Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004)
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours out a transparent ruby tinged shade of brown, typical to that of an American Brown Ale. The head is off white and rolls up respectably, but does indeed recede to very thin layer rather quickly. It doesn’t look like there is a lot of carbonation action going on within the body. I don’t ever think I’ve had a brown ale that smelled this good before. Thick toasty caramel scent, with a light tint of coffee and a sprinkling of spicy hop. I keep finding my nose over the glass taking a whiff of this, because I enjoy it so much. I didn’t know what to expect when first tasting it, but it makes perfect sense. This is exactly what I would expect a Brown Ale brewed by Stone to taste like. All the flavors you would expect from the style, just all a lot more keyed up and assertive. One of the things about Brown Ales that throws me a little bit, I just think they’re a little too subtle for me most of the time. That is not the case here. I perceive the flavors of milk chocolate coated caramel (ever have that resin candy?). I pick up some vague fruity esters in the middle, hints of vanilla and oak as well. The hops vibrate flatly and densely, and register with a spicy pang in the finish. Surprisingly, a puff of alcohol fumes actually does peep up as I swallow. A good bit fuller in the mouth than your typical brown too A great, great beer from a very unhyped style, and Stone pulls it off once again. (what can’t they do?)

Note: I almost gave myself arthritis removing the rubber seal from the bottom of the cap to learn that “Stone entered Ohio in August of 2001”. Congratulations Ohio circa 2001!!!

FormatKid, Oct 03, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: opaque dark amber body. Nice big, tan head. Pretty good retention. Good lacing.

Smell: Quite sweet, light earthy/herbal aroma. Not very deep, though.

Taste: Big hop kick, very yeasty taste. This same taste is present in Double Bastard as well. As with the smell, this is very sweet, almost tastes like dessert. Feels a little thin in taste.

A good beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again. Does make a good pair with some afternoon baseball, though.

JackStraw22, May 22, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

August 2004
7.8% Alc. Vol.
1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz.

Appearance – ruby/brown slightly opaque body with 2-finger thick off-white micronized head; head has good retention; lace is sparse; the head and the color save it from average status

Smell – dark fruit, caramel, milk chocolate; solid nose for a brown

Taste – pleasant caramel malt early and some milk chocolate midway with a countering elevating hop punch and a very light cut of alcohol to close; the elevating hops on the back half blends with the milk chocolate flavor to more of a bitter dark chocolate

Mouthfeel – excellent lightly creamy feel that plummets really late; crispy yet slightly oily ‘afterfeel’ that helps the feel turn away from dry; minus the late nearly watery feel, this would be perfect

Drinkability – the late bitterness sets the drinkability back a bit but it does lay down the law between sips where some browns get too sweet at the end and the flavor fades with aftertaste; Stone’s 8th presents a drinkability experience comparable to DFH’s Indian Brown, Rogue Hazlenut Brown and Bear Republic’s Tribute Ale (albeit an English Brown)

Here’s a beer that I can come back to and recommend with confidence. As Starsky says, “Do it.”

Wonka, Jul 22, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

Picked up by my beerbuddy FormatKid, along with a few other goodies.

Poured a deep copper brown color. Absolutely gorgeous. Tan head formed, but didn't stick around long at all. Dammit!

The aroma is raisiny caramel. Reminds me of a homebrewed barleywine of mine where I used just a bit much Special B. Hops are very assertive, with a raw grassy aroma. Alcohol makes it's presence known by driving the hops straight into your brain.

The taste is not good. The alcohol dominates the flavor. It is almost as if someone took a hoppy brown ale, poured it in a glass, and spiked it with a shot of vodka. I think the herbal flavor hops are driving me faster towards that decision. The malt is a touch dry, and this only exascerbates the problem. It is raisiny/pruney in nature, and just kinda turns the tongue off as soon as it hits. This is a huge disappointment for me, but hey, I can't like every beer, right?

Mouthfeel is just a touch too dry and astringent. Again, the malt and hops are accentuating this in the worst possible way.

As a result of the taste and mouthfeel, I have to give this one low marks for drinkability. It's going to be a real struggle to finish this one. It's a damn shame, because I really love the other Stone brews I've had, and was really looking forward to this beer, but it just simply does not agree with my tastebuds. :-/

jlervine, Dec 25, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

My bottle says "August '04", and was consumed 12/5/04.

Pours a dark, reddish brown color, with a medium-sized, tan head. There are lots and lots of bubbles forming at the bottom of my glass and shooting upwards - very pretty. A small amount of lace remains on the glass as the beer is consumed.

The scent is quite strong - dark chocolate, alcohol and toffee, with a faint hint of hops at the end of the scent. I can't wait to taste this...

