Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic AleStone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.66% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2006

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics, and twists and turns as the adventure unfolds. This bottle conditioned ale is chapter five, and is specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy it in a "vertical" tasting along with its ten Stone Vertical Epic Ale brethren. Each on unique to its year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plot line. Each one release one year, one month and one day from the previous year’s edition.

In this year’s edition, you’ll notice a deep, rich aroma of toasty malts, anise, Belgian yeast spiciness, and a hint of cedar. The toasty, dark and roasty malt flavors combine with a soft palate - courtesy of specialty dark wheat and barley malts. The body is fairly light for a beer with such a high gravity. There is a pleasant, lingering bitterness, so you know it’s part of the Stone family. This ale was brewed with a specialty Belgian yeast that we’re really liking here at Stone...it’s the same one we used for brewing the Stone 03.03.03 Vertical Epic Ale. And as with the Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale, all the spicy, deep, and wonderfully funky aromas and flavor characteristics in this beer come as a result of nothing more than malt, hops, water and yeast!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Upon its release from the 22-ounce brown bottle the beer sets a deep incarnadine color, the head behemothic in size, light tan in color and semi-creamy in texture, the lace forms a thick and sticky sheet to hide the glass. Nose has a deep, rich malt sweetness, hints of aromatic spices dominate after resting a bit, a joy to this old schnozzle, start is sweet with a delightful grain presence, top is moderate in feel to the palate. Finish has a spiny acidity, the hops and spice quite flavorful, dry and long lasting after taste. One of the better verticals from Stone, and one that will age nicely.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to egajdzis for this...
Appears a dark brown with red hues around the edges. A nice light tan head slowly fades out and leaves streaks of lacing around the tulip glass.
Smell is of candy sugar, Belgian Chimay yeast, cocoa, light wood, mild caramel, light banana, and hints of fruit.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild smack of vanilla in there.
Mouthfeel is sugary, complex, and a bit yeasty.
This one will age well

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Really excited to have got this one; somehow missed out when it was released and have despaired ever since.

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown color. Can't see through it, but at the edges it appears clear. Minimal off-white head turns to a thin wispy film really quick.

Smell: Nice roasted malt aroma with hints of dark caramel or toffee. There's a hint of chocolate and also dark fruit like cherries and fig.

Taste: Has a strong yet delicate flavor. Lots of heavily roasted malts with hints of caramel or toffee sweetness and the figs (but very minimal). Not much other fruit until near the finish, when you've got some of the cherries (no tartness) and other things coming in. There's also some dark chocolate and hop bitterness coming in. The aftertaste has a pronounced "roasted" taste, combined with some of the bitterness. I have the impression of some alcohol at the finish and into the aftertaste, but it really never comes out.

Mouthfeel: There's some tingly carbonation at the start of each sip, but it goes away quick. Medium-bodied and really smooth. I think it is a bit light, but without approaching being watery or anything.

Drinkability: High alcohol content, but no real taste of it. Good flavors and keeps my interest.

Definitely the best of the four Vertical Epics I've now had the pleasure of enjoying, though last year's was nice as well. Flavor-wise I felt this had a lot in common with the Chimay Blue - that really came to mind while drinking this. However, they are of course certainly different too. I think I'll try and get a few more bottles of this and cellar them a bit longer!

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. bomber bottle with the usual Vertical Epic artwork silk screened right onto the bottle. If you're unfamiliar with the bottle the artwork has 06.06.06 in a circle on the front, definition of the word "epic," information about the whole series of Vertical Epics, and information about the 06.06.06. This will be my first Stone Vertical Epic.

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was what I thought to be jet black, but instead was actually a very dark brown hue with ruby highlights. I got just a little skim of bubbly foam that happened to be an off white color, almost tan in color. The head of foam seemed to dissipate away very fast into just a few rings and barely any lace around the glass.

Smell: It had a pleasant aroma of dark roasted malt, hint of coffee, pinch of chocolate, bitter hops, and all of these aromas were wrapped around many different varieties of fruits. There were so many different varieties of fruit that I can't write them all down.

Taste: The taste was very unusual to me. I use the word unusual in a good way. In this there was dark roasted malt, roasted coffee beans, chocolate, bitter hops, hint of yeast, alcohol, and large variety of fruits all wrapped into one big huge flavor ball. Again, like the smell, there were too many different types of fruits in here to list all of them. Not any one fruit stood out by itself. They all just came together to form this taste. As you can tell, I enjoyed this taste very much.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that this is medium bodied and it didn't have much carbonation to it. I should also mention that this beer is very sneaky because it was hard to taste and feel the 8.66%ABV.

