Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic AleStone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.66% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics, and twists and turns as the adventure unfolds. This bottle conditioned ale is chapter five, and is specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy it in a "vertical" tasting along with its ten Stone Vertical Epic Ale brethren. Each on unique to its year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plot line. Each one release one year, one month and one day from the previous year’s edition.

In this year’s edition, you’ll notice a deep, rich aroma of toasty malts, anise, Belgian yeast spiciness, and a hint of cedar. The toasty, dark and roasty malt flavors combine with a soft palate - courtesy of specialty dark wheat and barley malts. The body is fairly light for a beer with such a high gravity. There is a pleasant, lingering bitterness, so you know it’s part of the Stone family. This ale was brewed with a specialty Belgian yeast that we’re really liking here at Stone...it’s the same one we used for brewing the Stone 03.03.03 Vertical Epic Ale. And as with the Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale, all the spicy, deep, and wonderfully funky aromas and flavor characteristics in this beer come as a result of nothing more than malt, hops, water and yeast!

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
OStrungT

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer pours a brown so dark, it is almost black. The head is light brown. It looks thick and fluffy. It fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a strong bready aroma. It is also quite yeasty. It smells of cloves, and other spices. Grains of Paradise and coriander, and orange peal. This beer also has a plesent mild citrus hop aroma. A slight lemony aroma is present.

This beer has a lot of different flavors. It is taking me a little while to sort them all out. I taste some spices up front. As with the aroma, cloves, and coriander. It has a slight bubblegum flavor. It has an earthy yeast flavor to it as well. Citrus hop flavors are also detectable.

This beer is very smooth. It leaves a bubblegum like aftertaste. This beer is well carbonated.

I think, despite the slightly high alcohol content, that this beer might make a good session beer. It tastes very good, and the flavor is mild enough to not get cloying. I am anxious to see what a few years will do to this one.

06-10-2006 03:03:08 | More by OStrungT
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Brought back from PA by expatsteve. Much obliged.

Pour: porter black, thin with garnet highlights under a minimal khaki head fading to a skim.

Nose: roasted malts, gooey milk chocolate, smoked malts and dark fruit

Taste: roasted and smokey malts dominate the forepalate, milk chocolate follows with dark fruits and apple skins in the finish.

Feel: thick and silky, velvety carbonation, chewy and robust

Drinkability/Overall: Robust and chewy, smokey and complex. A belgianesque porter. Very tasty.

06-02-2007 23:55:46 | More by Golden2wenty1
jasonjlewis

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Nice head and good retention

Smell is of roasted barley. Belgian funkiness comes out as the beer warms

Taste at first is stout like with a lot of roasted barley characteristic. Nice hop balance. Nicely balanced beer with faint belgian funk after wards. Belgian funkiness becomes much more pronounced as the beer warms. Tastes like a belgian RIS

Not hard to drink for an 8.86% abv dark belgian. I will cellar this and try it again in 09 or 10 and 12-12-12

09-17-2007 04:44:17 | More by jasonjlewis
jamie2dope

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Gotta love the 666. It poured a dark rosewood color, with a fluffy white head that clung to the sides of the glass. In the smell were ripe, sweet dark fruits, a bit of coco, and the faintest presence of alcohol. Taste had more dark fruit, sweet caramel, and a lingering candy taste. Light in body, and light on the hops. This one shows signs of ageing well. The flavors are mellow, yet pronounced, and extremely tasty. It reminds me of the 03 alot. I could kill more then one bomber of this no problem. I can only imagine what a few more years of laying low would do to this beer. Maybe ill stick one in the basement for safe keeping. Well crafted brew. Cheers

04-25-2007 00:01:50 | More by jamie2dope
xymyl

Arizona

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Color: Looks deep copper as it pours but pretty close to black in the glass, nice light brown head that clears away pretty quickly.

Aroma: Milky, floral, chocolatey, Coffeeish, Earthy & Spicey, Etc... It just keeps going.

Taste: Everything that the aroma indicates floods in along with an intense and dense fruitiness, then nuttiness then a slight dry bitterness. For me, it is the perfect balance of fruit and earth. I'm sure I'll pick up much more the next time I try it. There's so much going on here you can just pick your favorite flavors in advance and they are likely to be here.

