Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.47/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Naja's Place in Redondo. Had the bottled version too.

The beer was a nice amber hue with a small off-white head.

The aroma was of resiny hops and tropical fruits.

The flavor of the beer was bursting with citrusy, resiny, and tropical hop flavors. The maltiness of the beer was sweet. A little too sweet for my taste. I'm not sure what yeast Stone used, but it left the beer tasting slightly vinous - somewhere between a malty double IPA and a barleywine. I also tasted slight amounts of fusel alcohol, which left a "hot" feel in my mouth.

The mouthfeel was too heavy and a little syrupy to make this a very drinkable DIPA.

Overall I think this beer, like many of Stone's beers, has been greatly overrated. It's easy to confuse the influence and impact of a brewery with the quality of it's product. I'm gratefull for the lifeblood Stone's injected into the microbrew industry, but I feel that impact transcends the quality of their beer. (963 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

A- clear auburn and orange, massive three finger fluffy/foamy white head, excellent retent

S- hops, oily and leafy, citrus and caramel

T- just as hoppy as it smells, hop flavored alcoholic heat at finish, grape skin, grapefruit, caramel, butterscotch, fruit like characters, hop oils

M- medium body, lots of alcoholic heat, dry after, smooth, hops abuse palate much

D- lots of interesting things happening here, but i think the alcohol presence was out of control, not to mention this might as just be hop juice. don't get me wrong, it was still enjoyable (567 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga: Poured a medium amber color ale with a medium slightly off-white head with OK retention. Aroma of bit citrus hops is clearly dominant as expected with some nice trace of caramel malt. Taste is bitter as hell with the dominant force of the citrus hops with a good base of caramel malt. Body is a bit thin and less filtration would have been appreciated but alcohol is very well hidden. Well done for the style but not necessarily something I would go for very often. (493 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Huge hops creakily supported by a slightly syrupy malt. A hops overload is expected from this beer, and it certainly does not fail to deliver. A well-done study in excess for the consumption of hop heads (into which category I fall), but overall it is a novelty, something to be experienced more than enjoyed. (309 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Found this at Capone's on Germantown Pike. - I had to give them their props as they are striving for a stellar selection and doing a fine job.

It poured a clear honey/amber into my "imperial" pint glass. It had a nice linen colored head, but it disolved into some sticky lacing rather quickly.

The initial smell is awesome. Grapefuit, honey, and pine sap are the most evident smells, but there is a faint metallic smell on the very backend of it. The hop aromas are complimented by some biscuity malts.

Dear LORD this is a hoppy beer! I've had most of the heavy hitters in this style and this one takes the cake! The "balance" is left in the aroma, because there isn't much in the taste. It tastes like a Stone IPA with a mouthfull of grass clippings.

As for drinkability, this one is waaay to excessively hopped to be a drinker. One of these and I'm done. Actually, I would have rathered a 12ozer. I feel like I just washed my stomach with a strong detergent.

Mouthfeel: I'm left smacking my lips like a dog eating peanut butter.

I'm glad I tried it, but I'll stick to Ol' Horace or Double Simcoe for this style. They seem just a bit more balanced and enjoyable. (1,183 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

This is after A - Poured a nice deep amber color with an off white head that was very fluffy. Leaves a lot of lace.

S - Pine, pineapple, peaches and grapefruit. Caramel toasty notes. TONS of alcohol.

T - Caramel and fruity, pineapple flavors. Most of it poured over the toasty notes. All of it balanced very nicely.

M - Very smooth on the palette. The bitterness shows up in the end mixed with the alcohol. Smooth and creamy.

D - except for the high alcohol content, this is a very enjoyable beer. But over hyped due to the unbalanced, more so unmelded tastes. (575 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a hazy orange/copper color with a nice frothy, slightly off-white head that retains well. Decent lacing.

Smells of HUGE citrus and piney hops with a certain sweetness from a nice malt backbone. Grapefruitiness also present.

Taste is of grassy, very piney, and floral hoppiness. Sweet malts come through as well, even a tad bit of biscuity flavors try their best to fight there way through the hops but come and go very rapidly, right up front. Lots of alcohol burn in the finish which makes this beer a little less enjoyable/drinkable.

Mouthfeel is very oily, full-bodied and good carbonation.

I wouldnt consider this beer to be very drinkable on the fact that the alcohol is just way too present in the taste.

