Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 409
4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I opened this for Christmas after cellaring it for the last 2 plus years. I have been told that IPAs are best fresh but I have to say that I really think that this beer has gotten better with age. The hop flavor was still intensely delicious and the mouthfeel was still as good as when it was fresh. This is definately a beer that was worth cellaring.

Received in trade today from a hometown brother BA. Thanks Nate. It's my 15th Anniversary today and I'm happy to share it with Stone's 10th.

A- Beautiful copper color in my Duvel tulip. What little head there was doesn't last long. At 10% ABV, I'm not surprised.

S- WOW! The pine jumped out of the bottle and slapped me. My 13 year old son claimed the cap before I opened it. Upon tossing it to him, he said: "Wow Dad, it smells alot like pine" 'nuff said.

T- Far and away the best (and most anticipated) part of this beer. A full bore hops assault, followed by a melange of spices, then a blast of alcohol. I say a blast, but the transition is so smooth, you hardly notice it. This is everything I look for in a DIPA, and then some.

M- Superb. Spreads across the tongue and then dances around every nook and cranny.

D- I may be the exception, but one reason I drink DIPA's like this one is for their strength. I'm a fairly big guy, so I could handle a couple. Beyond that, I'd have to go to water, with a fond memory of just how great this beer is.

All in all, I have a new favorite. This is my first "5". To me, this beer blends the characteristic's of my three personal top DIPA/IIPA's: Unearthly, Dreadnaught and Maharaja into one tasty package. I copped a case in trade....now I need to find a few more.

OUTSTANDING - get you some

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

A and I tried this at Redbones in Somerville, MA a few days back and I was impressed with the brew. The coloris a bit darker than I would expect, but then again its dark in Underbones so I should not be surprised. I was expecting a bit more hop seeing as its Stone and its a 10th Anniversary, but I was pleased with the amount, not too heavy handed. What suprised me most was the maltiness and sweetness. It paired nicely with the hop for an overall lovely flavor. I gave it a lower score on drinkability simply because you can (and should) only have one. It is sweet and has a high ABV, so your session with this brew will be a one and out.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Beer pours a nice orange-amber color, really clear, with a nice uniform head .
The smell was my favorite aspect of this beer, huge fresh hop aroma, and lots of caramel and sugary malts to balance it out.
Taste is great, really hoppy, citrus and fresh hop flavor, balanced out nicely with the sweet malts.
Mouthfell is really nice, smooth and not overly carbonated.
The alcohol is definitely there, but the beer is drinkable for what it is, double IPA's aren't meant for sessions.
Overall I liked this better than Stone's Ruination.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Well I don't think I reviewed this beer right when it came out but I saved a few bottles for aging. Fast forward to today and beer has been in a wine fridge for about 6 months. And wow! I have to say at first I liked the beer but it was a bit too much for me. Like double bastard just a complete kicks in the balls. The taste was too much alcohol for my taste and the hops were just too up front. What a difference the 6 months made!

A - Pours a dark orangish copper like color. Decent head that leaves a bit of lacing but not much.

S - Man the smell, the one I cracked open just smelled like hops. I had just been working with some amarillo hops in homebrew and swore I could pick them out in the smell of the beer. Not sure if there is any amarillo but it sure smelled pretty similar. Mostly I was picking up the hops in the aroma and it was nice! At the advice of a friend I got an IPA glass and drank it out of this and just as he said the aroma while drinking the beer was great.

T - This bottle tasted just grand. That hot alcohol taste was not nearly as pronounced giving way to a catty hop flavor. Very small malt aftertaste the fresh hop taste was most pronounced.

M - Good medium body, nice carbonation that never gets "fizzy". As with most stone beers.

D - Since the alcohol mouthfeel has subsided some it was much more drinkable. I enjoyed the bottle to the last drop but I do use a wine cork to keep half in the fridge till I am done with the first glass so I did not really let this one warm up.

kind of strange reading these other reviews maybe some bottles just don't age well? I have like 2 more so I will crack open another one soon and relay back if there is any big differences but if my other bottles are aging like this one this should be a tasty one!

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up a few of these when they came out and have but one left.

Appearance: Poured a darker amber color - very appealing.

Smell: The smell was immediately there and was very inviting. Hops and a strong citrus smell are very apparent.

