Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Time to bust this one out. Released September 2005.

Pours a dirty golden color with a creamy, long-lasting head. Active bubbles. Lots of lace. Looks great.

Caramel and candy sugar greet the nose first, followed by a kind of medicinal, menthol heat, most likely from the high-ish alcohol %. And the hops? Yep, they're dying to whip your tastebuds into shape.

Sweet candy-like flavors--caramel, peach, pear, peppermint, butterscotch, molasses--mixed with hot spices, sizzling hops and sharp herbs. A unique flavor that seems to have a lot going on, and somewhat hard to pin down. Tastes a little different each sip.

Like all Stone stuff, the mouthfeel is superb, this one being hefty, buttery, tingly...just right.

Overall it has a kind of Frankenstein-ish feel, seems to be a little bit of everything: sweet and spicy like a tripel, syrupy like a barleywine, hella-hoppy like a Double IPA, and as dangerously drinkable as a good lager. My hat's off to Stone. Again.

Metalmonk, Jan 30, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer was sampled and reviewed in March 2006. 22 oz bottle.

This beer poured a hazy, peach color with tall, creamy, off-white foam that persists a while and clung a bit as it settled. The smell was fruity and malty. A very nice aroma. The taste was hoppy with flavors of mangoes and slightly astringent "aspirin" from the hops (Amarillo). There was a good, balanced malty backbone behind the hops. There was a pleasant bitterness coupled with a fruity tanginess. The mouthfeel was smooth and dry with medium body and good carbonation. The finish and aftertaste had lightly sweet malt and tangy, fruity hops lingering. This was quite an enjoyable beer! Among my favorites from Stone.

UncleJimbo, Jan 12, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Nice carbonation, this beer was in a hurry to get out of the bottle. Pours a cloudy orange peach color with a creamy light tan head.

S: Butterscotch candy, vanilla, tangerine and with floral notes.

T: Begins buttery with orange marmalade sweetness. Hints of lemon juice and minor grapefruit along with the orange add a mellow floral-like citrus personality. Continues on with more butterscotch and very caramely. There is some bitterness tingling the tip of the tongue but not nearly as much as I remember. Finishes sweet and spicy with a low level lingering dirty bitterness.

M: Medium body with a full mouthfeel. Only a touch of prickly carbonation.

D: With only a year under its belt, this beer is turning out really nicely. This one has at least two more good years before it will start going down hill.

Westsidethreat, Dec 30, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +12%

I finally found some of this beer. I had been searching for awhile. Read the BeerSpy report to find out where you might be able to get some. Anyways I poured a bomber of this into a snifter. It pours a cloud deep golden, light orange color with a very nice white, frothy head that was over an inch thick upon being poured. Head was about 1/3 of an inch thick upon settling. Good retention and very nice lacing. Aromas of malt, caramel and some floral hops are present along with some fruit, such as some orange, grapefruit or lemon. The taste is mildly sweet up front with hints of malt and caramel, followed by some spice, hops, and a touch of the aforementioned fruit. The hop bitterness certainly becomes more apparent as the beer warms. Has a sort of dry and bitter aftertaste. Has a smooth, frothy, and creamy mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Pretty easy to drink in the manner that craft beer should be. Another winner from Stone!

4/13/08 app-4 smell-4 taste-4.5 mf-4.5 'ability-4.5

I also drank this again on 4/13/08. Split a bomber I had sitting in my cellar with a friend because I decided it was time to crack this baby open! Poured into my pint glass. This beer is a cloudy, light brown, golden color. Nice white head is a good 1/2 inch when poured and settles to a decent white surface layer lining the inside of the glass. Definitely has a citrus hop aroma and some caramel malt as well. The citrus hops are certainly present upfront tastewise followed by some sweet malt caramel notes. I was certainly pleasantly surprised how apparent the hops presence still was after this had been aging in my cellar for 14 months and 2 1/2 years since it was originally released. I can only imagine how hoppy this beer must have been when it was fresh. The hops certainly linger in the aftertaste. Has a crisp and frothy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink

Eric

neenerzig, Dec 12, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a bright, clear, light orange color with a nice looking head.

Beers smells slightly dusty and sweet. Aromas are pretty faint.

Flavors are surprising subtle to me, but still quite tasty. Crisp, dry and a tad spicy up front, finishes creamy with a little bitter hop bite right at the end.

Mouthfeel is good on this one... long finish, and nicely carbonated.

