Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004)
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours out a transparent ruby tinged shade of brown, typical to that of an American Brown Ale. The head is off white and rolls up respectably, but does indeed recede to very thin layer rather quickly. It doesn’t look like there is a lot of carbonation action going on within the body. I don’t ever think I’ve had a brown ale that smelled this good before. Thick toasty caramel scent, with a light tint of coffee and a sprinkling of spicy hop. I keep finding my nose over the glass taking a whiff of this, because I enjoy it so much. I didn’t know what to expect when first tasting it, but it makes perfect sense. This is exactly what I would expect a Brown Ale brewed by Stone to taste like. All the flavors you would expect from the style, just all a lot more keyed up and assertive. One of the things about Brown Ales that throws me a little bit, I just think they’re a little too subtle for me most of the time. That is not the case here. I perceive the flavors of milk chocolate coated caramel (ever have that resin candy?). I pick up some vague fruity esters in the middle, hints of vanilla and oak as well. The hops vibrate flatly and densely, and register with a spicy pang in the finish. Surprisingly, a puff of alcohol fumes actually does peep up as I swallow. A good bit fuller in the mouth than your typical brown too A great, great beer from a very unhyped style, and Stone pulls it off once again. (what can’t they do?)

Note: I almost gave myself arthritis removing the rubber seal from the bottom of the cap to learn that “Stone entered Ohio in August of 2001”. Congratulations Ohio circa 2001!!!

FormatKid, Oct 03, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

It pours a clear chestnut amber, ruby highlights on the fringes when held up to the light. Three full fingers of creamy cafe-au-lait head that slowly erodes to a pancake of head. Descending rings of creamy lacing circle the glass marking the passing of each sip.

The aroma is caramel and toasted malt sweetness, dried fruit currants, and berries. almost port-like. Minimal vinous hops a definite smell of alcohol.

The first sip tells you this is no ordinary brown ale. Toasted caramel malt sweetness and fruity notes, along with touches of port with a definite lingering presence of alcohol. As the alcohol and sweetness wains a definite dose of hops makes a welcome appearance. The finish is longish and dry and bitter. The flavor profile matches an old ale more than a brown.

Medium bodied, it lingers on the palate.

This is a bold and drinkable beer that seems to have mellowed since the early reviews. The hops while there were well muted and in keeping with what I expect from a brown ale. The sweetness is there and dominates the bitter, but it is not cloying in the least. Glad I picked up a second bottle. I may just have to grab more.

Citadel82, Jan 28, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma, delicious smelling. Wow. Smells of chestnuts and dark brown sugar. A bit earthy and woodsy, but, in a shy sort of way. No alcohol presence or yeast aromas, just a great heady aroma that is making me salivate.

Taste. Smooth and mild. Great character and body. That brown sugar taste is coming through spendidly, but the beer itself is not really sweet. It’s a nice balance between this brown sugar and a nice, sort of springtime bitterness.

Mouthfeel is superb, carbonation is just right, not even noticeable as you are just concentratingn on the wonderful flavour of this beer.

Drinkability is wow, I’m really glad I have a whole 22oz to myself!

I knew this beer wasn't going to suck, but, well, I am really surprised by how much i really love this one. It exemplifies everything I think a beer should be. Sturdy and delicious smelling and tasting. some nice simple tastes you can enjoy without thinking about, but a little extra layer of complexity in case you want to dig around. I'm glad to have run into this one when I did.

trancefishy, May 05, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I don't want to overanalyze this beer. A kick-ass brown ale (with all due respect to Albany Pump Station's "Kick-ass brown"), this thing just drinks like a big old brown sugar bomb. It has such great molasses notes, and a little bit of nuttiness, it reminds me a bit of a New Orleans-style praline. However, just the right amount of aggressive hoppiness balances things out, and the finish, while smooth, rich, and full-flavored, does dry out enough to invite sip after luscious sip.

Man, I love this beer. It's a good thing that my local beer store still has several of these in stock... and drinking better than ever. Get your hands on some before it's all gone.

bultrey, Apr 04, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - a very dark amber pour, but when held to light becomes iced tea color. A good-sized head of a finger or more recedes forthwith, leaving bits and pieces of lace on the glass.

