1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Ratings: 248 | Reviews: 218 | Show All Ratings:
becktone

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

I have been blessed two days in a row, yesterday I drank Delirium Nocturnum and today I am drinking Stone 9th. The beer looks extremely good as it sits in my glass. It pours a dark straw gold with a beautiful creamy white cascading head. Excellent lacing, color and head retention combine in this beer to give it a very appetizing appearance.

The nose of this beer speaks of floral hops. There is also a sweet malt presence detectable behind the forefront floral aroma. Would like a little more from the aroma its good but I think that something more complex could have been achieved. As the beer warms alcohol becomes more apparent.

The taste of this beer is unique. I really do like it. The first thing to hit my tongue is the hops, a boquet of floral tastes first hit my tongue and continue to linger into the aftertaste. What makes this beer interesting is that there is a very noticable sweet malt taste(caramel) that hits the front of the tongue after the inital floral hop taste. It lingers for a moment and nicely balances the previous and still present floral taste before quitely slipping away just as suddely as it appeared. Again I think something more complex could would benefit this brew. Alcohol is somewhat evident in the taste. I definitely prefer Arrogant Bastard over this when it comes to strong ales.

9th Anniversary is a medium bodied creamy beer in the mouth and feels real good. This is a beer I would definitely drink more of, however this is the only bottle I have and it being a limeted edition release that would not be possible. Its too bad really this is quite a good beer. I feel though that as I keep drinking this beer the hop taste that was somewhat aggressive to begin with is less and less aggressive with each sip. I think that the floral taste is easily wearing out my palate. Seems like with every sip it tastes different than the one before. I know that many beers flavor profiles change as the beer warms, however I have never had one change so much as this one. I think my palate is getting worn out from the hops. It makes it hard to determine the flavor profile of this beer. The high use of hops in this beer deteoriating my palate make this beer harder to drink than it should be. It feels like I am drinking a new beer each time I take a sip.

07-21-2006 21:28:18 | More by becktone
Terp96

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

Picked this up on a business trip to Denver. It was the last bottle they had so I grabbed it. $3.99 for the bomber.

I wans't sure what to expect but knowing it wasn't a Belgian style offering from Stone, I knew it would at least be hoppy. The pour was decent. Bright orange-light amber color and slightly hazy with a very nice one finger head.

Smells of pine and grass. Very aromatic. Even a hint of alcohol aroma as well.

Taste was okay. I expected a little more malt backbone for such a big beer. It had a slight hoppy finish but not as much as expected. The overwhelming theme here was the alcohol. The beer is not huge but the flavor profile of the beer did little to mask the alcohol taste. Almost like a shot of vodka was dropped in the glass. Not one of my favorite qualities in a beer.

Mouthfeel was okay as well. Not as full bodied as I would have hoped. It was slightly slick on the tongue but the warming of the alcohol was too overwhelming.

Needless to say this one was not the most drinkable beer I have had. I had this one at the end of the night and it salted away any thought of having another beer before bed.

I am glad I was able to try it but I won't be seeking out another bottle of 9.

07-09-2006 12:17:23 | More by Terp96
nortmand

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Orange amber with slight chill haze and a nice fluffy white head that leaves decent lace.

Fantastic lemon-orange intense citrus notes backed up by a nice caramel malt presence. Exceptional.

Sweet and bitter up front, melts into a smooth honey caramel midtongue. Leaves a hearty bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Smooth carbonation coats the tongue. Very drinkable despite it's status as a strong ale.

07-04-2006 20:40:44 | More by nortmand
brentk56

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color with a very nice head that leaves plenty of lacing - unfortunately, its all downhill from there

Smell: Apricot fruity aromas with a clear dollop of alcohol

Taste: Starts out aggressively in the mouth with a piney, resinous hop flavor overwhelming the fruitiness I was expecting from the aroma; after the swallow, the bitter and metallic piney hops literally explode in your mouth and challenge you to a duel - I give up!

