StoneWall Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

StoneWall AleStoneWall Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  12.80% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-12-2006)
4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

I was lucky to be able to attend this party at Stone Brewery. Thank you Eyedrinkale! If i knew then what i know now, i would have spent at least the 250, just so i could take some of this home.
We only received one half glass per guest. It was darker than i expected, but not as dark as some barley wines. Nice darkish head that left a Very sticky lace all the way down. I have to admit i was expecting more hops, probably due to the huge build-up, but truly i was not let down. It seemed reminiscent of Bigfoot. Would love to taste them side by side.
Great Job Stone.

ReDave, Jun 29, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +0.7%

I was fortunate to have this one on tap at the Stone Wall party. My wife does not drink beer, so I got her taster ticket as well!!! Score! The dark orange hued appearance was quite nice in the 10th Anniversary pint glass that Stone provided. Nice stong dark ale appearance with a sweet malty and alcohol nose to it. I thought the mouthfeel was almost perfect, but I am biased heavily towards almost any Stone product. Sweet creamy, remarkably un-hoppy for a Stone product, but finished with a warming alcohol bite. As the beer warms these flavors come alive and the alcohol announces it's presence. This is certainly not a session type beer, but I look forward to cellaring my 3 bottles and sharing it at the "appropriate" time. Too bad this won't be available in the future.

imblane, Jun 23, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

I travelled all the way from Northwest Indiana for the stone wall party, and the ale served was quite interesting.

A strong, potent brew at 12.2 percent. Very sweet taste at first sip, but good alcohol finish and familar Stone hoppiness. Only had half a pint at the party, the 22 oz. bottle chilling in my fridge shall be interesting, after some aging.

Good stone brew, after a 22 oz. though Im sure the alcohol would catch up with me, so this is an excellent brew to share and enjoy with another.

tfasano, Jun 22, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -5%

I was lucky enough to go to the Stonewall party thanks to Winomark. Made the drive from the San Fernando Valley, mainly just to try this beer.

Had to wait until 1pm, and was 3rd in line. They only served 1/2 a glass, in a Stone pint glass. Poured a dark reddish brown, large head that lasted a little while.

Smell was sweet, with the alcohol showing its strong ABV. I didn't get a bottle, but was told it was 12.2%

The taste was kind of strong, I am not one to name all the flavors as many reviewers do, one day I may be that good, but still learning. It reminded me of Old Guardian, but with more of a hoppy finish. Tasted similar to some "Old Ales" I have had. It should age well, hopefully I will get a chance to get a bottle somehow.

I like the strong beers, and at 12.2% this is a great one. It is too bad it won't be available. I am lucky to have had this one, thanks to Stone for another great beer.

Boolshot, Jun 13, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

I had this beer on tap at the StoneWall release party. I doubt I will ever see any more of this, with the exception of the bottle I have, so I was very happy to have got the chance to try this one.

This beer pours an orage brown color. It sported a thick light brown head that fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer has a plesent sweet malty caramel aroma. This beer has a slightly spicy cinimon like aroma. Also, some citrus hops are present. The alcohol content is slightly noticable in the aroma.

This beer tastes very syrupy sweet. A strong caramle flavor is present. It has a citrusy hop flavor, mixed in with a sublte spicy flavor. I was slightly surprised how mild the hop profile was.

This full bodied beer leaves a very syrupy sweet aftertaste. The alcohol warms slightly as it goes down. This beer is highly carbonated, but not so much that it matters.

I dont think that even if this beer was available it would make a good session beer. The alcohol content is high. That would make drinking too many a problem. Also, the flavor is quite aggressive, and a little too sweet. I am very happy to have had this probably once in a life time experience.

OStrungT, Jun 13, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +8%

Sampled on tap at the Stone "StoneWall" celebration party for donors to the StoneWall Charity Project. For availability notes, this is, in theory, one of the few times that the StoneWall ale will be on tap.

Poured into a standard american cheater pint, the beer (only a half pint!) billowed with a large tan head over a rich burnished copper caramel beer. There is a surprising amount of carbonation rolling through the beer as it continues to bubble through the beer for the hour it took for me to finish my sample.

Aromas are a bit mellow with the beer chilled to pale ale/ipa temp, but as the beer warms up the aroma begins to open up with a low hop spice mingling with a burst of vanilla and cinnamon over a orangey caramel malt.

The flavor follows suit with a similiar gentle hop profile (from Stone?) that isn't assertive even during the coldest sample period. Rich, clean and bright while only being slightly sweet. The spice and tannic notes of oak meld well against the malt and provide the break needed to keep the beer from being cloying.

The finish is smooth and amazingly warming, richly coating the palate without seeming heavy and being gentle with it's payload of 12.8% without burning like rocket fuel.

drewbage, Jun 12, 2006
StoneWall Ale from Stone Brewing Co.