Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: WebmasterMike on 03-02-2006

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Striking screen print label explains Limited early 2006 release, 11.26% ABV with decorative fonts.

Pours with a light polished copper hue containing a few rising bubbles to a thick 1/2" solid island of spotty craggy beige coating. Some solid lace holds firm. A rather bright color for an American Barley wine.

Perky scents of caramel and hard candy malts with an impressive array of hop balance. Solid sturdy scents of beer ingreients that state bold sugar and malt bomb all the way. A tad of cherry fruit and bubble gum in the fruity mix of aromas.

First swigs: Rich sugar meld of hard sugar rock candy that just oozes clean American barley wine. Tricky flavor that would beguile the most discerning tastebuds. The hops create a swiggable big barleywine to crazy proportions. All the pear and apple fruit in the world is in here.

Feel is gentle with a subtle restrained carbonation. This one is ready to go! No cellaring needed. Gawd! Fresh barleywines can be awesome!

Last swigs: To assuage my personal tastes I'd pump a tad more malt backing along the lines of a SNBF and this is golden! It's tasty as it is.

Beer is good. Happy American barleywie beering. (1,182 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I received this as a birthday gift in April, and the bottle says "Limited Early 2006 Release," so this beer must be about 8-10 months old at this point. I'm not an expert on aging, and I'm even less of an expert on patience when it comes to beer, so I may be making a huge mistake by cracking my one and only bottle of this stuff so soon, but I've become Stone's bitch over the past few months and tonight the gargoyle wants to have his way with me again so I must submit.

The brew poured a flawless transparent mahogany with minimal head that quickly dissolved to a thin, tan lace.

The odor was notably potent, a mix of sweet red wine and caramel with a spicy quality (ok, I'm not doing this one justice, but my sense of smell and spices still needs a lot of work). Suffice to say, it was enticing.

The first sip was equally rewarding. A bit of the burn of alcohol, but at 11.2% ABV, I expected much worse. The flavor was so intense I could taste it just by inhaling through my mouth before the liquid ever touched my taste buds. Aside from the alcohol, it had a bit of red wine flavor and the sweetness of caramel, along with a strong piney, hoppy quality I've grown to love about Stone's brews.

Mouthfeel was pretty impressive for such a strong beer. Although the alcohol burned going down and the hops were intense upon contacting my palate, the finish was remarkably clean with very little lingering aftertaste.

I know this beer is going to kick my ass with so much alcohol, but I could easily see myself making short work of it. I just need to remind myself that I only have one bottle, I don't know if/when I'll see it again, and it's damn good. If I see it again, I'm buying a case.

All this coming from someone who previously disliked and even feared barley wines. Either I've come a long way, or Stone just reinforced why they've quickly become my favorite brewery. (1,893 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8%

22 oz silkscreened bottle , dated Limited early 2006 release.
Pours a clear red , not much head.

Smells citrusy , sweet...grapefruit juice smell.

Taste starts bitter , with a floral bite. Alcohol presents itself , although not at all unpleasant. Some woodsy bourbon tones come through.

Mouthfeel is sharp , nicely carbonated.

I can imagine this beer increasing in drinkability after aging. I'll be buying the stock out , if any's left. (450 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Holy moly, look what I found in the back of the closet cellar! Cool!

Oh yeah, pours a cascading hazy amber with a cascading tan head, plenty foamy even after 3 years and a whopping 11%+ Oily sheets of lace ripple around the Corsendonk tulip.

Classic, pure classic Barleywine aroma - sweet caramel malts back with the orange liquor. Progresses into the quaff nicely, add a bit of stinging alcohol and hop bite for an enjoyable Barleywine afternoon while March madness prevails. Finish has plenty of hops to balance with the initial sweetness.

A full bodied beer, to say the least. A true sipper, the hot alcohol is still there and biting me in the arse. (655 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

22oz. Bottle picked up from Table and Vine for 6.95.

From the first sips, it seems like it is worth every penny. This is one of those mystical beers that seems to rarely show up on the East Coast. Anyhow, as I was reading the label wafting cinnamon and warming fennels overcame me. Needless to say I stopped reading and started drinking. Mellow, mellow, mellow on the tongue. Not too spicy, not too numbing. Perfect.

