Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

This Double IPA poured a dark copper orange. The head was scarce. What little bubbles it did have were tiny and dense. It did leave some scattered lacing, but that didn't stay long either.

Th smell had up front notes of canned pineapple. Sweet tropical fruits as well piney and citrus hop aromas. A hint of alcohol could be detected as well.

This beer hits you upfront with hops. Flavors ranging from grapefruit and orange to resiny pine. No doubt there's some simcoe in there, as well as other hp varieties. The fruit flavors detected in the smell were present in the taste as well. It reminded me of a good Chardonnay with it's layered tropical fruits and citrus flavors in the finish. Also a nice dose of toasty malt. Just sweet enough to balance the hops, but not overwhelming. there is definitely some alcohol lurking in the background. You feel it when you exhale.

The mouthfeel is big and expansive. Slightly biting carbonation. For the size of the beer it's also very drinkable. the hop taste is big, but not numbing to the palate. And the malt is sweet, but just sweet enough.

Overall one of the best Double IPA's I've had yet. I felt it struck a better balance between the hops and the malt than other examples in it's class. Much more balanced than Ruination. An excellent effort for an anniversary brew.

22 ounce bottle from Naja's Place

Poured into a chilled pint glass with a 1/2 inch head

Amazing double IPA with some fruit accents and a strong bitter taste

Hopefully the 11th Anniversary will be as good because I have been hearing a lot of good things about it as well

Highly recommended if you can still find this one floating around somewhere

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

A beer that I have sampled often. The pour is an off orange color with good copper hues throughout. A mostly hazy view but with a good pour it leaves a large head that remained through the whole tasting. A sticky foam as well that has good staying power.

The nose is nice and hoppy. The aroma has a nice mix of distinct pine and distinct citrus. There are other hop essences that support the specific nose, such as a floral and herbal notes and some nectarine and tangerine esters. The malt has a smaller presence but some bready and biscuit notes with not much caramel qualities.

The taste is similar with a stronger hop presence as a good IPA should have. The hops are balanced well with a nice citrus, somewhat lemony and peppery bitterness. Definitely fruity complexity that continues into the finishing hops with more of the grapefruit, tangerine and lime mix. As my palate get more familiar more mango and pine comes out, especially in the finishing hops. The malt has a slight caramel hint, but the biscuit/bready flavor comes out more. Some light honey hints as well.

The body is closer to full then mid feel to it. Good carbonation that seems high but supports the bitterness for the hops. A very nice complexity with some detectable alcohol esters and some creaminess that becomes more apparent as you go. I really enjoy that they beer does changes as you drink it and add more complexity. Enjoy.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's Labor Day weekend for $4.99.

Beer poured an orange-amber color with a nice white head that is leaving a good lacing behind. Nose is heavily tinged with grapefruit floral hops and is also bready. Taste is very well balanced for the style. Initially the palate is hit with the malts and finishes with a counterpunch of citrusy hops which actually does not overwhelm the palate. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lively on the palate. Drinkability improves as I go. Initially the alcohol was extremely warming but since has mellowed. This is an awesome beer that I would recommend to fans of the Double IPA style.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Found this at The Keg in Clarksville, Indiana, last week. Haven't seen it in Evansville, yet. Beautiful bottle. The Stone Gargoyle has never looked better. Pouring into a large pint glass the body is a radiant orange amber. Excellent clarity, with a two finger ecru head that stays around for several minutes. Lacing is lavish and quite attractive.

Aroma is initially very hoppy, with lots of citrus. Pink grapefruit, orange, and lime zest are complimented by a solid spruce pine note. Bready malt is also noted, and reminds me of DFH 120 Minute. A hint of red apple is sensed in the background, seemingly from the malt.

Mouthfeel is a full medium. Carbonation is ideal for melding the big malts and hops here.

Lovely taste boasts big and juicy citrusy hops. Orange, tangerine, and pink grapefruit add an ideal bittersweet character. Malt character is very intriguing. Reminds me of the rounded breadiness of some of the DFH 90 or 120 Minute IPAs. Works better here. More complex than Stone Ruination or IPA. Uniquely Stone, this is a really fine DIPA. Happy Birthday Stone!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle label # 2 of 10 Big thanks to metallitone1 for sending this my way.

