Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Yea, of course it is a strong ale; Stone brewed it. It tastes more like an IIPA. It has plenty of earthy, grassy, pine-ey and herbal spiciness--enough to justify the IIPA. It has a healthy helping in the malt character too. Big syrup flavors from the barley--enough to offset the hopping. I also detect a modest level of wheat that adds to the body, head retention, and slightly murky appearance. It is complex with over-ripened oranges, mangos, and a hint of bubble-gum. Complex spiciness and hop flavor. Not as dry as expected through the alcohol and hops. A tasty beer. Another good job Stone.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

22oz. bomber into a tulip, accompanied by some Vermont sharp.

Poured a very bright golden yellow.
Thick, frothy, white head. Nice lacing.
Moderate carbonation.

Very nice aroma of sweet malt and hops. Scent of grapefruit/citrus.
First taste has a suprisingly sweet citrus fruitiness to it.

There is somthing in there that tastes like bubblegum to me.

Strong bitter finish that sticks to the palate.

Kind of a roller coaster of a beer, at first sweet and a rather bitter finish making it a little confusing on my palate.

Strong flavors, not the most drinkable of beers, It tasted much better to me at the 9th festival. I don't think I could pound these all night long, but it has a very unique taste to it if you're in the mood for somthing different.

Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Shared this bomber with my good budaaay, known around these parts as beandip1229. Has the typical Stone hop aroma before I even pour it. Sunrise golden color with w fluffy white pillow top head. Aroma is quite floral, like a fresh bouquet of roses, sweet malt, herbal hops and alcohol.

Very grassy and herbal; hay, corn (in a Stone brew? yeah weird) flowers. Very dry, hops are light and don't provide a whole lot of bitterness - certainly not what I expect out of a Stone beer. Nonetheless, who says a change of pace isn't good sometimes? Still, this lacks the hoppy goodness and huge malt backbone that make Stone beers so well balanced and delicious. Certainly not a beer to be ashamed of, but Stone has done better. Thus, in comparison to other beers of its kind, its pretty good, yet it pales in comparison to the brethren of its brand. Not one I'd go seeking out again, but certainly one I'd have another of if available. Respek, Stone.

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

A - Golden color with a little lace on the head, it LOOKS like it's going to be a great beer.

S - Awesome smell of cascade hops and a fruit basket, the sheer amount a fruit is amazing.

T - Hoppy and incredibly refreshing, a stronger hop was anticipated but drew parrallel with the smell. Very light and clean taste with the slightest bitter at the end.

M - Super smooth and very clean, the fruit and cascade hops keep you very fresh, about as good as it comes with the mouthfeel.

D - I almost want to cry that it's both a one-ff and that we can't buy it in Illinois, I would be drinking this as a substitute, to well, fluids. At around 7% ABV and the refreshing character of this beer, drinkability is very high.

I need to find more of this beer, I may have to go to Three Floyds again, and grab a ton more of this on the way out of Indiana. I insist that everyone try this if at all possible.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, dark golden body. Ganormous fluffy off-white head, good retention, nice lacing.

Smell: Huge hop aroma, slightly grassy.

Taste: Lots of amarillo? hops up front. Light sweetness. Some bitterness, but not as much as I was expecting with the aroma. Not really that complex. The taste has one or two punches that don't really blend.

I'd give this a try. It's a tastes ok, and the hop flavor is interesting, but I'll probably not have another bomber.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

I Guess this years Stone Anniversary could be called a like or dislike it beer, I found it drinkable, certainly not as good as the past versions, but likeable at any rate.

The beer emerges from the 22-ounce brown bottle a deep gold with a nice chill haze, the head ponderous and a creamy light tan, after its demise, the lace was a thick coating to conceal the glass. Nose had a pleasant hop floral spiciness, sweet malt, crisp and clean, hints of orange peel and maybe some coriander, start was sweet, the grain profile delightful, the top middling in its feel to the palate. Finish was striking in its acidity, the hops purposeful in their spicy presence, and a touch of alcohol bitterness also present, very dry lingering after taste, I liked, the best, certainly not the worst beer I have tasted.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Stone 9th anniversary Ale

Appearance- creamy nut brown with a decent creamy head.
Smell- alcohol, malt, and hops. In that order.
Taste- light smooth malt overpowered by alcohol. Strong grassy hops.

Overall- very bland very basic. Alcohol was too present. Won't buy again.

The light amber color of this one was a bit of a surprise. Sediment was suspended in the brew. A nice, thick head went away pretty quickly. A great hoppy aroma with a hint of alcohol and fruits of some sort - perhaps tropical.

