Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2005 | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2005Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2005

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Barleywine

Added by Todd on 01-26-2005

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 105 | Ratings: 123
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Wow! This beer is massive as is to be expected from Stone. Lots of sweet malt backbone, with the hoppiness coming through in the end, but this beer is young! It has unlimited potential, but will be much more drinkable in 6 months or so. I love the appearance and aroma as it is right now. The 11.26% is well hidden, unlike the Old
Crustacean from Rogue, in which the abv% is readily apparent. Good as it sits right now, but should be a top notch BW in 6-12 months!!

2/25/06
I thought this would be better after a year, but I think it was best about 6 mos ago. Still, smoooth as can be but I am a hophead and the first thing to go in the aging process is the sharp hop bite. Overall though, this is starting to mellow nicely and has not got malty just yet. I think it will take on that character in a few more months. Nice...

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Took this 22oz bomber up from the 50 deg celler and poured it into my snifter glass. Holding it up to a white sheet of paper it just has this brilliant red color to it. Looks exeptional!

S: Potent smell, the room just fill with the smell of this beast just from pouring it. Its got a deliciously malty aroma to it. Butterscotch and caramel come trhough. The sweet candy like smell of this actually makes my mouth water.

T: Simply unreal! Sweet upfront with a bit of bitterness at the end. The alcohol is there but is well masked and not over powering in the least.

M: The carbonation is good but I feel like the beer could have been a little fuller, a bit more round. Its still excelent though.

Overall this is the one of the best barley wines I've had to date. Having one of these just makes you want to try more of the style, and now that the snow is finally here I think I will be doing just that.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

I spent some time cleaning my apartment (fist time in a while) and rewarded all of my hard work with an Old Guardian. I had been anticipating this bad boy for some time. It poured out a nice copper color, quite decieving for a beer of this potency. I sniffed and sipped, and then I sipped some more. It was slightly hoppy with some sweet tones in between. For a second I could almost taste the wine, but then the alcohol struck at the end and reminded me that I was instead immersed in a beer. It tasted good and went down smooth, but after only a short time of drinking this 11.2%, 20 oz. bottle, I decided that this is for sure a drink that would best be suited for sitting back, and enjoying any one of your favorite activities. I myself ate a delciious meal, try one for yourself.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers ever...i have to say. A rich copper color with a great lacing head.

Smell of hops and berries, with alcohol present.

Mouthfeel is smooth and rich with a great after taste. Wonderful going down and after a few it will creep up on you.

I Highly recomend this beer to everyone to enjoy now or age.
I have a few ageing at this time. Very tempted to drink them but i'll wait for a while.

Overall great brew by stone. Very drinkable for a barleywine at 11%.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

[On tap @ Naja's Vertical Barleywines. Cheers to you, Martin)

Pours a gilded, brassy note..almost TOO shiny, as one feels inexorably compelled to drink it. Sand-colored head immediately dissipates with a soft off-white sheen.

Mouthfeel? Uber-creaminess front-to-mid palate, but finishes with just enough lifting Fruitcake spice to warn you of its underlying indulgence.

Huge: brandy soaked apricots, undercooked/overspiced ginger bread, and spruce-tip-infused hops bitterness.

Drinkability? Its like liquid peer pressure emanating from a glass. Truly a testament to aging, and its benefits upon Beerdom.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2005 from Stone Brewing Co.