Body: Medium

Other comments: It's sort of a Belgian stout. I've been waiting for this one since they started this series and I am not disappointed in the least. This is exactly my type of beer. Too bad I only bought 1 case. I hope I can get out into the civilized world and get more before it's all gone. Either way, I'll have a few bottles left for the big vertical tasting. This is by far the best VE in my opinion. It will be great in about 3 years. Am I gushing? Sorry, at least I can edit it later if I want to.

07-21-2006 07:04:53 | More by xymyl
TheBungyo

Washington

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Nearly as black as the darkest stouts. Head is a carpet of neatly trimmed foam. Nose is full of cotton candy, bubblegum, molasses, pepper. Taste is almost exactly the same. Alcohol is completely disguised by the tasty flavors. Mouth is thick like a nice booty. I could absolutely drink a ton of this stuff. Unfortunately that won't be possible since this is a limited run. Stone, you are out of your minds if you never brew this great recipe again in the future. Damn good stuff.

06-12-2006 00:07:38 | More by TheBungyo
jeffjfindley

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Deep rich brown in color, rich head leaves light cloudy lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast & spices. Actually burns the nose a bit, in a good way.

Taste: Starts out with the an ultra-creamy Belgian vibe, but gives way to more of the mocha characteristics of a porter. As the beer warms, it gets more complex, and I picked up on some anise and mocha flavors. After it warms to room temperature it takes on more of the dark fruitiness of a fine port. Yes, all of this works together. Really well.

Mouthfeel: A very pleasing challenge for the palate. Creamy, refreshing, toasty and beautifully bitter-dry at the end.

Drinkability: This will never, ever be mistook for O'Doul's. I had this for the first time at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, and loved it. This is my third time with this one, and I've got a couple more that I'm going to hold onto as long as I can. If you love complex beer that's palatable and can track this down, get it.

11-04-2006 04:31:22 | More by jeffjfindley
BuckeyeNation

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Roasted pecan brown that becomes dusky garnet with backlighting. I'm convinced that this is the darkest Vertical Epic Ale to be released so far. The golden brown sugar colored head is a thing of beauty. It looks good immediately after the pour and looks even better as it descends. Only a relative shortage of lace puts the brakes on my enthusiasm.

The nose is dark malty without being the least bit roasted. It's modestly tangy, like a quality weizenbock, with similar dark fruity esters (bruised banana and brown apple). There's a little clove, but not as much as expected. It would be nice if the Trappist yeast played a larger role in VE's nose.

My first mouthful tells me that the flavor score will be a close call between 'good' and 'very good'. I'm sure it will become obvious once I get half the bomber across my taste buds and into my belly. I'm pleased that the beer tastes much more authentically Belgian than it smells.

Complex isn't often a word that I use when describing an American-brewed BSDA (that isn't brewed by Allagash), but it definitely fits in this case. For a beer that doesn't use anything but malt, hops and yeast, that's quite the achievement. But then Stone is quite the brewery.

The flavor profile abounds with fruit and spice and much more besides. Let's see: chocolate covered bananas, dark toffee, light molasses, anise seed, sticky dates and ground cloves. What a delicious potpourri of complimentary flavors and flavor sensations (sweet, bitter and tangy). It's pretty obvious where the scores will fall and I haven't even reached mid-bomber yet.

As the beer warms I'm becoming more and more impressed with the yeastiness. If blinded, I would have bet a great deal that I was drinking a BSDA from Belgium itself. The ABV has to be a misprint because there's no trace of alcohol on the palate. My increasingly light head suggests otherwise.

I have no idea why Stone says 'the body is fairly light', although they do add 'for a beer with such a high gravity'. I'm finding it to be amazingly creamy with an expansiveness that few non-Belgians can manage. I would call it the highlight of this experience, but then this is an incredibly highlight-rich beer.

I would love to do a comparison tasting with Vertical Epic '05 and Vertical Epic '06, but I'm saving the single bottles that I have left for 2012. Maybe I should start buying three each year instead of two. In any case, those years are my favorites of this series so far and can easily give all but the very best Belgian BSDAs a run for their money. Epic indeed!

06-22-2007 15:54:44 | More by BuckeyeNation
jono0101

Missouri

06-01-2013 22:47:39 | More by jono0101
IntriqKen

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a black-amberwith a one finger tan head that melted slowly to thik sticky lacing.
Aroma is sweet....roasted dark malts, ripe banana, dark fruits, heavy spices like cloves, and a hint of pine or spruce.
Taste is thick sweet prune juice initially followed with a roasty malt flavor then raisins and dark fruits with over-ripe banana at the end. Again, a slight pine in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is really rich and creamy.
Aftertaste is ripe banana and dark fruits.