Taste: Flavor is excellent with the hoppy and citrus really grabbing you. Well done though - you feel like you're getting everything out of this beer without getting overwhelmed or lost.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and agreeable.

Drinkability: For such a strong beer (10%) it drinks very well and you don't feel overwhelmed by it. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer is amazing! Copperish-orangish opaque color, with a head that just won't go away (nice and bubbly!) and nice lacing. I can smell the piney hops in this one! And the taste is one amazing hop punch to the face! Not as heavy as Stone Ruination or standard IPA, but just a very enjoyable mix. I can taste several different hops and barleys in here...very very complex and damn bitter! I can taste the alcohol, but it doesn't dominate...it only adds more complexity... What a wonderful beer...right up there with Stone's Double Bastard, Orval's Trappist Ale, and Unibroue's La Fin du Monde!

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours clear and amber in color with a nice thick head. Aroma is of piney hops with a background of fruity sweetness -- very nice! Taste is big on both bitter hops and malts, with some alcohol hotness. This is a rather heavy beer as should be expected for the style. What a nice beer. At 10% alcohol, not a session brew.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Medium dark copper/amber. Aroma is very hoppy, smells of citrus, guava, very tropical, then carmel malt. Aroma seems to change as time goes by. Tastes like a double IPA, but more complex, nice fruit-like flavors, then a little bitter, a little sweet, really good. Overall, a great beer, a little heavy almost on the syrupy side, but enjoyable. Watch out for the relatively high alcohol content, because the flavors hide it really well. This is the first Stone beer I have really really liked.

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Exceptional on all fronts.

Appearance - Beautiful gold/pale with lots of floaties. Wonderful dense and frothy head.

Nose - deliciously hoppy nose! As soon as i popped the cap you could smell the citrusy hops. Mind blowingly intense nose.

Taste - Fascinating! Very bright and fresh malty notes combine with an aggressive tropical hop profile. Some tropical fruit notes - possibly pineapple with some passion fruit? The brightness of this beer is wonderful. Really glides across the palette and sparks the wonder factor hugely. Malty notes are sparkly and refreshing with a bitter finish that is very refined and appreciated.

mouthfeel - exceptional. perfect mouthfeel - bright and hoppy with a fullbodied but not cloying in any way.

drinkability - excellent. potent brew though.

conclusion: one of the most exceptional IPAs i've had the pleasure of drinking. Absolutely spot on for the style and my favorite of all the stone brews. Three thumbs up!

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Served on tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, CA

Golden Amber color, slight chill haze.

Earthy & floral hop aromas with hints of biscuit and caramel malt.

Flavors are definatley tipped to the malt side. Toasted and caramel malt flavors with a certain "graininess". Hop bitterness backs the malt, however it is lacking up-front hop
flavors and the impact of a big hop nose.

This beer is full bodied and almost goes down like oatmeal. Alcohol is evedent and warming
which is this beer's most redeeming quality.

I tried this same beer from a 22oz bottle about a year ago and I remember it as having much

more hops flavor and aroma. Now without all the hops going on it is much less intersting.

It is still a decent beer, but there are many better ones.

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 22 oz Bomber. Man Im glad I cam upon a stash of this stuff.

Appearance was a light orangish amber color with brilliant clarity and an off white head that was slightly smaller than anticipated but stayed around a long while (perhaps a more vigorous pour was in order).

The smell was heavenly - Huge, wet pine hits the nose and penetrates all the way through to the throat. Hints of pineapple and grapefruit also seep through.

Taste was a fine example of balance. First the mouthfeel of a residually sweet malt hits you, earthy cherry and even hints of bubblegum are present giving way to a great hop profile. The hops hit you gradually giving you just enought time to tatse the malt before kicking in further in somewhat of an exponential scale until full bitterness and even a hint of peppery spiciness is achieved and the alcohol warms all the way down your throat.

As the beer warms the alcohol becomes more apparent but is still balanced by the huge hop presence.

Carbonation was spot on as well.

My only knock on the beer was initial small head but the retention was outstanding.

Grab some if you can.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I love Stone offerings, but have typically shied away from their pale, IPA, and Ruination because I think the rest of the lineup is better. But, the other day, the beer buyer told me he had a bottle of this in the back and asked if I would like to buy it, and because of all the wonderful things I've heard and continue to hear about this beer, I accepted his offering. Consumed on February 1, 2009 during the Super Bowl. On to the review...

