2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Ratings: 461 | Reviews: 405 | Show All Ratings:
klewis

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours a clear copper color with a 3-finger frothy head with great sustain. Lots of lacing and a head that finally settles at a full 1/2".

S: Big vegetal hops smell with some aroma of grapefruit and green tea.

T: Full on hops flavor, low on bitterness. Well-balanced with some spiciness and a prominent alcohol character.

M: Full-bodied and very smooth with light-moderate carbonation. This one will warm you right up.

D: I'm not a huge fan of DIPA's (including Ruination), yet I find this one quite drinkable. The alcohol in the taste could stand to mellow a bit, but everything else about this beer is quite pleasant.

08-30-2006 03:03:35 | More by klewis
instrumentality

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked a couple of bottles of this one up at the local, overpriced liquor store. I was told by the store owner that it had only been in for a week and they weren't expecting another batch, but somehow I restrained myself from buying out the rest of his supply.

After finding a new home in my Stone IRS tulip glass, I observed this brew's clear amber body with a finger of off-white foamy head that took quite awhile to subside while the halo left behind remained at its full height, encircling a lacy center with scattered large white bubbles.

The smell was a delightful mix primarily of pear and tangerine with suggestions of pine and a tiny hint of grapefruit.

The first sip revealed a much more powerful (typical Stone) sensory experience than I could predict from the odors. First my taste buds detected pine and alcohol, then grapefruit, and this time the sweetness of tangerine/pear was more subdued. My palate continued to tingle for a couple of minutes from the strong hop flavor and alcohol and a slight lingering tangerine/pear.

The body felt slightly syrupy. Holding a swallow in my mouth for a couple of moments, I felt a slight alcohol burn on the roof of my mouth followed by a much more pronounced burn on my tongue. Each sip caked my mouth with more piney hop flavor; that typical less-than-clean finish that causes me to tend to prefer single IPAs over their stronger double bretheren.

I have to take my time with this one due to the hop and alcohol attack, but flavor-wise, Stone's 10th is definitely a winner, although it would need to be slightly more balanced for my tastes to earn a perfect 5. I'd say this one is closer to Dreadnaught in flavor than Ruination. I'm looking forward to investigating this brew on tap in a couple weeks.

08-29-2006 01:28:01 | More by instrumentality
BlindPig

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

This was the 100th micro I tried (yes I held out on having it to make sure it was my 100th)
A- 2" off white tan head. Cloudy amber color and as it warms it gets clearer till basically clear. Thin lacing but it is definitely there just not really thick. Sticks to side of glass also.
S- Hops! Citrus hops, with a malt back bone. Also picked up alcohol, grapefruit and orange.
T-Hops! Had alcohol taste on mid tongue but the burn well hidden. Got grapefruit and orange taste coming through the citrus hops. Lots of flavors going on but couldn't pin point them all down. Nice bitterness and a little bit bigger bitterness for the aftertaste. Has a medium/full body (more to the full side) and light on carbonation.
D-just AMAZING! Maybe wanted a little bit more bitterness but when a brew is this amazing why change it. This is my favorite DIPA and favorite beer by far. I can't get over it.

08-28-2006 07:30:27 | More by BlindPig
RidiculedDisplay

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Wow.

Appearance: pours a beautiful blood orange amber, with some blond accents. A frothy head which settles into a smaller, barely-there froth, with some very, very pretty lacing upon swirling the glass.

Smell: Wowy wow wow. Undoubtedly one of the most pleasant noses I've ever smelled on a beer, ever. So much going on, as others have said: piney, floral, and citrusy hops up front, criss crossing with some incredible ester-like tropical malt aromas, including pineapple, kiwi, blueberry, and a little apple, dissolving into an earthy, slightly alcoholic backbone. Just incredible.

Taste: Again, wow. The so-familiar hop bitterness kicks in first, orangey, citrusy stuff with some floral accents. So many hop flavors whoo. Pineapple, kiwi, strawberry, blueberry malt flavors next, criss crossing, again, with the hop flavors in almost perfect matrimony. Lastly, an earthy rusticness grounds your palate. Slight alcoholic sting, but the 10% is hidden extremely, extremely well. Great.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, juicy, as another reviewer said perhaps a little under carbonated, but I didn't mind.