Bottle poured into my snifter a light amber color with a nice head leaving lots of lacing around the glass. Big west coast hop aroma. Taste of grapefruit, citrusy bitter hops with a bit alcohol and a dry finish. Mouth feel seems right on and the drinkability is pretty high considering the alcohol and the big hops. Looking forward to drinking this one while it last.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ashley's (Ann Arbor) at the MI Stone release party. Served in a pint glass. Usually don't review a beer I've only had at the bar, but I think this is the only chance I'll have to try this beer.

A: Amberish brown, served with little head, but I don't know if that was the pour or the beer. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

S: Huge piney hops dominate. In a sinus clearing way. Whoa.

T: Almost a two step process: (1) Slap in the teeth of big bad hops (2) After you recover, you realize that there is quite a bit of balance with some citrusy fruits and malt. The alcohol is present, and it warms your throat while still tasting hops all the way down. "Hop-burn" is the only way I can describe it.

M: Fantastic. Thick and a little oily without being too syrupy. Perfect amount of carbonation for the style. All around great.

D: Obviously a huge beer, but so damn good.

Amazing brew. Definitely glad to finally have Stone in MI. This beer completely destroys your palate though, and I sure can't write a review of the Double Bastard I followed this up with.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bomber into a 0.5L Duvel tulip. #3 of 10.

A: Deep crystal clear amber body. Small bubbles stick to the bottom of the glass. Head is tall, with a light tan color. It sticks around for awhile, and leaves good lacing behind. One the head is gone, laving sits on top. Great looking IPA.

S: Strong piney hopes and floral nodes I think. It’s powerful but really pleasant. The smell refreshing and wakes me up.

T: Lots of hops hit me hard up front. There is a slight sweet malt taste after the hops fade a bit. A flash of alcohol towards the end is quickly covered by bitter hop aftertaste. This lingers for a long time. This beer is all about the hops.

M: Slightly full, with good carbonation. The bitterness seems to affect my tongue before i actually taste it. A slightly dry finish

D: Great flavor, but powerful. Very good for the style, but doubtful I'd want more than one of these, as delicious as it is.

I was looking forward to this beer, and it met my expectations, though sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing flavors in IPAs. Overall, I expected any IPA made by Stone to be damn good, and it is.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

I've had more than my fair share of this brew. It pours a very nice amber. A wonderful, piney smell with alcohol that is balanced well with the malt. The taste is similar. Reminds me of A lot of good times. Very hoppy, lots of piney chinooks and, pleasently, very few centenials and cascades. Exceptional taste, which is similar to the smell. Doesn't taste like a double but a well balanced, very hearty IPA. If you get the chance to taste this TAKE IT!!!!

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Well... needed something special for my 100th review. I think this should work fine.

Pours a clear amber color, with a nice head. A great looking beer.

Nose is sweet, a bit dusty, and citrus like. A bit different than I expected. Still a pleasant beer to smell.

This somewhat innocent looking beer really knocks you upside the mouth when you first taste it... whoa! Really bitter and pine like up front, has a sweet and tart middle, then finishes with a bit of creaminess, some alcohol making it's presence known, and then the bitterness from the hops hits you again. This is extremely well balanced for such a huge beer.

Mouthfeel is unbelievable. This is a huge well rounded beer that really coats your mouth. Almost perfect!

This is an amazing beer. It loses a few points for being a bit over the top, but I would never turn one of these down. However... I'd probably only have one per night.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep honey-golden brown with a thick, sticky layer of foam. Slight haze. Excellent lacing.

Juicy hop aroma, but not quite as huge as it could be. Combo of floral and citrus notes with a little pine.

Taste: Five. I don't think a double IPA could surpass this, only perhaps match it. A huge hops presence without excessive bitterness. Flavor profile closely follows the nose... floral and citric notes mix, with mild resin following. On the sweet side, malt holds up well to the hops assault but isn't especially assertive. Just enough alcohol warmth in the finish to be enjoyable without seeming boozy.

