Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
yelterdow

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served at just over fridge temperature in a nonic. 22 oz. bottle purchased from Cable Beverages, Bardonia, NY.

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy pale gold into my glass, a rough pour results in four full fingers of well constructed bubbles. After about 8 minutes, the head settles leaving behind webs of sticky lacing and a creamy, whipped topping.

Smell- Instantly, the first aroma that hit me was lemon poundcake. As that fades, big citrusy hops come forward, gradually getting deeper and more malty. The smallest notes of alcohol are buried deep in the beer, along with a gingerlike spiciness.

Taste- Holy crap... this is seriously gonna take some fortitude to get through all by myself...
...an almost syrupy sweet caramel maltiness concedes to a blast of hops, the fierce West Coast kind (aka Bigfoot), then stumbles across the mouth and tongue leaving a destructive path of hatred. This beer is the closest resemblance of the proverbial "bull in a china shop" that I've ever come across. It's messy and uneven, and leaves a burning bitterness that even I find unpleasurable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The thin, watery weight in the mouth simply doesn't carry the intense, aggressive bitterness here... frankly, it falls flat. I haven't struggled this hard with an open mind on a tasting in months, it's just next to impossible to get through.

04-21-2006 03:53:04 | More by yelterdow
mentor

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%

Obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed a couple nights later. Pours a three finger yellow-tan head over a crystal clear golden pee colored liquid. Smells mostly hoppy but with some sweet undertones. Hops are piney and oranges, with a hint of pith. The pith mixes well with some alcohol sting and is 'talked down' by fruity esters and malt sweet. Caramel? Perhaps a hint. Tastes hop bitter mixed with alcohol sting. The alcohol is fairly smooth, but some rough fusels are present. Malt sweet rides beneath, taunting the hops and keeping the beer honest. Esters are light and syrupy, like the mouthfeel. Pear and peach syrup. Gosh, the ending is rough and dry, like I just got a mouth full of dried hay. Orange oil hangs on my tongue and apricot rises up the back of my throat. I feel my face somewhat cringing at the persistent bitter. Really thick mouthfeel and moderately carbonated.

I was thinking Imperial IPA for this beer. Strong Ale? I think not. Wa-aay too hoppy. Almost DIPA-land. My ratings are to style, which makes this beer seem much worse than it really is.

This beer is really pretty and has an interesting smell. Taste...this beer needs time to settle the alcohol and hops. Honestly, there are many other beers I'd rather cellar, as I *know* they will develop well. This one, I don't know how much it can improve. I'm certainly going to try, but I'm not sure how many bombers I'll risk.

09-26-2005 07:05:16 | More by mentor
ElGordo

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -33%

Picked this up on a recent trip to the Cincinnati area. The year or so it spent sitting on a shelf in the light has not been kind, I'm sad to say. Pours a cloudy orange hue with a small flourish of creamy white head that strains to get up to a half-inch before sheepishly disappearing back into the body. Aroma is rough around the edges - grapefruity, piney hops blend with a funky Belgian-esque, brett type character that is not particularly pleasant. Palate is fully distracted by this same character, to the point of rendering it a bit of a chore to drink. The hop character is still there, but it is blunted significantly by the Belgian funkiness that I'm pretty sure wasn't there when this was fresh. Body is decent and creamy, at least providing a pleasant texture. I'm sad I didn't have a chance to try this when it was a serviceable and drinkable offering.

09-24-2006 04:57:12 | More by ElGordo
TheLongBeachBum

2.58/5  rDev -33%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

9th Anniversary Ale, September 2005 - Sampled at 1 Year Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th and 8th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the last few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: Top marks for the Catwalk looks, the off-white head is thick and crusty. High conditioning levels keep the head at least ½” throughout whilst leaving some clinging lacing that swirls in clotted patterns. The hazed orange body looks murky but the Marmalade frontage is nice enough.