Drinkability: Amazing. I could drink these for hours, if not for the deceptive ABV (you only remember its percentage when you finish one and have that familiar warm body sensation). Just an amazing IIPA, unlike any other I've really had. I'd probably pick this over Yule Smith, even, but that's just me. One of my favorite beers ever - hands down. I've been a Stone fan for a long time, but this is just on a pillar of greatness not reached by anything I can remember.

08-28-2006 04:52:34 | More by RidiculedDisplay
scott

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

'06-Holy Shit!, this stuff is blowing me away! I am a malt man, so there aren't very many IPA's that would ever garner this much admirition from me. Wow! Half of a glass into this and I can't keep up with my thoughts.
Absolutely gorgeous pour (think blood apricot with a beautiful full head of curls), that dims quickly, but is reconstituted with a few swirls.
A bodaciously huge citric fruit nose (I feel like I'm walking through a grapefruit orchard). Very floral, clean & fragrant.
Great juicy fruit tartness, and not overly bitter, with a subtle malt finish.
Great on the tongue, but maybe a little too much syrup on the finish.
Again, I am not what a beerman would befriend if he were a hop-head, but holy shit!, this beer is damn-near perfect. And this review is not influenced by any of the Stone hype. Very balanced.

08-28-2006 01:35:53 | More by scott
ressletr

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I tasted this beer, and to be honest, this is exceptional beer. I am used to the strong ales produced by Stone. In fact I bought a bottle of 10th anniversary for my friends to see how they like it first. This beer is awesome, it has one of the best malt backgrounds that one can hope for. The smell is that of a light grass. The mouthful taste like heaven, and the taste matches. To be honest with everyone I hope they produce this year round. I love Yulesmith, but this one is just as good if not better. I feel I am a traitor when I say this. But it is the truth, this beer rocks, would love to have it on cask or naturally carbonated. Thanks Stone and I wish you another happy 10 years.
This beer is sweet, and makes one wanting more. There is no way that this beer is 10.0 abv, because with the taste you will never know.

08-28-2006 00:05:17 | More by ressletr
unklesyd

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

I've been waiting for this one for a while, and anticipation was high. It is my last day of summer break, so this seemed like a good one to celebrate with.

Very nice clear burnt amber with a thin off-white head that leaves some lacing and some continuous fine carbonation.

Fantastic hop aroma. Piney, resinous and some dried candied fruit.

Very well balanced brew. The bitterness is offset by a sweet malt backbone. The original gravity must have been quite high to leave so much residual sugar. Nice flavor, but a little bit drier, more hop forward flavor was expected.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a warming presence left by the alcohol, which was masked well in the flavor.

I can drink the bomber down easily and still be ready for more (until the ABV catches up). Cheers to Stone for 10 great years!

08-27-2006 22:54:13 | More by unklesyd
TheBungyo

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

Obviously Stone has few equals when it comes to hopped up brews (the RIS is no slouch either). It's with 0 surprise that I report the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is winner. Honestly when Stone focuses on this style its a no-brainer ... they win. Period. This brew is certainly no exception. The pour is honey bronze topped by an excitable creamy head. If only there was some lacing this would be perfect appearance wise. Nose is just massive and unrestrainable. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit. There's also plenty of malt that plays just the right supporting role never going so far as to steal the hops main attraction title. When I say there is malt I mean, THERE IS MALT! It isn't meek and does all it can to coexist peacefully with the hops while trying to usurp it in a friendly fashion. The malt is full of cherries, toasted corn, rum and caramel. There's also a bit of unexpected spice .... damn what a fantastic beer. Mouth is full and excessively creamy. Stone my hat is off to you. I would not hesistate to buy this beer again and again. A lovely double IPA.