This is now my measuring stick against which all DIPAs of the future will be judged.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz bomber, received from BigErn (and 2 more bottles from lou91 to share once the madison BA scene wakes up from its nap)

appearance: pours into my New Belgium chalice...big dark copper-amber body with a fluffy beige head and pretty solid lacing...enticing beer that I have been anxiously awaiting from Stone

smell: 2 nights in a row of amazing smelling ipa's...like the hop whore this is a bouquet of dripping green hops, big grapefruit-citrus aroma, high pine presence. Unlike the hop whore, this beer clearly appears to have a nice malt/booze balance, that makes it undeniably Stone

taste: This is a very nice DIPA indeed...strong pine up front with a bitter grapefruit hop compliment, pungent green hops...great caramel malt balance which leads me to consider this as bordering a barleywine. I have 3 bottles and might let one die down a little to see if the barleywine in it comes out a little more, that is if I dont drink it all! Booze presence is noticeable in a nice way and bitterness is moderate. Mmmm

mouthfeel: moderate-high bitterness, medium-low alcohol presence, pungent and juicy hop creation

drinkability: high

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Cloudy orange/brown color with a beige head showing fair retention. The nose displays a developed malty richness over time; dark buttery caramel, toffee, hot alcohol esters, slight piney hop touch and a little sulfery funk. The malt sweetness shows range; caramel and buttery toffee, molasses, roasted grains, nutty. A piney hop bite in the back balances out the malt characters and herbal floral hop characters that are soft at times and oily, resinous other times jump around from sip to sip. A little metallic, hot alcohol spice hangs on the palate, boozy...reminds you of its strength. Much of the hop fruitiness has faded with age and mostly noticed in the finish with larger fruity, piney, pineapple and acidic citrus notes come out. Full bodied and a thick, oily mouthfeel and creamy carbonation is very nice.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Fantastic beer. It's all Belgian in spirit, smoothly hiding its alcoholic strength behind some very full and balanced flavors. But speaking of flavor, it's all English: a bready-sweet malt melody, matched by a nice background harmony of hop bitterness. Indeed, rather than a classic west-coast (or San Diego) double IPA, I'd be inclined to classify it as a double ESB (Fuller's X 2?). My only complaint is that as I made it deeper and deeper into my glass, the malty sweetness started to get a little cloying. But just a little. A truly world-class brew.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Notes from this past summer:
On tap at Concordia Ale House.
Very nice glowing copper type color with a nice big frothy and sticky head that leaves tons of lacing as the beer is drank. Great retention.
Giant whiffs of pungent fruity hops, pineapple is most prevalent, mango, citrusy orange, touched with some pine aromas as well. Big sweet malty aromas characterized by light caramel type sweetness. The hop profile is really layered with many great fruity hoppy aromas.
Big hoppy bite is the first thing to sink its teeth into my palate, bitter and fruity hops, orange, pineapple, pine, and a giant and very sweet malty and alcoholic malt profile comes shorty after. Light caramel type sweetness that matches the initial aroma. The alcohol is very percievable but the hop profile and the sweet malt is so tasty you keep sipping away.
The mouthfeel is pretty big and slick, medium level of carbonation.
Considering the 10%abv its a beer that you can easily drink a bomber of. Moderation with this beer? why? its too tasty. I think ill go back everyday until the keg is gone.
Notes from 12/14
Stone 10th on tap again at the Concordia Ale House. This beer has changed considerably. The hop has really faded and leaves a bitter hop profile but lacks the same fruity complexity it originally had. The sweet malt profile really comes through for me mostly with subtle hints of the hoppy flavors that used to be. Still very tasty but certainly different.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Enjoyed from a cool looking bottle (Design #1 of 10) with Bottle cap design #2 with the Gargoyle head and dates of Stone's existence

Appearance: dark amber with a finger-thick off-white head that provided pretty good lacing - but nothing rocky or extremely beautiful.

Smell: Knocked me back a bit! Loads of fresh hops and something spicy or leathery which kept things interesting

Taste: Very hoppy - not so much fruity , but more piney and very bitter ( a good thing). Alcohol is hidden very well, especially for 10% The cloying smokiness/leatheriness is still present and I continue to drink trying to find out exactly what it is...

Mouthfeel: The best aspect of the beer. Very silky smooth, full bodied feel that coats the tongue and doesn't let go

Drinkability: The fact that I would love to reach for another (if they werent so darn expensive) of these says it all. Great beer!

Bomber into snifters.

Very nice burnished copper color with a light, white head that slowly falls to islands and lace with some stick on the sides.

Smell is perfect. Resinous pine, flowers, grapefruit, and a very distinct presence of grilled pineapple. The caramel malt interacting with the pineapple/grapefruit-y hops is just awesome.

