1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 258 | Reviews: 230 | Show All Ratings:
neenerzig

4.28/5  rDev +7%

First of all many thanks to Tim (Mookow) for letting me know where I could find some of this stuff. Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. This beer is a medium to dark, murky brown color. Mine had a tan head about half a finger thick that settles to a thin layer floating on the top of the glass with a ring lining the inside of the glass. It has some pretty decent lacing. Aromas of malts, dark fruits such as apples or plums, caramel and just a slight hint of sweet BBQ sauce are all present here. It sort of tastes like I am eating a steak with some A1 and/or sweet barbecue sauce, but certainly strong has flavors of malt, sweet caramel, and a hint of dark fruit along with a hint of hop bitterness. An interesting and well balanced taste. Leaves a slightly dry aftertaste and has a hint of salt, like the aftertaste of a steak does. I certainly have never had a beer that tasted quite like this before. I wonder how this beer would have tasted 2 years ago when it was fresh. Has a crisp mouthfeel with mild carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. A good beer, but a bit of an odd one. I wonder how this would have tasted if it had been properly cellared as opposed to (I assume) sitting in a cooler for 2 years. However it was an appropriate choice of purchase since I picked it up on my 24th Birthday and it is the 8th, and 24 is a multiple of 8.

I also drank this again on 4/13/08. Split a bomber I have had sitting in my cellar since December 2006. Split a bottle with my friend Jon Passow. Poured into my pint glass. This beer is a clear medium to dark brown color. Head was about 1/3 inch when poured. Eventually settles to a thin ring lining the inside of my glass. Decent lace. Aromas of some roasted malt and caramel are present along with a bit of nuts. The taste of alcohol is certainly noticeable but not overpowering. The taste is rounded out with a bit of hop bitterness. Has a very crisp and frothy full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I must say this has held up very well. I know generally brown ales are not intended to be aged for 3 1/2 years before being drank but this was fantastic! I would love to drink this again and hope to be able to one day. More proof that Stone kicks ass!

12-08-2006 03:53:07 | More by neenerzig
BlindPig

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

A- Thin tan head on a cloudy dark brown body.
S- Toffee malts. Maybe a bit stale smell. Some chocolate also.
T- Some strong toffee and chocolate malts. Some stale taste going on. I think it is past its prime by a year or two. Pretty sweet also. Some alcohol does make it through but nothing big. Bit of a dry hop notice also. It helps balance it a little but doesn't really do anything big for it. I'm not sure if the hops are supposed to be that low of if they have lost their bang over the years (hoping they lost their bang).
M- Thinner body. Maybe it's a very thin medium. Low carbonation but enough to leave a little tingle on the tongue.
D- I think it is past its prime and is nothing amazing, or even to good. It is kind of hard to drink.

11-13-2006 05:44:10 | More by BlindPig
dherling

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out a murky brown beer, with slightly reddish hue around the edge. Compact bubbly off white head dissapears pretty quick. Smells sweet, bbq, caramel, coriander, wood, butterscotch, prailines. Taste is sour cherry, rotting apple, alcohol, pine, smoke, caramel, bunrt sugar. I also not recognise a very strange milk chocolate/yoo hoo flavor in both the nose and the taste. There's a lot going on in the nose and in the body, very complex, don't know if that translates into good. Finish is fairly clean, with a syrupy finish.

11-11-2006 06:04:15 | More by dherling
jasonjlewis

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer tastes fine even though it is 2 years old. It has a nice head and decent retention and a nice rich full brown color.

Smell is of alcohol and caramel malts.

Taste is nice and balanced, not too thick, balance of alcohol and caramel malts. Sweet, some hop balance, but this is a sweet sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: crisp, but not thick.

Drinkability: an easy to drink beer. I'm glad I tried this brew.

11-07-2006 02:56:32 | More by jasonjlewis
scruffwhor

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

I love you Kahn's Fine Wines in Indianapolis. They helped pop my Stone cherry.

Appearance- I immediately noticed a ruddy brown with deep amber highlights. Very, very murky. Good head with a bit of sticky lacing on my glass.

Smell- A instantly think of hop spiced brownies. Mild to deep malts give a hint of chocolate roastiness. Not as much hops as I expected in the nose though. Must have degraded with the aging.

