Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours orange color with some head a lacings, nothing spectacular.

Of course its Stone so super hoppy right away on the aroma but still a huge base of malt in there. Reminds me of a Chirstmas tree also some Citrus/grapefruit with a strong sweetness of grainy malt.

Medium to full body, quite syrupy with no bitter aftertaste, hides the alcohol very well, no alchohol warming really to speak of. Taste is big on malt AND hops, no hiding what is going on in there. Quite tasty and for a strong ale and I would say quite drinkable. However for the asking price of $4.99 for a 22 oz bomber I would have to limit my intake.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

This is the second time I tried this beer – the first time I was trying to put out a fire caused by the spicy mustard on my stuffed sandwich pastrami and it did the job well . Now as I taste it I wish I had some food to match this interesting brew. It looked like a standard American pale ale with muted hops on the nose. Three things make it different – a pronounced grapefruit flavor, an alcohol burn and a pleasant but unique aftertaste that grows on you the more you drink. There is some bottle sediment so this is one to try again in a few months.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Received this in a trade with autumnaldave! Cheers

Poured this brew into my glass and a massive head exploded. As I wait for this head to die down I will watch some football.

okay, well a full five mins later and its ready to release its drink.

The smell of this 2 year old beer is so rich and strong. It smells of sweet fruits and a little bit of alcohol.
I think this brew is or has developed a creaminess thats rich and full. I really enjoy this beer. Compare to a year before (8th Ann) this beer has really stepped up.

Overall this beer is still full of flavor, creamy notes, and a little booze. Its super drinkable and I would love to have another.

22 ounces in a bottle.

Pours a very middle of the road copper color, looks like an IPA, makes a fuffly cloud of head. American strong ale is such a vague category BJCP category, meh. Is this to style? sure, why the hell not.

Aroma is weird, like breakfast... seriously, this smells like fresh toasted bread or even pancakes hot off the griddle. There's some nutty character in there too. Light roasty caramel, subtle hints of citrus hops linger in the background, mostly subdued by toast.

Has an assertively sweet flavor all around, apricot & mandarin oranges, green raisin, nutty, but this was much better fresh... which is kind of a bummer because I didn't care for it too much fresh due to some powdery notes from excessive amarillo hops.

Medium bodied, leaves a sticky thick coating on the palate, finishes damp. Not really enjoying this...

IMHO, this doesn't age well at all, I have a couple bottles in the cellar... and I'm not excited about sampling them again.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice orange color with light head that leaves sticky lace all over the place.

Grapefruit aroma, with some other citrus as well.

Caramel malts are strong contenders and a alcoholic pineapple grapefruit flavor comes and pervades the entire brew. Hops are definitely citrusy. A slight solvent/medicinal flavor detracts from this brew towards the finish. Overall unique and interesting.

Medium to full bodied, fine carbonation.

I find this to be exceptionally interesting, and I look forward to aging it out a little to tame to flavors. Worth a try for sure.

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

Golden hue with a pure white thin head that holds surprisingly well. Thin random spots of lace.

Nose is floral and fruity hops. A lot more hops than I expected a year and two months after release. Bubblegum and maybe some peaches sneaking into this aroma. The wheat is there but hidden by tons and tons of hops.

Is this Stone 9th or Gumballhead? Wheaty with TONS of hops. Is Stone sure this one is only 50 IBUs? Lots of fruit and floral hops rocking the mouth and palate. It finishes dry (hoppy) and spicy (maybe from the wheat?). Gorgeous beer.

Many thanks to Mschae1017 for sharing a bomber of this bad boy. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Stone 9th Anniversary is packaged in a 22oz bomber with a label containing a whole bunch of words that I don't know, and no description of the beer inside. It seems as if the thesaurus was applied liberally. Upon pouring, it is immediately apparent that the hops were applied liberally as well. Spicy citrus and pine dominate the nose of this golden brew. Taste is very hoppy, but not as aggressively bitter as a Ruination. Malt profile is quite low, perhaps due to the use of wheat in the brew, but this beer is full bodied. Little bit of wheat tang in the finish. Medium carbonation, I little hot in the finish.