At 11.20 this is obviously a bear- beware! This could quite possibly the easiest drinking high ABV beer I've ever had. Simply wonderful. This is one is definitely one for the cellar. (606 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Early Spring Release 2006
The beer upon the pour from the 22-ounce brown silk screened bottle is a clear burnished copper with a voluminous creamy light tan head that after erosion leaves a nice coating of lace upon the glass. Nose has a nice malt sweetness, hints of caramel, and oh yes a bit of fusel alcohol, and touch of hops me thinks, start is sweet, and the grain profile perfect and the top medium to full in feel to the palate. Finish has perfect carbonation, the delectable in their spiciness, nice bit of tummy warming, and the aftertaste dry. This beer has been a longtime favorite, and one I look for each year, along with the Imperial Stout, of course any beers from Stone Brewing are always a welcome site. (722 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

This year is my first in trying Barley Wines.
Ok...I like them...and enjoy the differences between them.
This old Guardian is surprisingly smooth...
Pours a med redish orange with a small head that ends up very fine lacing.
Aroma is only lightly hops....heavier on citrus and toasted malts.
Mouthfeel is pleasant with it's very fine carbonation.
Taste is slight orange....a little toasty...then nice hop bitterness ending in a grapefruit tang. Nice alcohol warming on the finish.
I enjoyed this one and was surprised at it's mild smoothness with no aging. I can definately drink this one "green" and will be interested in how it matures (If I can restrain myself enough to cellar some for a year. (703 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

Happened to notice this is review #500 for me. Pours a full finger of yellow-tan head over a clear rust-colored liquid (has some red character, too). The beer holds some fine particulates and has three streamers racing to the top. Smells richly of caramel in a creamy, smooth, and wet sweet disposition. Hops are much less than I was expecting. Oranges with a hint of pine. Tastes wonderful. Wet sweet malty. Caramel, chocolate, biscuit. Leaves the mouth feeling like I've eaten cotton candy. Hops are gentle orange-like and mix with the alcohol such that I can't define a boundary between the two. Rough alcohol bite on the sides of my tongue. Not fusel, but grassy. It's well hidden by the malt, IMO. The aftertaste shows the alcohol stronger and serves to dry the experience. Thick mouthfeel is creamy smooth and modestly carbonated. Delicious. Buzz...yeah. Drinkable...yeah. I'd have another except i eager to keep the bottle in my cellar in my cellar

Honestly, I was reluctant to open a 2006 bottle this fresh. I find American BWines to be quite offensive when fresh...so much so that I tend to avoid the style altogether. This beer, however, was quite nice. Yet another fine offering from Stone. With this, I am convinced. There only only three breweries that have successfully transitioned to large micro brewery. Bell's, New Belgium, and Stone. My future dream is that, someday, these three breweries will be the 'big three' in America...displacing AB, Miller, and Coors. (1,482 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip, this is gorgeous garnet-amber with a big two fingers of off-white dense head and great retention for a barleywine with this much alcohol, nice looking lace left behind on the glass. Nose is interesting, with a slight herbal hoppyiness over a doughy malt with a slight bit of fig and dark fruit. Taste is more of the same, a sweet slightly caramael malt with raisins and fig flavors blending nicely with spicey bitter hops and a slight alcoholic finish. Full bodied and very smooth, almost creamy. Very nicely balanced and smooth drinking, and for the ABV this is absolutely evilly drinkable. Great barleywine from Stone. (654 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

Yum yum.

Finally opened up my first bottle from the latest round of Old Guardians at poker the other night...

Pours a slightly viscous rich, bronze/amber with shiny copper tones. Head is a bit thin, but the lacing holds.

Gives off a faintly sweet aroma of brown sugar and malt, vague hints of sweet citrus fruit and vanilla, almost molasses, but nothing quite that rich.