And the taste doesn't disappoint. A rather dry chocolate taste leads to
a caramel-like finish. There's a decent amount of bitterness, presumably much of it hop-related, but there isn't an overwhelming hop presence as I'd expect from a Stone beer. The beer is rather dry, and as it warms, the sweet caramel flavors get stronger, mixing quite nicely with the bitter chocolate notes. I wish I had a bowl of chili to go with this - a quite yummy beer!

jahred, Dec 20, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Kind of strong iced tea sort of brown, shows a distinct reddish tinge. Head starts out strong, a raw sugar-colored froth that disappears fairly quickly. This is a Stone beer, there is no doubt about it, the hops dominate both the scent and taste, leaving just enough room for the malt to come into it's own, giving the 8th something that almost resembles balance. Great offering from Stone, but not something that I would want to drink regularly. Since this is a one-time release, maybe the folks at Stone were expecting this kind of response. If I want a Southern California brown, there's always Levitation Ale.

germaniac, Dec 17, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -5%

22 oz. bottle thanks to mrpicklerelish.

Appearance: A beautiful, crystal clear mahogany. The deep red color of this beer was downright gorgeous. Small tan head always remained in some capacity and left a bit of lacing behind as I drank.

Aroma: Big wafts of spice and coffee. Deeper whiffs revealed toasted malts, chocolate and brown sugar especially as it warmed.

Taste: Up front, a smooth mix of spicy hops mixed with toasted malts, coffee and chocolate, something nutty and then a solid shot of bitterness that remained on my tongue for a while. Sometimes the bitterness outweighed the initial smoothness of flavors. It was very sharp and distracting at times and took away from my enjoyment. All in all, I would've expected a more complex flavor from Stone.

Mouth: Medium to full body with a tight carbonation that creates a nice, smooth mouthfeel:

Drink: Good. Plenty tasty. Not as great as other brown ales I've had but ok stuff.

oxmasterscream, Oct 14, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

This was a beautiful dark mahogony red beer with a nice tan head. It has a very nice sweet malty smell. The taste is very well balanced, there is just enough bitterness to counteract the malty sweetness, plus a little extra. It has lots of body that gives it a great mouthfeel. It is very easy and enjoyable to drink.

bigbubba, Sep 20, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -5%

Found a bottles of this at a local store. Was pretty sure this place would not have cellared them properly, so I was definitely taking my chances (esp. considering they were charing $10.99 a bomber), but I thought, what the heck:

Appearance: Very cool-looking body. A deep, deep, deep, deep, deep (did I say deep?) brown. From a distance it almost looks like a porter in terms of coloration. Pours with a half-finger head, settles into a thin layer. Lacing is markedly present and decently impressive, dissipating only after a while. The appearance turned out to be this brew's highlight, actually.

Smell: A very nutty, burnt/smoked roast malt aroma is the most prominent aspect of the nose. Unveils a big presence of toffee, a hint of chocolate and molasses, a little chocolate and coffee. Pine/floral quality from the hops are on the back end, with a note of alcohol. Pretty impressive for a brown, certainly. Does not smell, in any event, like the store I got the bottle from spoiled the beer. Yay!

Taste: Roasted malts. Almost a grilled vegetable-like flavor. Bitter espresso, caramel, prune, nuts. The flavor is a little more subdued than the nose, quite frankly. Might be a result of how the beer was kept, but considering I detected nothing spoilage-like in the nose, I don't think that's the case. Pine.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nicely carbonated.

Drinkability: For being as old as it is, this beer holds up surprisingly well. Still, it's not a particularly exciting one. Considering its style, it has a great complexity of flavors, but it still has the brown session-like quality that makes it seem a little underwhelming for a Stone Anniversary offering. Still, in light of its varied flavor profile, it deserves a try.

RidiculedDisplay, Dec 17, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

A-Ruby with yellow/orange on the fringes of the glass. Head that rises a finger and a half before dropping to barely anything.

S- Very malty, nutty, rich and can be smelt from a good 4 feet away. goood.

T- Nutty, a tad of roast, some caramel, toast, and a tinge of hop bitterness at the very very end.

M- smooth with a bit of carbonation...was almost along the lines of a cask ale...just barely got the fizz left in it but it holds well.