This is a beer that is slightly different than other Stone Brews I have tried... It's not going to kick you upside the mouth like a lot of Stone brews do. I would have liked to have tried it fresh just to compare. But it is an enjoyable beer to drink right now.

flexabull, Dec 09, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Been aging this a bit, think it was worth it.

Into a pint glass, pours a deep orange, pour activating a swirl of bubbling activity just below the head, levelling off with a one inch head. A lovely head, off-white, fluffy and creamy, that collapses unevenly here and there till there is a good firm film left, with large splotches of lacing left high on the glass, and whole loads of it as I drain the glass. Aroma is actually kind of tame, some sweet fruitiness and floral hops, bubblegum, but really, this is a Stone.. wheres the magical whif I'm looking for?

Taste is an amalgamation of all good things in beer, sweet sugary caramel like pale malts, held in check by an almost coy hop profile, like it KNOWs its a Stone, but sits back and snickers, sends out some bitterness, some lovely floral spicy hopness, oils, but you get the sense that it could be more potent, arrogant even, but instead sits back and tell you what a fine beer it is, but still manages to be a little menacing.

Mouth is quite nice, full and lively, and quite warm from a noticable alcohol presence, warm through the finish. Overall, definitely worth the year, ages well, have read the reviews from the beginning and seems like it came our raw. Age it a year, and you have yourself a scrumptios beer.

objectivemonkey, Dec 05, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Bright gold color, with a big fluffy off white head. very odd for a ASA.

S - piney grapefruit hops, dominate the nose. Mellowed to incorporate a nice malt background. Maybe some pear or some brown sugar in there as well. Real citrusy

T - Mellow hops start out but then turn into a nice mellow hoppy caramelish flavor. Ends on a real spicy paperish note.

M - smooth and light. there is no alcohol burn, but it warms in the end.

D - Very drinkable. Aged rather nicely.

quasimoto, Nov 15, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a hazy light tangerine color with a good amount of frothy, white head. Spectacular pour and head retention.

The nose was strong with roasted malts and grapefuit.

It tasted similar to the nose, very roasted with heavy malts and hops. Quite a refreshing beer for a full bodied strong ale with very like alcohol detected. In my opinion, it tasted more like a DIPA.

I enjoyed this beer, keep up the fantastic work, Stone...

beachbum1975, Nov 14, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

Golden hue with a pure white thin head that holds surprisingly well. Thin random spots of lace.

Nose is floral and fruity hops. A lot more hops than I expected a year and two months after release. Bubblegum and maybe some peaches sneaking into this aroma. The wheat is there but hidden by tons and tons of hops.

Is this Stone 9th or Gumballhead? Wheaty with TONS of hops. Is Stone sure this one is only 50 IBUs? Lots of fruit and floral hops rocking the mouth and palate. It finishes dry (hoppy) and spicy (maybe from the wheat?). Gorgeous beer.

Many thanks to Mschae1017 for sharing a bomber of this bad boy. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

timtheenchanta, Nov 13, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +1%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 22oz bomber.

This beer pours a cloudy golden with a fluffy white head that holds nicely and leaves a good bit of lace. The smell is tons of sweet malts with a nice hop aroma to complement it. The taste is up front with sweetness from lightly kilned malts along with a flavorful but rather subtle hop profile. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with some residual stickiness and even carbonation. Overall, its a good beer but Stone has doen better.

MSchae1017, Nov 13, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer emerged from the dedicated beer fridge and then from the bottle and into my pint where its lovely orange honey colour has lit up the room. It has a sticky tannish head that holds on like a champ before casting off clinging chunks to the sides of my vessel. It is nicely carbonated with both plump and high speed bubbles and some smaller and more relaxed springs of tiny ones.

The nose is bizzarrely lemon tinged to my whiffing. It has the charactertic uber sweet sugary malt crustiness as well. It has "that roughness" to it as expected. Only slightly dirty.

The taste is so much more delightful than I was expecting. Usually this style leaves me gritting sticky teeth and fetching for my insulin, but I think I may actually be able to deal with this. It is sweet and a bit lemony which is still throwing me. It has a fair degree of bitterness with a sort of leafy hop character. It dries out in the end which may be amplified by the alcoholic presence. Overall the malt sweetness is pronounced, but not cloying at all. I am assuming this lemon flavour is a mixture of the malt and the citrus properties of the hop oils. I am really at a loss. It reminds me of a dessert that mom used to make. Weird but alright somehow. Call me mad.

