2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Ratings: 248 | Reviews: 218 | Show All Ratings:
Terp96

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

Picked this up on a business trip to Denver. It was the last bottle they had so I grabbed it. $3.99 for the bomber.

I wans't sure what to expect but knowing it wasn't a Belgian style offering from Stone, I knew it would at least be hoppy. The pour was decent. Bright orange-light amber color and slightly hazy with a very nice one finger head.

Smells of pine and grass. Very aromatic. Even a hint of alcohol aroma as well.

Taste was okay. I expected a little more malt backbone for such a big beer. It had a slight hoppy finish but not as much as expected. The overwhelming theme here was the alcohol. The beer is not huge but the flavor profile of the beer did little to mask the alcohol taste. Almost like a shot of vodka was dropped in the glass. Not one of my favorite qualities in a beer.

Mouthfeel was okay as well. Not as full bodied as I would have hoped. It was slightly slick on the tongue but the warming of the alcohol was too overwhelming.

Needless to say this one was not the most drinkable beer I have had. I had this one at the end of the night and it salted away any thought of having another beer before bed.

I am glad I was able to try it but I won't be seeking out another bottle of 9.

07-09-2006 12:17:23 | More by Terp96
MrTopher

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Found a few of these at a bottle shop in Thousand Oaks (CA), they looked to have a lot of sediment, but I went for them anyway.
Served in a Duvel tulip from the 22oz bottle.

A – A golden orange color, getting close to cooper but not that dark. The beer was very cloudy also, but I wasn’t scared, I was more intrigued. Had a decent off white head that held its retention very well, but wasn’t lacing like other Stone beers.

S – Pine, citrus and a little grass hop smell, shocking because this beer is 6 years old and I was expecting all of the hop smells to have dissipated. There was a mild malt sent also, but also a booze smell, light a higher alcohol content beer.

T – This had a strong alcohol flavor, but doesn’t downplay the rest of what’s going on, a lot of bitterness, some citrus hops, and some floral hops. There was a very mild malt flavor, but it was overshadowed by the hops and the booziness.

M – Good carbonation, which I wasn’t surprised about. Very medium in the body.

O – I never had this fresh, heck I wasn’t even into craft beer 6 years ago. So I have nothing to compare this to. I was impressed at how much of the hop flavor is still present in this beer and it hasn’t gone the path of a barleywine. All in all I am impressed, and for calling this a Wheat IPA (read from the Stone book that’s just been released) I see nothing wheaty about this.

10-03-2011 18:08:58 | More by MrTopher
yourunclewalt

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a snifter

A - One finger creamy eggshell head on a hazy orange / yellow body; looks like a belgian with whisps of carbonation and little visible sedement

S - Tangerines, sour pears, candy malts

T - Stark alcohol presence - vodka, candy / belgian malts, a touch of brown sugar and phenolic notes finishing

M - Creamy into a thin, carbonated bite

D - Whew, lots of alcohol present on this one; definitely a sipper. Aged well, paired this well with a robust cigar and good conversation.

06-28-2007 05:07:55 | More by yourunclewalt
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours from the 22oz bomber a pale gold with fluffy white head.

Smell is lightly floral hops and a bit of a tangy-ish flavor, probably from the wheat.

The taste in my opinion, was a surprise based on the smell. The bitter and grapefruity hops kick you in the butt, even though I didn't really smell them that strong in the nose. The body is lighter than expected as well. Light malt and pungeant hops dominate this brew from start to finish.

As for being drinkable, yeah, I guess it's pretty drinkable. I am a hop-head, but this was almost too much of a one trick pony for me. I prefer complex hop interplay, but this seems very one-sided. It's still a great brew, just don't know how much of it I could handle.

09-29-2005 17:17:41 | More by Beervis
Bumpon10s

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

A - Golden color with a little lace on the head, it LOOKS like it's going to be a great beer.

S - Awesome smell of cascade hops and a fruit basket, the sheer amount a fruit is amazing.

T - Hoppy and incredibly refreshing, a stronger hop was anticipated but drew parrallel with the smell. Very light and clean taste with the slightest bitter at the end.

M - Super smooth and very clean, the fruit and cascade hops keep you very fresh, about as good as it comes with the mouthfeel.