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with plenty of carbonation; plenty of warmth after the swallow

Drinkability: This one is just not drinkable to me; I've had mixed experiences with Stone beers - they are all out there but this one is out of bounds as far as I am concerned; I would go so far as to compare this to an aggressively crafted malt liquor

06-20-2006 02:52:38 | More by brentk56
Orrshow

Alberta (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance – Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a slightly orange tinge. The head is generous and frothy.

Smell – Fairly heavy on the citrus aromas to begin. Oranges seem to stick out. There is a decent malty smell as well with hints towards alcohol. Bitter hops are present as expected.

Taste – This one is fairly robust. The citric flavors are quite large. Alcohol makes itself very present indeed. Strong bitter hop flavors are dominant as well. There is decent malt flavor as well with slight spicy hints. Not bad but it seems unbalanced as some flavors stick out heavily for short amounts of time as others take over.

Mouthfeel – Good here. Nice smooth carbonation with a fairly viscous body.

Drinkability – Well it’s not bad. I felt a few flavors really stood out a bit too hard. It wasn’t hard to drink but it wasn’t all that easy either.

A good beer which I am happy to have tried…but not something I’ll go looking for.

06-19-2006 05:40:31 | More by Orrshow
dauss

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Presentation: Standard 22oz silk screened bomber. On the back is a blurb that I can't understand, because because it uses many words that aren't used in the US or in the English language on a daily basis. With the help of a dictionary, I was able to understand it.

Appearance : A large white head sits atop a very cloudy golden beer. Head retention is a bit weak.

Smell: Definitely lots of hops, citrusy, with a caramely nose with hints of toffee. It sorta smells like a barley wine. In the background you can smell the 7.8% ABV that lurks within.

Taste: A medium body with a load of citrusy hop flavors with a yeast nuttiness and a long lasting and strong bitterness in the finish.. It has this creamyness about it. The overall malt base is plain, and is hard to describe. Many of the beers I've had was easy to describe, but this one is has many things going on, and hard to pin point all the subtle flavors. Its like a wheat IPA.

Notes: Loaded with hoppy goodness, though as for the style of the beer, I'm not sure what to think. With all that alcohol and hops it should be like an IPA, yet its not. Its not quite an old ale either. This one is just a mystery to me.

06-16-2006 03:40:42 | More by dauss
budsboy

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Clear and golden with a fist-sized mound of white foam.

Smells like a Stone brew. Piney, citrusy hops and citrus fruit, but a more mellow, dark fruit laying low.

Hoppy flavor from the start. Some puckering lemon/acidic flavors, then finishing with a punch of alcohol and acrid bitterness. Interesting enough, and if you love Ruination, as I do, you'll like this one.

Thinner than I expected, but still smooth and nearly creamy.

I was hoping for this one to lean more toward Stone's Old Gaurdian than Ruination, but there it is. It's hoppy and good and I'll get some more to cellar, but it's just fine and dandy as it is right now.

06-11-2006 01:14:35 | More by budsboy
burnstar

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Stone's huge version of their Heat Seeking Wheat from a few years back. Out of a big 25 oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a huge thick persitant head. Very nice hoppy aroma- spicy and citrusy hop smells dominate. Definitely some fruity (bananas/raisins) estery aromas become very noticable as the brew warms. Taste is big citrusy hops upfront. From there it's all wheat with some banana undertones and it finishes very dry. Different but I like it Medium mouthfeel and pretty drinkable. Leave it to Stone to come up with a really crazy wheat beer. Nice experimental beer.

06-10-2006 02:07:17 | More by burnstar
BigDaddyWil

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.
September 2005.

Pours a very clear, golden, copper color. Very fluffy, bright white colored head. Excellent head retention. Tons of sticky lacing, coating all sides of the glass. Good citrusy, hop smell combined with an even amount of malts. Hints of pepper, yeast and a slight biscuity smell. Taste mimics the smell, lots of hops and malts, followed by pepper and finishes very bitter. Medium bodied, smooth but leaves a funky grainy feeling in the mouth and on the teeth. Overall, not a bad beer, but my least favorite from Stone, so far. Hopefully their 10th anniversary ale will be much better.

