Follow our progress ...

Stone 8th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by xlperro on 08-10-2004

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 264
4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Had on tap after touring Stone's new brewery in Escondido. Great tour by the way. Definitely make time for it. Nice folks, and a lot of information.

It's too bad that this was a Stone special release because I would like this all of the time. The smell was very roasty, more so than many coffee stouts. Hell more than most coffee!

The taste was complex; started out like a strong nut brown but without the nuts, if you can imagine, with more roastiness in the aftertaste. No alcohol was apparent in the flavor but at close to 8% I felt it pretty quick since I was on an empty stomach.

Excellent all around brew that I hope they will keep making. Maybe they can feature this one when they get the restaurant up and running (supposedly by June).

I would have picked up a growler, but predictably the place was hopping (pardon the pun), and the lines were long.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance:
-Head very quickly dissipates into a ring around the rim, bubbly lacing
-Deep brown/amber color

Smell:
-Strong caramel and coffee
-Little hop aroma

Taste:
-Burnt, roasted malts, but surprisingly smooth
-Bitterness seems to come from toasted malts not hops
-Slightly sweet
-Caramel flavor comes through just barely for me

Mouthfeel:
-Slightly astringent, peppery, sticks to your mouth

Overall:
Gives me sort of an old-ale impression. I like it, it's more exciting than your standard brown ale. I'd definitely drink it again.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to Px2GrafX for this little guy.

Good ol’ 22oz stone bomber. The back of this one is probably my favorite anniversary rant. . .it’s got my favorite word on it: Floccinauccinihilipilification. Gotta love it.

Pouring in to my trust Stone pint glass. Pours ridiculously dark. A very, very, very dark amber. . closer to mahogany. Almost no head. Hard to see through the murkiness, but there is some bubble action going on. Head is already gone.

Nose is very close to my lovely arrogant, bastardly little friend. Definite grape fruit action, some prunes. . .and hint of cherry? Very musty, perhaps a coffee overtone.

Tastes like a black and tan made with arrogant bastard and stone smoked porter (as if you could call that a black and tan). Very roasty flavor, very noticeable coffee flavor as well. Tastes a bit flat (not bad flat, but stout flat), with a carbonation/alcohol zing at the back. Starts off pruney like the bastard, but it’s predominately stout flavored from there on out. Pretty damn tasty, just not eye-opening like most of Stone’s offerings.

Appearance: Lighter brown, somewhat close to the color of bourbon.

Smell: As my first brown ale, this was an experience. Somewhat sweet, but the color kept making me think of a dark wheat bread.

Taste: As I smelled, somewhat sweet, perhaps a smokey sugar, yet bitter. Again, as I drank this mildly bitter beer, I could not keep images of wheat bread from entering my head.

Mouthfeel: Good. Not too thick, yet not thin in the least.

Drinkability: Pretty darn good. I could drink this beer for a while.

Overall: Good. As I put 4's across the board, Good perfectly describes this beer. I hate to be so bland, but good is an excellent modifier.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this over new years. The head was pretty thick and so was the overall mouthfeel. Strong coffee and cocoa tones but not to the extent that it is too over-bearing. The alcohol content is enough to warm you from the inside out. I had this in a 22oz bottle. I would drink this one again.

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%

i just grabbed this one today.poured out with a very nice head.i think for a beer like this you should have a little,but not much head..it smells great honestly,and tastes great too.a little less hoppy than most stone brews and its nice to see a bit of a change from them.overall a very nice brew.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.