Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic AleStone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.66% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics, and twists and turns as the adventure unfolds. This bottle conditioned ale is chapter five, and is specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy it in a "vertical" tasting along with its ten Stone Vertical Epic Ale brethren. Each on unique to its year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plot line. Each one release one year, one month and one day from the previous year’s edition.

In this year’s edition, you’ll notice a deep, rich aroma of toasty malts, anise, Belgian yeast spiciness, and a hint of cedar. The toasty, dark and roasty malt flavors combine with a soft palate - courtesy of specialty dark wheat and barley malts. The body is fairly light for a beer with such a high gravity. There is a pleasant, lingering bitterness, so you know it’s part of the Stone family. This ale was brewed with a specialty Belgian yeast that we’re really liking here at Stone...it’s the same one we used for brewing the Stone 03.03.03 Vertical Epic Ale. And as with the Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale, all the spicy, deep, and wonderfully funky aromas and flavor characteristics in this beer come as a result of nothing more than malt, hops, water and yeast!

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer pours a brown so dark, it is almost black. The head is light brown. It looks thick and fluffy. It fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a strong bready aroma. It is also quite yeasty. It smells of cloves, and other spices. Grains of Paradise and coriander, and orange peal. This beer also has a plesent mild citrus hop aroma. A slight lemony aroma is present.

This beer has a lot of different flavors. It is taking me a little while to sort them all out. I taste some spices up front. As with the aroma, cloves, and coriander. It has a slight bubblegum flavor. It has an earthy yeast flavor to it as well. Citrus hop flavors are also detectable.

This beer is very smooth. It leaves a bubblegum like aftertaste. This beer is well carbonated.

I think, despite the slightly high alcohol content, that this beer might make a good session beer. It tastes very good, and the flavor is mild enough to not get cloying. I am anxious to see what a few years will do to this one.

OStrungT, Jun 10, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Brought back from PA by expatsteve. Much obliged.

Pour: porter black, thin with garnet highlights under a minimal khaki head fading to a skim.

Nose: roasted malts, gooey milk chocolate, smoked malts and dark fruit

Taste: roasted and smokey malts dominate the forepalate, milk chocolate follows with dark fruits and apple skins in the finish.

Feel: thick and silky, velvety carbonation, chewy and robust

Drinkability/Overall: Robust and chewy, smokey and complex. A belgianesque porter. Very tasty.

Golden2wenty1, Jun 03, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Nice head and good retention

Smell is of roasted barley. Belgian funkiness comes out as the beer warms

Taste at first is stout like with a lot of roasted barley characteristic. Nice hop balance. Nicely balanced beer with faint belgian funk after wards. Belgian funkiness becomes much more pronounced as the beer warms. Tastes like a belgian RIS

Not hard to drink for an 8.86% abv dark belgian. I will cellar this and try it again in 09 or 10 and 12-12-12

jasonjlewis, Sep 17, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Gotta love the 666. It poured a dark rosewood color, with a fluffy white head that clung to the sides of the glass. In the smell were ripe, sweet dark fruits, a bit of coco, and the faintest presence of alcohol. Taste had more dark fruit, sweet caramel, and a lingering candy taste. Light in body, and light on the hops. This one shows signs of ageing well. The flavors are mellow, yet pronounced, and extremely tasty. It reminds me of the 03 alot. I could kill more then one bomber of this no problem. I can only imagine what a few more years of laying low would do to this beer. Maybe ill stick one in the basement for safe keeping. Well crafted brew. Cheers

jamie2dope, Apr 25, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Color: Looks deep copper as it pours but pretty close to black in the glass, nice light brown head that clears away pretty quickly.

Aroma: Milky, floral, chocolatey, Coffeeish, Earthy & Spicey, Etc... It just keeps going.

Taste: Everything that the aroma indicates floods in along with an intense and dense fruitiness, then nuttiness then a slight dry bitterness. For me, it is the perfect balance of fruit and earth. I'm sure I'll pick up much more the next time I try it. There's so much going on here you can just pick your favorite flavors in advance and they are likely to be here.