Mouthfeel is at the fat end of medium. Somehow Stone brews always seem to be magically more light and flitty than you would expect even with brutally powerful mixtures. I love this about the way they brew. Everything just feels so fresh and clean.

Drinkability is good. I am actually dropping this stuff down the shoot faster than I thought I could and faster than I know I should. I am truly shocked and delighted. This style as well as old ales are typically too sugary for me, but this baby is alright with me. I am glad I held onto this. I am glad it is still good. Now I have to wonder what was it like brand new. Oh the torure. It's good now, so I guess I will forget about it and be happy. Done.

SupaCelt, Nov 05, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance- Great light amber, more like morning honey hue. Great, small bubbles come forth with a steady pace amidst some very light suspension. Great two finger head after pour with a strong film throughout.

Smell- Aroma of spring with some holly hop, hopping. A little sweet but overall a slight piney hop aroma.

Taste- Makes me think of hops and honey. Mostly hops though. A light heavy hop bitterness with some caramel, honey sweet malts mixed with this pungent hop juice. A springy brew for almost wintertime. Fresh tasting hops for a beer thats a year old.

Mouthfeel- A little drying but still great with the slightly coating hop syrup. More like a hop honey.

This beer is more of an American Double IPA than an America Strong ale in my opinion.

scruffwhor, Nov 01, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +25.8%

Huge off-white/orange fluffy and rocky head. Good retention and lace. Translucent orange copper body. Low carbonation.
Smell of strong harsh malt and honey, grass and hops.
Very sweet and hoppy, well balanced. Grass, floral flavors, honey and some caramel, not much change in the aftertaste which is long and pleasant.
Moderate full body and good coating, rough feel yet slick.
Highly drinkable. I could not put it down. So good and satisfying.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Oct 22, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Its been in the bottle a year now and today seemed like a good day to try it again and review it. Pours cloudy dark peach, light tan fine head, with good retention, leaving ungodly amounts of fine sheeting. Nose is of sweet, fruity, spicy goodness. Tasty, fruity, yeasty, spicy brew, with a year in the bottle, its now soft, rounded and complex. the spice is still there and there is pleanty of intrigue and interest. Bold and favorful with notes of lime, perfume, gin and pepper. I'm a big Stone fan so it's hard not to use all the usual superlatives, but this is some tasty beer! Seems a year in the bottle has done this one well, the complexity and subtleness is better then I recall 6 or 9 months ago.

Billolick, Oct 02, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -32.8%

Picked this up on a recent trip to the Cincinnati area. The year or so it spent sitting on a shelf in the light has not been kind, I'm sad to say. Pours a cloudy orange hue with a small flourish of creamy white head that strains to get up to a half-inch before sheepishly disappearing back into the body. Aroma is rough around the edges - grapefruity, piney hops blend with a funky Belgian-esque, brett type character that is not particularly pleasant. Palate is fully distracted by this same character, to the point of rendering it a bit of a chore to drink. The hop character is still there, but it is blunted significantly by the Belgian funkiness that I'm pretty sure wasn't there when this was fresh. Body is decent and creamy, at least providing a pleasant texture. I'm sad I didn't have a chance to try this when it was a serviceable and drinkable offering.

ElGordo, Sep 24, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

9th Anniversary Ale, September 2005 - Sampled at 1 Year Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th and 8th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the last few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: Top marks for the Catwalk looks, the off-white head is thick and crusty. High conditioning levels keep the head at least ½” throughout whilst leaving some clinging lacing that swirls in clotted patterns. The hazed orange body looks murky but the Marmalade frontage is nice enough.

Nose: Sharp, edgy, angulated and musty with a funky odor that reminds me of finding a three month old shriveled up Orange behind the Sofa. Shady yet pungent oily hesperidia are dominant and even repulsive at times.

Taste: Aggressive stance, like a swaggering drunk looking for any excuse for a fight, its hostile nature and “I want to fight you if you catch my stare” is hard to avoid. Incredibly astringent bitterness and sharp cutting hops are now distinctly way off balance…..the malts are sticky, the orange saturated hop oils are horrid. Heck this reminds me of Stoudt's DIPA, yeah it’s that bad.

Mouthfeel: Like that dive-bombing Bee around your head in the Summer, the bitter-orange astringency just will not go away…..not matter how hard I try to swat it…..that awful orange-bitterness runs rampant through this one. Euugrghhh.

