2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 248 | Reviews: 218 | Show All Ratings:
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Just around 6 months of age on this one. Pours a light hazy peachy color with a chunky 3 finger head that leaves incredible lace as it recedes. Nose is still dominated with earthyand lightly citrus hop aromas, sitting over a chunky caramel and almost apircot and raisin fruity sweetness. Flavor is not working for me. The alcohol is definately dominant in the flavor, really getting in the way of other flavors here. Behind it, there are earthy aged hop flavors that mix with light caramel and raisin, but not to form something that I am happy with. The flavor is not working for me. The finish is moderately bitter, but a little more harsh that I would like. Feel is moderate with a carbonation that is on the light end of moderate. This one is not holding up well with age. I'd have to say this one is past its prime, so either drink it now and cut your losses or hold in and see if it has a second coming.

02-22-2006 00:48:25 | More by kmpitz2
DESTRO

Nevada

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

this is a nice looking beer. pours out a cloudy sunset with a massive head. rocky and a tad sticky. smells of alcohol with a healthy dose of a doughy malt. some citrus as well but its just a back up. taste wise...is alot like the aroma. the malt is strong and very fruity, theres a def. hop presence that is a bit tart. has a touch of a staleness to it. tastes a bit funky. a little spice and lemon pop in and out but the main focus is the malt/hop battle. full bodied and filling. overall eh, i dont know. its ok. its looks good but after that its all downhill, just seems a bit "off" to me.

05-29-2006 04:53:20 | More by DESTRO
IntriqKen

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

This is a hard review....why in the world Stone would choose a wheat based strong ale for their Anniverary Brew is beyond me, but here it goes...trying to review to type...American Strong Ale.
Poured a light reddish amber like an American Red/Amber ale...much lighter than I would expect.
Head is strong and a definate finger and a half that melts slowly to thick, thick lacing.
Aroma is predominately sweet malt with alcohol and a bit of bready yeast.
Taste is sweet malt with a bitter hop and medicinal alcohol aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is sort of thin for a strong ale, but still has plenty of carbonation and lots of alcohol burn.
Aftertaste is very VERY drying from the wheat and definately alcohol. The bitterness is not pleasant to me.
I don't want another...don't want to finish this one, so drinkability is poor.

05-07-2006 03:11:01 | More by IntriqKen
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Bright golden-orange in color. Partial haze. Good carbonation allows the bubbles to organize a fluffy white head.

Smell: Sharply citrus notes yield to a dominating bitter aroma. There's some contrasting sweet fruitiness, but its got a somewhat sour twang to it.

Taste: Predominant floral hop bitterness shadowed by some sour, pear-like flavors. The already sparse malts are squashed by the astringent bitterness. Finish is initially dry, but warmth brings forth some displeasing medicinal qualities.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and sleek with a light oiliness.

Drinkability: Not overly so, as it was a bit hard to supress myself from grimacing at the end of each swallow. It takes three times as many muscles to frown as it does to smile. My face is definitely worn out by now. I'll admit I found last year's anniversary ale to be infinitely more appealing...

11-21-2005 05:44:17 | More by ChainGangGuy
TheLongBeachBum

2.58/5  rDev -33%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

9th Anniversary Ale, September 2005 - Sampled at 1 Year Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th and 8th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the last few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: Top marks for the Catwalk looks, the off-white head is thick and crusty. High conditioning levels keep the head at least ½” throughout whilst leaving some clinging lacing that swirls in clotted patterns. The hazed orange body looks murky but the Marmalade frontage is nice enough.

Nose: Sharp, edgy, angulated and musty with a funky odor that reminds me of finding a three month old shriveled up Orange behind the Sofa. Shady yet pungent oily hesperidia are dominant and even repulsive at times.

Taste: Aggressive stance, like a swaggering drunk looking for any excuse for a fight, its hostile nature and “I want to fight you if you catch my stare” is hard to avoid. Incredibly astringent bitterness and sharp cutting hops are now distinctly way off balance…..the malts are sticky, the orange saturated hop oils are horrid. Heck this reminds me of Stoudt's DIPA, yeah it’s that bad.

Mouthfeel: Like that dive-bombing Bee around your head in the Summer, the bitter-orange astringency just will not go away…..not matter how hard I try to swat it…..that awful orange-bitterness runs rampant through this one. Euugrghhh.

Drinkability: I worked through it, but I think this is my last bottle of the 9th. Despite having a couple more left, I’m in no rush to try them, and I may just fob them off as Crimbo presents to people that I don’t like. If I can’t rid my self of my last bottles, I may very well have my first drain pour from Stone if I decide to stray into one in the future.