08-27-2006 22:11:22 | More by TheBungyo
idResponse

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a nice pintglass with a ruination IPA logo on it that stone kindly sent me. I didn't get much head from it as I'm a very careful pouring sort of fellow who tries to avoid head. The little head I did get is still laced around the edge without much hanging to the glass. Being a huge Ruination IPA fan I was expecting a lot from something touting both "Stone" and "Anniversary" celebrations in the same sentence. They have done a wonderful job, although I think there might be a little bit too much alcohol to the beer. It looks superb as an IPA should but has no noticeable sediment as usual with Stone brews. It smells excellent! I wanted to guzzle at first but I minded myself and didn't. At 10% I'm getting drunk just smelling the stuff, and the 10% really shows in the taste. It doesn't have much bite, and kind of has a bit of belgian style aftertaste in it. You can taste the alcohol but it blends in fairly well. The mouthfeel is flat and a little bland. Overall the drinkability of this beer is okay, but it is hardly able to match up to the Ruination. I'm not entirely sold on this being an actual IPA. Something doesn't quite stack up in the taste. It's a bit over fermented or something, I can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for.

08-27-2006 17:25:08 | More by idResponse
mzwolinski

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

Well, it's good to see Stone getting back to their roots. Big-ass IPAs. That's what made 'em famous, and there's a reason for it.

Ya gotta love the new logo. Very sleek looking gargoyle. And the stories on the back of the bottle are a nice reflection on where the company's been and going.

Anyways, on to the beer! The hop aroma hits you in the face right upon cracking open the bottle. Resiny and strong with a strong pine character and subtle notes of tropical fruit.

The flavor starts off juicy like you wouldn't believe. Luscious and ripe. Surprisingly (and a bit unpleasantly) sweet, actually -- it reminds me a bit of a young 120 minute IPA from Dogfish Head. The alcohol heat is noticeable, but unexpectedly understated for such a strong beer. Big time bitterness present throughout, but it doesn't hit quite as hard in the finish as I would have expected.

Very full bodied and bitter, but a littlle bit on the under-carbonated side. The beer goes downhill as it warms with both the undercarbonation and the over-sweetness becoming much more noticeable as defects.

All in all, I'd say that the beer has potential for aging. There are some nice surprises in the flavor profile which I expect will strengthen with time, and the defects, I suspect, will mellow. Don't be shy about putting this one away for a couple years! By extra now if you're weak-willed...

08-26-2006 06:19:08 | More by mzwolinski
TheLongBeachBum

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

10th Anniversary Ale, August 2006 - Sampled FRESH!

Served after a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews over the last few days. Now I get to finally sample the latest Stone 10th Anniversary India Pale Ale offering.

Presentation: Slick and rather downbeat simplistic Bottle design. Long gone is the large numbered 80’s stylistic affair from the 7th, 8th and 9th. The Tenth has the winged Gargoyle in a silvered upstanding poise, proudly raising his Birthday Pint high. Scripted text below “Stone 10th Anniversary India Pale Ale”. 10% Alc/Vol. The reverse contains one of ten designs, mine is #9 of 10 with a write up from Karen Westfall.

Appearance: Dark amber body, perfectly lucid with a striking clarity. Backlit on the desk, the body of this IPA projects the warm comfort of a Saffron sunset, glowing with a faded ember red as it lowers the heart-rate and relaxes the imbiber. The dissolved conditioning is average in strength but nicely punctuates the body with creamy swathes when swirled; it also supports the thinning head which covers but breaks over the surface. The thick ring dirty white halo remains throughout and rings the glass edges like the rope border on a Cricket Ground…..a “Four” indeed.

Nose: Gorgeously attractive soft fruity tones are immediately blasted with a pungent warming alcohol odor as you bury your nose into this one. Oranges, sweet boiled candy, fleshy tangerines, mandarins, Satsuma’s and other hesperidia. Fruit Salad backbone is bolstered with a massive blast of double digit ethanol, which is currently very raw. Sweetness has a healthy dollop of Earthy Pine Oils which suggest a medicated background.

Taste: Young, brash, cocky, urban and “up for it”. No punches are pulled, this is one champ that starts young and intends to stay at the top for some time. Right now, it will take a few knocks and learn some lessons along the way, but you know that it could make a great champion. The ingredients are all here.

Mouthfeel: Oily and menthol in the finish, whilst the earlier trend is of a high alcohol orange tainted English Barleywine. Distilled Pine needles lend an organic and Earthy nature.

Drinkability: Initially the well spaced out sips build into a more frequent natured quaffer. Despite its rough edges, and there are some, this has a solid Drinkability and rather appeasing “Crack” like quality.

