Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic AleStone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.66% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics, and twists and turns as the adventure unfolds. This bottle conditioned ale is chapter five, and is specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy it in a "vertical" tasting along with its ten Stone Vertical Epic Ale brethren. Each on unique to its year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plot line. Each one release one year, one month and one day from the previous year’s edition.

In this year’s edition, you’ll notice a deep, rich aroma of toasty malts, anise, Belgian yeast spiciness, and a hint of cedar. The toasty, dark and roasty malt flavors combine with a soft palate - courtesy of specialty dark wheat and barley malts. The body is fairly light for a beer with such a high gravity. There is a pleasant, lingering bitterness, so you know it’s part of the Stone family. This ale was brewed with a specialty Belgian yeast that we’re really liking here at Stone...it’s the same one we used for brewing the Stone 03.03.03 Vertical Epic Ale. And as with the Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale, all the spicy, deep, and wonderfully funky aromas and flavor characteristics in this beer come as a result of nothing more than malt, hops, water and yeast!

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.49/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The first in a Vertical Epic tasting - 06 to the 12 back to back, very awesome. Thanks to Cam for this one.

Dark brown body with some clarity there. Beige head is small but retains well.

Scent shows it age a bit, some oxidation and rustiness there, along with spice, yeast, dark fruits.

Taste is an improvement, there is some oxidation here as well but it doesn't really deter. Dark fruits, caramelly malts, musty Belgian yeast, spice, some licorice.

A thinnish mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Solid for the age.

A solid dark Belgian that had held up decently being close to 7 years old. Nothing groundbreaking here but good.

3.49/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4oz draft pour into a tulip glass.

A: Obsidian color with a thin mocha head.

S: A bit of plum and rum raisin in the nose, but smells were faint.

T: Lots of plum, raisin, fruit cake flavors, with the fruit sweetness being more apparent than spice.

M: Super juicy and sweet mouthfeel.

O: Not bad, but too much fruit juiciness and lacking in aromas and taste categories.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Brouwers on 12/12/12, review from notes.

A: Pours brown with a small off-white head with minimal retention and no lacing.

S: Some red wine like tannins, a bit of cinnamon, chocolate and peppers.

T: A good bit of smoke mixed with caramel, cinnamon, cocoa, and a little bit of dark fruit.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Not bad, but nothing special either. It was middle of the road in terms of my 3-12 rankings.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

22 ounce bottle found for less than five dollars at a little shop off the 15 freeway in Temecula called Old Town Liquor, had not seen this in stores for quite some time now, grabbed a few and this was my last bottle, poured into a thin 0.4L Stiegl glass

A-Deep dark brown tha has minimal light going through, 3/4 inch slightly creamy off white head, did not stay around for long, minimal retention, some small lacing

S-Aroma was pretty weak overall but I could smell a big roasted nuttiness, black cherries, wheat, candy, brown sugar, sweet malt, some bread too, and caramel

T-The initial roasty accents can almost pass for a porter at first, I wonder if age mellowed these out or intensified them, regardless they were strong and unique for a Belgian, some chewiness in the middle along with port and the cherries I could smell before, finish was a bit dry but also filled with nuts, mostly almonds and cashews, did not change much as it warmed other than the fact it got a little sweeter and the fruits were more noticeable, still some hops lying around in the aftertaste after two years of being in the bottle, nicely balanced and probably will only get better as the years go by

M-Roasty, somewhat sweet, and dry mouthfeel, lots of carbonation for the texture of this beer, medium to full bodied, a little thicker than expected, taste lingered nicely, still lively

D-Could have probably finished the bomber by myself if I forced the issue but a bit heavy, ABV is pretty strong at almost nine as well, smooth though and not too much booze detected

Not one of my favorite Vertical Epics but still good, it is hard to really distinguish what type of beer this has become with almost two years of age under its belt, still extremely roasty though, would drink again and probably will at a Winter Storm in upcoming years, recommended

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Very dark, almost black with dark ruby highlights towards the bottom of my snifter. Very thick light tan 3in. head disapating very slowly into a thin cramy head. Bits of lacing stick the the glass as I sip it down.

S: Prodominatly fruity with a slight bit of hoppy bitterness. Has the typical belgian smell.

T: Very interesting. Starts off kind of sweet and a little bit roasty. Midtaste has some clovelike spice while the alcohol becomes very apparent and even burns the tongue a bit. . Aftertaste is very bitter and lingers on for awhile.

M: Very thick and creamy with a fair amount of carbonation.

D: I've never really cared for any of the belgian stlye beers I've had, but this one was pleasent. It's something I would have again, but not something I would get very often. It's kind of hard for me to finish the whole thing.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Nice dark malty aroma with spicey notes like black pepper. Very fruity aroma that makes me think of plums. Puts me in the mind of Belgian Dubbels but a little less complex.

Deep ruby colored and clear when held up to bright light. Thin but persistant head leaving nice lacing behind.

Flavor is a little all over the place. I get lots of roast malt. Other sips I get fruity fermentation effects. Still other sips I get strong bittering hops. But none of it blends together. Each sip I find myself concentrating on one of these factors instead of perceiving them as part of a whole.

