Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: WebmasterMike on 03-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BradBLR

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

This is a good beer now, but will probably be a great beer om six months or a year+. Poured this beer into a nice pint glass, color was a deep amber color with a nice thick whitish yellow head. The smell was a light fruit aroma with a hint of alcohol.

Taste was a sharp bitter fruitish flavor, that was balanced nicely with a sweet malt and hops. There was a slight taste of alcohol, but I think it needs to sit longer. Mouthfeel was good, think like a barley wine should be.

Over all a good barley wine, that can give Sierra Nevade a run for it's money. Can't wait for next year's.

05-30-2006 19:00:39 | More by BradBLR
Gritsak

West Virginia

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

A- nice bright amber red color with a decent offwhite head that slowely dissapates into a thick film that laces down the glass.

S- malty sweetness, some citrus hop presence. also a slight alcohol aroma.

T- very well balanced. The initial taste is sweet from the malt and alcohol, but then the hops show through to even out the taste, but not dominate it like with some barleywines. The finish is very smooth and even.

M- medium to thick body, very lightly carbonated.

D- besides the light sweetness that the alcohol adds to the overall flavor, its suprisingly drinkable. the finish is so smooth and blanced that you dont even suspect this is over 11%.

overall- i hate to repeat what ive already said, but this is a very well balanced and smooth beer. It is totally different from bigfoot, which the hops are the dominate flavor.

Im not sure how well this would age either because it seems so balanced and smooth now.

03-25-2006 23:53:08 | More by Gritsak
unklesyd

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Whee-o! This is my new favorite BW.

I feel like I have an illogical/pathological dislike of Stone for some reason, and yet I love every one of their brews. Thus is my mindset going into this bottle.

I had this after a fairly rich dinner of whiskey/cream sauce flank steak and garlic/basil potatoes. I was ready for the onslaught of bombasticity that was expected from Stone. Agression! Hops! Mellowed tannins!

Instead, this beer is the epitome of balance in a Barleywine. I served it at about 55F, letting the second half of the serving warm. Initially, the sweetness of the carmel was fantastic. It came through in the aroma as well as subtlely in the flavor. It was noticable with deep sniffs that this was not by virtue of color/caramel malts, but rather the caramelization of sugars in the base malt, as the aroma came through as raw but not husky after about ten minutes of warming/acclimatizing.

As it warmed, the aroma came through as more alcoholic, but not astringent. A nice addition to the complexity.

Didn't leave the palate tired. Full body and flavor, but not stagnating or hebetudinous (I learned this from the Oregon spelling bee competition double elimination list, so don't read backward for spoilers if you're a spelling bee entusiast). Bravo!

03-18-2006 05:57:57 | More by unklesyd
ScottyC54

03-17-2012 16:59:05 | More by ScottyC54
gotbeer

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

This 2006 batch has really grown on me. I went from liking it to really, really liking it.

It pours a reddish orange with a white head. Little lacing. The smell is of molasses, ripe fruit, and in typical Stone fashion- a hint of citrus hops. Very nice.

The taste includes the prerequisite citric hops, but also a beautiful malt backbone. There is overly ripe fruit, molasses, sweet bread, and a little alcohol heat at the end. This is huge and complex on the palate.

The mouthfeel is chewy and it satisfies. Drinkability would have to be above average for the style.

Another great beer from Stone. I'm glad their new brewery has higher production. They will need it to satisfy my thirst for their products.

08-09-2006 01:30:43 | More by gotbeer
ChillMike

Alabama

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a beautiful amber-ish red with a hefty offwhite head that leaves nice lacing. Smell is of dough and fruit and not much of an alcohol smell (which is suprising seeing how it is 11.26%). Sweet taste that gives way to a bitterness that is pleasant with a noticeable presence of alcohol. Has sort of an oily feel to it. Definitely a sipper, and a one at a time kind of beer. Overall it’s pretty good, will be interesting to see how it tastes after being cellared for 6 months.

03-03-2006 04:47:12 | More by ChillMike
kdmorse

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: After a big of an overzealous pour (have been dealing with RIS’s and DIPA’s recently) ended up with 3+ fingers of creamy, tan head. Clear copper color with lighter hints at the edges.

S: Sweet caramel (and slightly fruity) smell. Hops are present but not pronounced.

T/M: Sweet and balanced taste. Very similar to the smell. Has a crisp, floral hop finish. Carbonation is a little much, but not out of line.