Overall: It is very interesting that Stone refer to this as just (sic) an India Pale Ale, I’m glad in a way that they avoided the Imperial, Double, “mine’s bigger than yours” monikers. A good old fashioned Stone Anniversary, firmly back to its roots. It will be great to watch this one grow up.

08-26-2006 06:14:40 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with a frothy, fairly good lasting, initially three-finger thick, tan colored head that is a mix of finally beaded bubbles and ones that are a bit bigger. The beer itself is a brilliantly clear, darkish amber color that shows a lightly, ruby hued, amber color when held up to the light. Initially the aroma is a massive hit of candied fruit. Notes of mandarin orange oranges in syrup (straight from the can) mix with notes of lychee, juicy fruit and sweet tangerine. A touch of menthol like pine barely is able to peek through all of the massive hop fruitiness. This beer is really sweet smelling, though it is mostly hop derived, but I am sure the malt character contributes to the sweetness. All in all this is a very smooth, yet massively hoppy aromatic brew.

Quite sweet up front, this is quite thick on the palate as well, or at least thick for an IPA or even Double IPA. The massive fruitiness of the aroma is definitely in the flavor as well. Perhaps it is not as sweet as the aroma seems, but it is still fairly sweetly fruity seeming. Candied fruit is still an apt descriptor; notes of lychee soaked in syrup are quite prominent, as well as notes of mandarin orange, and candied grapefruit peels. Starting somewhere in the middle is a light pine note that carries through to the finish, though it is mostly drowned out by the amped up fruit notes. This has a nice light lingering bitterness. I only say light because of the massive malt induced body and hop / malt induced sweetness, which tends to mitigate the otherwise ample bitterness.

This is a hop combination which is quite enjoyable, it really reminds me a whole lot of the Brewers Den Uwe's hop glow Triple IPA. I think that edges this one out though, and since I encountered that first, this does not quite seem as original. It is still quite tasty and I really like how smooth, yet incredibly hoppy this beer is. I must say that this is quite tasty though, and is definitely a huge step up from the 9th Anniversary ale.

08-26-2006 04:50:01 | More by Gueuzedude
nlmartin

This beer was served in a Imperial Pint Glass. I approaced this beer with a mixture of anticipation and dread. I feared after drinking the 9th Anniversary Stones had lost their way. This company made its way with ballsy hoppy beers. I am glad to see the 10th Anniversary IPA indeed has a pair of Stones. Thanks Stones for a great beer! The sad thing is its a one time offering. I am tempted to try and cellar some; however, I think cellaring would destroy the lovely character of this beer.

Appearance: The beer pours a coppery orange coloration. The beer has a thick two+ finger biege head. The head has near perfect staying power. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is a fantastic combination of resinous pine needles, citrus zest, oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruit, pineapple sweetness, grassy floral hops. This is a hop lovers delight.

Taste: The beer delivers the taste of the smell. This is a great blend of the above flavors paired well with some sweet caramel maltyness. The alcohol gives the beer complementing spicyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium plus body. The beer has a fantastic combination of crisp hoppyness and sticky resinous hops. The taste really seems to last a long time. The beer was a joy from the begining to the end of the bottle. This beer has a very sticky mouthfeel. The beer is big and you may not be able to inhale it fast. That is not necessarily a bad thing as this is a beer to savior.

08-26-2006 04:42:05 | More by nlmartin
Osiris9588

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

This one-time-only brew pours a lush amber color from a capped 750ml bottle. There was very little head to speak of, and what was there, dissipated quickly, leaving lacing. It gives off an aroma of roasted malt and a characteristic that is light, sweet--almost maple syrup-like with a zest of lemon. The hoppy bitterness for which Stone is know dominates the flavor, along with toasted malt, big alcohol (ABV 10%), and some sugar; in fact this beer was far sweeter than anticipated. It is rich and somwhat complex, yet the literally "bitter/sweet" finish is a bit overwrought for my taste, lowering the drinkability. I like the more balanced bitterness and overall flavor of Stone's other strong ales, Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard, and am thankful that those are here to stay.

