Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: WebmasterMike on 03-02-2006)
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Shared this one with my father while watching the extended "Return of the King". He really liked it.

This one was a lovely amber color, clear, with a half finger head. What a barley wine should be.

Aroma was slightly sweet, fruity malt, a bit musty. Alcohol was noticeable in the nose.

The flavor washed over the tongue so easily... strong malt, a trace of mustiness, slightly sweet, with a hint of pine-like hoppiness. No alcohol in the flavor... very deceptive!

Mouthfeel was quite chewy, thick and syrupy. It went down really smooth.

Drinkability was very nice. I will have to get one and cellar it for a year or two. Dang, I am running out of cellaring space in my cabinet!

connecticutpoet, Mar 31, 2006

2006 vintage.

Pours a nice dark amber color with one finger cream head.

Smells sweet, and fruity.

The taste is very malty and sweet, with fruity overtones, that finishes with a nice warming alcoholic burn. Very oaky.

The sweet flavour makes the for a nice drinkability.

A very good example of an American Barleywine.

Freshie, Mar 19, 2006

530veerguzzler, Dec 31, 2011

codynevels, Nov 18, 2011

PhineasGage, Jan 27, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance- Ruddy dark copper with a nice head and lacing that just won't quit.

Smell- Sweet fruity malts, raisins, bread, cherries. Hops come through but are beaten up by the malts.

Taste- One smooth mother of a barleywine. The malts dominate yet the hops come through at the end. Very complex and delicious. The sweetness makes it a delight to drink, it is thick and substantial, no watery qualities at all.

Mouthfeel- Thick and clingy, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability- Way too drinkable for the ABV. I'm hosting a blind tasting this weekend and this and AleSmith Speedway Stout will be my contributions. This is what I look for in a good ale: no watery taste at all, simply an ale that stands up on it's own and makes a statement. Stone can do no wrong.

kirok1999, Jul 14, 2006

jvillefan, Apr 06, 2013

Budinetz, Feb 04, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance – This is an innocent-looking orange with some light brown coloring. The head almost blew up at the pour but settled quite nicely.

Smelll – Yes, the hops are definitely taken aback from previous years. The malts are sticky sweet. They are very broken down and probably would not respond well to prolonged aging. This is good as is. The booze is in the background but not to be forgotten.

Taste – This is so much bigger at the taste. The hops first of all, which were all but AWOL at the nose, are huge. They are a complex mix of sharp fruits and light pine with maybe a bit of herbalness.

The huge malts from the nose are at first hard to find at the taste. But, there they are, soaked in alcohol and drenched in this, hardy fruit syrup. This is a heavy-hitting, complex flavor profile that will keep the note-keepers very busy.

Mouthfeel – This is almost full in the body with some surprising carbonation and a mild alcohol sting in the cheeks.

Drinkability – This is very drinkable with no aging. I wouldn’t say that it’s “sessionable” – hahaha – but if you HAD to drink a party keg it would be a task worthy of the most faithfull BA.

RoyalT, Apr 09, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Clear dark cherry wood with a nice white foamy white head that left some streaks of lace on the glass. Plenty of nice ripe dark fruits in the nose with some alcohol peaking through. Some bready malts helped add some depth. The flavor starts off with ripe fruit sweetness and some warming alcohol. Notes of doughy malts helped to cut the sweetness and light hops. Finishes fruit with a slight alcohol bite. Nice full body and smooth going down. Very similar to last years but with less harshness this fresh, great stuff.

meathookjones, May 17, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Clear coppery amber topped by a substantial yellowish/light brown head. Generous chunky lacing remained as the head slowly fell. Rich caramel aroma, combined with notes of bread, alcohol, vanilla, and earthy hops that have a slightly citric edge. Great flavour - sweet malts blend with caramel, spicy alcohol, soft vanilla, mild ripe fruit and balanced citrusy/resinous hops. Bitterness never overpowers, but is a formidable presence from beginning through to the lingering finish. Medium to full bodied, the carbonation falls just short of giving it a creamy texture, leaving the mouthfeel just a bit rough (appropriately, I think). Alcohol starts to stun the tongue after a few sips, but it's not overbearing, and the warmth in the finish is quite pleasant. I really like this one this year. The character is balanced nicely between refinement and roughness, like it hasn't quite been tamed. The alcohol is also kept a little more in check. I'll try it again in a few months to see how it's coming along.

