1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 9th Anniversary AleStone 9th Anniversary Ale

poor

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-29-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 9th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I poured this special elixir into my Arrogant Bastard glass from a 22 oz. bomber.Deep golden liquid filled the glass about half way, then an off-white head shot up the rest and retained its composure for a little while. A light citrusy aroma hit my senses as I stuck my nose to the edge of the glass. I attempted to take a sip while waiting out the head to settle down and as I got a little bit of nectar...I let out a big sneeze (hoppy beers always make me sneeze). I knew that this was going to be an experience. The beer wasn't as hoppy as I anticipated, but it was still bitter to the end. There wasn't much lingering afterwards either. A very nice balance of malt and hops. Mouthfeel is sort of medium, kind of chewy, but very drinkable despite its 7.8% alcohol. Hopefully I can get my hands on their tenth anniversary release.

jhammerly, Apr 16, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Found a few of these at a bottle shop in Thousand Oaks (CA), they looked to have a lot of sediment, but I went for them anyway.
Served in a Duvel tulip from the 22oz bottle.

A – A golden orange color, getting close to cooper but not that dark. The beer was very cloudy also, but I wasn’t scared, I was more intrigued. Had a decent off white head that held its retention very well, but wasn’t lacing like other Stone beers.

S – Pine, citrus and a little grass hop smell, shocking because this beer is 6 years old and I was expecting all of the hop smells to have dissipated. There was a mild malt sent also, but also a booze smell, light a higher alcohol content beer.

T – This had a strong alcohol flavor, but doesn’t downplay the rest of what’s going on, a lot of bitterness, some citrus hops, and some floral hops. There was a very mild malt flavor, but it was overshadowed by the hops and the booziness.

M – Good carbonation, which I wasn’t surprised about. Very medium in the body.

O – I never had this fresh, heck I wasn’t even into craft beer 6 years ago. So I have nothing to compare this to. I was impressed at how much of the hop flavor is still present in this beer and it hasn’t gone the path of a barleywine. All in all I am impressed, and for calling this a Wheat IPA (read from the Stone book that’s just been released) I see nothing wheaty about this.

MrTopher, Oct 03, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

22 oz. bottle served in my Double Bastard specialty glass (mix between tulip and snifter)

A - Beautiful golden orange color with a very nice fluffy white head that dissipates to a thin layer, but leaves fine lacing on the glass.

S - Peach, apricot and both piney and floral hops. A little bit of sweet malt and orange zest followed up nicely by a little more citrus spice.

T - Piney hops with a touch of bitterness and quite a bit of sweet hop flavor. Surprising with more than a year and a half of age on this one. Impressive. A touch of alcohol with an interesting spicy sweetness. I really think this tastes like a mix between arrogant bastard and ruination, and that's not a bad thing.

M - Perfectly creamy and well carbonated. A nice balance of dry stickiness at the finish.

D - Overall impressions are that this beer has aged very gracefully. Anyone sitting on a bottle or two of this would be well advised to drink it right now, as it is significantly improved from the young version.

dgfair, Mar 29, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

A clear golden colour with a frothy white head. Not a lot of lacing, but instead a thin layer of foam clung to the inside of the glass. Pretty high carbonation with an full, steady flow of bubbles. Aroma was light, but has a slightly sweet malt and citrus fragrance. Higher ABV is noticeable right from the beginning of the first sip and contributes to an overall warming affect. Sweet malt flavour to start which is quickly replaced by a bitter grapefruit taste. Finsish was very bitter and dry, almost a little harsh, with a lingering aftertaste.

Xadoor, Apr 02, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Wasn't sure what to expect when i cracked this open, the bottle gives no real indications as to style, and traditional stone typography on the back is entertaining, but mostly just nonsense. Poured a lighter yellow than I had expected with plenty of active carbonation and a fantastic dense white head that lasted forever and stuck to the side of the glass. Nose was fruity with suggestions of grapes and citrus. Taste hits the palate not unlike an IPA really, lots of piny hop flavors shine through with slight melon and citrus flavors which can easily be detected. This beer starts off well but for me the finish is a bit of a disaster, the alcohol really can be felt/tasted after the swallow in a bad way. I'm not against alcohol flavors in me beer when executed well but for me this was just a little too much, At 7.8 percent this is a fairly strong beer but it comes off like something above 10 percent at least. As others have suggested, this is a really good start to a great beer, perhaps if aged the alcohol will mellow a but and it will show more malt character. I probably would't have this again.

masikon, Dec 31, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.
September 2005.