05-30-2006 22:48:55 | More by BigDaddyWil
DESTRO

Nevada

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

this is a nice looking beer. pours out a cloudy sunset with a massive head. rocky and a tad sticky. smells of alcohol with a healthy dose of a doughy malt. some citrus as well but its just a back up. taste wise...is alot like the aroma. the malt is strong and very fruity, theres a def. hop presence that is a bit tart. has a touch of a staleness to it. tastes a bit funky. a little spice and lemon pop in and out but the main focus is the malt/hop battle. full bodied and filling. overall eh, i dont know. its ok. its looks good but after that its all downhill, just seems a bit "off" to me.

05-29-2006 04:53:20 | More by DESTRO
Jason

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

22 oz bomber with a 9th Annv. label denoting the year it was brewed in.

A- Deep mildly hazed golden orange glow, amazing head ... good retention.

S- Dusty white pepper, light citric, white pepper aroma. Big citric show. Orangina?

T&M- Medium body, creamy smooth. Suggestions of steamed grape leaves, boiled citric zest, white tea and a lingering aspirin bitterness. Heady alcohol throws gobs of fusel alcohol at the taste buds. Maltiness rolls out a light maltiness middle to end.

D- Just for shits and giggles I tried this brew again ... sorry, game over. This one just does nothing for me. I love Stone Brewing but they went too far with the god damn hops ... and you know what hops I am talking about. Better with age, and not so bad on tap. Beer geeks cheer because there is more left over for them.

05-29-2006 03:15:27 | More by Jason
waldowin

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

From a bottle labeled September 2005.

Pours a clear honey color, with an extremely dense, sticky white head almost an inch thick. Good lacing, visible carbonation.

Smells very strongly of bananas and lemongrass. Slightly sweet, not too complex.

Tastes of bananas, mandarin oranges, pears, and grapefruits, with a hint of cloves in the finish. Crisp, tasty, thoroughly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, thanks to the brisk carbonation and hops.

Tasty stuff! Be nice to see where it's at in a year.

05-28-2006 06:55:54 | More by waldowin
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

A - rich copper color, with a full finger of antique white head that doesn't quit right away, moderate carbonation

S - strong pine-hoppy IPA type smell, that overpowers all other aspects of the bouquet

T - I drank this before i looked it up here on BA, it doesnt say the style on the bottle, I could've sworn this was an IPA, tons of hoppiness with a slight milky sweetness in the background

M - bitter, but a smooth down brew

D - high if you like bitterness in your beer, otherwise moderate

05-20-2006 12:47:11 | More by sinstaineddemon
mattcrill

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Aroma: Flowery citrus hops, orange, a definite carmel sweetness. Very West Coast hop and IPA-like.

Appearance: Pours a clear orange with yellow edging. A densely carbonated white head and little floaties in the bottom.

Flavor: Pine, peppery, candied oranges, some malt sweetness accentuated with a firm hop punch.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and prickly. Just a touch oily on the finish.

Overall impression: Very enjoyable and drinkable. Definitely slanted towards the hop end of the spectrum but very easy and not palate fatiguing. Maybe a year plus has helped settle this a bit. Definitely recommended.

05-14-2006 13:50:17 | More by mattcrill
IntriqKen

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

This is a hard review....why in the world Stone would choose a wheat based strong ale for their Anniverary Brew is beyond me, but here it goes...trying to review to type...American Strong Ale.
Poured a light reddish amber like an American Red/Amber ale...much lighter than I would expect.
Head is strong and a definate finger and a half that melts slowly to thick, thick lacing.
Aroma is predominately sweet malt with alcohol and a bit of bready yeast.
Taste is sweet malt with a bitter hop and medicinal alcohol aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is sort of thin for a strong ale, but still has plenty of carbonation and lots of alcohol burn.
Aftertaste is very VERY drying from the wheat and definately alcohol. The bitterness is not pleasant to me.
I don't want another...don't want to finish this one, so drinkability is poor.