Body: Medium

Other comments: It's sort of a Belgian stout. I've been waiting for this one since they started this series and I am not disappointed in the least. This is exactly my type of beer. Too bad I only bought 1 case. I hope I can get out into the civilized world and get more before it's all gone. Either way, I'll have a few bottles left for the big vertical tasting. This is by far the best VE in my opinion. It will be great in about 3 years. Am I gushing? Sorry, at least I can edit it later if I want to.

xymyl, Jul 21, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Nearly as black as the darkest stouts. Head is a carpet of neatly trimmed foam. Nose is full of cotton candy, bubblegum, molasses, pepper. Taste is almost exactly the same. Alcohol is completely disguised by the tasty flavors. Mouth is thick like a nice booty. I could absolutely drink a ton of this stuff. Unfortunately that won't be possible since this is a limited run. Stone, you are out of your minds if you never brew this great recipe again in the future. Damn good stuff.

TheBungyo, Jun 12, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Deep rich brown in color, rich head leaves light cloudy lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast & spices. Actually burns the nose a bit, in a good way.

Taste: Starts out with the an ultra-creamy Belgian vibe, but gives way to more of the mocha characteristics of a porter. As the beer warms, it gets more complex, and I picked up on some anise and mocha flavors. After it warms to room temperature it takes on more of the dark fruitiness of a fine port. Yes, all of this works together. Really well.

Mouthfeel: A very pleasing challenge for the palate. Creamy, refreshing, toasty and beautifully bitter-dry at the end.

Drinkability: This will never, ever be mistook for O'Doul's. I had this for the first time at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, and loved it. This is my third time with this one, and I've got a couple more that I'm going to hold onto as long as I can. If you love complex beer that's palatable and can track this down, get it.

jeffjfindley, Nov 04, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Roasted pecan brown that becomes dusky garnet with backlighting. I'm convinced that this is the darkest Vertical Epic Ale to be released so far. The golden brown sugar colored head is a thing of beauty. It looks good immediately after the pour and looks even better as it descends. Only a relative shortage of lace puts the brakes on my enthusiasm.

The nose is dark malty without being the least bit roasted. It's modestly tangy, like a quality weizenbock, with similar dark fruity esters (bruised banana and brown apple). There's a little clove, but not as much as expected. It would be nice if the Trappist yeast played a larger role in VE's nose.

My first mouthful tells me that the flavor score will be a close call between 'good' and 'very good'. I'm sure it will become obvious once I get half the bomber across my taste buds and into my belly. I'm pleased that the beer tastes much more authentically Belgian than it smells.

Complex isn't often a word that I use when describing an American-brewed BSDA (that isn't brewed by Allagash), but it definitely fits in this case. For a beer that doesn't use anything but malt, hops and yeast, that's quite the achievement. But then Stone is quite the brewery.

The flavor profile abounds with fruit and spice and much more besides. Let's see: chocolate covered bananas, dark toffee, light molasses, anise seed, sticky dates and ground cloves. What a delicious potpourri of complimentary flavors and flavor sensations (sweet, bitter and tangy). It's pretty obvious where the scores will fall and I haven't even reached mid-bomber yet.

As the beer warms I'm becoming more and more impressed with the yeastiness. If blinded, I would have bet a great deal that I was drinking a BSDA from Belgium itself. The ABV has to be a misprint because there's no trace of alcohol on the palate. My increasingly light head suggests otherwise.

I have no idea why Stone says 'the body is fairly light', although they do add 'for a beer with such a high gravity'. I'm finding it to be amazingly creamy with an expansiveness that few non-Belgians can manage. I would call it the highlight of this experience, but then this is an incredibly highlight-rich beer.

I would love to do a comparison tasting with Vertical Epic '05 and Vertical Epic '06, but I'm saving the single bottles that I have left for 2012. Maybe I should start buying three each year instead of two. In any case, those years are my favorites of this series so far and can easily give all but the very best Belgian BSDAs a run for their money. Epic indeed!

BuckeyeNation, Jun 22, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

The Blind Tiger, NYC, busted out an aged keg of this a few weeks back and I jumped at the opportunity...