08-26-2006 03:57:31 | More by Osiris9588
Bierguy5

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Very cool bottle design. This bottle had the story of Karen Westfall (#9 of 10). The label is much more simple than most of the other Stone offerings. It is pretty cool to read up on an employee on an anniversary bottle. This 10% beauty pours an orange/copper color, with a thick rocky off-white head. Very good head retention for a beer of this size. Raw piney hops combine with citrusy hop aroma, particularly orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Candy coated caramel malt, with a lot of sweetness goes to battle against the hop army in this one. Piney, citrusy, sticky sappy hop flavor, goes perfect with this sweet malt. Medium body, with just enough carbonation to carry. Nice patches of sticky lace cling to the glass at the end. The alcohol is not very noticable, however there is some warming at the end. This is a tremendous beer. Happy Anniversary Stone! Another great example of American Craft Beer at its best! I must have more!

08-26-2006 03:01:38 | More by Bierguy5
IntriqKen

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

First off....given another year of cellaring, this is going to mellow and blend into one spectacular beer if it holds up.
Pours a dark orange amber with an impressive 2 finger head that melts to sticky lacing lasting the entire drain of the glass.
Aroma is intensely fresh, fresh, citrus hops...there is nothing sharp or offensive...just sweet, fresh hops.
Taste is immediately citrus hop but with a nicely sweet hop bill that tells you immediately this is a DIPA. Alcohol...strong alcohol finishes off the flavor as you swallow.
Mouthfeel is creamy and full...aftertaste is a citrus peel bitterness along with thickly sweet malt and alcohol.
I really think this needs some time in the cellar but it is intensely flavorful and impressive right now.
One of the best DIPA's I've had and definately one of the freshest tasting. The only problem with cellaring to blend, balance and mellow the flavors is that you will lose the incredible fresh hops flavor it now has.

08-26-2006 01:53:22 | More by IntriqKen
cproioi

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a reddish-orange body with a lossely knit off white head that disipated to a film across the top at some what of a speedy rate leaving behind nice ringed lacing.

The beer gives off an extremely hoppy aroma that is similar to pinetrees, grapefruit and tangerines. Faint hints of malts present in the aroma. Oddly enough no real alcohol smell present which I was expecting from a beer with a 10%abv.

Taste is absolutley wonderfull. When it first hits the tounge there is a big smack of the pinecone and citrus hops taste that wakes up your palate and makes way for a suprisingly large malt backbone. Very balanced for Stones, very nice.

The is a slight alcohol warming in the mouth and the beer finishes very dry.I could sip this beer all day if I had the chance. Out of the two Anniversary Ales I've had from Stones (9th and 10th hey I'm only 22) This one is by far my favorite.

08-25-2006 19:27:15 | More by cproioi
rgrace99

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer.

08-25-2006 15:04:52 | More by rgrace99
Westsidethreat

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clean, dark amber honey colored concoction. Lots of mellow bubble activity in the glass weaving too and frow, working their way to the top. The head is a solid one finger layer made up of creamy, tight light beige bubbles. Webbing like swiss cheese is left behind.

S: Yes, this smells great. Very fresh and healthy. Now for the details. Fruity and citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, lemon rind, strawberry, raspberry. Touch of pine bark lurking below the surface. Solid malt syrup adds a much appreciated extra dimension to ever sniff (and inevitably ever swallow)

T: . Wow, lots going on here. Lets start from the top. Immediate mixture of sweet malts and sneaky bitterness tickles the front of the tongue. Pine needle sap dances on the front center of the tongue as the liquid move towards the back of the mouth. Caramel notes spike while the transition from forest to Florida come to fruition. Citrus flavors mix with red fruits and coast the palate into a more complex moment with bitterness becoming much more apparent. The alcohol is apparent and in your face (for better or for worse). This beer would be great on a winter night, as it warms the tummy so exquisitely.

M: Medium body and surprisingly smooth for such a bitter beer.

D: Huge. Great friggin beer. Hand crafted superbly.

08-25-2006 03:40:38 | More by Westsidethreat
Dukeofearl

4.72/5  rDev +10%

04-29-08 UPDATE. I had saved a bottle of this along with my Stone Vertical Epic collection, just for fun to see how it did. 18 months after my first review, I decided it was time to have it. I waited too long. A murky, muddy beer that still had a hoppy profile, but had lost all of its original beauty and loveliness. I didn't change the scores, just a note to say this one proves that it's best to drink fresh sometimes. No longer any of the things listed below; it had gone south some time ago.

