of milk chocolate coated caramel (ever have that resin candy?). I pick up some vague fruity esters in the middle, hints of vanilla and oak as well. The hops vibrate flatly and densely, and register with a spicy pang in the finish. Surprisingly, a puff of alcohol fumes actually does peep up as I swallow. A good bit fuller in the mouth than your typical brown too A great, great beer from a very unhyped style, and Stone pulls it off once again. (what can’t they do?)

Note: I almost gave myself arthritis removing the rubber seal from the bottom of the cap to learn that “Stone entered Ohio in August of 2001”. Congratulations Ohio circa 2001!!!

FormatKid, Oct 03, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

It pours a clear chestnut amber, ruby highlights on the fringes when held up to the light. Three full fingers of creamy cafe-au-lait head that slowly erodes to a pancake of head. Descending rings of creamy lacing circle the glass marking the passing of each sip.

The aroma is caramel and toasted malt sweetness, dried fruit currants, and berries. almost port-like. Minimal vinous hops a definite smell of alcohol.

The first sip tells you this is no ordinary brown ale. Toasted caramel malt sweetness and fruity notes, along with touches of port with a definite lingering presence of alcohol. As the alcohol and sweetness wains a definite dose of hops makes a welcome appearance. The finish is longish and dry and bitter. The flavor profile matches an old ale more than a brown.

Medium bodied, it lingers on the palate.

This is a bold and drinkable beer that seems to have mellowed since the early reviews. The hops while there were well muted and in keeping with what I expect from a brown ale. The sweetness is there and dominates the bitter, but it is not cloying in the least. Glad I picked up a second bottle. I may just have to grab more.

Citadel82, Jan 28, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma, delicious smelling. Wow. Smells of chestnuts and dark brown sugar. A bit earthy and woodsy, but, in a shy sort of way. No alcohol presence or yeast aromas, just a great heady aroma that is making me salivate.

Taste. Smooth and mild. Great character and body. That brown sugar taste is coming through spendidly, but the beer itself is not really sweet. It’s a nice balance between this brown sugar and a nice, sort of springtime bitterness.

Mouthfeel is superb, carbonation is just right, not even noticeable as you are just concentratingn on the wonderful flavour of this beer.

Drinkability is wow, I’m really glad I have a whole 22oz to myself!

I knew this beer wasn't going to suck, but, well, I am really surprised by how much i really love this one. It exemplifies everything I think a beer should be. Sturdy and delicious smelling and tasting. some nice simple tastes you can enjoy without thinking about, but a little extra layer of complexity in case you want to dig around. I'm glad to have run into this one when I did.

trancefishy, May 05, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Small pour of this at Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel today on my way into LA from the IE during their Stone 11th Anniversary celebration, this was the best tap offered topday, but it changes often

Only 4 bucks for this while a 22 ounce bottle was 23 dollars, not a hard choice

Left with a bottle of 9th Anniversary that I will review later when I decide to open it

Pour was a medium brown and smell nice and nutty

This beer was great with a roasted malt taste that stuck around for a long time

Had no head on it because keg is three years old, but still very very good

Could drink this all day, but it would get very expensive

Floydster, Sep 14, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Bomber that I acquired (I think from yobdoog) in my first trade ~2 years ago and never got around to drinking until this snowy sunday. Poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Stone's 8th anny is a dark brown with a small, large bubbled eggshell head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is mainly grassy hops that I recognize as more of an aged citrus hop - I reckon this was quite the hop blast when it was fresh. Otherwise it's rather understated. The lack of malt notes had me fearing this had aged way to long, but thankfully that's not at all the case! Served at 55F, a hint of caramel came out as it warmed, but really there was no significant improvement.

Taste is really pretty full, this sucker sure has held up well being that it's over 4 years old! Big caramel, slightly nutty, some light citrus hops, wow, this is fantastic, smooth but lots of flavor, not at all like I expected for it's age. Frankly, I'm shocked!