As for style,even though it has some wheat, I would probably throw it into the Double/Imperial IPA category. At least, that is what you should expect when you drink it, even if it doesn't technically apply.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

pours a dark gold color, not a lot of carbonation. Big white head that dissapates very quickly, Aroma is spicy/malt/cinnamon.

taste is malty/hops/spicy/bitterness/alcohol. very dry on the finish.

Pretty easy drinking beer.

I remember having this on tap and thought it was much better than the bottle.

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clear copper color with plenty of pillowy head. A little bit of sticky lacing too. The aroma is citrusy with some fresh cut grass and floral notes. Taste is sweet, with some grassy hops. Almost a cereal sweetness to it. The hop flavor is strong, but not overpowering. It is fairly full bodied and well carbonated. Very easy to drink and hides its strength well. For the price, I will probably not stock up on this, but it's a pretty nice beer.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, dark golden body. Ganormous fluffy off-white head, good retention, nice lacing.

Smell: Huge hop aroma, slightly grassy.

Taste: Lots of amarillo? hops up front. Light sweetness. Some bitterness, but not as much as I was expecting with the aroma. Not really that complex. The taste has one or two punches that don't really blend.

I'd give this a try. It's a tastes ok, and the hop flavor is interesting, but I'll probably not have another bomber.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance – Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a slightly orange tinge. The head is generous and frothy.

Smell – Fairly heavy on the citrus aromas to begin. Oranges seem to stick out. There is a decent malty smell as well with hints towards alcohol. Bitter hops are present as expected.

Taste – This one is fairly robust. The citric flavors are quite large. Alcohol makes itself very present indeed. Strong bitter hop flavors are dominant as well. There is decent malt flavor as well with slight spicy hints. Not bad but it seems unbalanced as some flavors stick out heavily for short amounts of time as others take over.

Mouthfeel – Good here. Nice smooth carbonation with a fairly viscous body.

Drinkability – Well it’s not bad. I felt a few flavors really stood out a bit too hard. It wasn’t hard to drink but it wasn’t all that easy either.

A good beer which I am happy to have tried…but not something I’ll go looking for.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

App: Cloudy orange with thick white head, little lacing.

Smell: Yeasty and bready. You can smell the hops as well and some orange peel. Almost pilsner like.

Taste: It's balanced decently for a stone brew. Lots of hops. Clean dry finish. Touch of citrus. Not bad.

Mouth: A bit lighter than I'd like. Low carbonation but works well.

Drink: Decent. A bit heavy on the alcohol taste for a 7.8% abv beer.

Ovr: Not a bad offering but I don't think it's anything too special. It's blanced well, but a bit one dimensional.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours golden peach, hazy and unfiltered looking. Nice creamy pile of head sticks to the sides of my Stone IPA glass.
Sweet blast of hops in the nose, like grapefruit and orange rolled into one.
Taste is more citrus hops,sweet and lightly bitter with an aftertaste that mellows down into something approaching smoothness.
Something a little different, in kind of a catch-all category. It's an IPA, but more. It's a DIPA, but not an all-out hop monster. Fans of Stone's IPA's will find themselves enjoying this brew.
From the Gilroy BevMo.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

It is a beautiful clear light orange beer with a thick white head. It smells great. There is a sweet fruity smell, and a citrusy hop aroma that is very inviting. The taste is nice and hoppy and not too sweet, nicely balanced in favor of the hops. The mouthfeel is good as well, not too thin but not syrupy thick like some people are making their hoppy higher alcohol beers. Drinkability is also good, the 7.8% is a nice compromise between a session beer and other big beers.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

From a bottle labeled September 2005.

Pours a clear honey color, with an extremely dense, sticky white head almost an inch thick. Good lacing, visible carbonation.

Smells very strongly of bananas and lemongrass. Slightly sweet, not too complex.