05-07-2006 03:11:01 | More by IntriqKen
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz brown bomber bottle.

Pours a light amber color, good head, attractive. Aroma is hoppy, citrus, bold. Flavor is a good balance of malt sweetness and hops with a nice finish. Bit of alcohol as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and not too carbonated. Very drinkable considering the decent strength with well balanced flavors.

05-07-2006 00:55:30 | More by AaronHomoya
karengarys

Indiana

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

This pours very slightly hazy amber, leaving very light bubbles - few stick to the glass.

Smell is sweet, hoppy, and dark sweet. Somewhat fruity. Dark fruit. (which I love)

Taste is not of alcohol, which is a good thing. Somewhat fruity, but I'm picking up a little too much hop or something that may even be oxidization. DARN! I'll have to get another and try it to compair and confirm. I'll update the review when I try it again.

Update, 5/16/2006: The ickey taste is still there, but nowhere near what I experienced before. The fruityness is like mandarin orange or mango, something dark. I am bumping up the taste from 3.5 to 4 because the re-tasting shows it is worth 4.

Update 8/24/06 - that ickey taste. It is there. I've got to bring the taste back to a 3.5 because of it.

Mouthfeel isn't that bad, somewhat creamy.

This brew has some body.

Finish is a bit bitter.

I'll give this another try, and update this review as necessary.

5/16/2006: this is worth a try. yes, it does have a tad bit of bitter edge I don't think should be there, but it is sweet, balanced, and hides the alcohol VERY well unlike many American brews. Give it a try.

05-05-2006 00:11:26 | More by karengarys
mochunk

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bomber into pint glass. 9th Anniversary Ale, September 2005.

Copper orange with arid off white head, good to great lacing.

heavily floral hops greet the nose. slight hints of cloves and barley.

First sip is medium in feel and flows down the throat clean, not quite oily, not quite dry. Tastes of the floral hops, some citrus seems to want to make an appearance but can't quite get through. Spicy clove with a slightly malty barley finish. The hops dance on the palate long after, and there is a bit of a phenol bite, warming all the way down. This almost reminds me a spicier slightly hopped but low abv barleywine. Theres more going on here than I have the vocabulary to describe. Oh@! I got it. Butterscotch. Ok, so I read some other reviews to see if anyone described what I couldn't, and that's what it was. Definite butterscotch note permeates throughout. I'd like to try one cellared another 6 months so it's a year old. I can probably get more so maybe I'll try that.

This is a complex enough brew to please just about anyone yet is quite drinkable. Surely worthy of celebratory anniversary, good on ya Stone. Here's to 10 more.

Besides, how can you not like a brew that uses "antidisestablishmentarianism" in it's labeled description?!

05-02-2006 02:42:42 | More by mochunk
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

i have been holding onto this for awhile so i can't remember where i got it. oh well, that won't influence my tasting

the head is very tight and creamy. it's big and poofy, leaves good lacing on the way down. clear light amber. hop aromas fill my small-ass apartment: citrus, pine and some floral elements. some sweet caramel sweetness pokes through as well

moderate bitterness follows a brief a toffee/butterscotch flavor that i recognize from old guardian '05. it's tasty, but doesn't hold a candle to hibernation or nosferatu

05-01-2006 04:04:19 | More by bruachan
yelterdow

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served at just over fridge temperature in a nonic. 22 oz. bottle purchased from Cable Beverages, Bardonia, NY.

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy pale gold into my glass, a rough pour results in four full fingers of well constructed bubbles. After about 8 minutes, the head settles leaving behind webs of sticky lacing and a creamy, whipped topping.

Smell- Instantly, the first aroma that hit me was lemon poundcake. As that fades, big citrusy hops come forward, gradually getting deeper and more malty. The smallest notes of alcohol are buried deep in the beer, along with a gingerlike spiciness.

