1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had this one a long, long time. Figure I may as well drink it on a hot summer day.

Golden body. Finger of creamy white head.

Nose is a bit stale. Over-sweet malt and hops that once were...

Flavor is still pretty good. Strong but smooth. Marshmallow malt, light citrus, a little spiciness. Interesting blend of flavors.

Mouthfeel is solid, slick, low to moderate carb.

Overall, this is still a solid strong ale. I know that Stone was going for something lighter than their usual anniversary IPA with this one. They succeeded, but I wish I knew what it tasted like when fresh.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 22oz bomber.

This beer pours a cloudy golden with a fluffy white head that holds nicely and leaves a good bit of lace. The smell is tons of sweet malts with a nice hop aroma to complement it. The taste is up front with sweetness from lightly kilned malts along with a flavorful but rather subtle hop profile. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with some residual stickiness and even carbonation. Overall, its a good beer but Stone has doen better.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Slightly hazy orange in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. Lots of citrusy c-hop aromas, with a bit of gloral and green hop contribution in the background. Loads of up-front hop flavors eventually fade into syrupy biscuit grains and a subtle tangy wheat finish. I would have liked to have seen the wheat aspects of this beer amped up as much as the hops, but this is still a good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance is a hazy golden orange with a large frothy white head. The aroma is of grapefruit, hops and a hint of wheat and yeast. Its flavor starts off with grapefruit and citrus then moves into a mellow wheat taste, then finishes with hop bitterness. It is quite interesting, though I did not expect an APWA to taste like this.
Medium in body and a bit oily. Good, though I don’t think I will seek out another.

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy slightly rusty golden color- tons of off-white creamy looking head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Smells hoppy and lightly lemon. And oh yeah- hoppy. And just in case you're confused- hoppy. American Strong Ale? Not an IPA? Okay, if you say so... now, to taste...

Hoppy, once again. Sliiiightly muted hops- not too intense, but certainly hoppy. Similar to their IPA and Ruination IPA- in a blind taste testing I would have sworn this was an IPA. As an IPA, lovely. As an ASA? I don't know... it's... NOT one.

Mouthfeel is good- a tad too watery for me, but overall easy to swallow. I am definitely hunting this down again- they need to make this stuff in 6packs. I'd be a happy, happy girl.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale is a little hard to classify. It's pretty much an IPA with wheat and just enough malt to edge it over into the strong ale style.

The pour is clear orange/gold with a creamy head. The noise is much like a big IPA with orange peel (not in the way witbiers use fresh and zesty orange peel), dried apricot and a pinch of herbs. The flavor is pretty much the same, although the apricot trumps the orange. The impending bitterness has a spicy bite and it gets an earthy, malty backing. The carbonation is solid and I didn't get nearly as much over-the-top alcohol flavor as some of the other reviewers. Balance was never one of Stone's goals, neither was keeping within traditional style guidelines and this one is no exception. I'll give them an "E" for effort right now. Hopefully the earthy, herbal flavors will calm down and mature with age.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

22oz Bomber.
Pours out a clear orange/yellow with a small, quickly evaporating head.
Aroma is fruity and piney.
Flavor is pine and grapefruit pith with some malty sweetness. Wheat is there, but barely detectable.
Grapefruity tingle on the finish. Kind of like a watered down Ruination.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Very floral aroma. Hoppy but the hops take a bit of a backseat to yeasty esters. A little bread-like. Some American Grapefruit hop aroma. There is also a pretty strong malt aroma after it settles and some of the other aromatics dissipate.

Pale gold, big, bubbly white head. Nice lacing. A little bit cloudy. Rising carbonation is big bubbles.

Very sharp hop bitterness. Strong citrus, more like orange in the flavor that the grapefruit in the aroma. Good malt in mid-palate. Seems like mostly pilsner or light base malt. Finishes with a nice hop flavor that lasts in your mouth but isn't plaque scrapping bitter. Really well balanced for a Stone product which tend to be over-the-top bitter and resiny (not that that's necessarily bad.)

Carbonation level is a little biting, maybe to strong. Scrubs away some of the flavor right off. Medium-full bodied and fairly creamy.

Pretty nice beer overall. Strong but not overpowering, same with the hops. Big but not too much.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer emerged from the dedicated beer fridge and then from the bottle and into my pint where its lovely orange honey colour has lit up the room. It has a sticky tannish head that holds on like a champ before casting off clinging chunks to the sides of my vessel. It is nicely carbonated with both plump and high speed bubbles and some smaller and more relaxed springs of tiny ones.

The nose is bizzarrely lemon tinged to my whiffing. It has the charactertic uber sweet sugary malt crustiness as well. It has "that roughness" to it as expected. Only slightly dirty.