Poured a deep dark murky brown into a tulip, with over a finger of khaki-colored head that laced very well. The aroma was a nice mixture of tart berry, lemon, molasses, brown sugar, and caramel. The taste was a sublime progression of maltiness, caramel, cranberry, and brown sugar, dissolving to molasses and caramel, and finishing on a tart note. The body was medium but creamy, and not overly carbonated. I loved this beer. I only wonder what it would taste like after further aging.

donniecuffs, Dec 07, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stones take on a dubbel is well received, this is an "epic" brew that will only get better with age. Incredible dark brown pour, little light passes through this one. Poured down the center of my goblet the huge tan head fizzes for a while and ultimately vanishes save for a mild ring around the edge. The coolest visual is a trippy tan galaxy that appears while I swirl the glass. As it warmed up a bit the aroma really comes through: hearty malt with some wheat and also generous scents of dark fruit, black licorice, banana,clove, and star anise. Mouthfeel is rich and full nice light alcohol burn that evaporates. Flavor is outstanding touching on all of the flavors found in the aroma with a more prominant alcohol accent. There is also a nice smokey flavor that comes through really helping out with the malt and dark fruits. A familiar yeastiness is also tasted letting me know that this was carefully brewed by Stone. Great beer, I'm a touch sad that I missed the first handful of installments for the Vertical Epic Series, but be sure that I will not pass up the ones to come.

kinger, Oct 29, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Upon its release from the 22-ounce brown bottle the beer sets a deep incarnadine color, the head behemothic in size, light tan in color and semi-creamy in texture, the lace forms a thick and sticky sheet to hide the glass. Nose has a deep, rich malt sweetness, hints of aromatic spices dominate after resting a bit, a joy to this old schnozzle, start is sweet with a delightful grain presence, top is moderate in feel to the palate. Finish has a spiny acidity, the hops and spice quite flavorful, dry and long lasting after taste. One of the better verticals from Stone, and one that will age nicely.

Gusler, Jul 09, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to egajdzis for this...
Appears a dark brown with red hues around the edges. A nice light tan head slowly fades out and leaves streaks of lacing around the tulip glass.
Smell is of candy sugar, Belgian Chimay yeast, cocoa, light wood, mild caramel, light banana, and hints of fruit.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild smack of vanilla in there.
Mouthfeel is sugary, complex, and a bit yeasty.
This one will age well

weeare138, Jun 14, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Really excited to have got this one; somehow missed out when it was released and have despaired ever since.

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown color. Can't see through it, but at the edges it appears clear. Minimal off-white head turns to a thin wispy film really quick.

Smell: Nice roasted malt aroma with hints of dark caramel or toffee. There's a hint of chocolate and also dark fruit like cherries and fig.

Taste: Has a strong yet delicate flavor. Lots of heavily roasted malts with hints of caramel or toffee sweetness and the figs (but very minimal). Not much other fruit until near the finish, when you've got some of the cherries (no tartness) and other things coming in. There's also some dark chocolate and hop bitterness coming in. The aftertaste has a pronounced "roasted" taste, combined with some of the bitterness. I have the impression of some alcohol at the finish and into the aftertaste, but it really never comes out.

Mouthfeel: There's some tingly carbonation at the start of each sip, but it goes away quick. Medium-bodied and really smooth. I think it is a bit light, but without approaching being watery or anything.

Drinkability: High alcohol content, but no real taste of it. Good flavors and keeps my interest.

Definitely the best of the four Vertical Epics I've now had the pleasure of enjoying, though last year's was nice as well. Flavor-wise I felt this had a lot in common with the Chimay Blue - that really came to mind while drinking this. However, they are of course certainly different too. I think I'll try and get a few more bottles of this and cellar them a bit longer!

mithrascruor, Jun 13, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. bomber bottle with the usual Vertical Epic artwork silk screened right onto the bottle. If you're unfamiliar with the bottle the artwork has 06.06.06 in a circle on the front, definition of the word "epic," information about the whole series of Vertical Epics, and information about the 06.06.06. This will be my first Stone Vertical Epic.

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was what I thought to be jet black, but instead was actually a very dark brown hue with ruby highlights. I got just a little skim of bubbly foam that happened to be an off white color, almost tan in color. The head of foam seemed to dissipate away very fast into just a few rings and barely any lace around the glass.

Smell: It had a pleasant aroma of dark roasted malt, hint of coffee, pinch of chocolate, bitter hops, and all of these aromas were wrapped around many different varieties of fruits. There were so many different varieties of fruit that I can't write them all down.

Taste: The taste was very unusual to me. I use the word unusual in a good way. In this there was dark roasted malt, roasted coffee beans, chocolate, bitter hops, hint of yeast, alcohol, and large variety of fruits all wrapped into one big huge flavor ball. Again, like the smell, there were too many different types of fruits in here to list all of them. Not any one fruit stood out by itself. They all just came together to form this taste. As you can tell, I enjoyed this taste very much.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that this is medium bodied and it didn't have much carbonation to it. I should also mention that this beer is very sneaky because it was hard to taste and feel the 8.66%ABV.