Nose: Sharp, edgy, angulated and musty with a funky odor that reminds me of finding a three month old shriveled up Orange behind the Sofa. Shady yet pungent oily hesperidia are dominant and even repulsive at times.

Taste: Aggressive stance, like a swaggering drunk looking for any excuse for a fight, its hostile nature and “I want to fight you if you catch my stare” is hard to avoid. Incredibly astringent bitterness and sharp cutting hops are now distinctly way off balance…..the malts are sticky, the orange saturated hop oils are horrid. Heck this reminds me of Stoudt's DIPA, yeah it’s that bad.

Mouthfeel: Like that dive-bombing Bee around your head in the Summer, the bitter-orange astringency just will not go away…..not matter how hard I try to swat it…..that awful orange-bitterness runs rampant through this one. Euugrghhh.

Drinkability: I worked through it, but I think this is my last bottle of the 9th. Despite having a couple more left, I’m in no rush to try them, and I may just fob them off as Crimbo presents to people that I don’t like. If I can’t rid my self of my last bottles, I may very well have my first drain pour from Stone if I decide to stray into one in the future.

Overall: One Year and this still looks good, but much beyond that, nothing remains to keep a long term interest, or even hint at any “improvement” given time in its glass prison. It fades quickly, the nose is arid and unfriendly, and the tangy overtly pungent “orange sting” is very off-putting. It’s not “gone bad”, moreover it has just faded - the balance was never really there to start with IMVHO and now its sadly floundering like a Fat Elvis way past its best. This is not so much aging as just becoming annoyingly messy and a scattered collage of constituent elements.

By a mile, and several kilometres, the least favorite of the Stone Anniversaries to date for me, and I’ve tried them *all* from the 3rd up. I think Stone went in the wrong direction with this, and I’m glad to know that the 10th Anniversary DIPA is sat in my fridge right now, ready, willing and immensely able to get me back to my traditional hoppy Stone fix…..as well as getting Stone back to what they do best. The StoneWall is a truly great idea and highly commendable, the Stone folks are great people, and the Wall is the epitome of Stones heart felt passion for life and supporting all that is good - but the next StoneWall should be built at the top of the path that led down to the 9th, they really should not go back down this road. Chalk this one to experience, a bad experience.

08-25-2006 05:29:43 | More by TheLongBeachBum
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Bright golden-orange in color. Partial haze. Good carbonation allows the bubbles to organize a fluffy white head.

Smell: Sharply citrus notes yield to a dominating bitter aroma. There's some contrasting sweet fruitiness, but its got a somewhat sour twang to it.

Taste: Predominant floral hop bitterness shadowed by some sour, pear-like flavors. The already sparse malts are squashed by the astringent bitterness. Finish is initially dry, but warmth brings forth some displeasing medicinal qualities.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and sleek with a light oiliness.

Drinkability: Not overly so, as it was a bit hard to supress myself from grimacing at the end of each swallow. It takes three times as many muscles to frown as it does to smile. My face is definitely worn out by now. I'll admit I found last year's anniversary ale to be infinitely more appealing...

11-21-2005 05:44:17 | More by ChainGangGuy
IntriqKen

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

This is a hard review....why in the world Stone would choose a wheat based strong ale for their Anniverary Brew is beyond me, but here it goes...trying to review to type...American Strong Ale.
Poured a light reddish amber like an American Red/Amber ale...much lighter than I would expect.
Head is strong and a definate finger and a half that melts slowly to thick, thick lacing.
Aroma is predominately sweet malt with alcohol and a bit of bready yeast.
Taste is sweet malt with a bitter hop and medicinal alcohol aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is sort of thin for a strong ale, but still has plenty of carbonation and lots of alcohol burn.
Aftertaste is very VERY drying from the wheat and definately alcohol. The bitterness is not pleasant to me.
I don't want another...don't want to finish this one, so drinkability is poor.