D: At the start the drinkability is great, but doesn’t last long. 22oz of 11.2% is more than enough for me.

03-05-2006 22:38:57 | More by kdmorse
jabocu

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a brown/orange color with a nice light tan two finger cap. Cap fell to 1/4 inch cap. Aroma is lots of fruity esters of apples, pears, plums, figs...etc. Notes of caramel, bread, alcohol, and slight old ale undertone. Flavor is very caramel sweet right at first, but breaks out into lots of fruit. Cinnamon and spice. Followed by a nice mellow citrus hopiness that hangs for just a few seconds. The alcohol is very warming. Body is Medium-High, with medium carbonation and finishes semi-dry. Excellent beer... and cannot wait to see what happens to this over the next year.

06-07-2006 23:14:13 | More by jabocu
Brewfan

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Early '06 release.
Poured into my Stone Old Guardian glass.

Quite a full cream colored head. Decent retention fades into long lasting pleasant lace.
Crystal clear dark amber color. No trace of cloudiness. No haze, no particles. Very clean.
Quite hoppy nose. Piney and alcoholic. Crisp apple peel aroma, bitter yet sweet. Not a huge nose.
Very hoppy on the tongue. My whole mouth is filled with the presence of hops. Tongue, roof, back of throat. Hops are everywhere. Maltyness comes through later but is definitely overpowered by the power of the hop cone. LOTS going on in this barleywine. Sweet, hoppy, bitter, malty. But in the end, the hops wins the battle.
Big, chewy mouthfeel. Had a tuna sammich on russian rye with this. Needed the food to "ease" the hoppy bite.

12-23-2006 06:06:30 | More by Brewfan
instrumentality

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I received this as a birthday gift in April, and the bottle says "Limited Early 2006 Release," so this beer must be about 8-10 months old at this point. I'm not an expert on aging, and I'm even less of an expert on patience when it comes to beer, so I may be making a huge mistake by cracking my one and only bottle of this stuff so soon, but I've become Stone's bitch over the past few months and tonight the gargoyle wants to have his way with me again so I must submit.

The brew poured a flawless transparent mahogany with minimal head that quickly dissolved to a thin, tan lace.

The odor was notably potent, a mix of sweet red wine and caramel with a spicy quality (ok, I'm not doing this one justice, but my sense of smell and spices still needs a lot of work). Suffice to say, it was enticing.

The first sip was equally rewarding. A bit of the burn of alcohol, but at 11.2% ABV, I expected much worse. The flavor was so intense I could taste it just by inhaling through my mouth before the liquid ever touched my taste buds. Aside from the alcohol, it had a bit of red wine flavor and the sweetness of caramel, along with a strong piney, hoppy quality I've grown to love about Stone's brews.

Mouthfeel was pretty impressive for such a strong beer. Although the alcohol burned going down and the hops were intense upon contacting my palate, the finish was remarkably clean with very little lingering aftertaste.

I know this beer is going to kick my ass with so much alcohol, but I could easily see myself making short work of it. I just need to remind myself that I only have one bottle, I don't know if/when I'll see it again, and it's damn good. If I see it again, I'm buying a case.

All this coming from someone who previously disliked and even feared barley wines. Either I've come a long way, or Stone just reinforced why they've quickly become my favorite brewery.

10-04-2006 01:35:25 | More by instrumentality
trancesk8er

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

07-08-2012 20:17:26 | More by trancesk8er
HoboAGoGo

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cue the Charleston Heston styled "oh, my, God."
Poured into the glass, she was a ruby colored beast with browny browniness. A pillowy head sat atop her that dissipated, as all heads are wont to do, unless you chug the beer, but I didn't. Smells of a deep, malty alcohol, warm, almost woody or grainy. Hops in the nose, pungent piny hops with some grassy tones. Taste was a deep, alcoholic warmth with a dark bread tastiness. Hops were prevelent, adding resin to the tongue.
She was a good brew, and as Charleston Heston said is probably every movie he was in, "oh, my, God."

03-10-2006 05:57:29 | More by HoboAGoGo
GolgiIPAratus

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Sampled: 4.9.06

The beer looks like bourbon of the darker golden brown variety. Only a slight foam head sits on top and leaves little to no lacing.

The aroma is of caramel and barley, pretty light though. It doesn’t pack a huge punch. What IS noticeable, however, is how UNnoticeable the alcohol is. Barely any, if at all. It’s seriously hidden, despite the beer not having a huge nose to begin with. As it warms, though, a graham cracker aroma starts to bloom. Bready and full.