Taste- Starts with a strong mix of roasted malts and slightly degraded hop flavors. Brownies and the resin straight from the citrusy flower. Then a more coffee like note mixed with some herbal notes. The finish is like runby malts with amber tasting hops. Not easy to describe.

Mouthfeel- A little biting considering the aged hopping. Lots of dark flavors to help balance the hops. Bitter finish, but that's ok.

10-20-2006 05:47:36 | More by scruffwhor
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Oct. 15th 2006.

I'm rating this beer based on how well it's held up.

Just slightly hazy liquid with a light white half inch head... Granted it was an agressive pour but I'm surprised this one still has any carbonation left! Very little lacing as expected.

Big roasted toffee nose. Sweet candy scents with a little bit of alcohol and tree bark?

Sweet coffee flavors. Almost like coffee with just a dash of hazelnut added. Very dry finish after swallowing. It's definitely a bit nutty.

It's a bit thin as I would imagine has happened over time. Still pretty good feel to it though.

Overall very drinkable and another great beer from Lee Chase. Many thanks go out to Boolshot for sending this one my way!

10-16-2006 03:47:19 | More by timtheenchanta
MSchae1017

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer was mooched off of the 22oz bomber that timtheenchanta had :).

This beer pours a muddy reddish brown with a thin tan head that dissipates to some thin whisps with little lacing. The smell is sweet with a combination of chocolate and roasted malts along with some pale malts. The taste is porter like at first but also has some characteristics similar to an english mild. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice carbonation complimenting it. Overall a drinkable beer, very interesting, undefinable by style guidlines. Another impressive brew by Stone.

10-16-2006 03:28:57 | More by MSchae1017
ghostwalker

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark, dark, almost muddy, reddish-brown body. Thin white head falls off very quick.

Nose is roasty caramel malt with a hop twang on the finish.

Flavor is rich caramel malt. Smooth and sweet. Not a lot of hops on the finish, kind of surprising for Stone. Almost a chocolate sweetness to this. Very different for a mild, not what I expected at all.

Mouthfeel is round and smooth. Stout-like body and creaminess.

Drinkability seems pretty good. Hard to say, since I only have 1 bottle, and will probably never have another.

Good stuff from Stone.

10-04-2006 22:26:33 | More by ghostwalker
delicious

Vermont

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

There's a small caramel head on top of a cloudy dark cherry body.
The nose is warm and fruity, with cherries amongst a small amount of raspberries.
Right at first sip, along with some fruit, I get chocolate and coffee that I didn't detect in the nose at all. As the beer warms, the chocolate flavor becomes more prominent and some more malt character enters the nose.
It's full in the mouth, warm, and drinkable to boot. I really enjoyed drinking this beer, and I wish I had bought more when it was still Stone's 8th anniversary.

09-26-2006 17:59:34 | More by delicious
flexabull

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decided to crack open one of my 8th Ann. Ales. This one might have peaked...

Looks really good, deep amber color, with a slight white head.

Also smells quite nice, similar to a barleywine, with fruity baked bread aromas.

Flavor seems a bit off. Has a nice bitter and sweet malty front, but fades on the finish. Might be do to age? Don't know... Mouthfeel is also lacking a bit.

It is certainly still drinkable, but I had one about 6 months ago and it was better.

09-14-2006 02:57:08 | More by flexabull
goschool

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Consumed on the evening of 9/7/06. A two year old brown ale? Stone's tasting notes from March were more than promising.

The pour is a blend of dark brown and amber, but its fiery red hue comes out when I hold it up to the light. Oooh, welcome to 4.5 country. The second pour brought way more head.

The nose has a lot more milk chocolate than I remember this having two years ago. That's always a great characteristic. There are caramel malts, figs, nuts and I'm getting currant every four sniffs.

This is one chocolaty brown ale. Sweet malts bring chocolate, camel, dark fruit, and nuts. This was fairly hoppy when it was fresh, but today, the hops stay in the background in a much more supportive role.

I don't have another bottle, but if I did, I would wait to see how this beer continues to develop.