Very enjoyable brew that is still a little rough around the edges but will balance nicely in time...enough so that I am going to buy a case for cellaring. I mention banana a lot in my review but it is a dark over-ripe banana that melds beautifully with the other dark fruit and roasted flavors. A lot of reviewers are calling this bubblegum, but to me it is much warmer and softer than bubblegum. The spruce and spice presence I sense reminds me of a Christmas dubbel begium beer.
I like it and the slow warming alcohol is making me like this more and more.
***
Revisit Aug 25th...
Not that much cellaring, I agree, but flavors are mellowing and blending incredibly well.
"Belgium" aspects are much more apparent this time around.
Aroma is still distinctively alcohol based, however the flavors have really balanced and blended to the point where the alcohol is definately secondary...maybe even 'thirdendary'.
Good stuff...I'm buying more to cellar for later...and later...and later.
This might be worth buying a bottle a week and just hiding it.

06-16-2006 02:56:20 | More by IntriqKen

mhaugo

12-20-2012 01:45:02 | More by mhaugo
tavernjef

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Licorice black with a medium cap of dirty frappuccino brown frothy foam. Intricate lacing in inky stretched and straggly strings.

Aroma is a bit light at first but agreeably grows and becomes nice to partake in the nose as its a bit like a fresh poppyseed muffin and some black malt mixed with black licorice, anise, cinnamon, dark sugary sweetness and some dark, herbal, spicy yeast.

Taste is one complex, tender display of leveled tastes and mixtures of dark spicy fun stuff. A ride of intricate little nuances of spices, dark, dryish malt, and sweet dark sugars really balance out and make for a pleasureable, palateable treat. The flavors aren't overly intense here, it all seems very well placed and perfectly displayed as it tugs here, pulls there; leaves here, enters there. A fun dance of flavors that are bready, sweet, dark, yeasty, and spicy. I find it to be quite nice. Perhaps not as bold or in your face as other Stone brews, but definately well crafted in the nature of what has become the growth of Stone's own brewing palate.
As in the smell, many alluring complexities await the spicy realm of dark yeasty breads with anise, clove, cinnamon, black licorice, dry black malt, rye, poppyseed, and pale woodyness. A wonderful palate full of dark spicey fun, and balanced in with with a uniquely tender little undertow of dark sugary sweetness. Oh my...

A treat to behold, no doubt; yes, sure, it's not quite the brute you'd think it would be, but in a way it has it's edge. Edge enough for me to absolutely drink the hell out of this beer. The medium, low set carbonation and smoother, dark malten body ooze an easy goin' flow. Yet the active spice and yeasty parts pep it up to the point of total balance and control. Plus the finish has some great little blackened banana, coffee, black malt dryness that is remarkably satisfying to the palate as it finishes slightly dry and powdery.

06.06.06 is one to savor in, even given it's impressively easy drinkability. 8.6%? I'm sure it's there somewhere waiting...but undetectable in most regards until the first bomber is nearly emptied. A very finely crafted brew by Stone. A true treat that I may need to seek more of...

My undisputed thanks goes to cvshaller for the chance to embark on more Stone superbness!!

09-01-2006 02:24:36 | More by tavernjef

Bolivia

02-05-2012 02:13:29 | More by RyanGoodman
51mmz0rz

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a 0.5L Duvel tulip.

A: Nice billowing head; stay for awhile and fades into beautiful lacing on top. Body is barely garnet around the edges, otherwise opaque. Lacing on the sides is good too.

S: Smell heavy of fruit, mainly citrus, but some sweet dark ones in the background. The smell knocked me out when i first poured it, but it seems to be fading now.

T: A wonderful smokiness and underlying dark fruit flavors. It has really come together while maintaining complexity.

M: Really smooth, carbonation is right where I want it.

D: I can't put this one down, though the high abv might make me pay later, but I can't taste it as much as when this was fresh.

It is really exciting to see this one age.

02-24-2007 03:19:23 | More by 51mmz0rz
bluesplit63

Connecticut

12-17-2012 16:31:01 | More by bluesplit63
Iowacraft

01-12-2014 19:05:06 | More by Iowacraft
Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.