05-07-2006 03:11:01 | More by IntriqKen
nrbw23

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

12-10-2013 05:08:21 | More by nrbw23
DESTRO

Nevada

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

this is a nice looking beer. pours out a cloudy sunset with a massive head. rocky and a tad sticky. smells of alcohol with a healthy dose of a doughy malt. some citrus as well but its just a back up. taste wise...is alot like the aroma. the malt is strong and very fruity, theres a def. hop presence that is a bit tart. has a touch of a staleness to it. tastes a bit funky. a little spice and lemon pop in and out but the main focus is the malt/hop battle. full bodied and filling. overall eh, i dont know. its ok. its looks good but after that its all downhill, just seems a bit "off" to me.

05-29-2006 04:53:20 | More by DESTRO
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Just around 6 months of age on this one. Pours a light hazy peachy color with a chunky 3 finger head that leaves incredible lace as it recedes. Nose is still dominated with earthyand lightly citrus hop aromas, sitting over a chunky caramel and almost apircot and raisin fruity sweetness. Flavor is not working for me. The alcohol is definately dominant in the flavor, really getting in the way of other flavors here. Behind it, there are earthy aged hop flavors that mix with light caramel and raisin, but not to form something that I am happy with. The flavor is not working for me. The finish is moderately bitter, but a little more harsh that I would like. Feel is moderate with a carbonation that is on the light end of moderate. This one is not holding up well with age. I'd have to say this one is past its prime, so either drink it now and cut your losses or hold in and see if it has a second coming.

02-22-2006 00:48:25 | More by kmpitz2
palliko

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance is a deep hazy gold with good lace. Aroma has lemon zest and a musty leather with some apricot. PLEASE look at my past reviews: I LOVE Stone Brewing Co.! I have bought their coasters and the Arrogant Bastard beer glasses. But this is a major faux pas!

WAY too bitter, and way too much like Guardian.

The initial taste is good, but goes down hill from there! Stone should have road tested this beer before releasing it!

Slightly sweet malt is overwhelmed with under carbonated bitters.

And too much alcohol!

Finish makes one want to find some better beer to kill the taste!

10-14-2005 04:17:01 | More by palliko
masikon

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Wasn't sure what to expect when i cracked this open, the bottle gives no real indications as to style, and traditional stone typography on the back is entertaining, but mostly just nonsense. Poured a lighter yellow than I had expected with plenty of active carbonation and a fantastic dense white head that lasted forever and stuck to the side of the glass. Nose was fruity with suggestions of grapes and citrus. Taste hits the palate not unlike an IPA really, lots of piny hop flavors shine through with slight melon and citrus flavors which can easily be detected. This beer starts off well but for me the finish is a bit of a disaster, the alcohol really can be felt/tasted after the swallow in a bad way. I'm not against alcohol flavors in me beer when executed well but for me this was just a little too much, At 7.8 percent this is a fairly strong beer but it comes off like something above 10 percent at least. As others have suggested, this is a really good start to a great beer, perhaps if aged the alcohol will mellow a but and it will show more malt character. I probably would't have this again.

12-31-2005 01:14:23 | More by masikon
Stubbie1

Connecticut

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

A deep honey colored brew with a light off white head on top. Aroma of orange, pine needles and spice play in. Flavor is a bitter twang from the hops and nothing else. A bitter dry aftertaste left behind and that is about it. Mouthfeel is ok; drinkability is well, a bit low as this brew really doesn’t have much going on, kind of one dimensional. There is something missing in this brew. Now, it reminds me of an IPA. It seems to be lacking any depth. Let’s see how this will age……Time will tell.

10-09-2005 23:18:37 | More by Stubbie1
brentk56

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color with a very nice head that leaves plenty of lacing - unfortunately, its all downhill from there

Smell: Apricot fruity aromas with a clear dollop of alcohol

Taste: Starts out aggressively in the mouth with a piney, resinous hop flavor overwhelming the fruitiness I was expecting from the aroma; after the swallow, the bitter and metallic piney hops literally explode in your mouth and challenge you to a duel - I give up!