Overall, I feel that this beer is very overrated. (781 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Mike and Mike for cracking the 3L. Poured into a snifter. Appears transparent dark orange with a fantastic frothy, creamy, sea foam head. Excellent retention and nice lacing is left behind.

The nose is citrus hops with a slightly sweet caramel malt presence. There's s decent amount of oxidation that can really only be described as stale cardboard. This bears similarities to a barleywine, but the oxidation isn't at all complimentary.

The flavor still has a moderate grapefruit and pine bitterness. The malt is slightly sugary and that cardboard oxidation is again evident. Booze is strong. Bitterness, cardboard, and booze linger in the finish. This beer has seen better days. (691 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a clear reddish orange body with a white head that dies quickly.

The nose is dominated by a resin filled oily hop nose. Mild touches of alcohol, but

Taste is over the top hops. FULL bodied and smooth with a candy like sticky sweetness in the finish. Rotting citrus peel dominates the taste. From start to finish it's like licking the outside of dirty lime that is covered in white fur. Mmm, mmm, mmm penicillin. On a lime, bad, but when it comes to DIPA's this is a killer. There's a decent malt base, but compared to the hops it's so far in the background as to be non existent. Has a long lingering bitterness.

For fans of the Ruination, this is sort of like Ruination on acid and speed at the same time. Which at first may seem cool, but honestly becomes a little too over the top. Definitely a departure for stone which seems to balance the big hops and malt and blend them together. Honestly this just feels like a grandstanding hop monster. Maybe age it a couple years to mellow it out, but right now it's just too over the top. (1,061 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

This brew is different. I mean that will all respect to Stone.
This beer looks and smells great, however, the taste is a little different. The taste is a little stale and odd. It's spicy but its stale. I would have loved to try this and the 9th ann fresh. I really wish I had been of age to try these brews fresh.

Overall, I this this brew would be good. I really think I had a bad bottle. Fresh or aged (properly) this brew should and is good. (447 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Stone shaker pint glass.

Beer is hazy, big white head, almost grapefruit in color, low retention, some lacing, nice looking.

Aroma is very hoppy, pine and citrus with a strong malt sweet backbone.

This is about as heavy as an IPA can get. The palate is like chewing on hop pellets soaked in malt syrup. Strong, a little dry on the finish, maxes out on the IBUs, very strong beer overall. I'd have it again but it is a sipper, couldn't go through much of this in a sitting. (534 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a full two finger dirty tan head over a cloudy orange apricot liquid. Smells oranges, pine, tangerine, and woody dry. Hint of caramel and a bit of alcohol sting.

Tastes ester fruity to start with a smooth, almost creamy, hop flavor. Hop bitter is present, but not intrusive. Some rough grassy co-humulone early, but it's overwhelmed by a wet sweet late. This sweet is then dried out by a touch of acrid carb and a raw alcohol that's a bit rougher than I would have liked.

Esters include pear, apricot, and dry-ish citrus. Hops flavor is oragnes with some piney resinous and woody dry character. The sweet comes across as crystal sugar with caramel. While not a distinct flavor by itself, the alcohol taints the finish. A bit less alc and I'd find this beer much more enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is med-thick with a creamy character remniscent of oatmeal stout silkiness. Drying finish with a peppery sting from the alcohol. (931 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

A bomber that I got to sample last spring. The colour was a cloudy-amber. The aroma was teeming with hops and caramel but there was an interesting musty quality, as well. On the palate, there was a sweet maltiness, as well as caramel, toffee and creme brulee. Interestingly, there was not much hop character on the palate. Still, a nice glass! (343 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a nice pintglass with a ruination IPA logo on it that stone kindly sent me. I didn't get much head from it as I'm a very careful pouring sort of fellow who tries to avoid head. The little head I did get is still laced around the edge without much hanging to the glass. Being a huge Ruination IPA fan I was expecting a lot from something touting both "Stone" and "Anniversary" celebrations in the same sentence. They have done a wonderful job, although I think there might be a little bit too much alcohol to the beer. It looks superb as an IPA should but has no noticeable sediment as usual with Stone brews. It smells excellent! I wanted to guzzle at first but I minded myself and didn't. At 10% I'm getting drunk just smelling the stuff, and the 10% really shows in the taste. It doesn't have much bite, and kind of has a bit of belgian style aftertaste in it. You can taste the alcohol but it blends in fairly well. The mouthfeel is flat and a little bland. Overall the drinkability of this beer is okay, but it is hardly able to match up to the Ruination. I'm not entirely sold on this being an actual IPA. Something doesn't quite stack up in the taste. It's a bit over fermented or something, I can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for. (1,327 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a clear, amber with an off-white head that dissipates quickly. Not terribly awe-inspiring.