Pours a very clear, golden, copper color. Very fluffy, bright white colored head. Excellent head retention. Tons of sticky lacing, coating all sides of the glass. Good citrusy, hop smell combined with an even amount of malts. Hints of pepper, yeast and a slight biscuity smell. Taste mimics the smell, lots of hops and malts, followed by pepper and finishes very bitter. Medium bodied, smooth but leaves a funky grainy feeling in the mouth and on the teeth. Overall, not a bad beer, but my least favorite from Stone, so far. Hopefully their 10th anniversary ale will be much better.

BigDaddyWil, May 30, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Picked this up on a business trip to Denver. It was the last bottle they had so I grabbed it. $3.99 for the bomber.

I wans't sure what to expect but knowing it wasn't a Belgian style offering from Stone, I knew it would at least be hoppy. The pour was decent. Bright orange-light amber color and slightly hazy with a very nice one finger head.

Smells of pine and grass. Very aromatic. Even a hint of alcohol aroma as well.

Taste was okay. I expected a little more malt backbone for such a big beer. It had a slight hoppy finish but not as much as expected. The overwhelming theme here was the alcohol. The beer is not huge but the flavor profile of the beer did little to mask the alcohol taste. Almost like a shot of vodka was dropped in the glass. Not one of my favorite qualities in a beer.

Mouthfeel was okay as well. Not as full bodied as I would have hoped. It was slightly slick on the tongue but the warming of the alcohol was too overwhelming.

Needless to say this one was not the most drinkable beer I have had. I had this one at the end of the night and it salted away any thought of having another beer before bed.

I am glad I was able to try it but I won't be seeking out another bottle of 9.

Terp96, Jul 09, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a snifter

A - One finger creamy eggshell head on a hazy orange / yellow body; looks like a belgian with whisps of carbonation and little visible sedement

S - Tangerines, sour pears, candy malts

T - Stark alcohol presence - vodka, candy / belgian malts, a touch of brown sugar and phenolic notes finishing

M - Creamy into a thin, carbonated bite

D - Whew, lots of alcohol present on this one; definitely a sipper. Aged well, paired this well with a robust cigar and good conversation.

yourunclewalt, Jun 28, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours from the 22oz bomber a pale gold with fluffy white head.

Smell is lightly floral hops and a bit of a tangy-ish flavor, probably from the wheat.

The taste in my opinion, was a surprise based on the smell. The bitter and grapefruity hops kick you in the butt, even though I didn't really smell them that strong in the nose. The body is lighter than expected as well. Light malt and pungeant hops dominate this brew from start to finish.

As for being drinkable, yeah, I guess it's pretty drinkable. I am a hop-head, but this was almost too much of a one trick pony for me. I prefer complex hop interplay, but this seems very one-sided. It's still a great brew, just don't know how much of it I could handle.

Beervis, Sep 29, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

A - Golden color with a little lace on the head, it LOOKS like it's going to be a great beer.

S - Awesome smell of cascade hops and a fruit basket, the sheer amount a fruit is amazing.

T - Hoppy and incredibly refreshing, a stronger hop was anticipated but drew parrallel with the smell. Very light and clean taste with the slightest bitter at the end.

M - Super smooth and very clean, the fruit and cascade hops keep you very fresh, about as good as it comes with the mouthfeel.

D - I almost want to cry that it's both a one-ff and that we can't buy it in Illinois, I would be drinking this as a substitute, to well, fluids. At around 7% ABV and the refreshing character of this beer, drinkability is very high.