The flavor is sweet caramel maltiness up front. Following suit from the nose, the alcohol is not very apparent. A nice bitterness balances out the finish, and it isn’t too sharp. It does leave an oily feeling. The mid to low carbed beer sits in the mouth just right, not too heavy, not too light.

Much easier than I’d figure a beer of 11+% ABV would be to drink, so this could be dangerous. It wasn’t my favorite Barleywine style, but definitely a good beer.

05-31-2006 17:27:55 | More by GolgiIPAratus
Med

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Color is very good. Caramel and very uniform. The only disappointment is the almost non-existent head (off-white) that disappeared quickly and no lacing.

S - Clean with no hint at the high alcohol.

T - Layers of flavor with an initial hoppiness quickly turning into a balanced sweetness hinting caramel. Fantastic.

M - Disappointing lack of bubbles, but a nice texture

D - This is an amazingly smooth beer, especially for the strength. I can't wait to see what more time will do to it!

02-24-2008 22:10:11 | More by Med
nflmvp

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured a slightly cloudy copper/orange with 2 inch eggshell foam head that diminished to a light ring with sticky lacing around the glass.

Smelled of sweet and heavy fruit with some alcohol presence.

Taste seemed a little green to me. It hit hard up front with hops but seemed more subdued throughout the glass....probably a more drinkable beer in a year or so but good enough right now.

Mouthfeel was thick andsolid with a nice little reminder of the ABV.

Drinkability is good but I would think a review in another year would reveal a more drinkable beer. I look forward to it.

07-24-2006 21:59:13 | More by nflmvp
bkett01

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Managed to hold onto this one for a year without drinking it somehow. It pours with a healthy tan head over a highly carbonated reddish/orange brew. It leaves a sticky lacing behind on the glass as it settles down.
Smell is a complex sweet aroma containing hints of dark fruits and alcohol. Taste is very sweet, and while the hop character has faded away over the year, we're still left with a very enjoyable well rounded barley wine. The sweetness is balanced out with a mild warming finish. Glad I held onto a couple of these, and looking forward to seeing how another 6 months changes my other one.

02-10-2007 03:07:46 | More by bkett01
BlackJeremiah

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

2006 edition, cellared roughly eight months, poured from a 22oz. bomber into an Old Guardian specialty glass.

A: Dark, browned copper color with a thin sheen of creamy head, more of a yarmulke than a top hat, that clears quickly.

S: Citrus, caramel, slight alcohol, hint of pine. The hop-derived scents and malt-derived scents are well-balanced and complementary. As it warmed, the alcohol definitely began to dominate the aroma.

T: Surprising amount of bitterness at the start, pine breath and citric bite. The sweet, creamy, malty middle is just wonderful; very rich and satisfying, almost hedonistic. Alcohol, not to be forgotten, asserts itself at the end, but gently. More hops than I smelled or expected. A decent amount of bitterness runs through the whole thing, grabbing your attention, mitigating the excess of that delicious midsection, then fading away with the alcohol. As it warmed, I got a bit of grapefruit and some sandalwood during the malty middle.

M: Smooth, thick, but not as cloying as some barleywines out there; it neither coats my palate, nor my taste buds. That being said, it's not insanely remarkable in this department, just a bit better than average.

D: As barleywines go, this one is pretty darn drinkable. It doesn't try to be too complex, so it doesn't lose any flavor nuances to the presence of the alcohol. The flavors are really nice, and I'm farther through the bomber than I expected, already.

09-26-2006 00:03:38 | More by BlackJeremiah
audiojon

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

I'm admittedly not a big fan of barley wines, but I picked this up at the Stone brewery this weekend due to its being a special release. Brought it back to a friend's place, where we proceeded to go to work. Appearance is great, nice copperish amber, smell was very pleasant, very sweet (as is to be expected). Taste was extremely sweet at first, but the back end had a nice hopped balance to it. I had a couple of glasses of this, as did my buddy, and promptly took a nap afterward. This is the exact reason I don't drink much barley wine, it seems to knock me for a loop even more than high gravity Belgians do. I would like to pick up a bottle of this for aging, as I'm sure it would benefit greatly from a couple of years in a cellar. Even still, it was very smooth, and the only thing limiting me from finishing the growler is the high ABV. Worth a try, but be prepared to get knocked on your ass.

Serving type: growler

03-12-2006 23:05:23 | More by audiojon
bearisprime

02-08-2012 22:44:50 | More by bearisprime
mitchfor3

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Ohhh yeahhh!