D - I almost want to cry that it's both a one-ff and that we can't buy it in Illinois, I would be drinking this as a substitute, to well, fluids. At around 7% ABV and the refreshing character of this beer, drinkability is very high.

I need to find more of this beer, I may have to go to Three Floyds again, and grab a ton more of this on the way out of Indiana. I insist that everyone try this if at all possible.

10-06-2005 04:57:27 | More by Bumpon10s
boelker62

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a pint glass at Monk's Cafe's "Everybody Must Drink Stone" Tasting 5/22/07...

A - amber color with a thin, white head. Slightly cloudy, especially being this old.

S - an appropriate hop bite right up front with some pine tinges in the background. I didn't pull the maltiness out of it as some other have commented.

T - you don't notice the alcohol at first, but when you do, you pay no mind, and just keep it going. The hops are well-pronounced without dominating this brew. I couldn't pull any citrus notes from the hops, as they are long gone from this one. No worries though. The mature taste remaning fills the void.

M - Lower levels of carbonation that are appropriate to the style, and a nice alcohol warmth.

D - moreso than some of the other offerings from Stone, just pace yourself, as with most.

05-24-2007 19:23:14 | More by boelker62
Callenak

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm a big Stone drinker so I may be a little biased, but I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. Not sure what it is classified as but sure smelled/tasted like an IPA to me. Great hoppy, floral smell to it that you can tell they emphasized more on the finishing (cascade?) than the bittering hops on this bad boy. The alcohol % sneaks up you too. With such a crisp golden color and taste you'd never know this was over 7%. I honestly enjoyed it more than Stone's IPA and Ruination. If you can get your hands on some, give her a pour.

02-15-2006 23:58:14 | More by Callenak
metallistout

Poured a copper color, with a creamy white head, that actually stuck around for a while considering its alcohol content.

Smells of hops, citrus,malty, a little piney, maybe a wheat aroma.

Good mouthfeel, and taste of malt and hops and citrus, just like the aroma.A couple other spices I can't recognize, maybe a spruce and sage? Very good taste

I would drink this beer anywhere and anytime. I like another Stone brew!

11-07-2005 22:15:45 | More by metallistout
grindcore666

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Dark gold. A proud head of white foam with good retention and thick lacing.

Smells fruity: pear, cinammon apples, orange peel. Nice.

Fruity hops kick things off - I taste the fruits in the aroma unravel. Finish is sweet and buttery. Aftertaste is soapy.

Nice mid-carbonation levels, mouthfeel is pretty light and buttery.

For Stone, this one is average. But in the grand scheme of things, a good drinkable beer.

10-30-2005 01:57:07 | More by grindcore666
altctrlsdelete

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Stumbled upon this today at Once Upon a Vine. Kind of surprised no one has reviewed it yet, so I thought I'd jot down some notes.

This lists as an American Strong Ale, the same style as Arrogant Bastard, and it is definitely reminiscent of that Stone signature brew. Lighter in color, a golden yellow as opposed to the much redder Bastard, with a frothy white head that leaves some pleasant lacing in the glass. Like the Bastard, the hops are there but incredibly well balanced with what must be a ton of malt. Maybe a bit more of a piney nose than AB.

Slightly more alcohol than AB, but well hidden. You could session this if you didn't know any better. Strikes me as slightly lighter in the mouth, but that could just be mental because of the color difference.

This is another excellent beer from Stone and definitely worth picking up (what Stone isn't?). I'll probably be going back for more tomorrow, as well as for some AB to do a side-by-side comparison, just in case I'm completely misremembering and this review is all bullshit.

UPDATE: Finally got around to having this side-by-side with Arrogant Bastard, and while there is some similarity, these are definitely different beers. AB has a much more subtle hop profile than this, and the alcohol in AB much better hidden. The coloring is night and day (almost literally). Much harsher hops and alchohol. I still think this is worth picking up, but I don't think you need to lose any sleep if you miss it. Certainly far from undrinkable though -- I'm not sure what was up with the beer Jason sampled.

08-29-2005 23:43:36 | More by altctrlsdelete
BabaJohn

9th anniversary produced a strong citrus and hop nose. The color was really fascinating, as it appeared a somewhat vibrant shade of orange. There was a subtle, but smooth and pretty head with visible specks of sediment in the beverage itself. Citrus remained strong in the flavor, but there was still that characteristic Stone hop punch. There were many buttery, candy-like flavors as well, some of which I couldn’t quite put my finger on but were intriguing nonetheless. Mouthfeel was also buttery and quite pleasing. Good stuff, Stone.