The taste is so much more delightful than I was expecting. Usually this style leaves me gritting sticky teeth and fetching for my insulin, but I think I may actually be able to deal with this. It is sweet and a bit lemony which is still throwing me. It has a fair degree of bitterness with a sort of leafy hop character. It dries out in the end which may be amplified by the alcoholic presence. Overall the malt sweetness is pronounced, but not cloying at all. I am assuming this lemon flavour is a mixture of the malt and the citrus properties of the hop oils. I am really at a loss. It reminds me of a dessert that mom used to make. Weird but alright somehow. Call me mad.

Mouthfeel is at the fat end of medium. Somehow Stone brews always seem to be magically more light and flitty than you would expect even with brutally powerful mixtures. I love this about the way they brew. Everything just feels so fresh and clean.

Drinkability is good. I am actually dropping this stuff down the shoot faster than I thought I could and faster than I know I should. I am truly shocked and delighted. This style as well as old ales are typically too sugary for me, but this baby is alright with me. I am glad I held onto this. I am glad it is still good. Now I have to wonder what was it like brand new. Oh the torure. It's good now, so I guess I will forget about it and be happy. Done.

Pours a hazy copper colour, with an off white head. Aroma is full of sweet fruitiness, citrus peel and tangy, piney hops. Mouthfeel is on the thick side with low carbonation. Lacks smoothness, but still pretty pleasant to drink. Finish is dry and bitter. Overall a pretty good ale.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Slightly hazy straw / orange body capped with a rocky finger of foam with the consistency of egg whites. The nose is ripe with grapefruit and sweet fruits.

Entry is ruled by sheer upfront hoppiness which quickly dissipates into a mellow, fruity midtaste which shows the touch of wheat and lack of strong malts.

The finish begins with another charge of citrus hops which fades quickly into virtual nothingness...well, except for a lingering slickness on the middle and back section of the tongue.

This is certainly a different style for Stone and it stands up, well, a little differently. It's almost as though that wack-job Vinnie from Russian River temporarily took control of Mr. Chase's gray matter for awhile...know what I mean?

Had at the Brickskeller in DC

Poured a light, not quite clear, straw color. Looks a bit fizzy and light for a Stone! Head is huge and white with medium bubbles. Huge hop aroma, citrus and pine, a bit perfumey.

First taste is sweet and hoppy, citrus (orange) dominates. Long, bitter aftertaste.

More of what I expect from Stone, but an American Strong ale? Expect a different IPA and you will like it. I found it very easy to drink

And read the back of the bottle... WTF?

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip glass the beer was a light copper color with three fingers of fluffy white head and lots of carbonation bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Excellent lacing throughout the sample as well.

The smell was of hops and slight malt. Pine, orange and other citrus and flowery aromas.

The hops great the palate first with a floral blast of bitterness with sublte orange, grapefruit, and assorted citrus flavors. Bitter to the end of each sip but also smooth and some what balanced to the finish. Alcohol is apparent and becomes more so as the beer warms slightly. Crisp to the finish and highly carbonated.

Medium body with bright crisp carbonation.

This beer was enjoyable but certainly not earth shattering. Balance favored the hops (like just about all Stone beers). At times, hop flavor just overpowering everything else leading to some balance issues for me, but overall the beer was drinkable and enjoyable. The alcohol makes itself known as the sample goes on and tends to really "kick in" just as the bomber finishes.

This is a beer with an identity crisis. It seems to not know if it wants to be a IPA or a wheat beer, and as it is it falls somewhere in the middle. The beer looked great with a nice thick white head and a nice golden color. The smell was quite hoppy but not in the traditional Stone way, and had a very citrusy tropical scent to it as well. The flavor was nice and pretty complex so I think a couple more tastings will be needed to figure this one out. There was a nice hop bite but that tropical sweetness tried to come through at the same time, coupled by the alchohol flavor. I think over time the alchohol flavor will fade farther into the background and this beer will be much better than it is today. Still recommended.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

22oz. bomber into a tulip, accompanied by some Vermont sharp.

Poured a very bright golden yellow.
Thick, frothy, white head. Nice lacing.
Moderate carbonation.

Very nice aroma of sweet malt and hops. Scent of grapefruit/citrus.
First taste has a suprisingly sweet citrus fruitiness to it.

There is somthing in there that tastes like bubblegum to me.

Strong bitter finish that sticks to the palate.

Kind of a roller coaster of a beer, at first sweet and a rather bitter finish making it a little confusing on my palate.

Strong flavors, not the most drinkable of beers, It tasted much better to me at the 9th festival. I don't think I could pound these all night long, but it has a very unique taste to it if you're in the mood for somthing different.

Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance is a deep hazy gold with good lace. Aroma has lemon zest and a musty leather with some apricot. PLEASE look at my past reviews: I LOVE Stone Brewing Co.! I have bought their coasters and the Arrogant Bastard beer glasses. But this is a major faux pas!

WAY too bitter, and way too much like Guardian.

The initial taste is good, but goes down hill from there! Stone should have road tested this beer before releasing it!

Slightly sweet malt is overwhelmed with under carbonated bitters.

And too much alcohol!

Finish makes one want to find some better beer to kill the taste!

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bomber courtesy of Beerhandy.

Pours a golden coper color with a fluffy slightly off-white head. Lacing and retention are very good.
Smell is caramel, toffee, mild hops, which is kind of surprising because this one looks like an IPA. Plums, pears, green apples, etc. A very well rounded aroma.
Taste is similar to aroma. Loads of caramel, toffee, and fruity flavors. Hops are dialed up quite a bit in the flavor (as to be expected from Stone), and balance out the sweetness quite well.
Mouthfeel is good, nothing to complain about one bit here.
Overall, a very drinkable and highly enjoyable beer from Stone. I really can't find much wrong with any of their beers, and this one is no exception. It strikes me more of an English IPA than an American Strong Ale, but hey, what's in a name? Still a damn fine beer.

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

A deep honey colored brew with a light off white head on top. Aroma of orange, pine needles and spice play in. Flavor is a bitter twang from the hops and nothing else. A bitter dry aftertaste left behind and that is about it. Mouthfeel is ok; drinkability is well, a bit low as this brew really doesn’t have much going on, kind of one dimensional. There is something missing in this brew. Now, it reminds me of an IPA. It seems to be lacking any depth. Let’s see how this will age……Time will tell.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours with a big, thick, dimpled dirty white head of small and medium bubbles. Loads of staying power with gorgeous lacing. Beautiful burnt gold with ample carbonation streams rising to the surface. The smell is big and hop-filled, piney and citrusy, juicy hops with hints of alcohol underneath. There are some citrus notes up front, but mostly the mouth is initially loaded with alcohol, and I find myself asking "where are those hops I just smelled?" Then they surface in the finish, fighting their way through the alcohol. Seems to gain balance as the bottle is consumed, and there is plenty of pine and citrus lingering, coating the mouth and off-setting the alcohol. It has a big mouthfeel, but relatively light body with vibrant carbonation keeps everything moving. Plenty drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

this is a nice looking beer. pours out a cloudy sunset with a massive head. rocky and a tad sticky. smells of alcohol with a healthy dose of a doughy malt. some citrus as well but its just a back up. taste wise...is alot like the aroma. the malt is strong and very fruity, theres a def. hop presence that is a bit tart. has a touch of a staleness to it. tastes a bit funky. a little spice and lemon pop in and out but the main focus is the malt/hop battle. full bodied and filling. overall eh, i dont know. its ok. its looks good but after that its all downhill, just seems a bit "off" to me.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

22 oz brown bomber bottle.

Pours a light amber color, good head, attractive. Aroma is hoppy, citrus, bold. Flavor is a good balance of malt sweetness and hops with a nice finish. Bit of alcohol as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and not too carbonated. Very drinkable considering the decent strength with well balanced flavors.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

I got this bomber at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Nice painted label says September 2005.

Pours a hazy light copper/orange with a two finger head of off-white foam. Looks effervescent. Head is sticky, and there is great lacing on the glass.

Aroma is strong grapefruit, lemons, and tangerines, kind of piney, and yes, a little bubblegum. Amarillo hops. After a while, you can smell light toffe malts, and later some alcohol.

First flavor is grapefruit, very bitter, followed by lemons and tangerines. If you don't like Amarillo hops, this one isn't for you. There is a decent amount of residual sugar here, balancing this out nicely. It's pretty bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. Finish is bitter, citrus, and sweet toffee. I like this beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with soft to medium carbonation. Bitterness in the throat, sweetness and hop resins on the tongue, and an alcohol warmth late.

I still like Amarillo hops, so this is very good to me. Well made beer, well balanced for the style, and quite yummy in my tummy. I could drink this all day long.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

I've used my standard tulip for this one. It is burnt orange with a decent head. The bubbles are larger than I would expect. The nose is that of a IIPA. Citrusy, somewhat piney hops abound, with a wheat-like malt bill.

The taste is quite hoppy. Citrus flavors hit me first, followed by bubblegum flavored malt (not too sweet), then I taste the wheat, followed by slight bitterness. This is like a Wheat IIPA.

The mouthfeel is thick with very good carbonation. I can taste this for several minutes after I swallow, due in part to the coating nature of the beer. I find this to be very drinkable. I don't think I will cellar many of these, as I dig the hops of this beer.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.