Better than Bigfoot and I love Bigfoot! Also, and excellent value at $4.50 a bomber, although admittedly not quite as good a value as Bigfoot at $10/sixer.

This one is great fresh - the hops are there, oh yes they are there, but by no means do they overpower and I think they are just right right now. I'm goign to put a bottle away and see how this drinks in a year, but I'd be surprised if it gets any better than it already is - but then again, who knows!

An outstanding barleywine with exception balance for the style. That 11% somehow flies under the radar and is in your face at the same time. Another great one from Stone!

04-30-2006 06:45:33 | More by mitchfor3
frothyhead

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

After a year and a half or so stored in a closet I decided to pour this one before it got too old.

Pours a cloudy amber/brown/red into a snifter with not much head to speak of. A little off-white ring around the glass. No lacing.

Nose is malty and boosy. Bready yeast, caramel, some apricot, a hint of chocolate. Smells more like an old ale than a barleywine.

Mouth is full bodied with minimal carbonation. Thick and velvety with an alcohol burn and dryness in the finish.

Taste is malty and straight up alcoholic. This one has a pretty rough burn. Some caramel, chocolate. Bready. Some bitter and citrusy hops in there, but I think they've faded quite a bit at this point or are at least overshadowed by the alcohol bite.

Drinkability takes a big hit as this is a serious sipper - the alcohol bite and lingering dry, bitter finish slow this one down quite a bit.

Overall I'm enjoying this but not as much as some nice fresh, hoppy barleywines I've had recently. This is my first Old Gaurdian, so I'll be interested in looking back on this when I crack a bottle of the 2008 I have in the fridge. There is something rather intangible about this 2006, though, that is going to make me inflate the scores ever so slightly. As it warms, the flavors are melding a bit and, even with all the strong flavors bursting about, it is balancing out in a way that makes it an enjoyable beer to drink.

04-17-2009 01:24:32 | More by frothyhead
Gilgemesh

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

At first this chilly companion hid behind it's crystal clear dark amber attire. Hiding the delicate beauty of it's bouquet. Then As I gently warmed it the complex malty aromas were released ands the undercurrent of alcohol was released. Pressing forward I take a tentative sip. Again I am wondering what all the hype was about when I am hit with a wave of malty smoothness. Intermingling with this tasty sweetness are bitter hops. Taunting your every taste bud as soon as the sweet is registered. The bitter finish is cut short by a blast of acohol that both cleanses and leaves one hoping that it will diminish with time. A sweet and bitter darling with suble fruit and a bit of sadistic joy describe this brew. And masochist that I am I drink again.

03-06-2009 23:39:51 | More by Gilgemesh
WaffleSauce

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Bomber from BevMo in San Diego. Greg’s gone crazy with this rant. . .it’s barely legible. . .

Pours into my trusty Stone pint glass. Loose-knit two-finger head, slightly caramel colored head. Flurry of bubbles swarms from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is close to Arrogant Bastards. . .but more subtle, and earthy. Malt dominated. Floral, earthy.

Very, very sweet caramel malt up front. Rolls into a warm alcohol at the back of the throat. A hint of hops, but nothing major. Alcohol isn’t at all overwhelming, in fact it’s superbly masked considering how much is in here. This is by far the most drinkable Stone special release I’ve ever had. Much more subtle and drinkable than its big-footed brethren, which in my humble opinion makes it much more appreciable.

I’ll look forward to trying these every so often over the next couple of years to see how they turn out. Very drinkable.

03-20-2006 04:17:53 | More by WaffleSauce
530veerguzzler

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

12-31-2011 04:29:36 | More by 530veerguzzler
kingchowchowwoof

Maine

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into an Old Guardian glass. Bright white 2 finger head, with lots of medium bubbles. Does not retain for too long but good lacing on the glass.
Smell has lots of date, blood orange, a bit of alcohol and finishes with a pine hop scent.

Taste has a lot of the same character as the smell, sweet raisins, and fig flavors. Dried fruit comes in next, followed by alcohol and the dry hoppy finish.

Leaves a tingly sensation on the tip of my tongue. Not very carbontated, slightly slick feeling. Pretty decent mouthfeel and fair drinkaility. I have another bottle I will late age. I am sure this stuff can only get even better with age. I was just glad to get my hands on some this year.

04-18-2006 04:04:22 | More by kingchowchowwoof
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 from Stone Brewing Co.