09-08-2006 06:37:30 | More by goschool
TheLongBeachBum

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

8th Anniversary Ale, August 2004 - Sampled at 2 Years Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the next few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: Massive tan head, thick, auspicious looks, conspicuous lacing and the highly detailed collapsed, creamy and rocky contours, are just as intriguing as the Moons surface. Body is hazed with a dark treacle like stance; this renders all the qualities of the Bastard child of a drunken one night stand between a Newcastle Brown Ale and a Bloody Mary….. solid stuff, looks much better than the last bottle I had 6 months ago. Lasting Kopf runs rings down the glass, conditioning is super fine.

Nose: Past experience has been of a reticent nose, not so after 2 years!!! It positively leaps out of the glass; crushed figs, soft prunes, milk chocolate and a lovely silky hop character that wraps itself around the darker fruits. The aromas are stronger and the score picks up a few clicks here, just enough to pull a 4.0 with ease, but miss out on a 4.5 by the thickness of a mosquito’s pubic hair.

Taste: Hmmmm, Willy Wonka would be proud. The chocolately nature is progressing nicely and has rounded out with some age. It melds with prunes, figs and a smidgen of Lyle’s Black Treacle to offer a smooth silky effort. Hints of molasses and soaked wood punctuate the lingering tail long after the Cadburys milk chocolate after-taste fades. Dark Jamaican Rum and Cappuccino even comes to mind after a half Bomber. Strikingly good and I am surprised how much this has “picked up” in just 6 months since I last tried it. The complexity is developing; the previously easy to recognize bitterness is now hard to separate from the chocolate tones, it bonds to form an aphrodisiac chocolate coated hoppyness which hypnotizes with a sexual nature.

Mouthfeel: One thing that the Stone Anniversary brews exhibit, is a strong long term conditioning. Not one of the previous Stones, even the 6th Smoked Porter, has suffered. The 8th is no different. Finely dissolved conditioning, silky, talcum powder soft with a slickness that would rival Du Pont’s Teflon®. Oh so easy, all too effortless. The 8% is long gone, but I am sure it is still hiding, successfully camouflaged in and amongst the chocolate hops. Very good.

Drinkability: The dark fruits, addictive chocolate, smooth belly and attractive back end all make for a brew that disappears waaaay too quickly. Intensely flavorful, with an excellent poise from the carbonation, and a rich rewarding dark complexity in the finish - this is perfect right now, so hard to put down, yet so easy to “put down”. Precarious!

Overall: Just like the start of the English Premiership League, this is a very welcome “August return” which, with 8 bottles left, will no doubt be a Perennial favorite for some time to come I feel - I hope!! Whereas the “airy-fairy” fanciful unbalanced 9th bombed in my eyes and was a Bridge Too Far; I can’t help but think that this (the 8th) was a **very** successful detour for Stone. The 8th “works” extremely well for me. This is definitely Stones best “style detour” in the Anniversary line-up for my money. I am digging the journey of the 8th and I am also thinking that this could get better yet.

08-25-2006 05:02:20 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Lnedrive14

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Didnt quite know what to expect - a brown ale sitting for this long. alcohol content was high so i figured it would be fine but i didnt know if it would go anywhere positive. still not sure if it got better, but it was pretty damn good.

Super thick and creamy mouthfeel, almost like a Rochefort or something like that. Flavor is fairly subtle, nothing too special, but very likeable.

I guess that sums it up - feels great in your mouth, but isnt truly unique in any way.

07-31-2006 04:10:00 | More by Lnedrive14
klewis

4.28/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a murky brown with reddish hues. A small, thick head subsides to a frothy ring.

S: Nutty malt aroma. Subtle, but very nice.

T: Malty up front, with not a whole lot going on. Just when I was about to get disapointed a flavor of roasted nuts and cappachino filled the mouth. Let's hear it for delayed gratification.

M: Thick and heavy with moderate carbonation. Very nice.

D: It's too bad that this is limited production, because I love it. Smooth and full-flavored, this is quite drinkable, and I have yet to have anything quite like it.

P.S. Floccinauccinihilipilification. Hell yeah!

07-28-2006 00:02:51 | More by klewis
audiojon

4/5  rDev 0%

This was a delicious beer, altho a bit tame for an anniversary edition. A very proper example of a brown ale, and kicked up a notch as only Stone can do. I definitely taste some chocolate; a very good malt base was used for this brew. There is a nice hop finish to each sip as well, which I would expect from Stone.

