Stone 8th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 8th Anniversary AleStone 8th Anniversary Ale

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
4/5  rDev 0%

jaybrough, Oct 12, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

ArchitectBrewCo, Jun 05, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip. Poured the color of Hershey's Milk chocolate with nice garnet highlights. The nose was kind of subtle and vinous. Taste was big oak and vanilla and bready malts. Sweet but short of cloying. Hops are still lingering in this bad boy after 2 years...nice and complex with some good warming feeling from the alcohol. Tastes like an Imperial Brown Ale to me. Good solid offering from stone and a nice sipper but not something I could drink all night.

Bleedingshrimp, Apr 17, 2006
4.76/5  rDev +19%

Picked this up at stone brewing liberty station

Pour: a nice murky brown ale with a white thick head

Smell: opened the bottle and right away get a great sweet smell of malts

Taste: a great sweet malt flavor just to die for. Sweetness all around with the barley and the breaded malts.

Overall: being unfiltered this is greatness. The sweetness is just perfect no hoppy crazyness in this brew. I really got to sit and really truley enhoy this one.

beerviews2013, May 08, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Had on tap after touring Stone's new brewery in Escondido. Great tour by the way. Definitely make time for it. Nice folks, and a lot of information.

It's too bad that this was a Stone special release because I would like this all of the time. The smell was very roasty, more so than many coffee stouts. Hell more than most coffee!

The taste was complex; started out like a strong nut brown but without the nuts, if you can imagine, with more roastiness in the aftertaste. No alcohol was apparent in the flavor but at close to 8% I felt it pretty quick since I was on an empty stomach.

Excellent all around brew that I hope they will keep making. Maybe they can feature this one when they get the restaurant up and running (supposedly by June).

I would have picked up a growler, but predictably the place was hopping (pardon the pun), and the lines were long.

spazaru, Feb 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance:
-Head very quickly dissipates into a ring around the rim, bubbly lacing
-Deep brown/amber color

Smell:
-Strong caramel and coffee
-Little hop aroma

Taste:
-Burnt, roasted malts, but surprisingly smooth
-Bitterness seems to come from toasted malts not hops
-Slightly sweet
-Caramel flavor comes through just barely for me

Mouthfeel:
-Slightly astringent, peppery, sticks to your mouth

Overall:
Gives me sort of an old-ale impression. I like it, it's more exciting than your standard brown ale. I'd definitely drink it again.

dolem98, Oct 14, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

Many thanks to Px2GrafX for this little guy.

Good ol’ 22oz stone bomber. The back of this one is probably my favorite anniversary rant. . .it’s got my favorite word on it: Floccinauccinihilipilification. Gotta love it.

Pouring in to my trust Stone pint glass. Pours ridiculously dark. A very, very, very dark amber. . closer to mahogany. Almost no head. Hard to see through the murkiness, but there is some bubble action going on. Head is already gone.

Nose is very close to my lovely arrogant, bastardly little friend. Definite grape fruit action, some prunes. . .and hint of cherry? Very musty, perhaps a coffee overtone.

Tastes like a black and tan made with arrogant bastard and stone smoked porter (as if you could call that a black and tan). Very roasty flavor, very noticeable coffee flavor as well. Tastes a bit flat (not bad flat, but stout flat), with a carbonation/alcohol zing at the back. Starts off pruney like the bastard, but it’s predominately stout flavored from there on out. Pretty damn tasty, just not eye-opening like most of Stone’s offerings.

WaffleSauce, Apr 17, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Consumed bomber after about a year cellared.

This is a brown ale with layers of IPA and even barley wine. Yum.

A - Firebrick red color like black cherry jello; dark goldenrod medium head with chunky, sticky lace.

S – Didn’t get much of a shot at smelling this stuff because I could not hold off on taking a slug. So much flavor. Will be a while before I can smell again. With help from my 15 year old daughter who is a fine sniffer, I agree there’s hoisin sauce, coffee grounds, plum and almond goin on there.

T –Smoke, pineapple, toffee, roast beef, fine whiskey, some chocolate, balanced with light hops bitter at the end. Rich, but not excessive. Plenty going on with each taste.

MF – Medium full bodied. Hits all mouth parts evenly.

D – To be savored in a nice snifter. To me, this belongs with your tawny port lineup.

A great brewery presenting something special for their fans. I’m one now more than ever.

melitameister, Sep 21, 2011
4/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Lighter brown, somewhat close to the color of bourbon.

Smell: As my first brown ale, this was an experience. Somewhat sweet, but the color kept making me think of a dark wheat bread.

Taste: As I smelled, somewhat sweet, perhaps a smokey sugar, yet bitter. Again, as I drank this mildly bitter beer, I could not keep images of wheat bread from entering my head.

Mouthfeel: Good. Not too thick, yet not thin in the least.

Drinkability: Pretty darn good. I could drink this beer for a while.

Overall: Good. As I put 4's across the board, Good perfectly describes this beer. I hate to be so bland, but good is an excellent modifier.

bigchris1313, Oct 11, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Had this over new years. The head was pretty thick and so was the overall mouthfeel. Strong coffee and cocoa tones but not to the extent that it is too over-bearing. The alcohol content is enough to warm you from the inside out. I had this in a 22oz bottle. I would drink this one again.

zao77, Mar 28, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

i just grabbed this one today.poured out with a very nice head.i think for a beer like this you should have a little,but not much head..it smells great honestly,and tastes great too.a little less hoppy than most stone brews and its nice to see a bit of a change from them.overall a very nice brew.

odeed, Sep 19, 2004
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.