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with plenty of carbonation; plenty of warmth after the swallow

Drinkability: This one is just not drinkable to me; I've had mixed experiences with Stone beers - they are all out there but this one is out of bounds as far as I am concerned; I would go so far as to compare this to an aggressively crafted malt liquor

06-20-2006 02:52:38 | More by brentk56
Jason

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

22 oz bomber with a 9th Annv. label denoting the year it was brewed in.

A- Deep mildly hazed golden orange glow, amazing head ... good retention.

S- Dusty white pepper, light citric, white pepper aroma. Big citric show. Orangina?

T&M- Medium body, creamy smooth. Suggestions of steamed grape leaves, boiled citric zest, white tea and a lingering aspirin bitterness. Heady alcohol throws gobs of fusel alcohol at the taste buds. Maltiness rolls out a light maltiness middle to end.

D- Just for shits and giggles I tried this brew again ... sorry, game over. This one just does nothing for me. I love Stone Brewing but they went too far with the god damn hops ... and you know what hops I am talking about. Better with age, and not so bad on tap. Beer geeks cheer because there is more left over for them.

05-29-2006 03:15:27 | More by Jason
Thrasher

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Somewhat unaware of the hoopla that surrounded the release of a new beer from Stone, I picked one up for no other reason than it was the first one that greeted my eye as I wandered through John's Market. I'm not a huge Stone fan -- they sort of seem like the Yankees of microbreweries -- but I'm always game for something new. Upon first impression, it's a mellower beer than I was expecting... is this a wheat beer? There's a nice wall of lace on the inside of the glass. It's got a sharp citric hop tweak, and some cutting bitterness, but it is short and over with quickly. There are some bready malts with peach and orange fruit flavors, Scottish shortbread, and what seems to me like a wheaty tang. There's also an underlying metallic quality that could be the sharp hops riding tandem with the excessive alcohol. I have to say, I don't see any way that the high alcohol helps this beer; it would taste much better without the "dead zone" that a high abv creates. There is almost a spoilt-Ringwood sour apple taste too... This is all too bad since my first impressions of the beer were totally favorable. The smell is still pretty good. And there's still a pleasant malt-and-hop interplay on the tongue before you take a wince-inducing swallow. But Jesus. This alcohol is too much. It makes the beer entirely unappealing.

09-01-2005 07:31:14 | More by Thrasher
TasteTester

12-17-2011 02:14:15 | More by TasteTester
BDeibs

01-14-2012 21:47:35 | More by BDeibs
jenray

09-19-2012 01:40:15 | More by jenray
KingSlender

22 oz bomber picked up at Bev Mo.

Glassware - Magic Hat Pint

Pours a light yellowish-orange...very similar to a pale ale. The head is bright white with a hearty thickness to it that clings nicely to the glass.

The nose has the typical Stone spice to it. I know I've smelt this before somewhere...hmmmm. Can't put my finger on what I'm picking up here but there's plenty of hops and the alchohol is not hidden well at all.

The taste is very different than what I was expecting. A very light mouthfeel, low on malt sweetness, a big hop bite, and a strong alchohol kick on the aftertaste. Almost like a Stone IPA mixed with Marin's seasonal Triple Wheat.

I honestly don't know what to think of this beer. It's not bad, but not that great either.

09-14-2005 04:55:53 | More by KingSlender
kmcnair

22 ounces in a bottle.

Pours a very middle of the road copper color, looks like an IPA, makes a fuffly cloud of head. American strong ale is such a vague category BJCP category, meh. Is this to style? sure, why the hell not.

Aroma is weird, like breakfast... seriously, this smells like fresh toasted bread or even pancakes hot off the griddle. There's some nutty character in there too. Light roasty caramel, subtle hints of citrus hops linger in the background, mostly subdued by toast.