DrJay, Nov 23, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Holy moly, look what I found in the back of the closet cellar! Cool!

Oh yeah, pours a cascading hazy amber with a cascading tan head, plenty foamy even after 3 years and a whopping 11%+ Oily sheets of lace ripple around the Corsendonk tulip.

Classic, pure classic Barleywine aroma - sweet caramel malts back with the orange liquor. Progresses into the quaff nicely, add a bit of stinging alcohol and hop bite for an enjoyable Barleywine afternoon while March madness prevails. Finish has plenty of hops to balance with the initial sweetness.

A full bodied beer, to say the least. A true sipper, the hot alcohol is still there and biting me in the arse.

Vancer, Mar 21, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Striking screen print label explains Limited early 2006 release, 11.26% ABV with decorative fonts.

Pours with a light polished copper hue containing a few rising bubbles to a thick 1/2" solid island of spotty craggy beige coating. Some solid lace holds firm. A rather bright color for an American Barley wine.

Perky scents of caramel and hard candy malts with an impressive array of hop balance. Solid sturdy scents of beer ingreients that state bold sugar and malt bomb all the way. A tad of cherry fruit and bubble gum in the fruity mix of aromas.

First swigs: Rich sugar meld of hard sugar rock candy that just oozes clean American barley wine. Tricky flavor that would beguile the most discerning tastebuds. The hops create a swiggable big barleywine to crazy proportions. All the pear and apple fruit in the world is in here.

Feel is gentle with a subtle restrained carbonation. This one is ready to go! No cellaring needed. Gawd! Fresh barleywines can be awesome!

Last swigs: To assuage my personal tastes I'd pump a tad more malt backing along the lines of a SNBF and this is golden! It's tasty as it is.

Beer is good. Happy American barleywie beering.

blitheringidiot, Jun 21, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I received this as a birthday gift in April, and the bottle says "Limited Early 2006 Release," so this beer must be about 8-10 months old at this point. I'm not an expert on aging, and I'm even less of an expert on patience when it comes to beer, so I may be making a huge mistake by cracking my one and only bottle of this stuff so soon, but I've become Stone's bitch over the past few months and tonight the gargoyle wants to have his way with me again so I must submit.

The brew poured a flawless transparent mahogany with minimal head that quickly dissolved to a thin, tan lace.

The odor was notably potent, a mix of sweet red wine and caramel with a spicy quality (ok, I'm not doing this one justice, but my sense of smell and spices still needs a lot of work). Suffice to say, it was enticing.

The first sip was equally rewarding. A bit of the burn of alcohol, but at 11.2% ABV, I expected much worse. The flavor was so intense I could taste it just by inhaling through my mouth before the liquid ever touched my taste buds. Aside from the alcohol, it had a bit of red wine flavor and the sweetness of caramel, along with a strong piney, hoppy quality I've grown to love about Stone's brews.

Mouthfeel was pretty impressive for such a strong beer. Although the alcohol burned going down and the hops were intense upon contacting my palate, the finish was remarkably clean with very little lingering aftertaste.

I know this beer is going to kick my ass with so much alcohol, but I could easily see myself making short work of it. I just need to remind myself that I only have one bottle, I don't know if/when I'll see it again, and it's damn good. If I see it again, I'm buying a case.