Aroma - an initial nose of Belgian-style sweetness. As the head falls down into the glass, aromas of cherry and chocolate emerge. A waft of booze is picked up now and then. Smells like a dessert beer. Fortunately for me, I ate *all* my supper so I am entitled... :-)

Taste - very malty...and sweet...and bitter...now *that's* a workout for the tastebuds! The sweetness is a base sugary feeling, not consistently connected to any particular food. At times it lends itself to some chocolate notes that occasionally peek through the thick veil of alcohol. For a 7.8 abv brew it comes across like a 10+. The sweet/bitter are both intense, I like the balance. The swallow brings out a full force moment of booziness and then the aftertaste hits bitter at the back of my tongue and throat. About 20 to 30 seconds after, there is a mild coffee flavor sneaking in that doesn't show up anywhere else in the flavor profile. Yummy stuff.

Mouthfeel - very average in all aspects;doesn't get in the way, just lets the flavor do its thing.

Drinkability - a most tasty bomber that I would surely have again.

brewdlyhooked13, Mar 01, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

22 oz. bomber poured between my roommate and myself. Dark brown with slight hint of red and a resilient finger and a half of smooth brown head and thick lacing.

Little identifiable hops have survived the four-year storage, and the malts here are huge. Very aggressive and in-your-face dark maltiness; roasted nuts, somewhat caramel, and even a bit chocolatey.

A little more bitter and much better balanced in the taste than the aroma, with somewhat of a piney hoppiness, though the malts still dominate.

Somewhat thick and syrupy, but still very drinkable. This one definely held up through the years.

Phocion, Aug 06, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Consumed on the evening of 9/7/06. A two year old brown ale? Stone's tasting notes from March were more than promising.

The pour is a blend of dark brown and amber, but its fiery red hue comes out when I hold it up to the light. Oooh, welcome to 4.5 country. The second pour brought way more head.

The nose has a lot more milk chocolate than I remember this having two years ago. That's always a great characteristic. There are caramel malts, figs, nuts and I'm getting currant every four sniffs.

This is one chocolaty brown ale. Sweet malts bring chocolate, camel, dark fruit, and nuts. This was fairly hoppy when it was fresh, but today, the hops stay in the background in a much more supportive role.

I don't have another bottle, but if I did, I would wait to see how this beer continues to develop.

goschool, Sep 08, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

DArk brown, near black with tan edges and a huge beige head. Huge aromas of sweet malts, spices, subtle chocolate, nice roasted malt notes and more. The taste is a bit booz up front with a strange malty sweetness. Where are the hops, guys!? Anyway the flavor than takes an awesome turn for the better when some lovely spicy notes come into the picture. The finish is chocolate-like, sweet, roasty, and yet somehow a bit dry. The mouthfeel is medium bodied-full and the drinkability is outstanding. Great stuff!

francisweizen, Sep 16, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I pulled thisone from the cellar after it laid six months or so. I save the Anniversary Ales for around my wed anniversary. Ok, thats my gimmick.
It poured a nice dark ruby color with a good off-white head. Lace was a faded web like but stuck around. The aroma was sweet, caramel like malt. The taste had a sweet toffee, caramelized nut favor with notes of brown sugar. Now hold on, all that was balanced well with a calm hop bitterness, making this a well balanced mix and a smooth drink. The mouth was pleased for its a easy, non offending brew. A nice style, a nice change from the norm for this Stone. Very smooth, I wish I bought more.

chilidog, Mar 19, 2005

RyanGoodman, Feb 16, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

The beer after its disinterment from the 22-ounce brown bottle lies ever so inviting in the glass a translucent burnished copper with a persistent light tan and somewhat frothy head, after its demise the residual lace is an encircling sheet of fine lace. Nose is sweet with malt, hints of caramel and the mouth-watering aroma of the hop flower, start is delectable in its grain presence, lightly sweet with the top moderate in its feel. Finish is annoying in its acidity with the hops determined and the aftertaste desert dry, ah what a treat to the palate and the other senses.

Gusler, Aug 14, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

I really enjoyed pouring this beer. The color of the stream of beer flowing into my glass was fantastic. Dark amber with traces of gold. Picks up a lot more red and burgundy in my tulip. The small copper bubbled head was disappointingly momentary.

Smells delightfully of heavy malts with caramel, molasses and a hint of coffee. There’s also a citrus wafting around in the background adding a lot of life to this one. Smells a lot like a barley wine.

Tastes more like a brown ale. There’s a delicate charred wood and burnt oat malt flavor here paired with a pear sweetness. There’s also a light bitter sourness that I can feel more than I can taste that sends electric tingles along the edges of my tongue. This fades into a roasted coffee that drifts up into my nose in the finish. My only concern is that a little bit of oxidized metal slips into the finish as well. Over all, there are some very busy, meandering dynamics here.