08-06-2006 02:52:02 | More by BabaJohn
maskednegator

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, yellowish orange. Thin head.
Smell: Grapefruit rind, baking bread, chamomile tea.
Taste: Toasted malts, citrus, pine needles, apples, crackers. Finishes clean. Sublime.
Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, strong carbonation.
Drinkability: Otherworldly. 3 snifters in a row and I wished that I had had the time for 6 more.
Verdict: Fuck the haters, I loved this beer. Limited quantities of this are rarely on tap at the brewery. Good luck, suckers.

03-20-2009 18:46:24 | More by maskednegator
KingSlender

22 oz bomber picked up at Bev Mo.

Glassware - Magic Hat Pint

Pours a light yellowish-orange...very similar to a pale ale. The head is bright white with a hearty thickness to it that clings nicely to the glass.

The nose has the typical Stone spice to it. I know I've smelt this before somewhere...hmmmm. Can't put my finger on what I'm picking up here but there's plenty of hops and the alchohol is not hidden well at all.

The taste is very different than what I was expecting. A very light mouthfeel, low on malt sweetness, a big hop bite, and a strong alchohol kick on the aftertaste. Almost like a Stone IPA mixed with Marin's seasonal Triple Wheat.

I honestly don't know what to think of this beer. It's not bad, but not that great either.

09-14-2005 04:55:53 | More by KingSlender
mochunk

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bomber into pint glass. 9th Anniversary Ale, September 2005.

Copper orange with arid off white head, good to great lacing.

heavily floral hops greet the nose. slight hints of cloves and barley.

First sip is medium in feel and flows down the throat clean, not quite oily, not quite dry. Tastes of the floral hops, some citrus seems to want to make an appearance but can't quite get through. Spicy clove with a slightly malty barley finish. The hops dance on the palate long after, and there is a bit of a phenol bite, warming all the way down. This almost reminds me a spicier slightly hopped but low abv barleywine. Theres more going on here than I have the vocabulary to describe. Oh@! I got it. Butterscotch. Ok, so I read some other reviews to see if anyone described what I couldn't, and that's what it was. Definite butterscotch note permeates throughout. I'd like to try one cellared another 6 months so it's a year old. I can probably get more so maybe I'll try that.

This is a complex enough brew to please just about anyone yet is quite drinkable. Surely worthy of celebratory anniversary, good on ya Stone. Here's to 10 more.

Besides, how can you not like a brew that uses "antidisestablishmentarianism" in it's labeled description?!

05-02-2006 02:42:42 | More by mochunk
nephlim

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a one pt bottle. Colour is a hazy pale light orange. A Very nice head, and the smell is wonderfull. First taste was somewhat surprising, as it was a bit more bitter than I had expected. Though, I could live off of Stone's Ruination, so that's not exactly a bad thing.

Nice finish, leaves a bit a of a coating, much like a nice Spanish red will. Very lip smacking, and easy to drink.

Here's to 9 awesome years, and many more to come!

02-12-2006 04:35:55 | More by nephlim
HokieNoPokie

Colorado

The light amber color of this one was a bit of a surprise. Sediment was suspended in the brew. A nice, thick head went away pretty quickly. A great hoppy aroma with a hint of alcohol and fruits of some sort - perhaps tropical.

Complex. I like that.

The taste is astringent, hoppy, alcoholic, and leaves the flavors lingering in your mouth. Almost Belgian, but not quite.

Overall, a very unique and well done offering from Stone.

09-29-2005 22:10:54 | More by HokieNoPokie
Zithal

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Stone rarely disapoints and this baby is no exception. An agressive pour resulted in a foamy white head.

Aroma was nice and hoppy with some yeasty overtones. The beer itself is a pale-gold with a slight cloudyness to it.

The taste is wonderfully hoppy with some very minor uncomfortable mouth feel. After tasting, I expected the hops to linger for awhile, but them seemed to quickly subdue.

As the beer warmed, the flavour improved. I know it's listed here as an American Strong Ale, but it tastes more like an Imperial IPA.

In all a very good brew. Happy 9th aniversary, Stone!

11-23-2005 01:43:10 | More by Zithal
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.