Full bodied with a little bit low carbonation. There's also an alchol warmth that gives away the strength of the beer.

I really do like the beer but it just seems kind of disjointed. Hopefully, with Stone's intention that this be aged, the bottles that I've layed down will develop more complexity and the flavors will meld better. It has potential but right now it drinks kind of "green."

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours into a goblet a clear, but dark, ruby mahogany body with a small beige head that quickly drops to a film. Some spotty lacing initially that totally disappears midway through the first pour.

Aroma is dominated by spicy anise and clove. Some burnt brown sugar and wheat malt notes are present, along with a solid dark fruit component that is mostly dried figs. Some fusel alcohol notes detract.

Mouthfeel is light medium bodied with some medicinal alcohol. Carbonation is subdued.

Taste is dominated by the spicy anise, with a spicy clove presence being equally annoying. Alcohol presence is fusel and medicinal. Some bitter hops give a nice cedar presence. Dark fruits are present, mostly figs. Some bitter, dark roasty malt notes emerge as it reaches room temperature. Overall, seems rough around the edges.

I'm not generally a fan of American brewed Belgian dark ales, and this one is no exception. Hopefully, this one will improve with age. As it is, my least favorite of the Vertical Epic series.

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Nearly black in color with light only shining through on the lighter, garnet colored edges. Dense light tan head left behind some nice lacing. Spicy scents of roasted malts, licorice, cloves, a bit smokey as well. Taste consists of dried dark fruit, coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Compared to the 05.05.05 I had before this, the 06.06.06 should get better with some time in the cellar.

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance:

Popped the cap on this vintage bottle that was a great extra from my buddy Greg. Slight amount of carbonation gas seeping out with not much of a hiss. Poured into my basic snifter and the colors comes off a deep ruby red / brownish that is surprisingly clear and some light is trying to poke through the other side. I was left with a half inch thick cream colored head that hung around for a while as I sipped away. As I give a small swirl the viscosity is medium leaving some legs on the walls.

Smell:

Lots of sweet brown sugar, burnt toffee,oxidation, some wet cardboard notes. Raisins, faint bananas, light chocolate, cranberries, some some yeasty phenolic undertones. Nothing to complex here pretty standard Belgian ale.

Taste:

Holding up better than I would have guessed, pretty thin on the mouthfeel, light carbonation, lots of plums and figs. Reminds me of a oatmeal raisin cookie, malty sweetness. cherries,rum, and no real hop presence. Very long dry finish. Not the best of the VE series but definitely not the worst.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

This is my least favorite of the vertical epics by far. That being said its still a decent beer, and hopefully it will get better.

Its also the darkest of the VEs. It is almost black in color with little or no light shinning through. There was some head when poured from the tap but it disapeared and left nothing behind. There were plenty of bubbles coming up though.

The smell was of dark malts and roasted malts as well as dark fruits. There was an odd flavor in there that I can't put my finger on. It might be some spice that they put in the beer.

The flavors didn't mix very well in my opinion but some of them were good individually. There were some dark malts in there and a little roasted malt. There was some fruitiness and I'm wondering if they dumped some dark candi sugar in there, I guess I could just go check the recipe online.

The beer had a medium/heavy body and was a little dry. That part was nice, I just wish I could have enjoyed actually drinking it more than I did.

3.24/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A. Poured into my VE glass this brew pours the darkest of the VEs so far, mahogany brown.
s. The aroma contains notes of cinnamon and figs with some brown sugar.
T. The flavor has hints of chocolate and coffee and dark maulty goodness.
Mf. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but smooth.
Overall not a bad beer, not as good as 05.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

I'm guessing this is one to lay down.

Pours mahogany to black with a .5" tan head.

Smell: Slight fruittyness, alcohol & yeast. Slight leather & wood notes

Taste: Slight sourness, yeast, raisins, slight chocolate notes in an unorganized mish-mash. Finishes with an alcohol burn & a yeast/bready twang, plus licorice

MF: Super chewy & slightly under carbonated

A chore to drink, maybe this will turn into a classic over time, not sure I can wait.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a deep rich chestnut color with a smaller light brown head that doesn't last long. No real lace on this one for me even with a strong pour.

Aroma is malty lots of caramel, liquorice loads of dark fruits plums, figs ect. a good supply of spice also.

Taste is lots of malt upfront moving to a liquorice flavor that starts out nice but seem to intensify thru out and on into the finish. Actually could go on and describe the fruit and nice spice but all in all it comes down to too much liquorice for me to see the attributes that might be present in this one.

Mouthfeel is a big medium good level of carbonation that gives it a slight touch of pep.

Drinkability is not good no real desire to have this one again. little to one sided toward the dark side for me black liquorice that is. Thanks to merlin48 for this bottle as I thought i needed to try it since I have had 03, 04, 05 anyone wanting to send me an 02 all you have to do is ask and I will accept it.

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle from John’s Market.

A: Dark mahogany bordering on black. Thick creme head. Nice lacing.