Overall, an enjoyable beer, and a very good strong brown ale! Was happy to find this in the cooler at Whole Foods- the only one on the shelf actually! I imagine it must have been sitting in the back for a long time...

07-27-2006 03:51:31 | More by audiojon
scooter231

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown hue with no head, no lacing. Smells quite alcoholic with a lot of red wine going on, and some slight coffee scents. Some fruity raisiny things come through. Tastes quite like a porter or a stout- there's so much chocolate up front, then a wave of coffee, and some bittersweet espresso. Mouthfeel is okay but a bit on the thin side for me. Overall fairly drinkable, but a bit too sweet after a while. Still, it's a tasty brew, and the alcohol is fairly well balanced.

07-18-2006 03:21:00 | More by scooter231
bignick

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle courtesy of Sephiroth. Poured into a Cooperstown 10th Anniversary pint glass.

This is a very good brown ale. It is superbly drinkable. It pours a orange-hinted brown with a minimal head, although the second pour provides more of a head. There is nice lacing that sticks to the glass. The taste is dominated by caramel/toffee maltiness. There is a hop bite that compliments the maltiness, but this is definitely a malt-monster, unlike other Stone beers. There is nothing harsh about this beer, and I dig the clean finish.

05-20-2006 01:42:18 | More by bignick
Ego

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

found for $4.79 a few weeks ago (2 bottles.. so what the hell..I might as well try one and see if I think the other is worth saving/savoring)

eyes...
lively! brown.. like dark caramel, 2 full fingers of head crackle and it stays amply fed with very active carbonation racing up inside the glass. damn, this is REALLY active in the glass wehn you hold it up to the light. lacing is superb and sticky like the floor of a movie theater. damn this is inviting... great looking! later on down the glass this leaves gobs of lace.. almost like tree rings.. I can tell the age of the beer or something now...

nose...
fresh chocolate malts, deep scarred and almost scalded caramel, coffee aromas as well.. the nose is deep and strong showing just a hint of the alcohol, this has that smell of when you just open a chocolate bar except with a dash of barley... nice.

taste etc...
oddly enough this tastes like a more tame (alcohol wise) version Old Stock Ale (03 vintage tasted recently).. the old stock is of course boozier and has more barley kick.. but damn this reminds me of it... realyl nice mouthfeel, it is creamy and smooth.. and yet for a brown it has a subtle hop bite before the chocolate notes round out the experience. The alcohol does make it slightly hot in the mouth but not to a detriment for me personally. the flavor is dominated by the malts, chocolate mostly, but not overly so which would generally offend my pallete (personal preference). This is nice and full in the mouth but drinks just light enough.. kudos!

verdict?
stone didn't let me down on this one.. thanks to my BA bud yelterdow for recommending that I grab this when I saw it.. especially for the price.. damn! what can I say.. if you see it, grab it.. I think I know a few stores that may have it buried on the shelves.. time for some beer hunting, this one is worth seeking.

05-12-2006 03:03:48 | More by Ego
Shovelbum

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Pours a frothy tan head over a hazy mahogany body. Head recedes with little to no lace. Rich malty sweetness dominates the aroma. More of the same in the flavor with waves of caramel and rich malt up front with light notes of chocolate. A earthy and even mildly spicy hop character joins in making this a well rounded brew, albeit on the sweet side. Medium to full body. Moderate carbonation. Smooth upfront with a very mild lingering hop spiciness contributing some dryness.

A rather robust ‘brown ale’ bordering on old ale status. Excellent malt complexity and a balanced sweetness, at least in my opinion. The noticeable hop character provides nice counter notes while giving the malt center stage. A tasty malty delight, that is drinking well at almost two years old.

05-03-2006 23:44:25 | More by Shovelbum
Bleedingshrimp

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip. Poured the color of Hershey's Milk chocolate with nice garnet highlights. The nose was kind of subtle and vinous. Taste was big oak and vanilla and bready malts. Sweet but short of cloying. Hops are still lingering in this bad boy after 2 years...nice and complex with some good warming feeling from the alcohol. Tastes like an Imperial Brown Ale to me. Good solid offering from stone and a nice sipper but not something I could drink all night.