I poured from the bottle into a Unibroue tulip and held the glass up to the light. The body is bright apricot, topped with a frothy, two-finger eggshell head.

The smell is out of this world with the volume turned up on the juicy, citrus aromas. I never had this beer previously, but I would've never guessed this was a two year old, double IPA. It smells like it was dry-hopped yesterday. Wow, consider me floored. Also, there's zero detection of fusel alcohol. The aging really brought some balance (I would assume) because there's zero alcoholic aroma in this 10% beast.

This still tastes like a double IPA. I wouldn't say the barleywine characteristics have started taking over, and I tend to lean toward big and malty. The hops are still very forward and in your face. Awesome.

Silky smooth and very satisfying.

I don't think alcoholic content has anything to do with drinkability. It's a combination of all the previous characteristics, and if I get lit in the process, nice. Anyway, drinkability is excellent. I wanted more, but ran out after splitting the bottle with my buddy. If I ever find more of this, I'll get more than one bottle.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

I tasted this beer, and to be honest, this is exceptional beer. I am used to the strong ales produced by Stone. In fact I bought a bottle of 10th anniversary for my friends to see how they like it first. This beer is awesome, it has one of the best malt backgrounds that one can hope for. The smell is that of a light grass. The mouthful taste like heaven, and the taste matches. To be honest with everyone I hope they produce this year round. I love Yulesmith, but this one is just as good if not better. I feel I am a traitor when I say this. But it is the truth, this beer rocks, would love to have it on cask or naturally carbonated. Thanks Stone and I wish you another happy 10 years.
This beer is sweet, and makes one wanting more. There is no way that this beer is 10.0 abv, because with the taste you will never know.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a deep orange hint of maroon. Leaves a thin tan head that disappears quickly. The aroma is fantastic, hoppy, citrusy, slight alcohol presence.
The hops in this brew dominate as this is a big IPA. The alcohol in this brew is pretty subtle but by the end of the bomber, I felt its presence clearly.
The finish is smooth and grapefruity. Malt presence is evident, but not overly strong.
Great beer, can't buy enough…

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured a clearish ruby brown - very clean with no visible sediments. Ended up with a slight swell of head which dissipated into a scattering of pools of lacing. Initial nose is deep, earthy, and hoppy - heavy on the malts. Further scents reveal a pulpy aroma with hints of hazelnut. First taste is powerful - a burst of hops blended with a fruit punch-like flavor. Very complex - more than I'm used to in an IPA (an entirely pleasant surprise) - with swirls of grapefruit and pineapple. Mouth-feel is medium in thickness, creamy up front on the tongue, tart and biting towards the back. The smack of alcohol, unfortunately, is a little too evident and detracts from the fun flavor battles going on each each sip.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Pourd a hazy copper color with a thick white two finger head.

Smells of hops then right away malt follows, some citrus in there of course.

Like the smell hops bite first but then the malt comes through strong. Alcohol is present no doubt, for a sec it reminded me of a barley wine, melon fruit in there also.

The feel of this beer is its best quality to me, like liquid velvet.

Not one of my favorites from my favorite brewery. I would prefer a IIPA Ruinationation any day but have three to age so I'll see.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was a long, terrible wait, but it was worth it! Just opening the bottle released a cornucopia of aromas. Pouring it in the glass caused the room to fill up with flowery essences that crowded into my nasal cavity.

Sitting in the pint glass next to the cool bottle, it's a beautiful beer, with a color and head matching my expectations. Almost a shame to have to go and drink it.

The taste came on very, very strong with the first mouthfull, but mellowed on the tongue the more you drink it and the more it breathes.

This is a potent brew--by the end of the bottle I can say that I had a good glow going. It's got a lot of alcohol in it, so hiding away a couple of these bad boys for aging would be wise. If you can resist drinking them, that is.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very beautiful beer. Medium copper color with a nice creamy tan head. Nice tight bubbles with a creamy light top. Head remains after several minutes although it is dissipating.

Smell: Nice smooth smell of hops with a slight tinge of alcohol at the end.

