Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

biegaman was nice enough to share this one with me. thanks jan!

pours a light copper colour with a big, dense yellow head. head is slow to drop and leaves a nice layer of lace behind.

aroma is great. first sniff was a touch catty, but after that the other dimensions come out. fruity, orange and tangerine. just a hint of grapefruit. not piney/resiny at all. no real alcohol noticeable.

taste is great. really nice bready malt, decent bitterness level that isn't over the top, and a wonderful hoppiness. alcohol comes a bit, but well balanced. really complex, much more than the average dipa. bit of sherry/dried fruit. maybe cherry. nice.

mouthfeel is great. nice body without being overly full. good moderate carbonation level.

drinkabilty is suprisingly high. hides its 10% really well. i could easily drink a few of these, and fall over. but it's good!

grub, Nov 04, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Pours a cloudy slightly dark amber color with peachish hues. Frothy and soaplike one finger cream colored head.
S: Extra bold pine hop aromas with citrus, mostly grapefruit notes. Nice bold sweet sugary maltyness also noticeable.
T/M: Pine and grapefruit hop notes with a dominant sweet malt undercurrent. Nice bitterness that lingers. Sweet malt takes on a sugary taste. Oily and resiny hop character slowly glides across the palate leaving a slick film behind. Bigger level of bitterness in the aftertaste once it warms a bit--more malty presence the colder it is. Smooth mouthfeel with a good level of carbonation. Medium to heavy body. Sweet and oily when you lick your lips. One damn good brew.
D: Pretty damn tasty dipa, but I didn't expect anything less from Stone. High abv of 10%? Noticeable in the warming of the chest, but besides that, not on the palate. I would drink bomber after bomber of this stuff, although after 3, I may not be standing any longer. Very very very drinkable even with the high abv. So smooth, yet so potent.

I wonder how this would hold up in the cellar. I would think the hop profile would suside a bit leaving the malt to dominate. Glad I had this sooner rather than later. On tap? Probably phenomenal. In the bottle, well...just exquisite. Get one if you can!

bjohnson, Sep 30, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

mitchfor3, Aug 22, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

The artwork continues to impress on Stone bottles. On this bottle the Stone demon strikes a stoic pose, proudly raising his beer mug in homage to me. The marketing worked, I was humbled by the salute and bought a couple bottles.

This is one sweet ipa. I poured it into a Ruination glass because it seemed appropriate, and it showcased the clear orange hop resin covered by a thick foam with a spitty consistency. Pine needle and grapefruit-like hop aromas are balanced by sweet malts for a perfect score on smell. The flavor was huge, very hoppy and malty and everything, a little bitter in the after-taste but I guess it's hardly avoidable.

The mouthfeel was thick and coating, another perfect score. I didn't taste the alcohol, but I'm starting to feel it so I guess it's there. This is a top-notch IPA, I completely recommend everyone tries it before it's gone.

TurdFurgison, Sep 02, 2006

On tap at Zeno’s in State College, PA
A: Attractive mahogany with a small, foamy, off-white, slowly diminishing head
S: Earthy malts and piney hops are quite inviting. A little floral.
T: Woodsy and smooth. Some dark fruit, caramel, brown sugar and a hint of pepper and alcohol. Dry, piney finish
M: Medium-full body, texture is lightly syrupy up front, finishing dry. Low carbonation
D: Great balance, great flavors. I really enjoyed this one and would buy this again for sure.

ski271, Aug 14, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Obviously Stone has few equals when it comes to hopped up brews (the RIS is no slouch either). It's with 0 surprise that I report the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is winner. Honestly when Stone focuses on this style its a no-brainer ... they win. Period. This brew is certainly no exception. The pour is honey bronze topped by an excitable creamy head. If only there was some lacing this would be perfect appearance wise. Nose is just massive and unrestrainable. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit. There's also plenty of malt that plays just the right supporting role never going so far as to steal the hops main attraction title. When I say there is malt I mean, THERE IS MALT! It isn't meek and does all it can to coexist peacefully with the hops while trying to usurp it in a friendly fashion. The malt is full of cherries, toasted corn, rum and caramel. There's also a bit of unexpected spice .... damn what a fantastic beer. Mouth is full and excessively creamy. Stone my hat is off to you. I would not hesistate to buy this beer again and again. A lovely double IPA.

