Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Took me about 10 minutes to read the back of the damn bottle, but I'm glad I did... cheers back at ya Mr. Koch!

Poured into a chalice... brilliant deep hazy orange with a 1/2" bright white head which disipates rather quickly. Still, quite a nice looking brew.

WHEW! Smell that pine! I know of few aromas I love more than that of hops, and this one is full of it! Add to that the aromas of grapefruit and other citrus. Fantastic.

KABLAAM!... take that palate! This beer is an all out assault on the taste buds, and I love it. I'm trying hard to remember other DIPAs I like more than this one, and nothing immediately comes to mind. Certainly some in the same league (Great Divide's DIPA, Stone's own Ruination, DFH 90min) but none I would consider better. Tremendous flavours of sharp citrus and pine. Some barely perceptable maltiness comes in the middle, but is quickly beaten down by the huge hop profile. What a brew.

Wonderfully thick and creamy with subdued carbonation.... I actually thought this one would have a bit more carbonation from the appearance, but am pleasantly surprised... Stone lets the hops do the biting on this one, and I, for one, am glad they did.

Drinkable? Sure... especially for a 10% brew. I don't think I could handle more than one bomber in a night though.... too mighty for me.
I have great, great respect for this beer. Here's to another 10 fantastic years for the boys and girls at Stone.

PROST!

NEW NOTES FROM TASTING THANKSGIVING 2009:
Tasted again Thanksgiving 2009-same as prior notes but with much richer, bolder and more integrated flavors.

Big pineapple nose;

big rich flavors-bourbon/whiskey flavors but super well balanced and drinking incredibly.

Currently drinking so well (and having been properly stored) I would call it one of the best all around beers I've ever consumed at this point in time. It currently has the flavor profiles of the "cask version" tapped at Stone during it's WinterStorm but with more carbonation.

This beer is currently wonderful. Please, if you have one try it now. This is exactly what one strives for and desires when aging a beer. Just my opinion.

ORIGINAL NOTES FROM 6/25/09:
Bottle - Dark orange honey color with a nice white head.

Mildly sweet orange nose with underlying malt and a hint of banana.

Bold rich and creamy mouth feel with a front palate flavor of sweet fruit, carmel and malt and a finish of grapefruit hops and light burnt toast. Some creamy coffee flavors throughout.

Complex and layered flavors. Interesting example of the bottle being better than the tap.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

The hounds seem to know when this yearly release will be good. The last two years, I could have bought cases and cases of the stuff. This year, I had to go far out of my way to obtain one bottle of the nectar. As it usually goes, the quicker it disappears the better it is. And this year is phenomenal.

Out of the precious bottle comes a slow-glugging liquid and head production, owning to its high-gravity. Streamy ruby-copper. Not so pale, but a great ghastly cling arises.

Nose is cheery and overflowing with hops; peachy, gummy, hop-candy. Like the best IPAs, this one seems to be the aroma personification of an actual hop-plant.

Taste is a mouth-numbing flash of goo-sugar (par for the Stone big-IPA course) heat, and tangy-citrus. Liquified hop-perfume.

Lingering bitterness clashes with the close-to-barleywine goo-slick. One bomber disappears quickly and administers proper brain-damage. I bet I would have bought many bottles of this had I been able to. As it stands, a great hat-tip for a great 10 years.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

I thought I'd write another review of this beer 8 months after having this for the first time. Poured into an oversized wine glass. I acquired this bottle from a trade with mookow some 6 months ago and some 8 months after it first hit the shelves. This excellent beer pours a clear, deep reddish medium golden color with an orange hue lots and of little bubbles rising up. The head was a good 2/3 inch when poured before settling to a nice surface film layer and a nice white ring lining the inside of my glass along with some damn fine lacing. Even after aging in my cellar for 6 months this baby is still dominated by hops aroma wise. Sweeter aromas of malt and some floral, fruity aromas of grapefruit are also present. Although this beer is not quite the bitter hop monster it was tastewise when I first had it 8 months ago the taste is also still dominated by hops upfront followed by surprisingly sweet malt and a hint of sour grapefruit. Extremely well balanced tastewise. Has a fairly crisp, but also smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied mouthfeel as well with moderate to high carbonation. I found the mouthfeel to also be sort of chewy or syrupy, but in a good way. This beer sure mellowed with age, but is also certainly more drinkable now. In fact it is surprisingly drinkable. The 10% ABV is well hidden taste and drinkability wise, but you really start to feel it after a few sips. Definitely not a session beer. Not that I have any more of this anyways. This was sadly my second and, at least for now, last bottle. I sure hope I can get more and that Stone decides to brew this on a regular basis, even if is just as one of their yearly seasonals or even becomes a rotating release. This beer does the winning like few others! WOW! Anyone who has any extra bottles of this they don't want or want to trade for please beermail me ASAP!