The mouth feel is light, dense and clean with a very small carbonation that adds a unique element to the feel.

Tasty!

DarkerTheBetter, Mar 03, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Was able to pick this up at the Pizza Port Carlsbad Stone Event. Always sad to drink a beer you know you'll never see again.

Gorgeous brownish-copper color. Small white head. The smell is pure caramel and malt. Not a lot of carbonation, settles into the glass rapidly.

The taste is lovely. Chocolate, caramel, and malt with a tinge of grapefruit hop aftertaste. I don't know if it's the aging, or what, but this beer tastes significantly better than the reviews would lead me to believe. This is particularly astonishing as I don't typically like brown ales.

I could drink this all day. But, sadly, never will get to.

Overlord, Sep 29, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

I enjoyed this exceptional brew on draft at Anam Cara. It was served in a wineglass and seemed quite unlike a traditional American brown. The aroma of chocolate and wood hat subtle hints of burnt malt. The flavors were more complex blending fig, straw and other notes with a chocolate and woody base. It was an exquisitely well bodied sipping beer that managed to hide its alcohol well. It would be very interesting to see what a year or so of aging would do to the flavors.

AllThingsNinja, Oct 31, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Had on tap after touring Stone's new brewery in Escondido. Great tour by the way. Definitely make time for it. Nice folks, and a lot of information.

It's too bad that this was a Stone special release because I would like this all of the time. The smell was very roasty, more so than many coffee stouts. Hell more than most coffee!

The taste was complex; started out like a strong nut brown but without the nuts, if you can imagine, with more roastiness in the aftertaste. No alcohol was apparent in the flavor but at close to 8% I felt it pretty quick since I was on an empty stomach.

Excellent all around brew that I hope they will keep making. Maybe they can feature this one when they get the restaurant up and running (supposedly by June).

I would have picked up a growler, but predictably the place was hopping (pardon the pun), and the lines were long.

spazaru, Feb 18, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a clear, dark brown -- red when held to the light. Head is very thin and spotty, reinforced by scant, slow-rising carbonation.

The first sniff reveals a deep, malty aroma. Husky and roasty, with light chocolate overtones. This actually reminds me a bit of almonds roasted in vegetable oil.

The roastiness comes through quite strongly in the flavor. Here the malt takes on what again strikes me as a kind of oily, nutty flavor. Almost cola-like. A bit of oaky bourbon flavors kick in toward the end. The roastiness declines a bit in the aftertaste, replaced by some surprisingly restrained hops, and a hint of vanilla. The aftertaste lingers for a good, long time.

Funny, this is probably one of the most malt-dominated beers I've had in a while, and yet "sweet" is about the last word I would use to describe it. Fairly full in the mouth, and very complex in flavor. Tough to drink a lot of in one sitting, but this is a beer that I'm definitely looking forward to going back to.

mzwolinski, Aug 31, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Auburn tone. Streaks of scarlet. Decent clarity. Thin brown head recedes to a thick collar. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Chocolate, burnt toast, roasted malt, dusty grain and cocoa.

Taste: The flavor has a dry grainy aspect. Dry cocoa powder. Chalky hops. Burnt malts. But there's a sweet lacto feel to it as well. All in all, it's a nice little Ying-Yang type of thing going on that makes for a pleasant tug of war.

Mouthfeel: Chalky dry. Lightly carbonated. Medium bodied at best. Pleasing enough.

Drinkability: I usually grade drinkability by answering the following question, "How much desire do I have to drink this beer again??" instead of "How many of these could I kick back in a sitting??" While I could put a lot of these back in a sitting, I also have much desire to drink this beer again. So I give it a high rating for drinkability. It's very flavorful and an enjoyable experience all 'round.

Without the Bum on my side, I don't think I'd have tried any of the last 3 Anniversary Ales from Stone. So I thank you yet again, King of the Bums.

Bighuge, Jan 12, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

I can't believe I have come across this already. And for only $4.99, what a steal! From the bomber pours a very deep ruby color with a shade of brown. Huge fluffy off white head. Great head retention, lasted for quite some time. Fair amount of lace on the glass. Smells are roasted, slight chocolate, and coffee. Taste is pretty much the same, a nice roasted malt base, combined with notes of chocolate and coffee. Being Stone, of course there are hops. There is a good amount of bitterness at the end, that seems to fit well. Medium body with low carbonation. This is a fantastic beer! I am a big fan of American Brown Ales, and this is a great example. I can't find much to criticize this beer on, other than not seeming like a session beer. Who cares? Enjoy while it lasts! I will certainly look for more.