Tastes of bananas, mandarin oranges, pears, and grapefruits, with a hint of cloves in the finish. Crisp, tasty, thoroughly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, thanks to the brisk carbonation and hops.

Tasty stuff! Be nice to see where it's at in a year.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Poured on Super Bowl Sunday from a 22 oz. bottle.

You can't miss the orange in this beer with the white froth on top. It looks like an orange creamsicle.

The smell is like an aged orange rind. Slightly sweet but like it has been sitting out a bit, dulling the smell a tad.

As always, really good hops in this one. They give you a bitterness that definitely doesn't purse your lips. Hoppy, for sure but not as much as some other stones. The hops change and become smoother as it warms but you definitely can't ignore them. The spicy orange rind is there, too.

The alcohol content is high and very noticeable. You get some of it in the taste and with a bottle this size, one can hit you pretty quick so having more than one is not so certain if you want to keep your wits.

Another great Stone worth turning over.

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I poured this special elixir into my Arrogant Bastard glass from a 22 oz. bomber.Deep golden liquid filled the glass about half way, then an off-white head shot up the rest and retained its composure for a little while. A light citrusy aroma hit my senses as I stuck my nose to the edge of the glass. I attempted to take a sip while waiting out the head to settle down and as I got a little bit of nectar...I let out a big sneeze (hoppy beers always make me sneeze). I knew that this was going to be an experience. The beer wasn't as hoppy as I anticipated, but it was still bitter to the end. There wasn't much lingering afterwards either. A very nice balance of malt and hops. Mouthfeel is sort of medium, kind of chewy, but very drinkable despite its 7.8% alcohol. Hopefully I can get my hands on their tenth anniversary release.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Found a few of these at a bottle shop in Thousand Oaks (CA), they looked to have a lot of sediment, but I went for them anyway.
Served in a Duvel tulip from the 22oz bottle.

A – A golden orange color, getting close to cooper but not that dark. The beer was very cloudy also, but I wasn’t scared, I was more intrigued. Had a decent off white head that held its retention very well, but wasn’t lacing like other Stone beers.

S – Pine, citrus and a little grass hop smell, shocking because this beer is 6 years old and I was expecting all of the hop smells to have dissipated. There was a mild malt sent also, but also a booze smell, light a higher alcohol content beer.

T – This had a strong alcohol flavor, but doesn’t downplay the rest of what’s going on, a lot of bitterness, some citrus hops, and some floral hops. There was a very mild malt flavor, but it was overshadowed by the hops and the booziness.

M – Good carbonation, which I wasn’t surprised about. Very medium in the body.

O – I never had this fresh, heck I wasn’t even into craft beer 6 years ago. So I have nothing to compare this to. I was impressed at how much of the hop flavor is still present in this beer and it hasn’t gone the path of a barleywine. All in all I am impressed, and for calling this a Wheat IPA (read from the Stone book that’s just been released) I see nothing wheaty about this.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

22 oz. bottle served in my Double Bastard specialty glass (mix between tulip and snifter)

A - Beautiful golden orange color with a very nice fluffy white head that dissipates to a thin layer, but leaves fine lacing on the glass.

S - Peach, apricot and both piney and floral hops. A little bit of sweet malt and orange zest followed up nicely by a little more citrus spice.

T - Piney hops with a touch of bitterness and quite a bit of sweet hop flavor. Surprising with more than a year and a half of age on this one. Impressive. A touch of alcohol with an interesting spicy sweetness. I really think this tastes like a mix between arrogant bastard and ruination, and that's not a bad thing.

M - Perfectly creamy and well carbonated. A nice balance of dry stickiness at the finish.