TheBungyo, Aug 27, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass. Poured a rather cloudy, dull orange. Almost a brownish tint to it. Moderate amounts of lace on the glass from the two finger , frothy off-white head that had decent retention. Smelled strongly of citrus fruits, piney hops, and minor hints of alcohol. Tasted of orange, maybe some grapefruit hidden in there, lemon zest, and hops with a little bit of pine coming through. Needs to be a little warmer. Nice bitter hoppy brew that was smooth with a nice warming alcohol finish. The alcohol isn't too overpowering. Just enough carbonation. Glad I have a few of these kicking around because the drinkability is great. Definitely a new favorite of mine.

jaxon53, Nov 07, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Another Stone classic – those that can readily get these are indeed fortunate.

I mean, check this out: semi-hazy amber, poured hard in case the 10% tries to knock down the head. But it didn’t, got a nice ivory cap that left sticky laces. TONS of citrus, orange and hops in the aroma. Very sweet and sticky quaff, can’t believe the amount of orange in here. NO hint of alcohol, it slides oily and smooth.

Nice. Enough said, what more can you say about a superb brew>

Muchas Thanks to boolshot for sending this for my BA annv.

Vancer, Feb 03, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Bomber into a Duvel tulip, just in time for the first NFL kickoff of the season.

Appearance: A copper / amber / slightly orange hue to the body of the brew, with a head that dissipates fairly quickly (I poured it too cold which was a stupid idea). With some filling up the glass, however, some nice wet chunks of lacing stick around nicely.

Smell: Hot damn, happy 10th. A floral array of hop resin in both pine and grapefruit, and tons of malt fruitiness, peach, more citrus, some earthiness. But the peach comes in amazingly well, drippingly so almost, which is amazing when it's against the floral and bitter hop assault in the nose.

Taste: Lots of hops at first, floral, pine, and citrus: the triad of bitterness. The malty and fruity flavors come through after the hops pass (though really they never do), with, once again, peach dominating, which I absolutely love. Zest or rind fruit flavors come through, tropical fruit, orange peel, lemon peel, maybe some star fruit in there too. Finish is a great mix of both, with the lingering bitterness always there, but slowly fading into the fruit flavors--all of it's there for a surprisingly long time. Not to mention the flavors are so powerful that the alcohol, at least to me, really isn't felt in the taste at all, a true testament to the brew.

Mouthfeel: Slightly medium to full-bodied (though more on the medium side from what I can tell), seemingly, at first, but by the time the swallow comes, the carbonation diffuses enough so it's not syrupy, though I'm not sure how.

Drinkability: We all know this is a DIPA and not just an IPA, but damn it's a good one, and there's really nothing more perfect for Stone's 10th. I bought 5 bottles, and I imagine in around a year or so (or maybe 6 months?) this will be even more complex, with the malts doing even more. Fabulous stuff at this stage, and certainly something to seek out.

asabreed, Sep 08, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a deep orange hint of maroon. Leaves a thin tan head that disappears quickly. The aroma is fantastic, hoppy, citrusy, slight alcohol presence.
The hops in this brew dominate as this is a big IPA. The alcohol in this brew is pretty subtle but by the end of the bomber, I felt its presence clearly.
The finish is smooth and grapefruity. Malt presence is evident, but not overly strong.
Great beer, can't buy enough…

jerrymiller, Jun 06, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

This offering from Stone pours a deep orange maybe some hint of maroon very nice shading. It left a thin tan head that disappeared quickly but was remedied by a couple swirls in my Rapscallion snifter. The aroma is fantastic, pineapple, passion fruit, honey, hoppy citrus notes, slight alcohal presence, this is a very complex nose so much going on I don't think I can describe everything.

As I took the first sip there is a sweetness upfront of caramel and fruit, the hops in this brew actually don't dominate as much as I expected in a IIPA but don't get me wrong they are very much present. The alcohal in this brew is very suttle and by the end of this 22oz bottle I began to feel its presence. The finish is smooth a small grapefruit bitterness but because of that dominate malt presence not very stong. Overall this is a fantastic brew the aroma is phenomenal and well worth the price at $5.95/22oz bottle.

Franchise, Oct 02, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

22 oz bomber with a great silkscreen (#7 of 10) pours out a glowing orange with a chill haze. Thick, creamy head that sticks around well for something with so high an ABV.

Smells....glorious!!! Sweet pineapple is the dominant aroma, along with pine, orange, brown sugar, and all that pleases the senses. This is my idea of aromatherapy.

More of the same in taste...this quite a pleasurable experience for the palate. Lovely hop resins contribute pine, citrus, and spruce notes. Lots of fruity flavors here...again pineapple is forefront, but I also detect papaya, mango, orange, grapefruit, apple, and a very sweet and sturdy malt backbone. Wow! What a beer. Alcohol warming is evident, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is meduim to heavy, with quite of bit of (wonderful) hop resin aftertaste. Quite a bit of carbonation, and amazing head retention. I'm more than halfway through my beer and that head just won't quit. As for drinkability...it's amazing for such a big beer....or any beer, really.