Mouthfeel is smooth and slight, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great. If this wasn't a rare one-off that I'll surely never have again, I would give it a 5. The ABV is totally hidden, this is just a killer brown ale. If I could by this buy the case, I'd surely overindulge every session!

ccrida, Dec 30, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottled: 2004
Consumed: 2009

220z bomber takin out of the cellar and poured into a Chimay Goblet.

Appearance: translucent brown with honey red corners. A decent 1 finger foam head with minimal retention and a touch of lacing.

Smell: loads of nutty malty notes that just entrace your nose. At times the smell borders boozy but never actually crosses the line. This smells delicate and declicious.

Taste: Oh my this is just a home run! The flavors are soft and well balanced, if not homogenized. Nutty goodness coupled with a touch of brown sugar and cola. But despite the notes mentioned, the sweetness is really down. This is delicious with the residual sugars consumed.

Mouthfeel: Very good considering this bottle is 5 years old. Still enough carbonation to make it a nice experience.

Drinkability: This is smooth and still has enough carbonation. Now is the time to enjoy this vintage people. I don't see it getting any better with additional time!

koopa, Apr 19, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via trade from Fishdawg71, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very robust with roasted nuts and caramelized malts. In the background there's a touch of hops and spice.

T: The taste is malty and kind of sweet in the way that this type beer should be. Flavors of nuts, caramel and maple are the dominant ones. There's a mild hops presence as you would expect. The after-taste is slightly smoky and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style. Given that this is a Stone beer and that it's a brown ale, I was unsure of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by how well this beer has held up after nearly 4 years for a style that typically doesn't age well. This is yet another well-made beer by the brewery that does it the best.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 20, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

8th Anniversary Ale, August 2004 - Sampled at 2 Years Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the next few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: Massive tan head, thick, auspicious looks, conspicuous lacing and the highly detailed collapsed, creamy and rocky contours, are just as intriguing as the Moons surface. Body is hazed with a dark treacle like stance; this renders all the qualities of the Bastard child of a drunken one night stand between a Newcastle Brown Ale and a Bloody Mary….. solid stuff, looks much better than the last bottle I had 6 months ago. Lasting Kopf runs rings down the glass, conditioning is super fine.

Nose: Past experience has been of a reticent nose, not so after 2 years!!! It positively leaps out of the glass; crushed figs, soft prunes, milk chocolate and a lovely silky hop character that wraps itself around the darker fruits. The aromas are stronger and the score picks up a few clicks here, just enough to pull a 4.0 with ease, but miss out on a 4.5 by the thickness of a mosquito’s pubic hair.

Taste: Hmmmm, Willy Wonka would be proud. The chocolately nature is progressing nicely and has rounded out with some age. It melds with prunes, figs and a smidgen of Lyle’s Black Treacle to offer a smooth silky effort. Hints of molasses and soaked wood punctuate the lingering tail long after the Cadburys milk chocolate after-taste fades. Dark Jamaican Rum and Cappuccino even comes to mind after a half Bomber. Strikingly good and I am surprised how much this has “picked up” in just 6 months since I last tried it. The complexity is developing; the previously easy to recognize bitterness is now hard to separate from the chocolate tones, it bonds to form an aphrodisiac chocolate coated hoppyness which hypnotizes with a sexual nature.

Mouthfeel: One thing that the Stone Anniversary brews exhibit, is a strong long term conditioning. Not one of the previous Stones, even the 6th Smoked Porter, has suffered. The 8th is no different. Finely dissolved conditioning, silky, talcum powder soft with a slickness that would rival Du Pont’s Teflon®. Oh so easy, all too effortless. The 8% is long gone, but I am sure it is still hiding, successfully camouflaged in and amongst the chocolate hops. Very good.

Drinkability: The dark fruits, addictive chocolate, smooth belly and attractive back end all make for a brew that disappears waaaay too quickly. Intensely flavorful, with an excellent poise from the carbonation, and a rich rewarding dark complexity in the finish - this is perfect right now, so hard to put down, yet so easy to “put down”. Precarious!