D- This is a very very drinkable 7.8%er. Has a lasting finish and is smooth as silk. time has done this one well. I'll be picking a few more bottles of this up next year.

slayer3604, Nov 16, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Walnut brown, thin quickly receding head and spotty lacing. The aroma is killer: sweet caramel malts, burnt roasted coffee, with just a smidgeon of citric hops thrown in. This beer smells like a big robust porter. Flavor is much like the nose, but not as intense. Bittersweet roasted malts, a nutty earthiness, and the same smidgeon of citric hops as in the aroma. It finishes with a bitter roasted aftertaste along with an alcohol warmth. I should also note that the beer was bottled in 8/04, so the flavor may have mellowed a bit compared to the aroma. Solid all 'round.

gimmehead, May 15, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

The pint glass fills with deep russet liquid of notable clarity. A few sparse, languid streamers are not enough to sustain a finger of tan head... it dies into a greyish film that leaves wispy rings down the glass, but... ho hum. The basic smell here is cocoa--most of all like cocoa breakfast cereal--and it's great! There's also the husky aroma of freshly cracked walnuts and, increasingly, a finish of vanilla extract. Cake-frosting nosefeel is very supportive of these rich, fatty, bakery smells. Shaved dark chocolate tastes develop a bitter, creamy depth reminiscent of fresh Brazil nuts. Finish of nut shell (as opposed to nut meat) grows in woodsy strength, by turns suggesting hazelnut cordials--or the grounds at the bottom of a bourbon-spiked cup of coffee. Smooth, oily mouthfeel is balanced by a carbonated ping, with a good, lastingly bitter aftertaste; but I think that the flavors would match better with a creamier body. I wonder how long I could session on this beer. If only it had been more of a looker, I'd call it one of the better brown ales I've had.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Oct 28, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Sampled from a 22 oz bottle, this one poured a deep brown tinted crimson with a miniature tan bubbly head. Toasted caramel, subdued hops, & smoke in the nose. Powerful & well-balanced brew which features an underlying wood smokiness with more direct flavors of hazelnut toffee, caramel, and sweet roast. Some noticeable bitterness, but a very delicate hop flavor. Notes of vanilla & sweet fig. Medium bodied and finishes with more sweet fruit along with a hint of warming alcohol. Tasty creation - especially as it approaches room temperature. Curious to see what time does to this one.

garthwaite, Sep 24, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +2%

I picked this bottle up yesterday (yes in 2006) at a store and couldn’t believe they still had it. Anyways on to the review. It pours a very dark and murky amber color not a whole lot of head even when poured aggressively it does leave a nice lacing though. It smells of malt, figs, and a bit of fruit, overall it’s a very faint smell. The taste is very nice, a chocolaty malt and nut flavor with a hint of the hop flavor that Stone are known for. I like it. The feel is somewhat odd as it doesn’t seem to have too much carbonation left (this could be do to being in the fridge for so long) but it is still very drinkable, a very nice treat from Stone although clearly not their best.

ChillMike, Mar 03, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +5%

August 2004. Tasted December 2005. I had this when it was fresher and enjoyed it very much, this sampling is after a bit of aging, but it still delicious. Pours a dark brown with some coppery tones when swirled in the light. The head is a slightly brownish off-white, which rings the glass nicely with lace. Smells sweet, rich and caramelly with a mild spiciness and a bit of alcohol. Very inviting overall in both appearance and aroma. Very smooth with a medium body. Tastes sweet with a bit of chocolate blending with the caramel found in the aroma. Some dryness in the finish with a bit of a hop bite. A very drinkable beer, which hides its alcohol quite nicely. A very different offering from Stone, which I wish was regularly available.

tar, Jan 08, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -3%

Pours out a light brown almost ruby color with a nicely carbonated head. Smell is intensely sweet, caramel, chocolate, nuts. Its a liquid candy bar. Taste is malty sweet, brown sugar is definitely present. There is a definite earthiness too this beer that prevents it from being overly sweet. The hops are subtle but balancing. Mouthfeel is nice, quite full for a brown ale, which i like, but it does prevent this from being highly drinkable. 8% ABV? Where? Quality brew. Thanks to prostman for the trade.

bnuttz, Mar 07, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma, delicious smelling. Wow. Smells of chestnuts and dark brown sugar. A bit earthy and woodsy, but, in a shy sort of way. No alcohol presence or yeast aromas, just a great heady aroma that is making me salivate.

Taste. Smooth and mild. Great character and body. That brown sugar taste is coming through spendidly, but the beer itself is not really sweet. It’s a nice balance between this brown sugar and a nice, sort of springtime bitterness.

Mouthfeel is superb, carbonation is just right, not even noticeable as you are just concentratingn on the wonderful flavour of this beer.

Drinkability is wow, I’m really glad I have a whole 22oz to myself!