Drinkability: I will have to get another bottle of this beer in the near future because it is really good. I liked how all the flavors were just rolled into one big huge taste.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours ruddy brown capped with three fingers of soapy tan foam leaving an awesome trail of lace in my Duvel tulip. Nose is bright and Belgian with hints of molasses, anise, apple-spiced yeast, as well as an occasional hint of alcohol.

Entry is quiet and mouthfeel is palate-pleasing, but a little slick. Midtaste brings the malts full force with a dry finish borne of nutmeg and cinnamon yeasties, black licorice, and even a hint of Mom's cedar chest.

The qualities of this brew multiply exponentially as room temperature is reached. Laying this down for a spell will no doubt round out the myriad of complex flavors...but I like these beers young so that individual components may still be recognized.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

The Blind Tiger, NYC, busted out an aged keg of this a few weeks back and I jumped at the opportunity...

Poured a deep dark murky brown into a tulip, with over a finger of khaki-colored head that laced very well. The aroma was a nice mixture of tart berry, lemon, molasses, brown sugar, and caramel. The taste was a sublime progression of maltiness, caramel, cranberry, and brown sugar, dissolving to molasses and caramel, and finishing on a tart note. The body was medium but creamy, and not overly carbonated. I loved this beer. I only wonder what it would taste like after further aging.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Color: Looks deep copper as it pours but pretty close to black in the glass, nice light brown head that clears away pretty quickly.

Aroma: Milky, floral, chocolatey, Coffeeish, Earthy & Spicey, Etc... It just keeps going.

Taste: Everything that the aroma indicates floods in along with an intense and dense fruitiness, then nuttiness then a slight dry bitterness. For me, it is the perfect balance of fruit and earth. I'm sure I'll pick up much more the next time I try it. There's so much going on here you can just pick your favorite flavors in advance and they are likely to be here.

Body: Medium

Other comments: It's sort of a Belgian stout. I've been waiting for this one since they started this series and I am not disappointed in the least. This is exactly my type of beer. Too bad I only bought 1 case. I hope I can get out into the civilized world and get more before it's all gone. Either way, I'll have a few bottles left for the big vertical tasting. This is by far the best VE in my opinion. It will be great in about 3 years. Am I gushing? Sorry, at least I can edit it later if I want to.

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

Roasted pecan brown that becomes dusky garnet with backlighting. I'm convinced that this is the darkest Vertical Epic Ale to be released so far. The golden brown sugar colored head is a thing of beauty. It looks good immediately after the pour and looks even better as it descends. Only a relative shortage of lace puts the brakes on my enthusiasm.

The nose is dark malty without being the least bit roasted. It's modestly tangy, like a quality weizenbock, with similar dark fruity esters (bruised banana and brown apple). There's a little clove, but not as much as expected. It would be nice if the Trappist yeast played a larger role in VE's nose.

My first mouthful tells me that the flavor score will be a close call between 'good' and 'very good'. I'm sure it will become obvious once I get half the bomber across my taste buds and into my belly. I'm pleased that the beer tastes much more authentically Belgian than it smells.

Complex isn't often a word that I use when describing an American-brewed BSDA (that isn't brewed by Allagash), but it definitely fits in this case. For a beer that doesn't use anything but malt, hops and yeast, that's quite the achievement. But then Stone is quite the brewery.

The flavor profile abounds with fruit and spice and much more besides. Let's see: chocolate covered bananas, dark toffee, light molasses, anise seed, sticky dates and ground cloves. What a delicious potpourri of complimentary flavors and flavor sensations (sweet, bitter and tangy). It's pretty obvious where the scores will fall and I haven't even reached mid-bomber yet.

As the beer warms I'm becoming more and more impressed with the yeastiness. If blinded, I would have bet a great deal that I was drinking a BSDA from Belgium itself. The ABV has to be a misprint because there's no trace of alcohol on the palate. My increasingly light head suggests otherwise.

I have no idea why Stone says 'the body is fairly light', although they do add 'for a beer with such a high gravity'. I'm finding it to be amazingly creamy with an expansiveness that few non-Belgians can manage. I would call it the highlight of this experience, but then this is an incredibly highlight-rich beer.

I would love to do a comparison tasting with Vertical Epic '05 and Vertical Epic '06, but I'm saving the single bottles that I have left for 2012. Maybe I should start buying three each year instead of two. In any case, those years are my favorites of this series so far and can easily give all but the very best Belgian BSDAs a run for their money. Epic indeed!