Whoops! Strike the "nothing quite that rich," this baby packs a wallop! Alcohol is noticeable if not quite predominant in a delicious warmth. Hits with a burst of that brown sugar sweetness, vanilla is again noticeable, fruit notes seem more ripe fruit than citrus now. Which is a big leap, I know. What would be described as a bracing hop bitterness elsewhere really just barely starts to even things out on the back end. There's some citrus and spice to the bite, but it definitely doesn't leave one's mouth dry. No sickly sweetness left on the tongue, this definitely has you coming back for more. Feel is rich and incredibly smooth with just enough carbonation to liven up the party. Flat, and this wouldn't be suitable except in a port glass.

Another outstanding Stone creation. (1,170 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

Review # 666!
I decided for such a review I'd better not tempt fate in light of my usual luck, so I went for the protection that only a Stone gargoyle could provide from such potential bad mojo.

Big-ass silkscreened bomber that states it was an early 2006 release. Purchased for $4.99 at Daanen's in Hayden, Idaho (I think) around the time it was brand new.

Poured a hazy dark amber color that takes on a slightly brighter hue when held up to light. ¾ of an inch of bubbly beige foam sits on top initially, but rapidly recedes to a sudsy collar. Spotty lace.

Caramel tinged malts and spicy hops greet the nostrils. There's some citrusy and raisiny scents floating around as well.

Caramel sweetness is what first greets the tastebuds, but it's almost immediately paired with a spicy hop blast. I've heard that this is something of a hop monster when fresh. Over three years of aging has no doubt decreased the hop impact, but it's still present to a degree that melds well with the malts. There's some toasted malts and a mild flavor of dark fruit as well. A big dry note smacks the palate at the swallow. As this beer warms up, the belly finds itself being increasingly warmed by the growing booziness of the beer.

Relatively full bodied, with a sticky, resiny mouthfeel. The carbonation correctly keeps things from seeming too leaden.

A great nightcap beer to the point where I wished I'd saved it for such a use. It worked out well as a beer for post-work mellowing, however. I'll just have to put off making dinner until the buzz decreases! (1,552 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Picked up a couple of these at Bauer for an unbelievable cheap price...lets just say over $2 less than some other place I frequent.
Dark mahogany in color with 1/4 finger of bright white head...very little sporadic lacing remains.
Mellow in the nose...but filled with raisins, cherries, bubble gum and fruity hops.
Splendid flavor...enough sweetness to prove a malt bomb and fruity hops, just enough heat to feel the alcohol, but very well hidden for 11% plus.
Thick mouthfeel and the carbonation is fantastic for the style...bomber goes down too easy.
I remember someone stating how this year's offering was on tap at the release in NJ as "raw" and needing to cellar for a while...while I am sure this will be simply phenomenal with a year on it, it is so delicous right now. (781 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a fairly thin orange, with a hint of red. about a 1/2 inch head in the snifter, but almost no head when poured in the goblet.

Strong nose of alcohol and hops (pretty much what i expect from a Stone brew).

Taste was different than i expected - very little hops, smooth creamy malts coated the palate. Tasted quite a bit of vanilla, which i think mixed well with the strong alcohol presence (the alcohol was weird - very mild up front, but quite strong in the aftertaste).

Fairly thin for a barleywine (others seem to have commented on this as well).

Fairly drinkable - especially for the style.

Not quite what i expected, but i really liked it nonetheless. (680 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Poors a nice amber, with a finger of quickly dispating head. Smell is very sweet, with a good hint alcohol, and a good amount of maltyness. Comes on with a strong sweet and almost fruity taste, which leads to a realy piny/citrusy hopyness. Pretty smooth and drinkable for a fairly fresh and green barleywine. Im overall very happy with this, and the other stone beers i now have avalible to me now that i work in Mass. (418 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Dug up and old review of this one while going through notes. Sampled in October 2006.