Drinkability: I will have to get another bottle of this beer in the near future because it is really good. I liked how all the flavors were just rolled into one big huge taste.

AltBock, Aug 20, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours ruddy brown capped with three fingers of soapy tan foam leaving an awesome trail of lace in my Duvel tulip. Nose is bright and Belgian with hints of molasses, anise, apple-spiced yeast, as well as an occasional hint of alcohol.

Entry is quiet and mouthfeel is palate-pleasing, but a little slick. Midtaste brings the malts full force with a dry finish borne of nutmeg and cinnamon yeasties, black licorice, and even a hint of Mom's cedar chest.

The qualities of this brew multiply exponentially as room temperature is reached. Laying this down for a spell will no doubt round out the myriad of complex flavors...but I like these beers young so that individual components may still be recognized.

IceAce, Jun 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

a-pours a suddy one finger head that becomes a light coat on the top of the beer, which fades into a swirl of tiny white bubbles. held a mag light up to it and it was a beautiful deep ruby red!

s-lots of yeasty/bready notes that dominate, but has a nice bit of plum, and rich candi sugar epervesence.

t-huge amounts of sun dried raisen, yeasties, spice, malt, the list goes on, its a very complicated beer.

m-very warm, solid heavy bodied beer with lots of hard spices.

d-not available enough to drink very much of. im getting one more 06 in the mail and thats being saved till 2012

slayer3604, Oct 02, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Vicious mohagany black color. Opaque in the middle, transparent on the sides. Full creamy tan head holds solidly. Moderate lacing. Very fruity in particular plummy aroma. Dark raisins and yeast sorround. Almost a German type yeast flavor with banana/clove and some bubblegum in there. More plums/raisins in the taste. Dark chocolate comes in waves on top. A bit of spice toward the middle. More of a Belgian yeast taste as compared to the German yeast aroma. Hop bitterness comes forth mid-finish. An herbal character is in there slightly. Finish is chocolate cherry liquerish. Long smooth with a touch of burn in the belly. This is nice. Really, really intense in flavor but nothing is too overwhelming imo. A must try.

granger10, Aug 24, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Decided to try one of three I have (had). The other two will have to sit for a few years...

Wow! What a beer... This was excellent. I have the 03 - 06. And while I haven't tried the 04 and 05, I have tried the 03, and this was similar to that beer.

But the 06 is a darker "version". Very dark brown in color, not as dark as a porter or a stout, but certainly brown. It has the spicy yeasty taste, in addition to very prominant alcohol flavors and a very sweet almost raisin bread like quality from the malts.

This is really good, and will certainly be better in a few years.

flexabull, Aug 07, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

purchased in june, consumed in june. fresh.

pours a dark mass into my allagash tulip. bright sun behind it draws out some reddish chestnutty highlights in the narrower part of the glass. velvety rootbeer head vanishes quick but leaves behind a tight thin layer.. much like the cascading, thick lace when i turn my glass.

aroma is a nice balance of darker wheat maltiness and fruity belgian esters. the wheat is more pronounced, and at times this beer (especially with warmth) smells like a weizenbock. but then you have some cherry compote and brown burnt sugar in there that echo flanders. interesting.

first sip brings joy to my senses.. this beer is great! don't get me wrong, i expected decent, but i haven't orgasmed over any of the vertical epics so far. this one is easily the best of the bunch. dry nuttiness with hints of wine-like tart yeast. finish draws out some more belgian dark fruit character, but doesn't overbear the drinker with sweetness. after drinking the adirondack abbey ale from new york, i am impressed to have found two beers in a row that allow the consumer to enjoy rich belgian flavors without any of the heavy candi sugar presence or an excess of phenolics. i keep sipping this, and for 8.6%, it goes down wicked easy.

this is a perfect belgian for slight experimentation on a summer day as i find it strangely refreshing in its crispness. i'm not sure how this one will age though.. doesn't seem like it has the juice to turn into anything but a mess. we'll see, won't we, in 2012.

goodbyeohio, Jun 29, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a practically opaque black color (in fact you can only see its true color if you hold it up to a strong light, in which case you can see that it is a very deep reddish amber). The head is about three fingers this, creamy, and rocky. Its color is a light tan and it retains decent, settling at a half finger cap of creamy foam. Excellent, thick lacing all the way down.