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stones take on a dubbel is well received, this is an "epic" brew that will only get better with age. Incredible dark brown pour, little light passes through this one. Poured down the center of my goblet the huge tan head fizzes for a while and ultimately vanishes save for a mild ring around the edge. The coolest visual is a trippy tan galaxy that appears while I swirl the glass. As it warmed up a bit the aroma really comes through: hearty malt with some wheat and also generous scents of dark fruit, black licorice, banana,clove, and star anise. Mouthfeel is rich and full nice light alcohol burn that evaporates. Flavor is outstanding touching on all of the flavors found in the aroma with a more prominant alcohol accent. There is also a nice smokey flavor that comes through really helping out with the malt and dark fruits. A familiar yeastiness is also tasted letting me know that this was carefully brewed by Stone. Great beer, I'm a touch sad that I missed the first handful of installments for the Vertical Epic Series, but be sure that I will not pass up the ones to come.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Brought back from PA by expatsteve. Much obliged.

Pour: porter black, thin with garnet highlights under a minimal khaki head fading to a skim.

Nose: roasted malts, gooey milk chocolate, smoked malts and dark fruit

Taste: roasted and smokey malts dominate the forepalate, milk chocolate follows with dark fruits and apple skins in the finish.

Feel: thick and silky, velvety carbonation, chewy and robust

Drinkability/Overall: Robust and chewy, smokey and complex. A belgianesque porter. Very tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Nice head and good retention

Smell is of roasted barley. Belgian funkiness comes out as the beer warms

Taste at first is stout like with a lot of roasted barley characteristic. Nice hop balance. Nicely balanced beer with faint belgian funk after wards. Belgian funkiness becomes much more pronounced as the beer warms. Tastes like a belgian RIS

Not hard to drink for an 8.86% abv dark belgian. I will cellar this and try it again in 09 or 10 and 12-12-12

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Gotta love the 666. It poured a dark rosewood color, with a fluffy white head that clung to the sides of the glass. In the smell were ripe, sweet dark fruits, a bit of coco, and the faintest presence of alcohol. Taste had more dark fruit, sweet caramel, and a lingering candy taste. Light in body, and light on the hops. This one shows signs of ageing well. The flavors are mellow, yet pronounced, and extremely tasty. It reminds me of the 03 alot. I could kill more then one bomber of this no problem. I can only imagine what a few more years of laying low would do to this beer. Maybe ill stick one in the basement for safe keeping. Well crafted brew. Cheers

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Nearly as black as the darkest stouts. Head is a carpet of neatly trimmed foam. Nose is full of cotton candy, bubblegum, molasses, pepper. Taste is almost exactly the same. Alcohol is completely disguised by the tasty flavors. Mouth is thick like a nice booty. I could absolutely drink a ton of this stuff. Unfortunately that won't be possible since this is a limited run. Stone, you are out of your minds if you never brew this great recipe again in the future. Damn good stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Deep rich brown in color, rich head leaves light cloudy lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast & spices. Actually burns the nose a bit, in a good way.

Taste: Starts out with the an ultra-creamy Belgian vibe, but gives way to more of the mocha characteristics of a porter. As the beer warms, it gets more complex, and I picked up on some anise and mocha flavors. After it warms to room temperature it takes on more of the dark fruitiness of a fine port. Yes, all of this works together. Really well.

Mouthfeel: A very pleasing challenge for the palate. Creamy, refreshing, toasty and beautifully bitter-dry at the end.

Drinkability: This will never, ever be mistook for O'Doul's. I had this for the first time at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, and loved it. This is my third time with this one, and I've got a couple more that I'm going to hold onto as long as I can. If you love complex beer that's palatable and can track this down, get it.

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer pours a brown so dark, it is almost black. The head is light brown. It looks thick and fluffy. It fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a strong bready aroma. It is also quite yeasty. It smells of cloves, and other spices. Grains of Paradise and coriander, and orange peal. This beer also has a plesent mild citrus hop aroma. A slight lemony aroma is present.

This beer has a lot of different flavors. It is taking me a little while to sort them all out. I taste some spices up front. As with the aroma, cloves, and coriander. It has a slight bubblegum flavor. It has an earthy yeast flavor to it as well. Citrus hop flavors are also detectable.

This beer is very smooth. It leaves a bubblegum like aftertaste. This beer is well carbonated.

I think, despite the slightly high alcohol content, that this beer might make a good session beer. It tastes very good, and the flavor is mild enough to not get cloying. I am anxious to see what a few years will do to this one.