I need to find more of this beer, I may have to go to Three Floyds again, and grab a ton more of this on the way out of Indiana. I insist that everyone try this if at all possible.

Bumpon10s, Oct 06, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a pint glass at Monk's Cafe's "Everybody Must Drink Stone" Tasting 5/22/07...

A - amber color with a thin, white head. Slightly cloudy, especially being this old.

S - an appropriate hop bite right up front with some pine tinges in the background. I didn't pull the maltiness out of it as some other have commented.

T - you don't notice the alcohol at first, but when you do, you pay no mind, and just keep it going. The hops are well-pronounced without dominating this brew. I couldn't pull any citrus notes from the hops, as they are long gone from this one. No worries though. The mature taste remaning fills the void.

M - Lower levels of carbonation that are appropriate to the style, and a nice alcohol warmth.

D - moreso than some of the other offerings from Stone, just pace yourself, as with most.

boelker62, May 24, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm a big Stone drinker so I may be a little biased, but I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. Not sure what it is classified as but sure smelled/tasted like an IPA to me. Great hoppy, floral smell to it that you can tell they emphasized more on the finishing (cascade?) than the bittering hops on this bad boy. The alcohol % sneaks up you too. With such a crisp golden color and taste you'd never know this was over 7%. I honestly enjoyed it more than Stone's IPA and Ruination. If you can get your hands on some, give her a pour.

Callenak, Feb 15, 2006

fain12, Nov 28, 2013

Poured a copper color, with a creamy white head, that actually stuck around for a while considering its alcohol content.

Smells of hops, citrus,malty, a little piney, maybe a wheat aroma.

Good mouthfeel, and taste of malt and hops and citrus, just like the aroma.A couple other spices I can't recognize, maybe a spruce and sage? Very good taste

I would drink this beer anywhere and anytime. I like another Stone brew!

metallistout, Nov 07, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Dark gold. A proud head of white foam with good retention and thick lacing.

Smells fruity: pear, cinammon apples, orange peel. Nice.

Fruity hops kick things off - I taste the fruits in the aroma unravel. Finish is sweet and buttery. Aftertaste is soapy.

Nice mid-carbonation levels, mouthfeel is pretty light and buttery.

For Stone, this one is average. But in the grand scheme of things, a good drinkable beer.

grindcore666, Oct 30, 2005

jaybrough, Oct 12, 2013

ArchitectBrewCo, Jun 05, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Stumbled upon this today at Once Upon a Vine. Kind of surprised no one has reviewed it yet, so I thought I'd jot down some notes.

This lists as an American Strong Ale, the same style as Arrogant Bastard, and it is definitely reminiscent of that Stone signature brew. Lighter in color, a golden yellow as opposed to the much redder Bastard, with a frothy white head that leaves some pleasant lacing in the glass. Like the Bastard, the hops are there but incredibly well balanced with what must be a ton of malt. Maybe a bit more of a piney nose than AB.

Slightly more alcohol than AB, but well hidden. You could session this if you didn't know any better. Strikes me as slightly lighter in the mouth, but that could just be mental because of the color difference.

This is another excellent beer from Stone and definitely worth picking up (what Stone isn't?). I'll probably be going back for more tomorrow, as well as for some AB to do a side-by-side comparison, just in case I'm completely misremembering and this review is all bullshit.

UPDATE: Finally got around to having this side-by-side with Arrogant Bastard, and while there is some similarity, these are definitely different beers. AB has a much more subtle hop profile than this, and the alcohol in AB much better hidden. The coloring is night and day (almost literally). Much harsher hops and alchohol. I still think this is worth picking up, but I don't think you need to lose any sleep if you miss it. Certainly far from undrinkable though -- I'm not sure what was up with the beer Jason sampled.

altctrlsdelete, Aug 30, 2005

9th anniversary produced a strong citrus and hop nose. The color was really fascinating, as it appeared a somewhat vibrant shade of orange. There was a subtle, but smooth and pretty head with visible specks of sediment in the beverage itself. Citrus remained strong in the flavor, but there was still that characteristic Stone hop punch. There were many buttery, candy-like flavors as well, some of which I couldn’t quite put my finger on but were intriguing nonetheless. Mouthfeel was also buttery and quite pleasing. Good stuff, Stone.