Drinkability: I worked through it, but I think this is my last bottle of the 9th. Despite having a couple more left, I’m in no rush to try them, and I may just fob them off as Crimbo presents to people that I don’t like. If I can’t rid my self of my last bottles, I may very well have my first drain pour from Stone if I decide to stray into one in the future.

Overall: One Year and this still looks good, but much beyond that, nothing remains to keep a long term interest, or even hint at any “improvement” given time in its glass prison. It fades quickly, the nose is arid and unfriendly, and the tangy overtly pungent “orange sting” is very off-putting. It’s not “gone bad”, moreover it has just faded - the balance was never really there to start with IMVHO and now its sadly floundering like a Fat Elvis way past its best. This is not so much aging as just becoming annoyingly messy and a scattered collage of constituent elements.

By a mile, and several kilometres, the least favorite of the Stone Anniversaries to date for me, and I’ve tried them *all* from the 3rd up. I think Stone went in the wrong direction with this, and I’m glad to know that the 10th Anniversary DIPA is sat in my fridge right now, ready, willing and immensely able to get me back to my traditional hoppy Stone fix…..as well as getting Stone back to what they do best. The StoneWall is a truly great idea and highly commendable, the Stone folks are great people, and the Wall is the epitome of Stones heart felt passion for life and supporting all that is good - but the next StoneWall should be built at the top of the path that led down to the 9th, they really should not go back down this road. Chalk this one to experience, a bad experience.

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 25, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color with about an inch of white head that leaves nice lacing behind.

Aroma is a nice mix of citrusy hops and caramel malts. Transitions nicely between the two.

Flavor is along the same lines as the scent. Spicy hit up front from the hops with a sweet caramel taste in the middle. Lasting hop bite and bitterness on the back of the tongue. Not sure where it is coming from (I no longer smoke) but I get a faint tobacco flavor also.

Medium body with average carbonation.

I only picked up one bomber of this during my travels but I don't think I would grab one over something else I like if I see it again. That tobacco flavor is getting stronger in the aftertaste. Am I the only one who noticed this?

Imstillthegman, Aug 10, 2006

9th anniversary produced a strong citrus and hop nose. The color was really fascinating, as it appeared a somewhat vibrant shade of orange. There was a subtle, but smooth and pretty head with visible specks of sediment in the beverage itself. Citrus remained strong in the flavor, but there was still that characteristic Stone hop punch. There were many buttery, candy-like flavors as well, some of which I couldn’t quite put my finger on but were intriguing nonetheless. Mouthfeel was also buttery and quite pleasing. Good stuff, Stone.

BabaJohn, Aug 06, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

9/2/2005 $6.19 22 oz. 7.80% September 2005 emblazoned on the front.

Appearance:

Pours a pale brown-gold, with roughly an inch of creamy white head that has some lasting power. Nice lacing upon settling.

Aroma:

Stone is known for their intense aromas, and this one doesn't fail to disappoint: smells like freshly juiced grapefruit, and pine essence, with a touch of fresh bread.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Fairly one dimensional at first, with mind numbing, palate killing intense hop (amarillo) bitterness. There is some sweetness towards the end, which is followed by a warming alcohol presence. Finish is long and dry, and not entirely pleasant. This is the same style as their famous Arrogant Bastard (the only Stone I don't like), and while this doesn't have the flavor of AB, I still don't like.

cbl2, Aug 01, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance- ½” just off white head, head has good retention and the lacing is about ¼” thick and sticks to side of glass. Golden orange color and is a bit cloudy. Lots of carbonation (when poured 2nd glass I poured it a bit to hard and got head of about ¾ of the glass, it was a really rough pour though)

Smell- Hops and a bit of orangey smell. Has a malt background. Seems like a mix between citrusy and floral hops.

Taste-Hoppy up front. Can taste the different levels of alcohol on back and mid tongue. A medium bitter aftertaste. Has a nice bitter bite at front of tongue. Fruity flavors which I think is orangey. Was also sweetish like the same kind of sweet you get from a sweet orange.

Mouthfeel- big body, medium carbonation, with a heavy feel to it.

Drinkability- I like it! First beer I like when I can taste alcohol in it, since it doesn’t give that warming feeling in back of throat to much. Nice complex beer that seems to be easier to pick apart the flavors.