Taste: All I can say is HOLY CRAP. This beer is probably the most well balanced IPA I have ever tasted. Hops are very nice and not overly bitter on the finish. I get a slight caramel taste right before the finish. If this beer were a girl I would marry it....even though I vowed to never get married again! I thought my palate would be ruined with Ruination but i have to say this beer is more balanced and makes Ruination my "old" favorite.

Mouthfeel: Light and creamy with a nice tingle on the tongue. Not too heavy and not too light. Near perfect mouthfeel I must say.

Drinkability: Wow! If I could find this in Texas I would buy up every bottle and quit my job. Needless to say I will be trading for some more of this soon.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Fantastic beer. It's all Belgian in spirit, smoothly hiding its alcoholic strength behind some very full and balanced flavors. But speaking of flavor, it's all English: a bready-sweet malt melody, matched by a nice background harmony of hop bitterness. Indeed, rather than a classic west-coast (or San Diego) double IPA, I'd be inclined to classify it as a double ESB (Fuller's X 2?). My only complaint is that as I made it deeper and deeper into my glass, the malty sweetness started to get a little cloying. But just a little. A truly world-class brew.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

The Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is a very tasty entry level IPA ( I rather prefer the Dorado Double IPA or even any of the # IPA's from DogFish head).

The color was a light straw color with nice legs in the glass, which seemed to cling to the glass as it was "quaffed". The drinkability was good but of would been a little better if the beer was left to get a little warmer, as it was a little to cold right out of the fridge but the last dregs from the glass where considerably smoother although it might have been the 10% ABV talking.

The finish was a little on the sweet side with subtle pineapple flavors with a underlying pepper finish as well..

Aroma: Has slight citrus tones followed by light grassy undertones with a little bit of caramel slipping in @ the end..

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My third review and it's a doozy! My beer reviews are pretty much for me, in my own words, so I can remember each beer experience!

This beer was my very first double IPA ever. I had it a few months ago, after I bought an entire case of it for a fellow BA (Blithering Idiot) for being such a great friend and showing me a couple of great beer stores in PA and MD. He left my husband and I two bottles out of the case to try out. Not really thinking anything of it, a few weeks later I finally said okay, let's try this Stone 10th Anniversary Ale..now, mind you,I am not a hophead by any stretch, as a matter of fact I am not really a fan of bitter or really hoppy beers at all, I prefer stouts!

Poured a clear, crisp, golden color, with a bit of head and some lacing into my tulip.

The smell, oh, the smell is the best part - all of the hops gives a citrusy, fruity, piney, smell, with a final, strong, smack in the face grapefruit smell. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of this beer..I could just smell it all day long!!

The second best part of this beer is the taste. I gotta tell you that when I first smelled this, I was afraid that the taste would be exactly the same - smack in the face grapefruit. In as much as I love the smell, I don't really like the taste of grapefruit. I was pleasantly surprised that this beer is not overpowered by the grapefruit. A nice, full bodied beer, and a perfect balance between the hops and malt here. No major bitterness here at all!

Today, I am enjoying yet another 10th Anniversary, about the 3rd or 4th one since my very first, and each time, I enjoy it more and more. This is by far the best DIPA I have had thus far.

Way to go, Stone!
Cheers!
April

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dayton recently had their 10th Alefest. One of the featured, rare brews was Stone's 10-year Anniversary batch. I am trying to get confirmation if this was part of a special re-brew batch for the event or was simply mislabeled. Both the local media, vendor and event pamphlet cited it as Stone 10th Anniversary IPA. Yet, BA claims it was only brewed once. Nonetheless, I will go with the information I have and make my review of it until I hear otherwise. I do have an email in with Stone Brew.

Let me say, this was my favorite of what I had at the event. I did not make it through all that I wanted there, but this I did and was very pleased.

It's tough to make a true assessment of something you only had two ounces of in between other beers, but what I can remember is this:

Color was very appealing, not entirely clear, but of a lighter amber with medium head.

Smell was sweet and citrusy as you would expect from an IPA, yet not strong

Taste was smooth. The hoppiness was there to open the door to it's smooth followthrough that matched it smell.

This very gentle on the palate. The 10% ABV didn't steal the show as does other high alcohol brews.

Everyone I talked to afterward cited this as maybe they're favorite of the festival. I concur.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.