Eric

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Crystal clear red-orange body, topped by a highly whipped four fingers of milk shake like froth. Excellent lacing.

A haymaker of pine punches the nose, and as the head spins it notes the grapefruit and orange groves on the outskirts of the pine forest.

Thick chewy caramely malt hits the tongue like the troops at Normandy, but its quickly engulfed by luscious juicy pulpy oranges, and then a pine tree falls on you. It all big and bold, except the alcohol, which adds shading but never takes the spotlight.

Solid, well-crafted mouthfeel has some viscosity to it. Drinkability is delightful and perhaps dangerous.

An outstanding example of an Imperial/double IPA. If you like IPAs at all, and haven't tried this, run to your nearest store.

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Amber color with a thick white head. Smells incredible with notes of pineapple, mango, pine, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is similarly complex, starting with a very obvious pineapple taste, that fades into bready malts, caramel, and piny, hop bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden with only some warming in the throat. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Very drinkable for such a big beer. This is definitely Stone's best creation, and one my favorites in general.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Sweet jesus; I love my IPAs and I love Stone, but this even threw me. It poured a wonderful dark amber color with an off-white head and excellent lacing.
The nose is obviously dominated by hops, but had a lot more going on; sweet fruits and citrus, mild vanilla and very mild malts.
Sweet fruits and creamy vanilla are all but masked by a heavy assauly of bitter and piney hops.
There is a lot going on in this beer and I can't even begin to describe it all. I do have to admit I agree with some of the other reviewers that there was a lot more sweetness than I anticipated, but I find more often than not breweries like to really stick it to you with WAY too much hop bitterness, which makes for a bad experience. I think this was balaned almost perfectly, both in taste and feel, which started bitter and very sweet, then faded into an almost syrpy dryness if thats possible. Very clean and enjoyable, another fantastic beer from Stone.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

2-fingers of eggshell cream cap a clear, medium umber. Cloudiness developed upon subsequent pours form the bottle.

Aroma is of juicy mandarin oranges, candied grapefruit rinds, some pineapple and macerated pine needles - all swirling about in a heady, virulent harmony.

Everything detected in the nose is robustly confirmed in the flavor but with a sweet, crushing wall of toffee-caramel malt which brings things into surprising balance. Fireweed honey, a subtle nuttiness, and a suggestion of rose-hip tea appear before the stinging heat of brash alcohol asserts itself. Whoa.

Smooth, fine bubbles jettison a rich, oily body, which is squarely in Barleywine territory as far as mouthfeel goes, but the strong alcohol dries out the finish and begs another sensory-overloading sip. This is like drinking a fine, hop-malt spirit and oh-so-enjoyable throughout. One of my favorite beers ever, and I believe I need to go grab another case. While I love the fresh-hop character, I’m quite curious to see where some age takes this beer.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Very cool bottle design. This bottle had the story of Karen Westfall (#9 of 10). The label is much more simple than most of the other Stone offerings. It is pretty cool to read up on an employee on an anniversary bottle. This 10% beauty pours an orange/copper color, with a thick rocky off-white head. Very good head retention for a beer of this size. Raw piney hops combine with citrusy hop aroma, particularly orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Candy coated caramel malt, with a lot of sweetness goes to battle against the hop army in this one. Piney, citrusy, sticky sappy hop flavor, goes perfect with this sweet malt. Medium body, with just enough carbonation to carry. Nice patches of sticky lace cling to the glass at the end. The alcohol is not very noticable, however there is some warming at the end. This is a tremendous beer. Happy Anniversary Stone! Another great example of American Craft Beer at its best! I must have more!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a beautiful deep copper color with a modest head that dissipates slowly.