N: Anise, licorice, clove, some oxidation. Touch of esters and a hint of cocoa.

T: Oxidized, but it’s not over the top. Plenty of bitterness left and there’s a moderate touch of sweetness. Going slightly sour.

M: Medium body; slightly sticky. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: Has held up pretty well, all things considered. Drinkable with a nice Belgian influence

3.16/5  rDev -20.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a taster glass. Thanks again to Chris for sharing these!

(A)- Pours a near pitch black color. Some tan froth and lacing formed.

(S)- Kind of a dry, chalky roast to it, almost like coffee. . almost, but more in an herbal cocoa and raisin (if that makes any sense).

(T)- Lots of raisin, prune, and cocoa. Definitely the cocoa turns slightly more towards sweet chocolate as it warmed.

(M)- A good carbonation level. This has some nice richer elements to this. Still kind of chalky overall, but not as bothersome as some of the earlier vertical epics that I think were well past their prime.

(O)- This might be my favorite so far in the lineup. It still has a subtle richness to with that has not fallen off yet.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

On-tap at Alewife. I ran through the entire flight of Verticals, so this one will be a shorter.

A: The ale has a dark stout appearance with a thin tan head.

S: An unpleasant, buttery nose starts things off, very sweet with just enough sour mixed in. The darker aromas never get going, victims to what I'd call age.

T: The BSDA starts off with roasted malts and plenty of spicy sweetness. The buttery flavors, mildly sour, add a dry berry-like flavor that helps the ale improve (as compared to the nose).

M: The mouthfeel is sweet and berry-like, sweeter than any Belgian style stout I've come across.

D: My least favorite of the bunch, it seems like age has been unkind to VE 06.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

this has been sitting around since its release so i thought i would liberate it (don't worry there's another in the cellar

it's nicely carbonated, which maintains a thick head for sometime, and when it finally does descend the glass has a souvenir left along itself

the aroma is is of dark fruit, but clean. floral hops and some roastiness. it smells a bit like a baltic porter fermented cool with a belgian yeast. there's some spice in there, as well: coriander. and tastes exactly like a baltic porter fermented cool with a belgian yeast. more spice in the flavor as well, and it does dovetail fairly well with hop bitterness

in the end, though. it is a porter in a belgian's clothing. i don't have anything averse to that in and of itself, but this just doesn't seem too imaginitive. perhaps i'm being harsh...

3.08/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a pint glass on 9/22/07

A: Pours an opaque dark brown. 1/2 finger of head which quickly subsides.

S: Molasses, dark bread and not much more . I think this one is another victim of my warm cellar :(

T: Pretty tasty though. Alcohol taste is not subtle though. Red grape flavor quickly followed by a dry, woody, barrelly bitter flavor. Medium hop bitter aftertaste. Hops hover somewhere between an APA and an IPA. Dry, especially on the middle rear of my tongue. It seemed to be picking up flavors of things I was eating at the time: cucumbers, then raisins...

D: I couldn't finish one 22oz bottle

3.08/5  rDev -22.6%

In a pathetic attempt to begin to repay BAs OlieIPA, Mauerhan, and Aimstatus for the tremendous generosity that oozes from their pores, I decided to crack the last vestiges of my cellar and have a Vertical Epic 04-08 tasting one fine evening. Started with 08, then 07, and here we are....

Poured a dark opaque burgandy with a decent one finger head. Low on the retention.

Smell is slightly disappointing. Not that its bad, but because it isn't strong at all. Very weak. Within this weakness is a nice tea leave, tobacco leave over a soft mint.

Taste is meh. 'Nuff said.

Overall: why was I holding on to this?

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Let this baby age for nearly a year and I am not impressed with the way its coming out. This review is based on what it is currently is like.

A - Pours a very dark brown reddish color. The head is like a brownish eggshell color and mine did not make much of a head, like half inch but it does leave some nice lacing that mostly survives while you’re drinking it.

S - A strong alcohol small with slight spiciness, also a bright floral smell very faintly in the background.

T - Overwhelming alcohol taste. A very slight roastiness and graininess in the background. The aftertaste is a bit of that roastiness with just a hint of spicy hops. But the hot alcohol dominated.

M - It seems to have lost body with the time. It seems a little like a watery alcohol soup now.

D - As it is now I would not drink more then one bomber. It’s pretty strong too so I would go for something lighter after this.

I don't think it was stored improperly. I had it in a paper bag in a wine fridge that is always at 50 degrees and served it at this temp too. I liked this beer much more when it was fresh. I also had a bottle after 6 months of aging and even then it was not bad but for me this beer is just great when its fresh. This review is based on the bottle I just opened. If I had reviewed it fresh it would have gotten much better scores. Fresh it had a lot of flavor, you could really taste the wheat and an almost root beer like spiciness. That has faded considerably. I can't imagine another few years improving it honestly. I guess it depends on your taste but I did not like the bottle aged this long. Much better fresh, Since they posted the recipe on their site (thanks stone!) I will try to brew some on my own and enjoy it fresh.

Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.