Overall: One Year and this still looks good, but much beyond that, nothing remains to keep a long term interest, or even hint at any “improvement” given time in its glass prison. It fades quickly, the nose is arid and unfriendly, and the tangy overtly pungent “orange sting” is very off-putting. It’s not “gone bad”, moreover it has just faded - the balance was never really there to start with IMVHO and now its sadly floundering like a Fat Elvis way past its best. This is not so much aging as just becoming annoyingly messy and a scattered collage of constituent elements.

By a mile, and several kilometres, the least favorite of the Stone Anniversaries to date for me, and I’ve tried them *all* from the 3rd up. I think Stone went in the wrong direction with this, and I’m glad to know that the 10th Anniversary DIPA is sat in my fridge right now, ready, willing and immensely able to get me back to my traditional hoppy Stone fix…..as well as getting Stone back to what they do best. The StoneWall is a truly great idea and highly commendable, the Stone folks are great people, and the Wall is the epitome of Stones heart felt passion for life and supporting all that is good - but the next StoneWall should be built at the top of the path that led down to the 9th, they really should not go back down this road. Chalk this one to experience, a bad experience.

08-25-2006 05:29:43 | More by TheLongBeachBum
ElGordo

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -33%

Picked this up on a recent trip to the Cincinnati area. The year or so it spent sitting on a shelf in the light has not been kind, I'm sad to say. Pours a cloudy orange hue with a small flourish of creamy white head that strains to get up to a half-inch before sheepishly disappearing back into the body. Aroma is rough around the edges - grapefruity, piney hops blend with a funky Belgian-esque, brett type character that is not particularly pleasant. Palate is fully distracted by this same character, to the point of rendering it a bit of a chore to drink. The hop character is still there, but it is blunted significantly by the Belgian funkiness that I'm pretty sure wasn't there when this was fresh. Body is decent and creamy, at least providing a pleasant texture. I'm sad I didn't have a chance to try this when it was a serviceable and drinkable offering.

09-24-2006 04:57:12 | More by ElGordo
mentor

Colorado

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%

Obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed a couple nights later. Pours a three finger yellow-tan head over a crystal clear golden pee colored liquid. Smells mostly hoppy but with some sweet undertones. Hops are piney and oranges, with a hint of pith. The pith mixes well with some alcohol sting and is 'talked down' by fruity esters and malt sweet. Caramel? Perhaps a hint. Tastes hop bitter mixed with alcohol sting. The alcohol is fairly smooth, but some rough fusels are present. Malt sweet rides beneath, taunting the hops and keeping the beer honest. Esters are light and syrupy, like the mouthfeel. Pear and peach syrup. Gosh, the ending is rough and dry, like I just got a mouth full of dried hay. Orange oil hangs on my tongue and apricot rises up the back of my throat. I feel my face somewhat cringing at the persistent bitter. Really thick mouthfeel and moderately carbonated.

I was thinking Imperial IPA for this beer. Strong Ale? I think not. Wa-aay too hoppy. Almost DIPA-land. My ratings are to style, which makes this beer seem much worse than it really is.

This beer is really pretty and has an interesting smell. Taste...this beer needs time to settle the alcohol and hops. Honestly, there are many other beers I'd rather cellar, as I *know* they will develop well. This one, I don't know how much it can improve. I'm certainly going to try, but I'm not sure how many bombers I'll risk.

09-26-2005 07:05:16 | More by mentor
yelterdow

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served at just over fridge temperature in a nonic. 22 oz. bottle purchased from Cable Beverages, Bardonia, NY.

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy pale gold into my glass, a rough pour results in four full fingers of well constructed bubbles. After about 8 minutes, the head settles leaving behind webs of sticky lacing and a creamy, whipped topping.

Smell- Instantly, the first aroma that hit me was lemon poundcake. As that fades, big citrusy hops come forward, gradually getting deeper and more malty. The smallest notes of alcohol are buried deep in the beer, along with a gingerlike spiciness.

Taste- Holy crap... this is seriously gonna take some fortitude to get through all by myself...
...an almost syrupy sweet caramel maltiness concedes to a blast of hops, the fierce West Coast kind (aka Bigfoot), then stumbles across the mouth and tongue leaving a destructive path of hatred. This beer is the closest resemblance of the proverbial "bull in a china shop" that I've ever come across. It's messy and uneven, and leaves a burning bitterness that even I find unpleasurable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The thin, watery weight in the mouth simply doesn't carry the intense, aggressive bitterness here... frankly, it falls flat. I haven't struggled this hard with an open mind on a tasting in months, it's just next to impossible to get through.

04-21-2006 03:53:04 | More by yelterdow
Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.