Complex. I like that.

The taste is astringent, hoppy, alcoholic, and leaves the flavors lingering in your mouth. Almost Belgian, but not quite.

Overall, a very unique and well done offering from Stone.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours from the 22oz bomber a pale gold with fluffy white head.

Smell is lightly floral hops and a bit of a tangy-ish flavor, probably from the wheat.

The taste in my opinion, was a surprise based on the smell. The bitter and grapefruity hops kick you in the butt, even though I didn't really smell them that strong in the nose. The body is lighter than expected as well. Light malt and pungeant hops dominate this brew from start to finish.

As for being drinkable, yeah, I guess it's pretty drinkable. I am a hop-head, but this was almost too much of a one trick pony for me. I prefer complex hop interplay, but this seems very one-sided. It's still a great brew, just don't know how much of it I could handle.

This is a beer with an identity crisis. It seems to not know if it wants to be a IPA or a wheat beer, and as it is it falls somewhere in the middle. The beer looked great with a nice thick white head and a nice golden color. The smell was quite hoppy but not in the traditional Stone way, and had a very citrusy tropical scent to it as well. The flavor was nice and pretty complex so I think a couple more tastings will be needed to figure this one out. There was a nice hop bite but that tropical sweetness tried to come through at the same time, coupled by the alchohol flavor. I think over time the alchohol flavor will fade farther into the background and this beer will be much better than it is today. Still recommended.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Awesome beer from stone. Thanks to Liquid Solutions for providing the bottle. Pours to a light golden, semi hazy with a huge fluffy white head and an active carbonation. Poured into my weizen glass the carbonation caused a tornado effect while the head cascaded up the glass. Looks beautiful, and the head has some serious staying power.

Smells very hoppy, definitely amarillo. Very huge citric nose with a nice accompanying sweet malt. With enough sniffing, the alcohol becomes apparent.

The taste is quite bitter and citric the whole way through. Strange malty flavor, almost a belgian funk quality to it. The alcohol flavor is a bit much. Has a good bite to it. The hop flavor doesn't linger in the finish, though a dry bitter mouthfeel as well as some residual sugars stick around for a while. I really love those hops.

Drinkability would be much better if not for the strong alcohol presence and slight unexpected funkiness. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and would drink it again if offered a bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

I'm not afraid to say it, there will be Stone beers you will hate from time to time. Its a hell of a corporate philosophy, I think. If you don't like something from Stone, just try something else.

Or realize that you may be unworthy. It could happen.

I didn't like last year's big-ass brown ale. I'm in love with this year's, maybe a glance towards Gumballhead, actually, a tribute to the Amarillo hop in all its love-it-or hate it caustic bitterness.

Poofy head unceasing and Belgian in quality, this is a gorgeous looking light-colored ale. Give this to someone drinking BMC just to watch their face pucker up. Trust me, you'll enjoy it. Get a picture if you can.

There is a palate assault here on caliber with Ruination, some almost fiery twinges of metallic bittering and hop finishes as subtle as smoky scotch.

Somehow still refreshing, take this one as it comes because there's no suggestion of cellaring on the bottle, nor any sense at all on the label. Seriously, these are just not fun anymore. Or maybe i'm just still not Stone worthy.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Stone 9th Anniversary is packaged in a 22oz bomber with a label containing a whole bunch of words that I don't know, and no description of the beer inside. It seems as if the thesaurus was applied liberally. Upon pouring, it is immediately apparent that the hops were applied liberally as well. Spicy citrus and pine dominate the nose of this golden brew. Taste is very hoppy, but not as aggressively bitter as a Ruination. Malt profile is quite low, perhaps due to the use of wheat in the brew, but this beer is full bodied. Little bit of wheat tang in the finish. Medium carbonation, I little hot in the finish.

As for style,even though it has some wheat, I would probably throw it into the Double/Imperial IPA category. At least, that is what you should expect when you drink it, even if it doesn't technically apply.

2.55/5  rDev -33.6%

Obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed a couple nights later. Pours a three finger yellow-tan head over a crystal clear golden pee colored liquid. Smells mostly hoppy but with some sweet undertones. Hops are piney and oranges, with a hint of pith. The pith mixes well with some alcohol sting and is 'talked down' by fruity esters and malt sweet. Caramel? Perhaps a hint. Tastes hop bitter mixed with alcohol sting. The alcohol is fairly smooth, but some rough fusels are present. Malt sweet rides beneath, taunting the hops and keeping the beer honest. Esters are light and syrupy, like the mouthfeel. Pear and peach syrup. Gosh, the ending is rough and dry, like I just got a mouth full of dried hay. Orange oil hangs on my tongue and apricot rises up the back of my throat. I feel my face somewhat cringing at the persistent bitter. Really thick mouthfeel and moderately carbonated.

