Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2001 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2001Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2001

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 03-13-2002)
3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

Christmas 2002 special release sampled from a 22 oz bottle.

Poured a burnished copper color for a nice thick head. Left a decent amount of lacing, but nothing to get excited about.

Aromas of estery alcohol, sweet cookies, grapes, barley, spice, and hops and then some more hops.

The back label says that this year they skipped the Tomahawk hops and used only Guardian hops. Well I had never experienced Warriar hops before and let me tell you they are fierce. The first taste is sweet with grapes, barley, and malt. Then the hops and the alcohol kick your teeth in. Completely unbalanced and a bit rough. The alcohol and hops just wreckshop in the mouth. It was good, but wild like an untamed horse. You could see the promise, but I knew this beast was too much for me. Maybe I'll try to ride it again in a few years when it has calmed a bit. Or maybe I'm not man enough for this brew.

Loki, Jul 01, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

12/02/06 Walk the Line Barleywine Festival, Dunedin, FL. 2001 vintage. The beer was an orange-ish color with an off white foam head. The aroma was light and consisted of pine hops and a light sweet maltiness. The flavor was really smooth. No sense of the ABV at all. The taste whisks you into a slippery slope of sweet caramel malts and slight dark fruitiness. What was once a sharp pine hop bitterness has mellowed to allow the sweeter pine hop flavor to come on out. Very nice. I wish I had the fore thought to let a couple of these '01 bombers age. I just drank as I bought 'em.

BigMcLargeHuge, Nov 17, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Presentation: ~10oz. from draught in a tulip glass at the Stone 12 event. Served a bit cold. Cost: $5.

Appearance: Very nice syrupy pour yielded a densely moussey head the color of marzipan, dissolving into a lasting, opaque film. The body was a mahogany-reddish color and appropriately cloudy (interestingly, the Double Bastard, Arrogant Bastard, and Old Guardian were very similar in color, varying by a shade or two). I was able to hold this to the daylight through the window.

Smell: The first notes were a fugue of hops, pine-tar, citrus fruit notes, and dark fruits. Backbeats of wood and nuts poke through the alcohol.

Taste: Surprisingly, this doesn’t assault the palate as expected, exhibiting some finesse. The rich, malty sweetness are cut with the characteristic Stone hoppiness, some tar, and a junipery note that ran through several of the samples that day. The sweetness is an alloy of malt, dark fruits like currant and raisin, and a toffee, caramel element. The age really allows these flavors to marry, taming the hops I think (I haven’t had “fresh” OG) and adding a nutty, woody undertone. Finish goes on forever, balanced between sweet and dry.

Mouthfeel: Subtle carbonation is present. Body is very full and viscous, providing an enjoyable chewiness.

Drinkability: I would have to rate this more on “savorability” rather than drinkability, as it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was sorry that I felt compelled to sample all of the other Stone brews, as I would be happy to slowly work my way through a few of these on a crisp evening.

Wow, aged Old Guardian on draught! I don’t think it gets much better than this. I would love to have the resources to set aside a keg of this for myself. Unfortunately, I don’t have the experience to compare this special sample against “regular” Old Guardian, but this was a truly great barley wine: complex, potent, savory, and satisfying. This beer only got better as it warmed in my hand. Maybe this is what Steely Dan meant when referring to “Grapefruit wine!”

Bottom Line: A truly special experience for which I’m glad I was present. Thanks Greg!

Dantes, Jun 19, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +10%

trancesk8er, Jun 09, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Blind Tiger in New York City.

Appearance: Opaque amber with thick tan head.

Smell: Sweet malt and slight citrus.

Taste: Very sweet malt flavor up front mixed with hop bitterness. Sour apple taste comes in next and then rolls back into the sweet malt flavor and hop bitterness flavors. Aftertaste is both sweet and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy with tingly light carbonation.

Drinkability: Very strong. A sipping beer.

Comments: Quite enjoyable. Very strong – started feeling the alcohol ½ way through my glass.

Denali, Mar 22, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle cellared since release date.

A big, powerful, and wonderful beer. Exceptional aroma and taste. Pours red/copper in color, with a thick, sizeable, cream colored head (with a hint of orange color to it). Smells quite bready, cookie-like perhaps. Malt dominates the aromas, but there is just the slightest hint of alcohol. The taste is initially sweet, malty, and floral. Caramel and doughnuts come to mind. There also a very subtle tea like flavor to it. Slight alcohol spiciness, but not as much as expected. Incredibly smooth and easy to drink.

philipt, May 13, 2003

Roth_Daddy, Aug 07, 2014
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2001 from Stone Brewing Co.