Clear red/amber, very amazing colour, thick off white head, great lacing, great retention, very sticky. Smell is sweet, caramel, pine/floral, grains, signature Stone aroma, tons of caramelization, has smoothed out a bit. Taste is sweet and toffee, grains, nice hoppy balance through the middle, pine and floral, sticky toffee finish, pleasing bitterness. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation, very chewy, definately a sipper, but a world class barleywine. (553 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with a thick head that retains nicely and leaves a nice pattern of lace

Smell: Rich caramel aroma, with figs and vague hints of citrus fruit, much of which have long since faded

Taste: Rich caramel and fig spice cake flavor, with some developing bitterness that arrives by mid-palate; still the profile is dominated by the sweet elements; after the swallow, the bitter flavors become more balanced, with considerable citrusy bitterness, although there is plenty of residual caramel/fig sweetness on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; some warmth after the swallow

Drinkability: For those who like a balanced barleywine, as I do, this is drinking very nicely right now; a couple of years of aging have taken the edge off the hops but there is still aplenty to go around to balance the flavor profile (870 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy dark amber with a thin off-white head. Very nice malty aroma with some sweetness and orange peel noted as well. The flavor, in a word, is luscious. Superbly well balanced malt and hops with caramel and cognac also in the background. Wonderful, full mouthfeel with just the right viscocity. I did not find this beer aggressive in the least and the alcohol was incredibly well hidden. This is a finely crafted barley wine. (433 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a copper, brassish color with red hues when held up to the light. !/4" head recedes to a foam on the top. Lot's of carbonation bubbles rise. Thin spotty lacing.
S: As I open the bomber a whiff sound errupts and the aroma of heavy malts and cherries fill the room. Nice. Upon closer inspection the alcohol is noticable.
T: Starts off mild and sweet, the hops slowly start to appear. Piney, Earthy, maybe a little Citrus. Whew, I was beginning to wonder where the hops were. The hops gradually become more intense until they are attacking your palate like an DIPA. Once the hops are at full force wrecking havock on your taste buds the alcohol sweeps in all at once. You can continue to feel the alcoholic burn as you swallow. Once the Guardian reaches his destination(my belly), things calm down until next sip. The flavor is intense and complex. There is a lot happening in this brew.
M: If you like full bodied beer where the alcohol burns you throat and warms your belly then you will like this.
D: I like this brew, I like the flavor and feel of it. I still can only give it a 3 for drinkability. It is a very good barleywine, but I wouldn't call it a very drinkable one.
Overall yet another hit from Stone Brewing Co. (1,235 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

2006 Vintage , cellared about one year , opened 1/12/7 - 22 oz. bottle- color of murky honey , with a thin off white head - nose of dried apricots , deep red fruit , soy sauce , iodine , bitter , chocolate , and malt – taste of resin , honey , slight hopps , red fruit , brown sugar , and slight alcohol- body harsh but clean , and low carbonation – aftertaste of salty , honey , gummy , and bitter (400 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Bought this from a place I trust to keep beers well. Has probably been in the same refridgerator for about 6 months now, so it is ever so slightly aged.

Appearance: Pours a very similar color to Double Bastard - a dark, cider-like deep caramel mahogany. Head is barely existent, settling into a perma-lace around the circumference of my oversized wine glass. Lacing, like many of Stone's beers, is definitely there. A little spotty and transient, however, in this case.

Smell: Wow. Definitely a Barley Wine. My nose literally stings a little bit as I inhale - so, alcohol. Has that familiar "Stone" aroma up front as well - a sort of nutty funk probably a result of their one-of-a-kind yeast strain. Underneath the front end are sweet malts - a cashew-infused caramel, bread crust, caramel, sweetened chocolate, very, very piney and citrusey hops. Corn meal. Extremely strong, extremely complex. I could spend a few hours, probably, bringing out and isolating aromas from this thing, but it's just too daunting of a task.

|Taste: Nutty, bread, grapefruit peel, caramel, light pine, alcohol. Just slams your tongue into submission. Wow.