Great beer...much sweeter than I expected. Not quite a barleywine, but not even close to as harsh as most DIPA's. Amazing fruit flavors. Worth seeking out. A must try if you can still find it.

1whiskey, Dec 19, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Reddish-amber with a huge cakelike yellow head. Poured into a Duvel snifter. Massive rings of lace. This is IPA perfection, visually perfect.

Nose is fresh-cut candied grapefruit. Distinctly piney, but successfully avoids the Pine-Sol syndrome. Very nice.

Wow! I may actually have tears in my eyes. This flavor is as near perfection for a DIPA as I have ever had. Immense without being too boozy. Solidly built malt foundation without being too sweet. A hop presence like none other, literally oozing with hop oils, but not too bitter. Top marks, without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy. Only a little tooth-strippiness, which surprised me given the huge hop levels.

Drinkability seems pretty damn good for such a big beer. I am halfway thru the bomber and the flavor remains fresh and tasty without becoming cloying or overwhelming.

An awesome brew. Truly worthy of Stone's 10th anniversary, and even worth the extended wait here in MA ;)

ghostwalker, Sep 20, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a light copper color, with a creamy one finger head that quickly falls. No lacing left behind, and only a small blanket over top of the glass.

Intensily aromatic does not even begin to describe this. Chock full of piney hops, with floral notes, as well as peach and apricot aromas. Slight amount of alcohol is present. If it wouldn't make me smell like an alcoholic, I'd happily wear this as a cologne.

The flavor here is incredibly well balanced, smooth, and huge at the same time. Somewhat grainy and sweet up front, but followed by a massive wave of floral and piney hops. Finish is solidly bitter, and leaves a thin coat of hop resin on your tongue and teeth, begging for another sip. Incredible. Mouthfeel creamy, but oddly, its a little thin considering the ABV. Drinkability is pretty good considering the alcohol.

Stone has always produced some of my favorite beers, and this one definitely does not disappoint. This is quite possibly one of my favorite new DIPA's, and ranks up there with the best. If it weren't for the 10% ABV, I could drink this all day. Now I really wish that it was a regular release. Maybe we'll get lucky, and stone will keep brewing this all year (like they did with Ruination after the 4th and 5th anniversarys). Maybe I'll go back and buy the rest of this that is on the shelf. Either way, I really hope that tonight is not the last time I drink this.... it is phenomenal.

Thank you Stone, for bringing a beer of this quality to the table. Regardless of how often I drink your beers, I'm amazed every time.

phisig137, Sep 07, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

This was the 100th micro I tried (yes I held out on having it to make sure it was my 100th)
A- 2" off white tan head. Cloudy amber color and as it warms it gets clearer till basically clear. Thin lacing but it is definitely there just not really thick. Sticks to side of glass also.
S- Hops! Citrus hops, with a malt back bone. Also picked up alcohol, grapefruit and orange.
T-Hops! Had alcohol taste on mid tongue but the burn well hidden. Got grapefruit and orange taste coming through the citrus hops. Lots of flavors going on but couldn't pin point them all down. Nice bitterness and a little bit bigger bitterness for the aftertaste. Has a medium/full body (more to the full side) and light on carbonation.
D-just AMAZING! Maybe wanted a little bit more bitterness but when a brew is this amazing why change it. This is my favorite DIPA and favorite beer by far. I can't get over it.

BlindPig, Aug 28, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Two pints worth at Ashley's on Friday the 13th during the MI Stone Release Party. Great time by the way! Thanks Stone! Dark gold edges around a glowing dark orange body. Small, persistent, off-white head. Nose is overflowing with sweet sugary malt, tropical fruits, and huge, numbing hop bitterness. Taste follows suit. Big sugary malt with complex fruitiness; tropical and rummy. Yummy. Hops come on strong; pineapple, pine, citrus, you name it! Bitterness is big, but not out of whack. Finish is warming and long and makes me want to drink more. A big beer for a big anniversary and I'm glad I got some of this. Full-bodied with a smooth, creamy feel. Here's to 10 more years!

alexgash, Oct 15, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

04-29-08 UPDATE. I had saved a bottle of this along with my Stone Vertical Epic collection, just for fun to see how it did. 18 months after my first review, I decided it was time to have it. I waited too long. A murky, muddy beer that still had a hoppy profile, but had lost all of its original beauty and loveliness. I didn't change the scores, just a note to say this one proves that it's best to drink fresh sometimes. No longer any of the things listed below; it had gone south some time ago.