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a black-amberwith a one finger tan head that melted slowly to thik sticky lacing.
Aroma is sweet....roasted dark malts, ripe banana, dark fruits, heavy spices like cloves, and a hint of pine or spruce.
Taste is thick sweet prune juice initially followed with a roasty malt flavor then raisins and dark fruits with over-ripe banana at the end. Again, a slight pine in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is really rich and creamy.
Aftertaste is ripe banana and dark fruits.

Very enjoyable brew that is still a little rough around the edges but will balance nicely in time...enough so that I am going to buy a case for cellaring. I mention banana a lot in my review but it is a dark over-ripe banana that melds beautifully with the other dark fruit and roasted flavors. A lot of reviewers are calling this bubblegum, but to me it is much warmer and softer than bubblegum. The spruce and spice presence I sense reminds me of a Christmas dubbel begium beer.
I like it and the slow warming alcohol is making me like this more and more.
Revisit Aug 25th...
Not that much cellaring, I agree, but flavors are mellowing and blending incredibly well.
"Belgium" aspects are much more apparent this time around.
Aroma is still distinctively alcohol based, however the flavors have really balanced and blended to the point where the alcohol is definately secondary...maybe even 'thirdendary'.
Good stuff...I'm buying more to cellar for later...and later...and later.
This might be worth buying a bottle a week and just hiding it.

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

Licorice black with a medium cap of dirty frappuccino brown frothy foam. Intricate lacing in inky stretched and straggly strings.

Aroma is a bit light at first but agreeably grows and becomes nice to partake in the nose as its a bit like a fresh poppyseed muffin and some black malt mixed with black licorice, anise, cinnamon, dark sugary sweetness and some dark, herbal, spicy yeast.

Taste is one complex, tender display of leveled tastes and mixtures of dark spicy fun stuff. A ride of intricate little nuances of spices, dark, dryish malt, and sweet dark sugars really balance out and make for a pleasureable, palateable treat. The flavors aren't overly intense here, it all seems very well placed and perfectly displayed as it tugs here, pulls there; leaves here, enters there. A fun dance of flavors that are bready, sweet, dark, yeasty, and spicy. I find it to be quite nice. Perhaps not as bold or in your face as other Stone brews, but definately well crafted in the nature of what has become the growth of Stone's own brewing palate.
As in the smell, many alluring complexities await the spicy realm of dark yeasty breads with anise, clove, cinnamon, black licorice, dry black malt, rye, poppyseed, and pale woodyness. A wonderful palate full of dark spicey fun, and balanced in with with a uniquely tender little undertow of dark sugary sweetness. Oh my...

A treat to behold, no doubt; yes, sure, it's not quite the brute you'd think it would be, but in a way it has it's edge. Edge enough for me to absolutely drink the hell out of this beer. The medium, low set carbonation and smoother, dark malten body ooze an easy goin' flow. Yet the active spice and yeasty parts pep it up to the point of total balance and control. Plus the finish has some great little blackened banana, coffee, black malt dryness that is remarkably satisfying to the palate as it finishes slightly dry and powdery.

06.06.06 is one to savor in, even given it's impressively easy drinkability. 8.6%? I'm sure it's there somewhere waiting...but undetectable in most regards until the first bomber is nearly emptied. A very finely crafted brew by Stone. A true treat that I may need to seek more of...

My undisputed thanks goes to cvshaller for the chance to embark on more Stone superbness!!

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

This beer has aged well. It's mellowed out significantly - drinkability is high. It has a malty taste at first, with very little carbonation at this point. There's some interesting bitterness in the finish. Overall, an above-average BSDA. Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Yet another exceptional brew from Stone. I wanted to age this for a few months, but didn't have the patience.

Poured a dark brown color with subtle crimson & ruby colored hues simmering at the bottom of my goblet. A soft, light brown colored head developed and dissipated quickly leaving just a tiny cushion of foam and considerable lacing. Aromas of figs, plums, dates, alcohol, toasted bread, and burnt sugar seemed to come out; very nice. The flavors were right on with juicy fruit flavors mixing effortlessly with the sweet malt backbone. Dried fruits flavors seemed to lead into a candy-like finish that was both semi-sweet and bitter. A touch of hops added depth and balance. Smooth, rich, and slightly creamy, this beer was easy to sip. A great example of the style from one of the best breweries around. I can't even imagine how this will taste after a few months/years!

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a 0.5L Duvel tulip.

A: Nice billowing head; stay for awhile and fades into beautiful lacing on top. Body is barely garnet around the edges, otherwise opaque. Lacing on the sides is good too.

S: Smell heavy of fruit, mainly citrus, but some sweet dark ones in the background. The smell knocked me out when i first poured it, but it seems to be fading now.

T: A wonderful smokiness and underlying dark fruit flavors. It has really come together while maintaining complexity.