Great piney hop aroma.

Taste is superb, very well balanced for such a hoppy brew. The finish, however, brings the full asault of the hops.

Mouthfeel is quite good, very smooth and enjoyable.

Drinkability is good for the ABV. Has to be if I'm going to get through this 3 L. bottle.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

This brew was a clear amber, with a one finger head that died away to a thin film that left good lacing around the glass.

The aroma was strong mingled pine and citrus. This was a hop bomb. No malt to speak of. Lots of resinous quality.

Taste was of strong pine and hop resins, with a strong malt backbone. This was nice and warm going down. One really REALLy good brew.

Mouthfeel was a little oily, pretty chewy. Had a bite going down.

Drinkability was deceptively good... I could do two bombers of this stuff, and at 10%, that would knock me on my ass.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a clear, orange copper with a medium, near-white head. Excellent retention, with thick lacings.

A sweet, citrusy malt character is overcome by an explosion of tantalizing hops. I fully expect to see a sprig of pine swimming in my glass, but alas it's just delicious smelling beer. This is a hophead's cologne.

After smelling this divine nectar, I was almost hesitant to take a sip. Too many times have I been drawn in by a glorious aroma, only to be under whelmed by the taste. This is not one of those times. There is a flavor of sweet fruit up front that quickly and sharply mixes with a dry, citrus character and a divine euphoria of hops. I can nearly sense the pine needles traversing my palate. The high alcohol percentage is very noticeable in the warming and in the dry aftertaste.

This has an excellent mouthfeel, as it is less viscous than other potent double IPA's. A slight syrupy consistency blends perfectly with the carbonation. This could easily be the most drinkable double IPA that I've ever had.

I love Stone. I love hops. I love IPA's. I often feel that double IPA's lose something in their pursuit for the most over-the-top beer. For me, this is the benchmark for the style. Smooth, hoppy, delicious and dangerously drinkable at ten percent.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up a few of these when they came out and have but one left.

Appearance: Poured a darker amber color - very appealing.

Smell: The smell was immediately there and was very inviting. Hops and a strong citrus smell are very apparent.

Taste: Flavor is excellent with the hoppy and citrus really grabbing you. Well done though - you feel like you're getting everything out of this beer without getting overwhelmed or lost.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and agreeable.

Drinkability: For such a strong beer (10%) it drinks very well and you don't feel overwhelmed by it. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Although I'm not a high end beer rater with the ability to break down a beer to color, apperance, lacing...yada, yada, yada...I do however have the the ability to know what I like...and this is a beer that I could like forever...

This beer falls in the top ten of all the beers I've ever had...

If you like hops....then search no further....Stone has cornered the market!!!!

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Dangerously drinkable and very potent, this beer lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. The beer pored a deep brown color with a beautiful thick off white head. The beer smelled like candied hops, that's the only way I can describe it. Great sweet maltiness mixed in with huge citrus hops and a candy like scent. The flavor was outstanding. Reminded me of a more complex and aged Arrogant Bastard. Very hoppy but what I love about the beer was the great tasting malt(s) used to balance the flavor and add more character. Very citrusy hops and the malts were nice and robust and mixed in nicely with the slight alchoholic flavors in the finish. All in all this one is great to drink now but I have a feeling that it will only get better with age.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours medium to dark amber, clear and bubbly with a cream-colored bubbly head. Nice caramel and floral aroma with a hint of roasted malt.

Flavor - One of my all-time favorites. Malty start with a nutty, sweet middle, and light bitter (for the style) finish. Very nicely balanced between hops and malt.

Slightly syruppy mouthfeel. "I could drink gallons."

4.88/5  rDev +14%

I tasted this beer, and to be honest, this is exceptional beer. I am used to the strong ales produced by Stone. In fact I bought a bottle of 10th anniversary for my friends to see how they like it first. This beer is awesome, it has one of the best malt backgrounds that one can hope for. The smell is that of a light grass. The mouthful taste like heaven, and the taste matches. To be honest with everyone I hope they produce this year round. I love Yulesmith, but this one is just as good if not better. I feel I am a traitor when I say this. But it is the truth, this beer rocks, would love to have it on cask or naturally carbonated. Thanks Stone and I wish you another happy 10 years.
This beer is sweet, and makes one wanting more. There is no way that this beer is 10.0 abv, because with the taste you will never know.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

I don't know how I possibly could have gotten this any fresher than I did. Fresh off the dolly as it entered the beverage wharehouse and cold. 20 cases rolled in, 19 were left standing. Pours a perfect, shiney copper with a seafoam type, loose head that leaves sliding cover all the way down.