Bierguy5, Aug 21, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

Received in a trade with McAllister. Thanks, dude.

Bomber poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy reddish brown - very opaque, no transparency at all. Head is limited, but there is some definite lacing. Smell is interesting - there's some obvious roasted character, a bit of alcohol (even though the ABV isn't high, per say) and a little caramel. This is an excellent tasting brew - roasted up front with a citrusy hop finish. A little swetness in the middle makes this very complex and wonderful. Mouthfeel is nearly perfect - very chewy and memorable, creamy as well. I could drink this all night - great stuff. High recommendation if you can find it.

montageman, Feb 03, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

22oz bottle, August 2004. Sticker on bottle says $5.99 bought somewhere in Norfolk, VA.

appearance: dark with a very dark red tint. slight dark head

smell: wonderful! Hints of chocolate, coffee, and smoke

taste: Chocolately, nice smoke flavors that are not overpowering. Alcohol definately present, but in a very good fashion.

mouthfeel: A little thicker than the typical american brown ale. Fairly sticky.

drinkability: Probably did not need more than a 22oz bottle but it went down smooth and easy.

I was really impressed with the brown, more so than the DFH and Rogue that it is typically compared to.

dirtylou, Jul 26, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

The pour was a dark copper red with a one finger head that quickly dissapated to a fine white lace that held on throughout the drink.

The smell was very heavy in malt sweetness with a strong mix of spicy hops and alcohol.

The taste was where this beer got strange. The smell was totaly decieving. The front was heavy syrupy malt sweetness with a slight kick of hop bite in the middle. The finish was a slight bit of water and a lingering hop bitter.

This beer played out quite nicely across the palate. All and all I was quite impressed. Very refreshing and very drinkable.

coasterfreak75, Sep 01, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Consumed bomber after about a year cellared.

This is a brown ale with layers of IPA and even barley wine. Yum.

A - Firebrick red color like black cherry jello; dark goldenrod medium head with chunky, sticky lace.

S – Didn’t get much of a shot at smelling this stuff because I could not hold off on taking a slug. So much flavor. Will be a while before I can smell again. With help from my 15 year old daughter who is a fine sniffer, I agree there’s hoisin sauce, coffee grounds, plum and almond goin on there.

T –Smoke, pineapple, toffee, roast beef, fine whiskey, some chocolate, balanced with light hops bitter at the end. Rich, but not excessive. Plenty going on with each taste.

MF – Medium full bodied. Hits all mouth parts evenly.

D – To be savored in a nice snifter. To me, this belongs with your tawny port lineup.

A great brewery presenting something special for their fans. I’m one now more than ever.

melitameister, Sep 22, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +17%

Pours a murky brownish red with about a finger of creamy head. Nice strong estery aroma. Lots of fruit here. After the first taste, I had to pause in order to admire the complexity. Starts off full-bodied with roasted malts. There is some chocolate and and caramel, and even some smoke. Then you taste some dark fruits, and then finally the citrous and hops. True to Stone fashion, the hops are big, but they aren't huge like the Ruination. The finish is slightly alcoholic with some bitter chocolate and citrous. Damn this beer is good, too bad it is going to be gone soon. I need to store some.

BeerFink, Feb 01, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

01/08/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- Poured into my Hangtown Brewery pint glass. 22 oz bomber with no date on bottle.

Appearance- Pours a brownish-amber color with a nice tan foamy head. Lacing is about average.

Smell- Tons of caramel and roasted malt notes as well as hop bitterness.

Taste- This one kinda reminds me of a brown ale mixed with an IPA and maybe even some stout or porteresque qualities. Definite strong brown ale tastes with the roasted malt, IPA qaulities with the smooth bitter hops, and the darker beer qualities with a tad taste of burnt coffee. Excellent!

Mouthfeel- Lower carbonation than I was expecting. Medium to heavy taste. Went down super smooth.

Drinkability- May be my favorite brown ale to date. An interesting taste experience. Wondering if this one is ageable at 7.8%?

GClarkage, Jan 08, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Yet another excelent beer from Stone. This beer poured a very dark brown color with a creamy off white head that looked very nice. The smell was very roasty and smokey and very Porter-like. The taste was slightly more Porter than Brown Ale, but the great malt presence balanced the smokiness out enough so it did not float too far into the Porter catigory. A great nutty flavor also appeared and the beer had a great bittersweet aftertaste. Another in a long line of winners from Stone!

Dmann, Sep 05, 2004
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.