BlindPig, Jul 24, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

September 2005 batch. Poured with good head, soapy foam, dense orange in colour. Mouthfeel hits first as smooth water undertone then amarillos take over leaving a coarse and chalky finish. Aroma dominated mostly by the Amarillos. A good finish. Fairly light and unagressive. Crisp and warming. This sample has had some time to sit and it has settled quite nicely into what I would consider a great 'social pint' ... (though you might wanna watch it at nearly 8%)! Ultimately, I couldn't find much to say but plenty enough to enjoy. Thanks Grub for the pleasent surprise!

biegaman, Jul 23, 2006

pours a pale yellow colour with a thick white head. the head falls fairly quick, but leaves tons of thick lace behind.

aroma is very hoppy. rich and floral. citrusy, but more orange than grapefruit.

taste is good. it's nice and hoppy. floral and orangey citrus. nice finish of hop bitterness. just a hint of pine comes through in the finish.

mouthfeel is good. not too big and fairly nice.

drinkability is high on it. it's a fairly light and easy drink, but i found it a little one-dimensional.

grub, Jul 23, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

I have been blessed two days in a row, yesterday I drank Delirium Nocturnum and today I am drinking Stone 9th. The beer looks extremely good as it sits in my glass. It pours a dark straw gold with a beautiful creamy white cascading head. Excellent lacing, color and head retention combine in this beer to give it a very appetizing appearance.

The nose of this beer speaks of floral hops. There is also a sweet malt presence detectable behind the forefront floral aroma. Would like a little more from the aroma its good but I think that something more complex could have been achieved. As the beer warms alcohol becomes more apparent.

The taste of this beer is unique. I really do like it. The first thing to hit my tongue is the hops, a boquet of floral tastes first hit my tongue and continue to linger into the aftertaste. What makes this beer interesting is that there is a very noticable sweet malt taste(caramel) that hits the front of the tongue after the inital floral hop taste. It lingers for a moment and nicely balances the previous and still present floral taste before quitely slipping away just as suddely as it appeared. Again I think something more complex could would benefit this brew. Alcohol is somewhat evident in the taste. I definitely prefer Arrogant Bastard over this when it comes to strong ales.

9th Anniversary is a medium bodied creamy beer in the mouth and feels real good. This is a beer I would definitely drink more of, however this is the only bottle I have and it being a limeted edition release that would not be possible. Its too bad really this is quite a good beer. I feel though that as I keep drinking this beer the hop taste that was somewhat aggressive to begin with is less and less aggressive with each sip. I think that the floral taste is easily wearing out my palate. Seems like with every sip it tastes different than the one before. I know that many beers flavor profiles change as the beer warms, however I have never had one change so much as this one. I think my palate is getting worn out from the hops. It makes it hard to determine the flavor profile of this beer. The high use of hops in this beer deteoriating my palate make this beer harder to drink than it should be. It feels like I am drinking a new beer each time I take a sip.

becktone, Jul 21, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Picked this up on a business trip to Denver. It was the last bottle they had so I grabbed it. $3.99 for the bomber.

I wans't sure what to expect but knowing it wasn't a Belgian style offering from Stone, I knew it would at least be hoppy. The pour was decent. Bright orange-light amber color and slightly hazy with a very nice one finger head.

Smells of pine and grass. Very aromatic. Even a hint of alcohol aroma as well.

Taste was okay. I expected a little more malt backbone for such a big beer. It had a slight hoppy finish but not as much as expected. The overwhelming theme here was the alcohol. The beer is not huge but the flavor profile of the beer did little to mask the alcohol taste. Almost like a shot of vodka was dropped in the glass. Not one of my favorite qualities in a beer.

Mouthfeel was okay as well. Not as full bodied as I would have hoped. It was slightly slick on the tongue but the warming of the alcohol was too overwhelming.

Needless to say this one was not the most drinkable beer I have had. I had this one at the end of the night and it salted away any thought of having another beer before bed.

I am glad I was able to try it but I won't be seeking out another bottle of 9.

Terp96, Jul 09, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Orange amber with slight chill haze and a nice fluffy white head that leaves decent lace.

Fantastic lemon-orange intense citrus notes backed up by a nice caramel malt presence. Exceptional.

Sweet and bitter up front, melts into a smooth honey caramel midtongue. Leaves a hearty bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Smooth carbonation coats the tongue. Very drinkable despite it's status as a strong ale.

nortmand, Jul 04, 2006
Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.