Taste is similar with a pronounced, but never unpleasant alcohol presence. Really fruity, really floral, with a nice malt balance and some spicy alcohol that is never overbearing or unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is fairly sticky sweet, but very nice, with medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability is great for a DIPA, because of the fact that this isn't abrasive, it's very floral and fruity, with a nice malt balance, and an alcohol presence that's never overly hot. It is nicely warming, however.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours clear and amber in color with a nice thick head. Aroma is of piney hops with a background of fruity sweetness -- very nice! Taste is big on both bitter hops and malts, with some alcohol hotness. This is a rather heavy beer as should be expected for the style. What a nice beer. At 10% alcohol, not a session brew.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

What can I say, but 4.5 across the board. This is a truely deligtful beverage! The smell is sweet fruity-grassy floral aroma-very nice. The appreance is an amber, with a somewhat small head (but does size really matter?). The taste is oh so finely balanced between the hops bittering and malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is generally smooth with a slight smack to the posterior 3rd of the glossal apparatus. Highly drinakble at the the ABV. Damn...I must get some more of this fine brew. Seek out and enjoy!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Served in an oversized wine glass, the beer pours a copper/orange color with about an inch off-white head. It smells very hoppy, like citrusy and piney hops, and a sweet sugary smell, kinda like brown sugar. Mostly, this tastes like citrusy and piney hops, but I can also taste pineapple, grapefruit and caramel. There's also noticable alcohol warming/feeling with this beer. It's sweet and hoppy at the same time, very nice. The mouthfeel is full, and it's slick and a bit syrupy. The drinkability is very good, but the alcohol catches up to you after a little while. I think this is a pretty good beer, I wish Stone would make this one a regular beer of theirs.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Offered on draft at my favorite watering hole in the entire area, the Dilly Deli. This glass is a thing of beauty. I sat and admired it on the bar before I even took a drink. It was a nice dark amber color, with a half inch head that receded after a minute or two.
The smell is absolutely wonderful. I got a stronger hop presence from the tap offering than from the bottle.
The flavor was more predominant as well. The stronger hops were parading around my mouth with some of the cleanest, juiciest citrus flavors I've had in a beer.
The mouthfeel is juicy, with some tart/bitterness that follows.
I was deeply impressed with the bottled version, but as almost always, on draft this thing really opens up and numbs the senses.
Why oh why can't this be a year round offering here on draft. Oh well, better once than never. If you are lucky enough to come across this on draft, get your fill, this is one impressive brew.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer is a burnished orange brown in the glass with not much head formation. I poured this a little cold at first but after about five minutes this becomes a crystal clear shade of dark amber.

Extremely rich aroma from the glass. Strong hop aroma as expected, this is much like the best Double IPAs. Sweet with a lot of hop aroma this is sensed as mostly tropical fruit. The scents of pineapple and mango are the strongest. A bit of pine and lots of grapefruit are detectable. Sweet to the nose I can't unravel the malt mix here is simply smells like pineapple juice.

Taste is spicy and full of melon flavor at the beginning. Melon flavor remains a major flavor but is joined with grapefruit and pineapple. Mango/peach joins the mix after a while along with mint and menthol.

Excellent Mouthfeel.

Outstanding drinkability. A new member of the best super IPAs in the world. In the same class as Pliny The Younger and Dreadnaught. I just happen to know where an under valued case of this is located, I must buy it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Perfect 1-2" dulce de leche head. Sparse visible carbonation at first rising from awesome butterscotch/caramel body with slight haze. Gets to be next-nigh perfect on the 2nd pour with decent lacing.

Loads of caramel malt - floral hope take time to emerge with warmth - lisghtly soapy at first. Mild grapefruit rind. Alcohol bite is blanketed with sweet caramel tones.

While the hops may be fading it still has a powerful bite - a little piney at first (maybe the effect of more than expected carbonation) but then floral tone emerges with more strength. Caramel, caramel-apple and alcohol are quite profound at first. Powerful stuff.

Raw and rustic brute force meets velvety finish and slight carbonation tingle. Mild burn from alcohol in back of mouth is not a bother. As this warms the soothing caramel, butterscotch and apple heft coats nicely in n extremely long finish.

OK, it's not sessionable but 1 of these a day would be even better than an apple.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.