Has an assertively sweet flavor all around, apricot & mandarin oranges, green raisin, nutty, but this was much better fresh... which is kind of a bummer because I didn't care for it too much fresh due to some powdery notes from excessive amarillo hops.

Medium bodied, leaves a sticky thick coating on the palate, finishes damp. Not really enjoying this...

IMHO, this doesn't age well at all, I have a couple bottles in the cellar... and I'm not excited about sampling them again.

02-27-2006 05:44:52 | More by kmcnair
dgallina

Georgia

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

1 pt, 6fl oz bottle labeled as september 2005 release.

Pours a sparkling and super-clear orange with quickly-subsiding white head that leaves a thin film and strong lace. Smells of syrupy grapefruit-like hops with touches of strawberry fruitiness. Taste is *really* unimpressive. Huge mouth-numbing powdered grapefruit and orange hops at the front, middle, and back of the tongue. No other flavors can complicate or pierce the broadside of hops. Abrasively rough and carbonated on the tongue; oily medium-thick body.

A poor showing from Stone. Appearance and aroma are somewhat promising, but flavor and mouth-feel are uninspiring, simplistic, and quickly tiresome.

03-03-2006 03:13:40 | More by dgallina
HopHead84

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

3.5-3.5-3.0-3.5-2.5

02/08/2011

On tap at Stone Winter Storm 2011.

A: Golden yellow with a frothy white head.

S: Sweet bready malt with candied notes. Evident oxidation with some raisin and date. Alcohol has a decent presence here.

T: Moderately sweet with a prominent bready malt profile. The sweetness has a candied flavor to it. There's a little date and raisin. No hop character to speak of. This has a lot of oxidation, which seems fine at first but it gravitates a bit too far in the direction of cardboard near the finish.

M: Medium body with lower moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and slightly syrupy.

Overall: Not one I'd drink again, but not a bad beer.

02-09-2011 03:49:11 | More by HopHead84
Beaver13

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

22 oz bottle date 9/05. Pours a yellow-orange with a big fluffy white head that lasts forever and laces the glass. The second pour from the bomber some yeast floaties.

The aroma is caramel malts with floral, grapefruity, piney hops. It's awesome at first (9), but as it warms it becomes more floral, peppery and medicinal.

The flavor is sweet malts followed by a large but rather subdued floral/grassy hop bitterness with notes of melon. As it warms, peppery medicinal alcohol comes out. The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety with a sticky bitterness.

Overall, it tastes like a decent mellow IPA. It reminds me some of Rogue's Brutal Bitter. As I go through the bomber, I like it less and less.

10-09-2005 06:12:31 | More by Beaver13
shbobdb

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Meh. Stone has been a hit-or-miss brewery for me. This beer falls within the near-miss catagory. I mean, it isn't bad, it just isn't good. It looks nice, like an old penny. It smells, well, like a beer -- malt, an assertive amount of hops, with a strong alcohol back.
The taste follows the smell, it tastes, well, like a beer. I mean that in the most generic way possible. I could had this to any BMC drinker, they'd have a sip and say, "Yup. It's a beer". I guess, there just isn't anything special about it. Mediocre through and through. Hops are present, but not really 'doing' anything. Malt is the same way, it's there, just not special or unique. It is also pretty overcarbonated.

If I wanted a beer like this, I would have gotten a nice clean lager. It would have done the job much better.

11-29-2005 23:30:42 | More by shbobdb
NJpadreFan

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Stone 9th anniversary Ale

Appearance- creamy nut brown with a decent creamy head.
Smell- alcohol, malt, and hops. In that order.
Taste- light smooth malt overpowered by alcohol. Strong grassy hops.

Overall- very bland very basic. Alcohol was too present. Won't buy again.

10-02-2005 13:12:34 | More by NJpadreFan
Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.