I knew this beer wasn't going to suck, but, well, I am really surprised by how much i really love this one. It exemplifies everything I think a beer should be. Sturdy and delicious smelling and tasting. some nice simple tastes you can enjoy without thinking about, but a little extra layer of complexity in case you want to dig around. I'm glad to have run into this one when I did.

trancefishy, May 05, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -21.8%

Picked this one up the other day on sale for $6.44
A small tan head rest upon a large mahogany base. When held up to the light a reddish hue will come though.
Smell is sweet wood-ish...lets say nutty.
The taste is sweet, and again could be some nuts in there with a hint of an alcohol aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is on the thicker side, leaning towards a light syrup.
Drinkability is average or even below average. I could have one of these. The bomber was a little too much.

LucaBrasi, Nov 13, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Pour on tap this past weekend at Stuffed Sandwich for their Stone Days celebration. Sam said it was a wheat beer, looks like it's classified as a Brown Ale here.

Pours a murky brown. More like a barley wine than a traditional brown ale. Light head that dissipates quickly. Smells of chocolate malt, caramel and alcohol. Smells stronger than 7.8%. Taste like a cross between a barley wine and a wheat wine. Very malt forward without the normal hop stickiness in Stone beers. I'm curious how hoppy it was fresh. All and all a good beer that I could try again. My local liquor store has tons of these still at about $4/ea and stuffed is selling them for $20 in the bottle. Might try a bottle and see how it is versus the keg storage.

Callenak, Oct 02, 2006
4/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Stone Winter Storm.

A - Looks like a general Brown Ale, I had a small pour so can't say much about the head but it was present in appropriate form.

S - Man its germane at first, like any nut brown - but let it heat up and this thing SCREAMS brown sugar. Like nothing I've had before.

T - Killer nut brown taste with a slightly imperial thin and boozing tone coming thru. Very drinkable with the alcohol well hidden behind the nutty flavour. Actually a welcome suprise as it wasn't uber hopped like most stone anni's

M - Somewhat syrupy and thin given its an "imperial brown" but quite pleasant none the less.

D - This is a wonderful beer, very unlike the typical Stone hop fest beer. Shame I wasn't a craft beer guy back in the day - I'd have easily bought a case of this

Dijeriduster, Feb 12, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

pours a nice brown/red with a light tan head that isn't very big, but seems just right in my imperial pint glass. Head falls quickly, but leaves a nice ring and very small cap for most of the beer.

smell is nutty, with rich, slightly musty hops and ripe fruit. Nice, though not super aromatic.

Taste is good-- much more restrained than I was expecting. Light body, pleasantly toasty, sweet malt, though nothing standout there, and a healthy hop bitterness that plays off the toasted characteristics in the end. Very lightly carbonation adds to the English-style.

Personally I found this a very enjoyable beer. Easily drinkable despite the high abv, and in the English mold of subtle but tasty flavors--though you definitely get the stone hop kick that goes above and beyond the style. like they say, a mild on steroids. Nothing wrong with that. It may not be as out there as other stone products, but it's gentle and calming--overall a very good brew that I would sample again.

studentofbeer, Sep 25, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

fain12, Nov 28, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

After reading the cornocopia of verbal loquatiousness present in liliputian white lettering on the parabola that defines the container in which the mystical fluid was ensnared, I was ready to imbibe. I extracted the cap and the brownish liquid poured forth into a splended goblet that reads Duvel. Aromas of chocolate and carmel dance up past the rim of the glass creating a wonderful fruity fragrance. As the elixer slid across my tongue and proceded down my throat, I was reminded of roasty munich benevolence, combining malt with hops in synchronicity which has remarkable characterizations reminiscent of a scottish ale. Malt lovers delight, and only lacking in subtle smokiness.

vladtheimpaler, Sep 13, 2004
4/5  rDev 0%

This was a delicious beer, altho a bit tame for an anniversary edition. A very proper example of a brown ale, and kicked up a notch as only Stone can do. I definitely taste some chocolate; a very good malt base was used for this brew. There is a nice hop finish to each sip as well, which I would expect from Stone.

Overall, an enjoyable beer, and a very good strong brown ale! Was happy to find this in the cooler at Whole Foods- the only one on the shelf actually! I imagine it must have been sitting in the back for a long time...

audiojon, Jul 27, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

There's a small caramel head on top of a cloudy dark cherry body.
The nose is warm and fruity, with cherries amongst a small amount of raspberries.
Right at first sip, along with some fruit, I get chocolate and coffee that I didn't detect in the nose at all. As the beer warms, the chocolate flavor becomes more prominent and some more malt character enters the nose.
It's full in the mouth, warm, and drinkable to boot. I really enjoyed drinking this beer, and I wish I had bought more when it was still Stone's 8th anniversary.

delicious, Sep 26, 2006
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.