The nose is where I'm starting to get excited. A deliciously sweet grapefruit hops smell.

First taste is a quick shot of hops followed quickly by a sweet, chewy malt taste (which I can't seem to describe) which again quickly gives way to the pleasant warming/burning of the alchohol. Finally, a settling on an overall numbness from the hop/alchohol combo.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Really pretty nice here.

For a DIPA, this is better than average, but I think that one glass is enough to satisfy me and that working my way through an entire bomber may wipe me out for the week.

Tastes to me like a more restrained version of the Ruination. (758 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Stone's 10th anniversary ale pours majestically into my glass. The pour begets a large and cascading creamy off white three fingered head. As it begins to shirnk it leaves a nice trace of lacing along the sides of the glass. The color of this beer is amber hued, light copper. Head retention could use some work.(That or my glass isn't very clean)

To the nose this beer has a pretty balanced aroma. Hop and yeast esters can be detected, a bit of alcohol is also present. From the hops I get a somewhat spicy character, the yeast strain is giving this beer a fruity aroma. Don't get me wrong, the beer smells great, amazing actually, but this isn't the aroma which is usually associated with IPAs or Double/Imperial IPAs.

Throw the aroma out the window when it comes to the flavor of this beer. The first sip actually made my eyes go wide. The aroma prepares you for something completely different that what is provided by the flavor. This beer is a hop assault on the palate. First thing noticeable is the hop character which dominates the flavor, after that alcohol is perceived and then the fruity flavor, which was so strong in the aroma, makes a cameo. This beer easily represents the flavor guidelines of an Imperial/Double IPA-strong, highly hopped and alcoholic. However, I have never tasted the hops that are used in this brew. That tells me that the flavor and aroma hops are probably not cascade, chinook or coloumbus.

The beer feels lighter on the palate than I would've liked. For being such a strong brew I would've expected something with a bit of a heavier body, alas the body to this beer is fairly light. Carbonation does not get in the way of the flavor, and alcohol is slightly warming as it goes down. I don't know if I could sit and drink this brew all night, might be a bit too intense with the alcohol so upfront. As to drinkability I won't be able to buy this brew again, because its a limited release and to be honest I prefer Stone IPA or Ruination Ale to this one. (1,994 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear orangish golden color worth a 1/4" head of tight white bubbles. The head was maintained by many bubbles rising, but it really only lasted for about 30-45 seconds. There are still quite a few bubbles rising, but the head ends up just being a small ring across the top of the beer. The beer leaves a thick coat of lacing on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Oh my god, this beer smells like hop juice concentrate! I get a whole bunch of citrus hops that leave no room for the malt within all of this. There are so many citrus fruit in here that it is hard to pick out any in particular. I get grapefruit and lemon along with some lime and orange. That is the most obvious. The rest is just overwhelming.

Taste: This beer is something else, and I am sure that I won't be tasting anything else for at least the rest of the night. The second sip is a little more forgiving because your palate is already blasted. Oh my, the burp is like regurgitating a Christmas tree! This beer is WAY over the top. The finish is not as chalky as a lot of the offerings from Stone are. It has a whole lot of oils from the hops to coat your throat that almost makes it seem like it is a malt balance in the finish.

Opinion: This beer is an anomaly. I am almost intrigued by the fact that this beer is so damn hoppy. I am not sure that I have had a beer that was this far out of balance unless it would be Victory's Hop Wallop. This beer is a bit more drinkable than the Victory beer because there is SOME malt to balance it out. This sample was enough for me, and I won't be drinking this beer again. (1,612 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11%

Nice caramel colour with bubbly head and active carbonation.

The smell was astonishing to me. Grapefruit. Very clearly grapefruit to me. Alcohol comes afterwards and is warm and spicy. Stings the nostrils.

The taste kicks you in the mouth. Strong hop character gives way to a spicy alcohol burn in the back of your throat. Very little malt sweetness to balance the hops.

Maybe I am not worthy, but I could only stand this one if sipped. Very strong. (460 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

22 oz bottle via jasonjlewis

A: Pours a deep amber/copper under a creamy white head. OK lacing, good retention.