04-17-2006 03:43:17 | More by Bleedingshrimp
WaffleSauce

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to Px2GrafX for this little guy.

Good ol’ 22oz stone bomber. The back of this one is probably my favorite anniversary rant. . .it’s got my favorite word on it: Floccinauccinihilipilification. Gotta love it.

Pouring in to my trust Stone pint glass. Pours ridiculously dark. A very, very, very dark amber. . closer to mahogany. Almost no head. Hard to see through the murkiness, but there is some bubble action going on. Head is already gone.

Nose is very close to my lovely arrogant, bastardly little friend. Definite grape fruit action, some prunes. . .and hint of cherry? Very musty, perhaps a coffee overtone.

Tastes like a black and tan made with arrogant bastard and stone smoked porter (as if you could call that a black and tan). Very roasty flavor, very noticeable coffee flavor as well. Tastes a bit flat (not bad flat, but stout flat), with a carbonation/alcohol zing at the back. Starts off pruney like the bastard, but it’s predominately stout flavored from there on out. Pretty damn tasty, just not eye-opening like most of Stone’s offerings.

04-17-2006 03:12:28 | More by WaffleSauce
orfeu

New Mexico

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Somewhat hazy ruddy brown with a few floating particulates (noticed a heck of a lot of sediment in the bottom of this 20 month old bottle) and a clingy clumpy tan foam cap. Sweet caramel and candied fruit aromas mixed with a hint of hazelnut liquer immediately make me think this is some kind of old ale. If this were intended as an old ale (I know it's not), the taste would reveal it as a mere pretender. No matter, because what is offered, even at such a late date, is wonderful: soft, smooth nutty caramel malts with a sweet cherry undercurrent. Earthy bitterness from some expertly blended hops emerges at the finish. Begins airy and fluffy but overall a satin smooth mouthfeel; medium body. I can certainly detect the "spirit" of a mild ale here, however this is most definitely more of an amped up brown. Never bothered to pick up any of Stone's Anniversary Ales before. Damn! Now I know!

04-08-2006 04:06:51 | More by orfeu
bultrey

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I don't want to overanalyze this beer. A kick-ass brown ale (with all due respect to Albany Pump Station's "Kick-ass brown"), this thing just drinks like a big old brown sugar bomb. It has such great molasses notes, and a little bit of nuttiness, it reminds me a bit of a New Orleans-style praline. However, just the right amount of aggressive hoppiness balances things out, and the finish, while smooth, rich, and full-flavored, does dry out enough to invite sip after luscious sip.

Man, I love this beer. It's a good thing that my local beer store still has several of these in stock... and drinking better than ever. Get your hands on some before it's all gone.

04-04-2006 01:21:31 | More by bultrey
RBorsato

3.6/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky brown color with a low ringed beige head and subtle carbonation. Malty milk chocolate aroma and flavor dominate; nice balance between malt and hops with a fairly noticeable alcohol effect on the finish. Medium-full bodied but kinda flat.

Way strong for a Mild Ale and not quite so special for an Anniversary Ale -- otherwise it's OK for what it is.

Per bottle: "Originally brewed as Lee's Mild in Mid '98"

Per SBC website: IBUs: 55. Starting Gravity 18.5 P. Oak used during brew process.

Bottle Release Date: 08/16/04

Released: "August 2004"
Tasted: 02/09/06

($6.49 / 22 oz. lithographed bottle)

03-16-2006 21:10:54 | More by RBorsato
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

After cellaring this beer for way too long, I finally found that perfect opportunity to enjoy. The first few sips led me to beleive that this is an American Strong Ale. I was surprised to find that it was intended to be a Brown Ale. If so, it's the biggest Brown Ale that I've ever had. Sure it has the chocolate, toffee, barley, toasty flavors. But it's also got a heafty helping of hops to balance, amber flavors for complexity, and loaded with brown sugar, molassas, cherries, berries, and nuts. The hops add more than just balance. A solid hop flavor adds spiciness and earthiness, while contributing to a lightly floral aroma. More amber in color than expected from a Brown. Full and rich body, yet remarkably smooth and drinkable. Finishes moderately sweet, and well balanced. I'm glad that I waited to savour this beer, but now I have a problem--finding more of them to drink!

03-08-2006 03:22:21 | More by BEERchitect
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.