Overall: Just like the start of the English Premiership League, this is a very welcome “August return” which, with 8 bottles left, will no doubt be a Perennial favorite for some time to come I feel - I hope!! Whereas the “airy-fairy” fanciful unbalanced 9th bombed in my eyes and was a Bridge Too Far; I can’t help but think that this (the 8th) was a **very** successful detour for Stone. The 8th “works” extremely well for me. This is definitely Stones best “style detour” in the Anniversary line-up for my money. I am digging the journey of the 8th and I am also thinking that this could get better yet.

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 25, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber. Beautiful Rogue etching all the way around..they've got to have the coolest looking in the industry, as far as I'm concerned.

Looks great in the oversized tulip...Poured damn near the whole bomber into it before the head rose to the top. Leaves nice sheets of lacing all the way down as well.
Smell is full of chocolate, roasted malts. No hops, just a sweet, delicious roasty aroma.
Ok, I spoke too soon..the hops were just hiding..and they come out in full-force on the first swig. Definitely has some "brown ale" qualities to it, but I'm almost thinking it tastes a bit like a barleywine. I, personally, have never tasted a brown ale with quite this much hops (or even flavor, for that matter).
Tastes surprisingly well-balanced and the 7.8% abv is a nice boost to this gem as well. Even with the added alcohol, this slides down the hatch as well as anything.

I really thought this was an exceptional beer. Unexpected roasted character from a Stone brew.
Acquired via Px2GrafX in BIF trade. Thanks again!

hero27, Sep 07, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought at Keg 'N Bottle in Isla Vista a few months ago.

A: Cloudy reddish brown with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves lacing.

S: Smells kind of winey and of raisins.

T: Winey sort of taste, like the smell. Also has raisins, dates and other wonderful flavors. Nice bit of tang to it also. Relatively complex by this point, and quite tasty. Despite the age (and possible bad storing conditions before bought), there is no oxidation.

M: Mouthfeel is slightly on the thin side for Stone, but not so much that it detracts. Finish is on the dry side.

D: Very, very drinkable. Tasty and not heavy.

This has aged nicely. Recommended.

rallison, Mar 11, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a clear ruby red with some brown traces, small off white head, lace. Smell is rich malt, some chocolate, nice grassy floral hops. Taste is very rich, chocolate malt, complex floral hops, little bit of alcohol. Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation, smooth and dry. Very tasty, I really enjoyed it. Thanks DrJay.

Viggo, Aug 19, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Pours dark amber and cloudy with a tight tan head. Not nearly as carbonated as the 7th.

Smell: Roasted, some dark fruits, walnuts, a slight yeasty must smell, and brown sugar.

Taste: Molasses, brown sugar, honey first. Then roast, coffee bitterness in the middle and finishing with a mild hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and the carbonation remains lively on the palate.

Drinkability: Highly slammable. Reminds me of a porter in some respects. I can't say that I've ever had a bad beer from Stone. These Anniversary beers deserve all the hype they can garner.

mattcrill, Nov 06, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

A-Ruby with yellow/orange on the fringes of the glass. Head that rises a finger and a half before dropping to barely anything.

S- Very malty, nutty, rich and can be smelt from a good 4 feet away. goood.

T- Nutty, a tad of roast, some caramel, toast, and a tinge of hop bitterness at the very very end.

M- smooth with a bit of carbonation...was almost along the lines of a cask ale...just barely got the fizz left in it but it holds well.

D- This is a very very drinkable 7.8%er. Has a lasting finish and is smooth as silk. time has done this one well. I'll be picking a few more bottles of this up next year.

slayer3604, Nov 16, 2009

On-tap at Anam Cara.

Color is a deep, deep dark brown with a thin and wispy layer of tan lace that barely leaves any laced on the glass. Aromas are a mix of roasted nut, bitter chocolate, and some fresh hops. Flavor is quite interesting. With the style listed as a brown ale, this on certainly kicked it up about 14 notches. Imperial Brown Ale, anyone? Actually, it's quite the Non-Stone beer. It's not a hop-infused monster by any stretch. Starts off with some sweet malt, middle shows some nutty flavor mix with baker's chocolate, and finishes with a kick of hops. Extremely well-balanced throughout (I told you it was very un-Stone-like!), with velvety-smooth mouthfeel that covers the ABV like a cloak. In typical Stone fashion, this was very drinkable. I'd love to get a few of these and see how they age.