08-25-06 ORIGINAL REVIEW.

Just found 22 oz bottles of this printed/painted bomber at LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $4.99, a pretty good price for Stone specialty brews (and they have cases of this right now). Picked up the 16 oz pint glass (1996-2006, 10 Years of Brewing Strong) for $2.99 for the occasion. Opened it almost as soon as I got home (got one from the store's refrigerated case).

OK, to hell with my normal reviewing style. I LOVE THIS BEER!

I can't say how it fares compared to my current favorite DIPA (Pliny the Elder), but it's in the same neighborhood, and that is one gorgeous, exclusive neighborhood. Beautifully carbonated dark malty wonder that just oozes aromas of tangerines, grapefruit (both sweet and sour citrus), grass, juniper, crushed pine needles, and just plain lovely lovely hops. As the beer hits the mouth, rich full mix of roasted malts and huge hops are amazing. And as the glass empties, the aroma stays around. So many beers lose aroma as they empty, this one just keeps coming.

My only real complaint is that the alcohol profile (burn) is a little strong, and the ABV is too high for me to drink this as fast as I want.

I don't love every Stone beer, and I say so when one doesn't grab me, but wow, this one is a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 12th to come back from 3 runs down. Cheers to the Stone team, and thank you for this beer.

Dukeofearl, Aug 25, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - burnt orange color, big white head with decent retention and moderate lacing, pretty transparent

s - big hops presence with lots of citrus and pine nicely balanced, very interesting aroma, alcohol is present as well

t - sweet maltiness at the start, then the citrusy/piney hops hit the palate, absolutely perfect DIPA in my opinion, the finish has an alcohol presence and is long and bitter with the hop oil coating the whole mouth

m - not much carbonation, medium-bodied, hop oil coats the mouth very well, mildly dry finish

d - I really want to drink this all night, but I know I would be miserable tomorow if I did, the 10%abv seems much less and the taste is amazingly complex and interesting which makes me want to keep on drinking

Wow. That's the best description of this beer. Stone has outdone itself with this 10th Anniversary brew. It makes me sad to think that this will not be brewed again. Hands down one of my favorite beers. I just wish I was in San Francisco another couple days to enjoy more of this amazing beer.

WeisGuy, Sep 20, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Very nice ruby amber beer. Pours a rocky, bubbly 2 finger head. Nice lacing all the way down.

This beer smells balanced. Strong citrus and pine from the hops and very fruity sweet smelling hops. Grapefruit, caramel, peach, and just a little alcohol smell.

Taste is just he same. Too many flavors to describe. Has a huge malt backbone that makes the hops seem subtle in the big picture. I'm sure the IBUs on this are pretty high despite this. Caramel, orange, and grapefruit. Slight alcohol especially as it warms.

Very oily. Sugary and syrupy almost like drinking a flat soda. Carbonation breaks up the oil well, but it could probably use just a touch more.

I could easily drink two bomber of this beer in a sitting, but the ABV keeps the drinkability a little lower. I have to be careful with this beer.

biking4beer, Nov 22, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a 2" head that last quite a while. Some light lacing develops during the session.

Smell: Oh baby. Tons of pine bitterness, grapefruit, and a hint of alcohol. Makes you want to sip it immediately.

Taste: big malty caramel backbone balanced with loads of sharp and dry bitterness, grapefruits, green grapes, and honey. The alcohol is clearly evident and provides a warming feeling with each sip. Big and bold flavors here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smoother towards the finish. Super long aftertaste as the bitterness stick to the tongue. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: the noticable alcohol warns you to not over indulge in this great beer. But then again, you should enjoy the few bottles you probably got your hands on over different evenings.

Gavage, Sep 16, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at the Davis Grad. According to Greg Koch, as soon as the warehouse is emptied, will be brewed, distributed, and served as sublimely self-righteous ale (no arrogant bastard pun intended).

A - Red pour, slightly cloudy, dissipates fast, but no lacing.

S - Cirtus, pineapple, grapefruit, flower, and caramel.

T - Amazing. Citrus, pineapple, and grapefruit. Very little malt, but who cares?

M - Smooth, full-bodied, excellent.

D - Excellent, so good, would love to suck on this one's teat for hours.

MisterClean, Jan 16, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10/22/06- Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, Fall 2006 release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Darker copper-amber colored pour. Full inch plus white and thick head. Very small tight knit bubbles. Patches, spots and streaks of lace left.

Smell- Sugary sweet grapefruit and pine hops. Very earthy toasted caramel malt backing. All around very nice meld.