BabaJohn, Aug 06, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, yellowish orange. Thin head.
Smell: Grapefruit rind, baking bread, chamomile tea.
Taste: Toasted malts, citrus, pine needles, apples, crackers. Finishes clean. Sublime.
Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, strong carbonation.
Drinkability: Otherworldly. 3 snifters in a row and I wished that I had had the time for 6 more.
Verdict: Fuck the haters, I loved this beer. Limited quantities of this are rarely on tap at the brewery. Good luck, suckers.

maskednegator, Mar 20, 2009

22 oz bomber picked up at Bev Mo.

Glassware - Magic Hat Pint

Pours a light yellowish-orange...very similar to a pale ale. The head is bright white with a hearty thickness to it that clings nicely to the glass.

The nose has the typical Stone spice to it. I know I've smelt this before somewhere...hmmmm. Can't put my finger on what I'm picking up here but there's plenty of hops and the alchohol is not hidden well at all.

The taste is very different than what I was expecting. A very light mouthfeel, low on malt sweetness, a big hop bite, and a strong alchohol kick on the aftertaste. Almost like a Stone IPA mixed with Marin's seasonal Triple Wheat.

I honestly don't know what to think of this beer. It's not bad, but not that great either.

KingSlender, Sep 14, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bomber into pint glass. 9th Anniversary Ale, September 2005.

Copper orange with arid off white head, good to great lacing.

heavily floral hops greet the nose. slight hints of cloves and barley.

First sip is medium in feel and flows down the throat clean, not quite oily, not quite dry. Tastes of the floral hops, some citrus seems to want to make an appearance but can't quite get through. Spicy clove with a slightly malty barley finish. The hops dance on the palate long after, and there is a bit of a phenol bite, warming all the way down. This almost reminds me a spicier slightly hopped but low abv barleywine. Theres more going on here than I have the vocabulary to describe. Oh@! I got it. Butterscotch. Ok, so I read some other reviews to see if anyone described what I couldn't, and that's what it was. Definite butterscotch note permeates throughout. I'd like to try one cellared another 6 months so it's a year old. I can probably get more so maybe I'll try that.

This is a complex enough brew to please just about anyone yet is quite drinkable. Surely worthy of celebratory anniversary, good on ya Stone. Here's to 10 more.

Besides, how can you not like a brew that uses "antidisestablishmentarianism" in it's labeled description?!

mochunk, May 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a one pt bottle. Colour is a hazy pale light orange. A Very nice head, and the smell is wonderfull. First taste was somewhat surprising, as it was a bit more bitter than I had expected. Though, I could live off of Stone's Ruination, so that's not exactly a bad thing.

Nice finish, leaves a bit a of a coating, much like a nice Spanish red will. Very lip smacking, and easy to drink.

Here's to 9 awesome years, and many more to come!

nephlim, Feb 12, 2006

The light amber color of this one was a bit of a surprise. Sediment was suspended in the brew. A nice, thick head went away pretty quickly. A great hoppy aroma with a hint of alcohol and fruits of some sort - perhaps tropical.

Complex. I like that.

The taste is astringent, hoppy, alcoholic, and leaves the flavors lingering in your mouth. Almost Belgian, but not quite.

Overall, a very unique and well done offering from Stone.

HokieNoPokie, Sep 29, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Stone rarely disapoints and this baby is no exception. An agressive pour resulted in a foamy white head.

Aroma was nice and hoppy with some yeasty overtones. The beer itself is a pale-gold with a slight cloudyness to it.

The taste is wonderfully hoppy with some very minor uncomfortable mouth feel. After tasting, I expected the hops to linger for awhile, but them seemed to quickly subdue.

As the beer warmed, the flavour improved. I know it's listed here as an American Strong Ale, but it tastes more like an Imperial IPA.

In all a very good brew. Happy 9th aniversary, Stone!

Zithal, Nov 23, 2005
Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.