All this coming from someone who previously disliked and even feared barley wines. Either I've come a long way, or Stone just reinforced why they've quickly become my favorite brewery.

instrumentality, Oct 04, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

This year is my first in trying Barley Wines.
Ok...I like them...and enjoy the differences between them.
This old Guardian is surprisingly smooth...
Pours a med redish orange with a small head that ends up very fine lacing.
Aroma is only lightly hops....heavier on citrus and toasted malts.
Mouthfeel is pleasant with it's very fine carbonation.
Taste is slight orange....a little toasty...then nice hop bitterness ending in a grapefruit tang. Nice alcohol warming on the finish.
I enjoyed this one and was surprised at it's mild smoothness with no aging. I can definately drink this one "green" and will be interested in how it matures (If I can restrain myself enough to cellar some for a year.

IntriqKen, Mar 18, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

22oz. Bottle picked up from Table and Vine for 6.95.

From the first sips, it seems like it is worth every penny. This is one of those mystical beers that seems to rarely show up on the East Coast. Anyhow, as I was reading the label wafting cinnamon and warming fennels overcame me. Needless to say I stopped reading and started drinking. Mellow, mellow, mellow on the tongue. Not too spicy, not too numbing. Perfect.

At 11.20 this is obviously a bear- beware! This could quite possibly the easiest drinking high ABV beer I've ever had. Simply wonderful. This is one is definitely one for the cellar.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Mar 26, 2006

Early Spring Release 2006
The beer upon the pour from the 22-ounce brown silk screened bottle is a clear burnished copper with a voluminous creamy light tan head that after erosion leaves a nice coating of lace upon the glass. Nose has a nice malt sweetness, hints of caramel, and oh yes a bit of fusel alcohol, and touch of hops me thinks, start is sweet, and the grain profile perfect and the top medium to full in feel to the palate. Finish has perfect carbonation, the delectable in their spiciness, nice bit of tummy warming, and the aftertaste dry. This beer has been a longtime favorite, and one I look for each year, along with the Imperial Stout, of course any beers from Stone Brewing are always a welcome site.

Gusler, May 20, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

22 oz silkscreened bottle , dated Limited early 2006 release.
Pours a clear red , not much head.

Smells citrusy , sweet...grapefruit juice smell.

Taste starts bitter , with a floral bite. Alcohol presents itself , although not at all unpleasant. Some woodsy bourbon tones come through.

Mouthfeel is sharp , nicely carbonated.

I can imagine this beer increasing in drinkability after aging. I'll be buying the stock out , if any's left.

shroompod, Mar 22, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Happened to notice this is review #500 for me. Pours a full finger of yellow-tan head over a clear rust-colored liquid (has some red character, too). The beer holds some fine particulates and has three streamers racing to the top. Smells richly of caramel in a creamy, smooth, and wet sweet disposition. Hops are much less than I was expecting. Oranges with a hint of pine. Tastes wonderful. Wet sweet malty. Caramel, chocolate, biscuit. Leaves the mouth feeling like I've eaten cotton candy. Hops are gentle orange-like and mix with the alcohol such that I can't define a boundary between the two. Rough alcohol bite on the sides of my tongue. Not fusel, but grassy. It's well hidden by the malt, IMO. The aftertaste shows the alcohol stronger and serves to dry the experience. Thick mouthfeel is creamy smooth and modestly carbonated. Delicious. Buzz...yeah. Drinkable...yeah. I'd have another except i eager to keep the bottle in my cellar in my cellar

Honestly, I was reluctant to open a 2006 bottle this fresh. I find American BWines to be quite offensive when fresh...so much so that I tend to avoid the style altogether. This beer, however, was quite nice. Yet another fine offering from Stone. With this, I am convinced. There only only three breweries that have successfully transitioned to large micro brewery. Bell's, New Belgium, and Stone. My future dream is that, someday, these three breweries will be the 'big three' in America...displacing AB, Miller, and Coors.