S: Hoppy with a nice malt backbone which gives way to some caramel. Hops are more piney than citrusy, but have obviously faded because the malt is so easily picked up, but that's not to say the hops are any where near gone. The hop character does fade with temperature and gives way to more hints of alcohol.

T: A nice sweetness up front with a piney hoppiness to finish. Good amount of bitterness and slightest hint of alcohol. Taste has a medicinal quality to it that throws it a little off between beginning and end.

M/D: Feel is pretty thick, medium to high medium, and a little oily. Carbonation is a tad high on this one. Drinkability is good. I didn't have this one fresh, but it seems to have held up reasonably well. (842 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours out like Ice tea. Fairly clear but with a lot of carbonation and about 1 finger of slightly offwhite suds that dissapete slowly leaving a nice lacing.
Smell is very citrusy with hints of lemon and grapefruit. Hops and alcohol are present but in the back. Also a caramel smell that is very light and it might just be the malt.
The taste is hops and grapefruit and alcohol. Almost like a cough syrup. This quickly dissapates leaving a very fruity and alcoholy flavor.
Two drinks and you feel the alcohol but it is a very nice aftertaste.
Clean in the mouth and not bitter as you would think.
I do like this and will buy more to consume. Great for a cold night to warm you up! (684 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours a deep copper with a small amount of head. Some lacing on the glass.

S: Biscuity malt followed by big notes of alcohol. Slight hints of hops are present.

T: Lots of sweet, caramal malt, followed by big booming notes of warming alcohol. Somewhere behind this are some subtle citrus hops notes. I can only imagine what this was like fresh. It's still tasty, but has aged into almost a barleywine type drink.

M: Viscous, yet smooth.

D: This is a tasty beer, despite losing a lot of the hops from when it was fresh. It's strong, but good. (551 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

After having this beer many times, I believe it was the best the first time I tasted it. The delicate floral nature of the hops deteriorated after storage, though I should note that I stored it at higher temperatures than recommended (80-90 degrees at times).

The following is from after storing it:
A: Orangey-red, cloudy. Fine, limited head
S: Cantaloupe, sweet. Pinene from hops; perfumey
T: aftertaste of alcohol (417 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Clear copper, darker than you'd expect an IPA to be, with a substantial blanket of foam on top.

S: Tropical and citric fruits combine with hops and alcohol for a pretty interesting aroma.

T: An extremely fruity, sweet entry becomes more citric and eventually finishes with intensely bitter hops and a slight alcohol kick.

M: Thick, slightly oily and chewy and with moderate carbonation - this is probably the heaviest IPA I've ever had.

D: Even for the style this is pretty heavy, boozy stuff. Not something I could drink a lot of.

A subtle beer it's not, but it has a remarkably complex, layered character. I generally prefer my DIPAs less sweet and fruity, but despite not necessarily matching my criteria for a perfect beer I have to give it points for being unique. (787 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -9.9%

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA pours a beautiful clear copper color with a flurry of small bubbles floating slowly flowing to the surface from the bottom. The color is bright and almost glows in the glass. On top a thick, creamy one fingered width light tan head forms. The foam slowly disolves to a thick ring around the beer and leaves behind a good amount of netted lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma is very hoppy with a strong orange citrus, some fruity notes of cherry and a medicine alcohol smell mixed in.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer feels syrupy and chewy. The flavor has lots of pine, orange citrus and lemon zest. A sweet caramel malt with hints of cherry help balance out all the hops. It finishes dry with an alcohol/medicine flavor which gives a mild burn when swallowed. Once gone some of the cherry, orange citrus and medicine flavors linger on the palate.

This is a beautiful beer with an intense flavor. Reminds me of a barleywine, but with a bit more balance. I'll have to revist this beer in a year or two to see if the alcohol flavors mellow out. (1,094 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

The Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is a very tasty entry level IPA ( I rather prefer the Dorado Double IPA or even any of the # IPA's from DogFish head).

The color was a light straw color with nice legs in the glass, which seemed to cling to the glass as it was "quaffed". The drinkability was good but of would been a little better if the beer was left to get a little warmer, as it was a little to cold right out of the fridge but the last dregs from the glass where considerably smoother although it might have been the 10% ABV talking.

The finish was a little on the sweet side with subtle pineapple flavors with a underlying pepper finish as well..

Aroma: Has slight citrus tones followed by light grassy undertones with a little bit of caramel slipping in @ the end.. (778 characters)

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.