Taste- Super caramel malt background. Perfect roasted malt flavor. Hops then explode with a nice and sweet grapefruit oil flavor. Also seems sticky sweet with a taste of pine sap. Yummo!

Mouthfeel- Thicker and sugary caramel mouth coating. Medium, maybe a bit higher carbonation level.

Drinkability- Leave it to Stone! Probably the most well rounded DIPA's I have had. It's both a malt and hop bomb. It almost tastes like a combo barleywine and DIPA. Reminds me a lot of Speakeasy Old Godfather with a bit less caramel and more flavorful hops. Quite a delicious brew. Highly recommended. I'm fortunate to have a 3 Liter of this to share in a few weeks in celebration of my first child.

GClarkage, Mar 11, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, so I got lucky, located and purchased 3 of these about a month ago… I was waiting for special occasions to open them, but since I had no special occasion last Sunday, I celebrated the fact that my Cincinnati Bengals have won the last 4 in a row - that’s a worthy cause for celebration, right? (Well, at least it’s better than celebrating “End of thirst”!)

I love the gargoyle artwork on the bottle - I think it’s the best bottle design Stone has put out so far…

I grabbed it out of the basement, put it in the fridge for about 30-40 minutes then cracked it open. I poured it in my snifter, took a whiff and knew instantly this beer was going to bite back. It sat dark amber or copper in my glass - with a modest creamy head.

HOLY CRAP was my first thought - then after filtering out the abundance of flavors in my head, I was able to discern serious amounts of alcohol, sweet lemon rinds, grapefruits, oranges and a pile of biscuity malts. Like sniffing many of Stone’s brews – get ready for a punch to the nose!

As expected, this is a full flavored DIPA demonstrating a high amount of bitterness with a whirlwind of hops and malts. There’s alot going on with this beer and I found it very enjoyable, but not for the timid beer drinker. This is a seriously heavy beer and with an ABV of 10%, who needs dinner?

Like everything from Stone, you can taste the quality & fine craftsmanship in each of their beers including this one. This is a beer everyone should try at least once!

beachbum1975, Dec 14, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

So i'll start this out saying, I am not the biggest IPA fan. But man, after this beer, i'll start seeking out some of the better ones. Poured a amber/copper color into my pint glass with a nice frothy 1 inch head that went down to a thin layer on top. Smell was of nice resiny piney hops which is what I like in IPA's. Taste is simply amazing, citrusy, piney, hoppy with some nice bitterness settling into a nice rich malty background finish. I love it, I am not huge on the bitter IPA finish, but this finished sweet and tasty. Mouthfeel was rich, sticky sweet and bitter, pretty nice. Drinkability I will say is high, this is a great beer, refreshingly sweet and bitter, I love the citrusy hops this has, and man that 10% abv isnt tasteable in the beer, but boy does it creep up on ya. A truely amazing beer and quite possibly the best IPA this BA has ever had.

Iguana, Sep 12, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip, a clear, bright orangey-amber with a fluffy, 1-finger off-white head. Left some chunks of lacing as I drank my way down the glass.

S: Immediate assault of tropical fruits dominated by pineapple -- sugar dusted, honey-coated pineapple -- and grapefruit and mango. Also evident as it warms is just a hint of pine and a peppery spice, presumably from the 10% ABV. Nice.

T: Sugary-sweet pineapple juice follows the nose to the taste. A peppery spice is evident briefly up front, along with a honey-caramel malt sweetness. But both flavors are quickly beaten back by the tropical fruit salad of the hops. A palate-shredding bitterness tears the roof off my mouth, but then repairs it by coating the hole it left with mouth-watering sweet pineapple, mango, grapefruit and even tangerine or maybe mandarin orange. It finishes with a nicely balanced menage-a-trois of peppery spice, malty sweetness and fruity hop bitterness. An interesting experience all around -- it literally makes my mouth water after each sip, simply demanding that you take the next sip.

M: Definitely full-bodied. Smooth and creamy, maybe just a tad bit oily.

D: Excellent. As I said above, it creates a Pavlovian desire for the next sip. As a heavier offering you're going to go a bit slow, but it's not a chore to drink this at all. 'Tis a pleasure.

Notes: I shared this (a small portion, that is) with a wine drinker who was wowed by the complexity of flavors and balance going on here. Another person who sampled from his glass asked "is there pineapple juice in this?" giving me a chance to explain that it was the hops (Simcoes I believe) that imparted that flavor, nothing else. This is a remarkable beer that I believe now rates atop my list of reviewed beers. Highly, highly recommended.

Kendo, Jan 14, 2007
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.