D - Overall impressions are that this beer has aged very gracefully. Anyone sitting on a bottle or two of this would be well advised to drink it right now, as it is significantly improved from the young version.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

A clear golden colour with a frothy white head. Not a lot of lacing, but instead a thin layer of foam clung to the inside of the glass. Pretty high carbonation with an full, steady flow of bubbles. Aroma was light, but has a slightly sweet malt and citrus fragrance. Higher ABV is noticeable right from the beginning of the first sip and contributes to an overall warming affect. Sweet malt flavour to start which is quickly replaced by a bitter grapefruit taste. Finsish was very bitter and dry, almost a little harsh, with a lingering aftertaste.

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Wasn't sure what to expect when i cracked this open, the bottle gives no real indications as to style, and traditional stone typography on the back is entertaining, but mostly just nonsense. Poured a lighter yellow than I had expected with plenty of active carbonation and a fantastic dense white head that lasted forever and stuck to the side of the glass. Nose was fruity with suggestions of grapes and citrus. Taste hits the palate not unlike an IPA really, lots of piny hop flavors shine through with slight melon and citrus flavors which can easily be detected. This beer starts off well but for me the finish is a bit of a disaster, the alcohol really can be felt/tasted after the swallow in a bad way. I'm not against alcohol flavors in me beer when executed well but for me this was just a little too much, At 7.8 percent this is a fairly strong beer but it comes off like something above 10 percent at least. As others have suggested, this is a really good start to a great beer, perhaps if aged the alcohol will mellow a but and it will show more malt character. I probably would't have this again.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.
September 2005.

Pours a very clear, golden, copper color. Very fluffy, bright white colored head. Excellent head retention. Tons of sticky lacing, coating all sides of the glass. Good citrusy, hop smell combined with an even amount of malts. Hints of pepper, yeast and a slight biscuity smell. Taste mimics the smell, lots of hops and malts, followed by pepper and finishes very bitter. Medium bodied, smooth but leaves a funky grainy feeling in the mouth and on the teeth. Overall, not a bad beer, but my least favorite from Stone, so far. Hopefully their 10th anniversary ale will be much better.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Picked this up on a business trip to Denver. It was the last bottle they had so I grabbed it. $3.99 for the bomber.

I wans't sure what to expect but knowing it wasn't a Belgian style offering from Stone, I knew it would at least be hoppy. The pour was decent. Bright orange-light amber color and slightly hazy with a very nice one finger head.

Smells of pine and grass. Very aromatic. Even a hint of alcohol aroma as well.

Taste was okay. I expected a little more malt backbone for such a big beer. It had a slight hoppy finish but not as much as expected. The overwhelming theme here was the alcohol. The beer is not huge but the flavor profile of the beer did little to mask the alcohol taste. Almost like a shot of vodka was dropped in the glass. Not one of my favorite qualities in a beer.

Mouthfeel was okay as well. Not as full bodied as I would have hoped. It was slightly slick on the tongue but the warming of the alcohol was too overwhelming.

Needless to say this one was not the most drinkable beer I have had. I had this one at the end of the night and it salted away any thought of having another beer before bed.

I am glad I was able to try it but I won't be seeking out another bottle of 9.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a snifter

A - One finger creamy eggshell head on a hazy orange / yellow body; looks like a belgian with whisps of carbonation and little visible sedement

S - Tangerines, sour pears, candy malts

T - Stark alcohol presence - vodka, candy / belgian malts, a touch of brown sugar and phenolic notes finishing

M - Creamy into a thin, carbonated bite

D - Whew, lots of alcohol present on this one; definitely a sipper. Aged well, paired this well with a robust cigar and good conversation.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours from the 22oz bomber a pale gold with fluffy white head.

Smell is lightly floral hops and a bit of a tangy-ish flavor, probably from the wheat.

The taste in my opinion, was a surprise based on the smell. The bitter and grapefruity hops kick you in the butt, even though I didn't really smell them that strong in the nose. The body is lighter than expected as well. Light malt and pungeant hops dominate this brew from start to finish.

As for being drinkable, yeah, I guess it's pretty drinkable. I am a hop-head, but this was almost too much of a one trick pony for me. I prefer complex hop interplay, but this seems very one-sided. It's still a great brew, just don't know how much of it I could handle.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.