Hoppy nose for sure. Comes across more balanced in the taste and is done very well. A darker candied feel to the malts, caramel comes to mind. Citrusy, Orange, mild spiceyness. Some American Stong Ale characteristics in the malt balance. Peppery in the aftertaste. In short, this brew has a little bit of everything: Silky smooth mouthfeel that later shreds at ya and clamps down. Citrusy, Spicey hops that battle with a rather large malt bill and the alcohol splash is pleasing? Yes sir, please open another.

Notes: Incredibly complex.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

this is far and away my favorite beer (...as of yet...)

A - bright, vibrant copper color, or burnt orange, or whatever you want to call it. thick, white head that faded to gorgeous lacing on both the top of the beer and down the glass.

S - This smell will provide the bench mark for all other smells. A whallop of citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops, toasted caramel malts, and faint wiffs of fruity alcohol. My mouth watered.

T - So. Very. Good. Big, juicy hoppy taste, which hides the (10%!) alcohol quite nicely. Some sweetness from the malts, but this is a showcase for the hops. The flavor lingers for a while after the sip has gone down and there is nice warming feeling in the back of the mouth and throat. Very well balanced.

M - Heavy mouthfeel, but not overly so. This big feel just adds to the taste and doesn't make the beer syrupy at all.

D - This is beer as food, and in the best way. I'm so sad I didn't get to have more of this, as it seems the local stores are out of the 22s. crap.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA was clear, copper/brass in color and topped by a large, off-white head. Aroma had notes of grapefruit, lemon, and orange, with a bready undertone. Flavor begins sweet and bready, followed with lemon zest and orange, and finished with bitterness and a hint of alcohol. Body was in the medium-full range and the carbonation was in the mid-range.

Stone 10th is a big, bold, and bitter beer, but still is remarkably balanced. I feel a bit guilty that I didn't share this IPA. Oh well, I'll get over it. Seek out this beer.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 22 oz Bomber. Man Im glad I cam upon a stash of this stuff.

Appearance was a light orangish amber color with brilliant clarity and an off white head that was slightly smaller than anticipated but stayed around a long while (perhaps a more vigorous pour was in order).

The smell was heavenly - Huge, wet pine hits the nose and penetrates all the way through to the throat. Hints of pineapple and grapefruit also seep through.

Taste was a fine example of balance. First the mouthfeel of a residually sweet malt hits you, earthy cherry and even hints of bubblegum are present giving way to a great hop profile. The hops hit you gradually giving you just enought time to tatse the malt before kicking in further in somewhat of an exponential scale until full bitterness and even a hint of peppery spiciness is achieved and the alcohol warms all the way down your throat.

As the beer warms the alcohol becomes more apparent but is still balanced by the huge hop presence.

Carbonation was spot on as well.

My only knock on the beer was initial small head but the retention was outstanding.

Grab some if you can.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Exceptional on all fronts.

Appearance - Beautiful gold/pale with lots of floaties. Wonderful dense and frothy head.

Nose - deliciously hoppy nose! As soon as i popped the cap you could smell the citrusy hops. Mind blowingly intense nose.

Taste - Fascinating! Very bright and fresh malty notes combine with an aggressive tropical hop profile. Some tropical fruit notes - possibly pineapple with some passion fruit? The brightness of this beer is wonderful. Really glides across the palette and sparks the wonder factor hugely. Malty notes are sparkly and refreshing with a bitter finish that is very refined and appreciated.

mouthfeel - exceptional. perfect mouthfeel - bright and hoppy with a fullbodied but not cloying in any way.

drinkability - excellent. potent brew though.

conclusion: one of the most exceptional IPAs i've had the pleasure of drinking. Absolutely spot on for the style and my favorite of all the stone brews. Three thumbs up!

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.