08-25-06 ORIGINAL REVIEW.

Just found 22 oz bottles of this printed/painted bomber at LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $4.99, a pretty good price for Stone specialty brews (and they have cases of this right now). Picked up the 16 oz pint glass (1996-2006, 10 Years of Brewing Strong) for $2.99 for the occasion. Opened it almost as soon as I got home (got one from the store's refrigerated case).

OK, to hell with my normal reviewing style. I LOVE THIS BEER!

I can't say how it fares compared to my current favorite DIPA (Pliny the Elder), but it's in the same neighborhood, and that is one gorgeous, exclusive neighborhood. Beautifully carbonated dark malty wonder that just oozes aromas of tangerines, grapefruit (both sweet and sour citrus), grass, juniper, crushed pine needles, and just plain lovely lovely hops. As the beer hits the mouth, rich full mix of roasted malts and huge hops are amazing. And as the glass empties, the aroma stays around. So many beers lose aroma as they empty, this one just keeps coming.

My only real complaint is that the alcohol profile (burn) is a little strong, and the ABV is too high for me to drink this as fast as I want.

I don't love every Stone beer, and I say so when one doesn't grab me, but wow, this one is a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 12th to come back from 3 runs down. Cheers to the Stone team, and thank you for this beer.

08-25-2006 01:02:33 | More by Dukeofearl
OStrungT

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours a darker golden color, with an off white head with a yellow tint to it. The thick, fluffy head fades very slowly, leaving a massive coat of lacing.

This beer has an aggressive hop aroma. I smell citrus fruits. Grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, and is it mango? Some grassy hop notes are also present. The alcohol is well hidden in the aroma.

This beer tastes much as it smells. Fruity citrus hop flavors of pineapple, grapefruit, amd lemon. Some piney hop flavor is also present. Not much on malty flavors, but I didnt expect much malt.

This beer is very full bodied and aggressive. It leaves a fruity hop aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

I dont think this beer would be the greatest session beer. It is high in alcohol, and it has a very aggressive flavor. Too much might become a problem.

Overall: This beer is amasing. It is the best DIPA I have ever had from Stone. It is one of the best I have had anywhere. It is well worth trying. I should have got the 3L bottle.

08-25-2006 00:57:49 | More by OStrungT
ChillMike

Alabama

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a burnt orange almost amber in color with a a darker tan head into my brand new Stone 10th pint glass. Plenty of piney hops, citrusy grapefruit scents and a hint of sweet malts. Now the most important part, WOAH, talk about getting smacked with a pine tree, lots of piney taste (yeah I know it's an I2PA but wow) also a strong taste of grapefruit, it's almost like a blooming flower one taste as you begin then it slowly opens into another taste and does this several times. I like it. The alcohol is hidden pretty well but is present. Gotta be careful with these. I need to have another one of these before I decide but I'm leaning towards this being my favorite Stone Brew. If you don't like hops or chewing on pine tree branches stay away :)

08-24-2006 04:52:46 | More by ChillMike
naven

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

08-24-2006 04:23:51 | More by naven
sirhc

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

08-23-2006 17:50:45 | More by sirhc
DogFood11

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I don't know how I possibly could have gotten this any fresher than I did. Fresh off the dolly as it entered the beverage wharehouse and cold. 20 cases rolled in, 19 were left standing. Pours a perfect, shiney copper with a seafoam type, loose head that leaves sliding cover all the way down.

Hoppy nose for sure. Comes across more balanced in the taste and is done very well. A darker candied feel to the malts, caramel comes to mind. Citrusy, Orange, mild spiceyness. Some American Stong Ale characteristics in the malt balance. Peppery in the aftertaste. In short, this brew has a little bit of everything: Silky smooth mouthfeel that later shreds at ya and clamps down. Citrusy, Spicey hops that battle with a rather large malt bill and the alcohol splash is pleasing? Yes sir, please open another.

Notes: Incredibly complex.

08-23-2006 05:29:16 | More by DogFood11
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.