Smell - Slighty bitter but mainly fruity/floral hops on the nose. Clove, annis, and black pepper spiciness can be smelled. Rich and hearty bready malt character finishes it up. Smells like a delicious Belgian!

Taste - Rich bready malt character with fruity/floral hops up front. Sweet/sugary fruits can be tasted such as fig, raisins, plum, etc. (dark, ripe variety). The spice is again clove and the black pepper is stronger than in the smell, while the annis is hard to pick out. The alcohol really shows in the middle, creating a warming and spicy feeling in your mouth as you quaff this stuff (the raisin flavor really shines here). The finish has some fruity sourness from the hops, paired with a very rich (almost roasted) malt character. A wet aftertaste consisting of medium earthiness, dying fruitiness, and some very tasting spiciness.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with an excellent level of carbonation; not too much, not too little.

Drinkability - Very good, with its only drawback being the quite noticeable alcohol presense, especially smack in the middle of a taste. I personally enjoyed this warming/spicy effect, but many will probably find it somewhat unpleasant.

A superb belgian-style brew from Stone. These guys really know what they're doing as far as I'm concerned. This stuff is just as good as some of the best Belgians, in my opinion. Rich, velvety, spicy, and full of strong flavors. Highly recommended.

dblinkhorn, Oct 02, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Being the Devil's ale, or even just that of the Roman Emperor Nero Claudius Caesar (in reference to 6-6-6), this isn't really that scary. In fact, it's kind of sweet.

It pours a very dark, almost-black mahogany body beneath a full-sized head of dark-tan foam. The retention could be a bit better, and the lacing as well, but it still holds pretty well and leaves some nice lacing about the glass.

The nose is yeasty with lots of banana and clove. Brown sugar and mild malt appear as well. Only a touch of alcohol appears to be present.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with some added chocolate malt that helps to ground it; a nip of spicy/floral hops; some peppery yeastiness; and a touch of warming alcohol.

It's smooth and lightly creamy in the mouth with a medium-full body and moderate carbonation.

The flavor mimics the aroma, but with a touch less more banana and more brown sugar.

Very nice! I think this might be the best of the Vertical Epic Series that I've tried so far.

NeroFiddled, Jul 16, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

This offering pours a dark brown almost black with a thick tan head that leaves this brew quickly. The nose is strong plum, figs, prune, dark chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, wheat, just lots of sweetness in the nose. The taste starts mildly bitter with a grapefruit crack of bitterness, this is very interesting....it feels like a fruity Belgian beer combined with west coast pungent hops finished with a porter's roasted barley like quality. The taste continues with a prune sweetness that is balanced by a citrus rind bitterness. The alcohal is minimal this is a quality brew that will def become more complex with age.

Franchise, Aug 18, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours black and shows its reddish hue when held to the light. Creamy tan head. Malty molasses nose with a hop pungency. Right away your detect its alcoholic potency. Bitter hop bite match with malt characters of espresso, licorice, and cocoa pungency. Acidic and floral tanginess are left in the finish. Thick body but a surprisingly watery mouth. As it warms the mouth becomes more sticky and viscous, while the alcohol mellows giving way to more malt notes of raisons and caramel. Even further it develops a tart sourness like a grand cru. Very, very nice... can't wait for 12/12/12!

cabsandking, Sep 08, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Ah yes, the annual VE. Always good stuff. This year, like '03, returns to the darker of Belgian-style ales, as it pours a very deep brown (black?) with a solid showing of heady foam. That Belgian yeast they're using at Stone must be great...it sure smells good. The aroma is quite spicy, full of cloves and yeast, and showing off some mild esters. Layers of flavors upon sipping; I had a rare "holy fock, this is good shit!" moment. Subtle spices carry over from the nose, building upon smoky layers of chocolate, licorice, plums and a kiss of herbacious hoppiness; all which balances the huge grain bill so nicely. Finishes nicely smooth, aftertaste is dark wheat. Wow. Very mild carbonation and well-hidden alcohol. I've made plans to purchase a few more bottles this weekend. This is great now, and I think aging might make it an absolute gem. We shall see. Great stuff.

IrishRedRock, Aug 19, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Had on tap at winter storm:
Was dark brown with little head. It smelled very buttery and a little sweet. The taste was like drinking liquid buttery pecans and walnuts in a way. It was very very smooth and super easy to drink. I was not completely sure what to expect with this but it was surprising one of the better beers I had while there.

d4114, Feb 19, 2011
Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.