Mouthfeel: Hot, hot, hot. Extremely alcoholic. Moderately dry upon swallowing. A little light carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a barley wine. This is not meant for casual drinking, but a dedicated session. I am regretting, actually, having drank a Meantime India Pale Ale a few hours prior to this. It's a bit too much. But amazing, amazing stuff that you could pick apart for hours. (1,534 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a dark copper with a yellow-tan head that left good lacing about the glass. Mild carbonation.
The smell was decently typical for a Barleywine but well-balanced and pretty complex. Raisin, sweet malts, vanilla, caramel. Not too much of one thing.
The taste was a little heavy on the raisin at first, then gave hints of sweet and roasted malts, hops, dark fruits, vanilla, alcohol. As I said, well balanced and complex.
The mouthfeel was a bitter-sweet at first, with the rasisin and sweet malts, then faded into a nice dry feel that left a butter sensation on your tongue. Medium-bodied. Very nice.
One 1pt 9.6 oz bomber adn you're toast, so you gots to sip this beer. I recommend splitting it with a friend. Overall a great example of the style and another achievement for Stone. (791 characters)

2/19/2011

On tap at Stone apposed next to the 2011 vintage.

A: Hazy dark orange with a large yellowish white head. Good retention and scattered lacing.

S: Aromatic candied grapefruit with a rich caramel and toffee presence. Oxidation is graceful and complementary. Alcohol is well hidden. Gives the overall impression of malt richness and depth with an overtone of citrus and resinous hop aromatics. Very nice.

T: Sugary caramel with faint oxidation notes. Upper moderate bitterness with notes of pine and candied grapefruit. Somewhat boozy but there's a lot of flavor to overshadow that aspect. The finish displays an increase in bitterness with lingering caramel and grapefruit rind.

M: Upper medium in body with upper moderate carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel with alcohol warming and some astringency.

Overall: I'm sure this was cold stored, regardless, it has aged quite well.  (886 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A chalice as well for me.
I don't normally open a Guardian this young but we cracked one for Easter week-end. I have accouple to age as well up to a year. It will be nice to see this beer mature.
At a first pour, I was concerned, for there was no carbonation reaction and no head, just a oily ruby color. At a second pour, minutes later, the carbo-reaction was there, as well as a small but known tan head. This beer awoke.
The aroma was good but not overly strong.
The taste carried by the aroma welcome, was malted sweet alcohol. Fruits of grape, candied caramel and a known but background hop. Alcohol rounds out the taste as its strong but with a gentle side. At 11.2% it can sneak up on you for even at that strength, the beer is Very drinkable and easy on the mouth.
When you drink one of these, it helps you realize what a treat, as a BA, an annual special brew can be. Cheers!! (890 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber, Left a tan one finger head that recedes to surface skim, with not too much lacing. Body was an orange brown amber.

Smell - Competing rich bready malt, diacetyl, and esters. Dried dark fruits like dates, figs, raisins. Cinnamon sweet rolls, with dates and raisins. Some alcohol, but not as strong as abv would suggest. Hint of piney bitterness.

Taste - like the smell. Rich, thick bready malt. Lots of diacetyl. Esters. Caramel, dates, rasins, cinnamon sweet rolls, all washed with some alcohol astringency, but not nearly as high as abv would have it. Piney hop bitterness barely there, almost all but cancelled out by the heartiness of the malt. The hops on the other hand, mitigate the diacetyl to make the malt pleasantly caramelly sweet instead of overly overripe fruity sweet. Finishes with bready malt again, mild alcohol astringency. Aftertaste is hearty bread and longlasting with hint of lemony hops. Like I said before, high abv is very well hidden, and this is rich, hearty, and bold without being very alcoholic at all.

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, low carbonation. Somewhat chewy at times, slight alcohol astringency and burn with slight drying, but not really that much.

Drinkability - goes down well, and is deeply satisfying. But even though the alcohol is subdued in the taste, it is definitely present in its full potency nonetheless, that limits it to one bomber in any given session. (1,442 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a dark mahogany red with a big 2+ finger rocky tan head that was moderately lasting.

S: malty and dry with pine and dried grapefruit.

T: some dark caramel and dried fruit with some toffee sweetness. There was only slight alcohol hints and otherwise was hidden nicely. There was some dark molasses, rum raisin and a soothing dark roasted nature.

M: creamy and smooth with a full body. There is a slight stickiness from the sweet malt and hop resins.

D: An easy drinking and very enjoyable barley with a good complexity of dried fruit and Chinook hopping. (569 characters)

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 from Stone Brewing Co.