M: Really smooth, carbonation is right where I want it.

D: I can't put this one down, though the high abv might make me pay later, but I can't taste it as much as when this was fresh.

It is really exciting to see this one age.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Seen for 4 dollars, which i think is a hook-up so I purchased two. If I really like this, I will go back for more. The 2nd bottle won't be opened for 6 months to a year.

appearance: poured into a carnival cruise ship coctail glass tulip shaped thingy. looked pretty good for a beligan style beer. and it does. huge insane head, staying for 5 mins, and forming amazing looking lace. damn, i don't know how much the glass is to blame, think a skinny duvel glass. the beer itself is a solid dark black. no light. i'm very into it.

smell: hints of chocolate, licorice, mild yeast, more chocolate. so far, very different from a standard beligian dark, as much a strong porter as that. very promising, quite complex and nice.

taste: damn that's tasty. not nearly as belgian tasting as I was expecting, more belgian inspired. damn, this is a unique brew. First taste is pure liqorice. I find the beer quite dry, not sweet as some reviewers mentioned. None of the sweetness of the smell. It's got a pretty strong bitterness, (this is stone), which I suppose is almost too strong right now. this will mellow out with age for sure, although i'm digging this now. no booze to be found. the aftertaste brings out some coffee and chocolate. fucking nice.

mouthfeel: nice and light, making for a good drinking time. some sugar was used, making for a very light mouthfeel.

drinkability: i'm enjoying sip after sip. uh, 4 bucks a bottle, i'm gonna go get at least 3 to 4 more, this is seriously very,very good. this "one off release" blows 9 out of 10 west coast attempts at a dark beligian style out the water. honenstly, to me it's more of a porter mixed with dark beligian, but it is truly one of a kind.

verdict: snag up several bottles now.

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

A- Dark burgundy,copper, mahogany. Held up to light.... barely pierces through. Nice tan thin bubbly, creamy head.

S- Cocoa, dark fruits, carmelized sugar

T-Tasty caramel, smokey wood, raisiny, figgy cocoa.

M- Smooth, medium bodied with great fine carbonation. Love it.

D- I haven't had this one in a while and it has turned into something better than I remember. excellant.

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Amazingly deep brown colored body with deep garnet hues when held in light. A third of an inch beige colored head quickly faded. Too dark to notice and carbonation rising. Light lacing ribbons.

Super dark malt aroma. Fruit qualities of raisins, blackberries, and red grapes. An overall spiciness also has hints of a nice alcohol content. In the finish there is a slight hint of burnt butterscotch.

Crisp spicy flavor leaves a nice variety of flavors battling on the tongue. Sweet malt and and the flavor of dark berries are foremost. Secondary flavors include roasted caramel, burnt coffee, and even a very faint pineapple presence.

Thickness on the tongue is exceptional. Almost no carbonation feeling but plenty of buzz from the spice. Taste cling to every mouth surface.

Excellent beer. This is the perfect choice to enjoy with a filet mignon at a great steak house. This was so good at 7 months that I doubt it can wait until the end of the series to become any better. A must try for every palate.

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

By far the best of the vertical epics I've had. I dimly remember this beer at the time of the release, but it certainly wasn't as good as it is now. It gives me hope for the series, as I found the 07, 08, and 09 to be ... varying ... in quality.

Pours a beautiful, walnut-y golden brown. Thin off white foam head that quickly dies down to the merest crust.

Smells like Belgian candi, a whiff of vanilla, caramel dark fruit-ed malt, and a faint, faint tinge of spices ... something exotic. Cloves and banana, perhaps?

Taste is really quite nice. Frankly, one of the better straight-up Belgian ales I've had in quite some time. Exotic mixture of dark fruit, caramel, toffee, sweet brown sugar and spices. A hint of vanilla and maybe ... chocolate? Some rum in there, too. Also some banana to give it a tropical undercurrent.

Mouthfeel is acceptable, though given the abundance of flavors, I expected it to be a bit thicker. I am really surprised by how much I am digging this. Not merely the class of the Vertical Epic series, but one of the best Belgian Ales I can remember.

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Large, typical Stone bottle, pours dark, ruddy brown, fine dark tan head, robust figgy, raisin, dark chocolate nose. Leaving scattered lacing and pleanty of intricate sheeting. Bold and flavorful, full bodied, complex heady brew. Notes of more smokey dark chocolate, raisins, sweet malts. This is ungodly smooth and long lasting on the taste buds. This is yet another spot on, home run for Stone. I'll try to age a few of these but it wont be easy, cuz this is drinking so well right now. World class and Stone all the way.

Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.