OldFrothingSlosh, Nov 15, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to FtownThrowDown for this one.

Poured a hazy brown with a slight white head.

Smelled of raisin and fruit.

Had a sweetness to the taste. Some licorice, raisin, fruit, and a little bit of malt character. The hops were subdued but not gone. Left a lingering Dubbel type of taste in your mouth, a note of alcohol in it.

The beer was smooth and not overly carbonated or bitter. Went down easy and was easily drank. Time did this one well.

I enjoyed this one and it was awesome to have this 6 year old brew.

cjacobsen, Dec 18, 2010

August 2004
7.8% Alc. Vol.
1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz.

Appearance – ruby/brown slightly opaque body with 2-finger thick off-white micronized head; head has good retention; lace is sparse; the head and the color save it from average status

Smell – dark fruit, caramel, milk chocolate; solid nose for a brown

Taste – pleasant caramel malt early and some milk chocolate midway with a countering elevating hop punch and a very light cut of alcohol to close; the elevating hops on the back half blends with the milk chocolate flavor to more of a bitter dark chocolate

Mouthfeel – excellent lightly creamy feel that plummets really late; crispy yet slightly oily ‘afterfeel’ that helps the feel turn away from dry; minus the late nearly watery feel, this would be perfect

Drinkability – the late bitterness sets the drinkability back a bit but it does lay down the law between sips where some browns get too sweet at the end and the flavor fades with aftertaste; Stone’s 8th presents a drinkability experience comparable to DFH’s Indian Brown, Rogue Hazlenut Brown and Bear Republic’s Tribute Ale (albeit an English Brown)

Here’s a beer that I can come back to and recommend with confidence. As Starsky says, “Do it.”

Wonka, Jul 22, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer is an auburn brown. The head is light brown, almost tan like. It disapears somewhat quickly. It smells of chocolate. Some burnt malt also. There is a hint of citrus also. It tastes mildly chocolately. The hops are very apparent. It wouldnt be Stonse otherwise. I also detect some caramel. It goes down smooth. It leaves a burnt malt taste in my mouth. I could drink this beer all night. The alcohol content is a little high, but not so high that I wouldnt be able to keep up. All in all, it is a very good beer. Too bad soon it will be very hard to find.

OStrungT, Jan 24, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer looked and smelled great which is hard to believe for a brown. Big malty nose with subdued but clear hops right there with the malts. I took a big sip cold and it was so tasty. Everything about it is big and bold- the malt, hops, body, and the long beautiful bitter aftertaste. As it warmed, there are caramel, chocolate and some sweet citrus flavors that make for a truly excellent beer. I’m sure I tried this fresh but if I did it didn’t taste like this or I would have bought many more.

lou91, Oct 13, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle courtesy of Sephiroth. Poured into a Cooperstown 10th Anniversary pint glass.

This is a very good brown ale. It is superbly drinkable. It pours a orange-hinted brown with a minimal head, although the second pour provides more of a head. There is nice lacing that sticks to the glass. The taste is dominated by caramel/toffee maltiness. There is a hop bite that compliments the maltiness, but this is definitely a malt-monster, unlike other Stone beers. There is nothing harsh about this beer, and I dig the clean finish.

bignick, May 20, 2006

On draft at the Stone Storm

Appearance is a murky amber red hue, off-white thin head dissipates, minimal lacing

Smell is clean crisp roast malts, nutty presence, touches of coffee and grassy hops, slight alcohol

Taste is considerable alcohol and roast malts, bitter hops are apparent as is a nice nut flavor, finishes mild and slightly bitter

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, watery and slick texture, mild carbonation

Drinkability is very good, this is a smooth and flavorful brown ale (I believe Stone's only brown to date!), good malts and trademark Stone hops provide a perfect balance, I wish Stone revisits this style again sometime soon!

Stoneman78, Jan 29, 2008
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.