mentor, Apr 02, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +6%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip, this is gorgeous garnet-amber with a big two fingers of off-white dense head and great retention for a barleywine with this much alcohol, nice looking lace left behind on the glass. Nose is interesting, with a slight herbal hoppyiness over a doughy malt with a slight bit of fig and dark fruit. Taste is more of the same, a sweet slightly caramael malt with raisins and fig flavors blending nicely with spicey bitter hops and a slight alcoholic finish. Full bodied and very smooth, almost creamy. Very nicely balanced and smooth drinking, and for the ABV this is absolutely evilly drinkable. Great barleywine from Stone.

cubedbee, Apr 22, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked up a couple of these at Bauer for an unbelievable cheap price...lets just say over $2 less than some other place I frequent.
Dark mahogany in color with 1/4 finger of bright white head...very little sporadic lacing remains.
Mellow in the nose...but filled with raisins, cherries, bubble gum and fruity hops.
Splendid flavor...enough sweetness to prove a malt bomb and fruity hops, just enough heat to feel the alcohol, but very well hidden for 11% plus.
Thick mouthfeel and the carbonation is fantastic for the style...bomber goes down too easy.
I remember someone stating how this year's offering was on tap at the release in NJ as "raw" and needing to cellar for a while...while I am sure this will be simply phenomenal with a year on it, it is so delicous right now.

warriorsoul, Apr 13, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a fairly thin orange, with a hint of red. about a 1/2 inch head in the snifter, but almost no head when poured in the goblet.

Strong nose of alcohol and hops (pretty much what i expect from a Stone brew).

Taste was different than i expected - very little hops, smooth creamy malts coated the palate. Tasted quite a bit of vanilla, which i think mixed well with the strong alcohol presence (the alcohol was weird - very mild up front, but quite strong in the aftertaste).

Fairly thin for a barleywine (others seem to have commented on this as well).

Fairly drinkable - especially for the style.

Not quite what i expected, but i really liked it nonetheless.

Lnedrive14, Aug 21, 2006

Yum yum.

Finally opened up my first bottle from the latest round of Old Guardians at poker the other night...

Pours a slightly viscous rich, bronze/amber with shiny copper tones. Head is a bit thin, but the lacing holds.

Gives off a faintly sweet aroma of brown sugar and malt, vague hints of sweet citrus fruit and vanilla, almost molasses, but nothing quite that rich.

Whoops! Strike the "nothing quite that rich," this baby packs a wallop! Alcohol is noticeable if not quite predominant in a delicious warmth. Hits with a burst of that brown sugar sweetness, vanilla is again noticeable, fruit notes seem more ripe fruit than citrus now. Which is a big leap, I know. What would be described as a bracing hop bitterness elsewhere really just barely starts to even things out on the back end. There's some citrus and spice to the bite, but it definitely doesn't leave one's mouth dry. No sickly sweetness left on the tongue, this definitely has you coming back for more. Feel is rich and incredibly smooth with just enough carbonation to liven up the party. Flat, and this wouldn't be suitable except in a port glass.

Another outstanding Stone creation.

errantnight, Aug 02, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Poors a nice amber, with a finger of quickly dispating head. Smell is very sweet, with a good hint alcohol, and a good amount of maltyness. Comes on with a strong sweet and almost fruity taste, which leads to a realy piny/citrusy hopyness. Pretty smooth and drinkable for a fairly fresh and green barleywine. Im overall very happy with this, and the other stone beers i now have avalible to me now that i work in Mass.

dickieb, Apr 17, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with a thick head that retains nicely and leaves a nice pattern of lace

Smell: Rich caramel aroma, with figs and vague hints of citrus fruit, much of which have long since faded

Taste: Rich caramel and fig spice cake flavor, with some developing bitterness that arrives by mid-palate; still the profile is dominated by the sweet elements; after the swallow, the bitter flavors become more balanced, with considerable citrusy bitterness, although there is plenty of residual caramel/fig sweetness on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; some warmth after the swallow

Drinkability: For those who like a balanced barleywine, as I do, this is drinking very nicely right now; a couple of years of aging have taken the edge off the hops but there is still aplenty to go around to balance the flavor profile

brentk56, Dec 28, 2008
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 from Stone Brewing Co.