I was thinking Imperial IPA for this beer. Strong Ale? I think not. Wa-aay too hoppy. Almost DIPA-land. My ratings are to style, which makes this beer seem much worse than it really is.

This beer is really pretty and has an interesting smell. Taste...this beer needs time to settle the alcohol and hops. Honestly, there are many other beers I'd rather cellar, as I *know* they will develop well. This one, I don't know how much it can improve. I'm certainly going to try, but I'm not sure how many bombers I'll risk.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a cloudy dark gold/orange. Impressive white head with very nice lace left on the glass.

As typical of the Stone brewery, wonderful fresh hop smells are the major component of the aroma. I also detected a spoiled milk aroma on the initial pour, which was a little distracting.

Hop heads rejoice: here's another sampling from the finest heavy-handed hop brewery in the US. Malt, we don't need no stinking malt...malt is simply there to deliver the bitter hop wallop. Let's see, first sip: bitter hop. Mouthfeel: Hoppy fullness. Swallow: Yep, hop. Aftertaste: some dry hoppy bitterness that lingers a very long time. OK, I can find some of the oiliness of a heavily malted beer, but not much of the taste.

If your heart is into IPA's or double IPA's, you'll love this one. As a strong ale, the malt is overwhelmed. I still enjoy this, but that is my inclination.

Picked up a couple bombers at Colonial while in the Acton area...
Pours a clear golden amber w/ a full two fingers of bright white head, which sticks around for quite a bit...lacing is thick.
Tons of scents going on here...juicy fruit hops up front w/ some spice, citrus and just a hint of alcohol.
Taste is very enjoyable...hard to believe this is a wheat beer at first, but as you get further and further into this bomber, it becomes more and more apparent.
A boatload of hops bittering this one up...w/ a nice malt backbone to add that sweetness. Alcohol is also noticable in the taste and the finish is quite bitter...Orange rind comes to mind as it warms.
Mouthfeel is above average and the drinkability is decent, but I would think twice before drinking this one all evening.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Hazy orange/copper color. A few tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Thick off-white pillowy head. Good retention, and nice patches of lace left on the glass. Grassy, citrusy aroma. Malt flavor is a bit weak, then followed by a big amount of grassy, citursy hops. Very bitter. Malt character is lost. As mentioned before, very aspirin-like in the finish. Slightly warming, medium body. I think this malt/hop combo doesn't work as well as others, as this is somewhat overwhelming.

Hazy golden color with a thick and rocky off-white head. Thin and stringy lacing. Aroma of citrus, spice and hops. Light, zesty body with a crisp and peppery character. Grapefruit, hops and spice flavors dominate but there is a bit of sweet malt in the background too. The finish is spicy with more citrus. Pretty good hodgepodge style beer.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

hazy orange beer with tight head of foam, some sparse zigzag lacing lines left lingering. aroma is a cute citrus hop.. pink grapefruit flavored candy. some deeper light fruits like apricot and fig. subtle malts. tastes light for a strong ale.. explosively floral like lysol bathroom spray with super fresh herbal hop dominating. sweet without viscosity. something slightly off in the finish.. musky. mouthfeel is light, and bitterness is there, but super fresh and not at all chalky or affecting the beer's texture in a negative way. people seem to think this will improve with age, i really dig the fresh flavors. i'd like it fresh on tap... that would be the ideal 9 situation. once the hops mellow here, i can see the musk taking over and the sweetness way too far in the front of the beer's flavor.

not stone's best, but a decent effort and something i'll have again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a light orange color with a nice fluffy white head that sticks like glue to the glass,oh the Amarillos oh sweet Jesus this hop varietal has made me a hop head fresh herbal hop hits the nose and wakes the senses.This baby has a kick alcohol with big herbal and citrus notes no aspirin here.Somewhat sweet but not overly so to me this would be the Amarillo hop fans dream and Iam one of them I will get more I have a few more to share with friends but I will try to get more.

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This one poured a brilliant orange in color and was very thick. The head was orangish white, stubborn, and left some nice lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – Man, this is straight floral hopping up the nose. I think it’s Amarillo, but whatever they used they did it in spades. This is supposed to be an extreme version of the failed wheat beer that they did, but I’m only finding a hint of wheat and maybe imagining that.