Taste- Holy crap... this is seriously gonna take some fortitude to get through all by myself...
...an almost syrupy sweet caramel maltiness concedes to a blast of hops, the fierce West Coast kind (aka Bigfoot), then stumbles across the mouth and tongue leaving a destructive path of hatred. This beer is the closest resemblance of the proverbial "bull in a china shop" that I've ever come across. It's messy and uneven, and leaves a burning bitterness that even I find unpleasurable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The thin, watery weight in the mouth simply doesn't carry the intense, aggressive bitterness here... frankly, it falls flat. I haven't struggled this hard with an open mind on a tasting in months, it's just next to impossible to get through.

04-21-2006 03:53:04 | More by yelterdow
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a huge pure white creamy and foamy head with good lacing and retention. Aroma of citrus hops is quite dominant but also enjoyable. Taste is quite different from other beers I’ve tasted before and can be describe like a wheat Indian ale. Dominant citrusy hops over a light wheat base beer. Very interesting concept that could have been even more interesting if the beer had been less dominant on hops.

04-18-2006 14:29:03 | More by Phyl21ca
blitheringidiot

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Painted bottle loaded with pablum nonsense.

Pours out with an inocuous straw hue loaded up with floaty sea monkey scrod floaters leading up to a quickly settled craggy off white head leaving spotty lace in the glass.

Light cnady like scents of Spree candy.

First swigs: Signature house flavors of Stone are the first impression. Ther is a solid wheat-wine characteristic here that really holds down the fort. Some vanilla ice cream aspects and a bit of cream soda. A bit oily in the end.

Medium bodied and tacky with the residual sugar. The yeast mustv'e had a feild day eatin' up this. Wow! Soft restrained carbonation. Fluffy slick feel. Too bad I only have one bottle 'cos I could go for another. Maybe I'll trade for another.

Last swigs: This really doesn't fall into a category properly, so the American Strong Ale is correct. If I had to choose a specific category, I'd say wheat wine. Reminds me a tad of Allagash Curieux.

Beer is good. Happy wheat beering.

04-17-2006 03:04:03 | More by blitheringidiot
jhammerly

Nebraska

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I poured this special elixir into my Arrogant Bastard glass from a 22 oz. bomber.Deep golden liquid filled the glass about half way, then an off-white head shot up the rest and retained its composure for a little while. A light citrusy aroma hit my senses as I stuck my nose to the edge of the glass. I attempted to take a sip while waiting out the head to settle down and as I got a little bit of nectar...I let out a big sneeze (hoppy beers always make me sneeze). I knew that this was going to be an experience. The beer wasn't as hoppy as I anticipated, but it was still bitter to the end. There wasn't much lingering afterwards either. A very nice balance of malt and hops. Mouthfeel is sort of medium, kind of chewy, but very drinkable despite its 7.8% alcohol. Hopefully I can get my hands on their tenth anniversary release.

04-16-2006 02:52:48 | More by jhammerly
cubedbee

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

22 oz bomber from Sept '05, poured into a tulip, a gorgeous glowing golden amber with three fingers off dense off-white head and some pretty nice retention. Smell is fairly big and spicy citrus hops over a nice doughy malt. Taste hits you with hops right away, citrus and grapefruit, gives a hint of a solid biscuity malt in the background and then blasts you with a spicey, bitter, and slightly alcoholic finish. Medium/full bodied with a smooth slightly slick mouthfeel. Overall, this is a nice anniversary ale, but nothing really jumps out about it to make it stand out from the regulars.

04-15-2006 18:10:14 | More by cubedbee
orsulacp

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

It looks good and smells good but it doesn't taste or sit in the mouth as well. It pours a cloudy yellow-orange with some sediment floating around beneath a small white head. The smell is dominated by the piney oily hops, I can feel the oils in my nose after a deep inhale. The taste is a little peppery and then a good bitter kick. The body is oily and it leaves a chalky residue on my teeth. I am a bit bummed from this beer; I thought it would be better. I just didn't like the chalky aftertaste, it really turned me off from this beer.

04-13-2006 03:57:19 | More by orsulacp
Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.