Taste – Yes, a little more citrusy wheat finds it’s way to the taste, but this is classic Stone hoppification. The Amarillo is all over the place. I’ve had this hop flavor mostly as a compliment to other tastes, but here it’s on steroids and defines the ale. The flavor is beyond classification, so don’t compare this to other ASAs.

Mouthfeel – This fella is well bigger than medium-bodied but I wouldn’t call it full. The carbs are light but mature. It’s not overly bitter or dry at all but it does manage to refresh.

Drinkability – If Paul Bunyon was mowing Montana and wanted to take a beer break, this is what he would grab.

Comments – I originally had this at release in 2005, but skyhand brought over a cellared ’05 that we popped in May 2006. She is the Cellar Queen so I knew this was rightfully aged.

This was so much better after a year in the caring hands of skyhand. The body was a beautiful glowing orange, the hops at the nose were completely opened up, and the malt flavors just melted in your mouth. This was medium-bodied, well-balanced, and a terrific example of how a beer can improve under the right conditions and the right care.

I'm raising most of my ratings up by 0.5 and officially considering this a Stone classic.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A lot of times you'll hear about a beer that is way hyped and turns out to not live up to it. Then occasionally you'll hear a beer get knocked, but when you finally try it, it's great. That's sort of the situation with this beer. I read that it was sort of a flop, but I decided to try it anyway and I'm glad I did. Appears a very vibrant yellow with orange amber hues, pretty cloudy, and a nice lasting head. Smells like when you stick your nose into a bag of hop pellets, nice and juicy. Taste is equally hoppy, providing a more fruity flowery citrus boquet rather than bitterness, although of course there's a big of that. I thought this beer might be too sweet from the smell, but it really is pretty well balanced. Less cloying than their Ruination. I'd almost call this an IPA, instead of a strong ale, but there's a nice warming alcohol quality to it, and nice fruity malts. Chewy mouthfeel and I found this one pretty entertaining to drink. I'd definately recommend it and I might even go pick up another bottle sometime to see what I think all over again. A good brew.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

I got this bomber at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Nice painted label says September 2005.

Pours a hazy light copper/orange with a two finger head of off-white foam. Looks effervescent. Head is sticky, and there is great lacing on the glass.

Aroma is strong grapefruit, lemons, and tangerines, kind of piney, and yes, a little bubblegum. Amarillo hops. After a while, you can smell light toffe malts, and later some alcohol.

First flavor is grapefruit, very bitter, followed by lemons and tangerines. If you don't like Amarillo hops, this one isn't for you. There is a decent amount of residual sugar here, balancing this out nicely. It's pretty bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. Finish is bitter, citrus, and sweet toffee. I like this beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with soft to medium carbonation. Bitterness in the throat, sweetness and hop resins on the tongue, and an alcohol warmth late.

I still like Amarillo hops, so this is very good to me. Well made beer, well balanced for the style, and quite yummy in my tummy. I could drink this all day long.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

App: Cloudy orange with thick white head, little lacing.

Smell: Yeasty and bready. You can smell the hops as well and some orange peel. Almost pilsner like.

Taste: It's balanced decently for a stone brew. Lots of hops. Clean dry finish. Touch of citrus. Not bad.

Mouth: A bit lighter than I'd like. Low carbonation but works well.

Drink: Decent. A bit heavy on the alcohol taste for a 7.8% abv beer.

Ovr: Not a bad offering but I don't think it's anything too special. It's blanced well, but a bit one dimensional.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

The beer pours a deep yellow color with a medium sized pure white head. The head drops almost immediately leaving practically no lacing on the glass.

The smell is nice but nothing terribly exciting - there are sweet grain notes (I'm sure it's not in there but there's a note that's just like corn syrup) along with a rather floral hop bouquet. There are also piny and citrus hop smells as well but they're pretty far in the background.

Taste is quite nice - this is a surprisingly sweet strong ale and the hops really take a back seat to the grains and sugars. There are quite a bit of fruit notes including tangerine and peach. There's also a pretty pronounced alcohol note but it compliments the sweetness rather than distract from the taste. Hops are certainly present here but by most 'big' standards the hops are very well controlled. Stone seems to avoid the PNW hops (4C's) in favor of more floral, herbal hops and at least here it works. You come away with a sweet, lightly spicy experience without any real hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is fine - this is a medium to light bodied brew with (just barely) enough carbonation to clear the palate after each sip. No real bitterness or astringency at the end of each sip.

It's a drinkable beer and one of the better uses for the floral Stone hopping. Alcohol taste is a bit too present but it brings out the fruit notes, hopping is pretty well balanced. I'd be interested in trying this again next spring to see how well the hops have mellowed into the brew.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.