Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
abankovich

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

I drank this out of a 3 liter bottle split with my roommates. No way in hell I could drink this by myself. Review on the way:

Note ahead of time, this bottle is the 10th anniversary with no bottled on date. I have some 11th anniversary in the fridge, so this bottle is at least about 1 1/2 years old.

Appearance is a cloudy amber/orange with a very respectable lacing. For a 10%, "aged" beer this one really did leave a decent sticky lacing all the way down.

Getting ahead of my notes, the smell has more hops present in it than the taste does. That said, I am thoroughly impressed with the hop presence after the aging of this bottle. Definite sweet/caramel malts present as well, more prominent than the hops.

As mentioned, the hops are more noticeable in aroma than in taste. However I admit they are impressively noticeable in the taste considering that this beer has been waiting to be opened for about 1 1/2 years. Sticky and sweet are the two defining taste characteristics of this beer.

Medium bodied, smooth yet biting sourness are what I'm getting from the mouthfeel.

I only drank 1 liter of this 3 liter bottle, so I'm reviewing this drinkability based on 1 liter of the 10th anniversary. Definitely strong at 10%. I honestly would drink another (whether or not that would be advisable). The malt sweetness after a year+ of aging is still not too overpowering for an IIPA. I'm very impressed with this IIPA for holding strong this long.

I've got to thank my roommate for buying this 3Liter for my birthday. Excellent present and a great chance to taste a fantastic beer. Cheers to stone.

05-26-2008 00:59:31 | More by abankovich
jletts

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

10th anniversary Stone IPA

Smelled bready malty with hops and tasted hoppy bitter with grapefruit and malty earth tones and some weak grassy notes. Alcohol is perceived at the end with a slight tongue burn and a peppery bitter finish warming the stomach.
Mouthfeel- well carbonated but thick and smooth. Tasty, but a sipper for sure.

Notes: It's hard to differentiate at times from all the IPA's offered by Stone. Their IPA, Ruination IPA, 10th anniversary, and various dry-hopped IPA's are most excellent but at times seem to meld together in my mind. An excellent IPA, as they all are, but I would recommend trying the near-by Green Flash Brewing's Imperial IPA if you want a completely different take on strong hops.

04-16-2007 01:51:00 | More by jletts
BlackJeremiah

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Stone 10th anniversary pint glass.

A-Dark amber in color. 1/2" head with mild lacing as I went. It looks like a precious gem, rare and beautiful (or, at least, rare around here). Made my mouth water as I poured it.

S-Pine, sour citrus, sage and alcohol. Now my mouth is REALLY watering. The sage is really very slight, but mixes well with the scents of indeciduous trees and grapefruit.

T-Actually, a deceptively sweet start. This, however, is brief, and I really got a wallop of citrus, followed by that luscious piney character. The sage I smelled is the longest lasting flavor, and the hop bitterness lingers on alongside it. Not much burn at all, considering it's 10% ABV. This is a fantastic DIPA, with Stone's characteristic over-the-top bitterness melded with a great array of complementary flavors.

M-Present without being thick, carbonated without being too effervescent. Drinks like an IPA should: it's an easy drinker, but refuses to be ignored.

D-I could drink this all night. I just couldn't get up in the morning if I did.

09-17-2006 01:37:48 | More by BlackJeremiah
SeanInDC

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

10-12-2013 01:30:01 | More by SeanInDC
Calico

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours with a lovely head which stays in a Belgian-like lace for a while.
Color a very clear amber-red.

The nose is full of pine, almost exclusively pine with a hint of citrus and a suggestion of alcohol strength.

Taste: a wonderful combination of pine, mixed peel (think mixed citrus allowed to concentrate and dry a bit, if you're not familiar with the product), plum, guava, and passionfruit. So it's like a punchy fruitcake under the Christmas tree! (Then the hops sneak up with their sagey bitterness under the back of my tongue and remind me that they are making me sleepy, very sleepy..)

Mouthfeel: well carbonated, full bodied, sparkly, warm with booziness.

Drinkability: I'd love to drink a whole growler of this, but in the morning I'd wish I hadn't. Half a bomber at a time for me, thanks. Thank goodness I live with a fellow beer enthusiast who'll happily relieve me of the other half.

12-23-2006 02:59:55 | More by Calico
bearisprime

02-08-2012 22:43:46 | More by bearisprime
methtlcai

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

Enjoyed from a cool looking bottle (Design #1 of 10) with Bottle cap design #2 with the Gargoyle head and dates of Stone's existence

Appearance: dark amber with a finger-thick off-white head that provided pretty good lacing - but nothing rocky or extremely beautiful.

Smell: Knocked me back a bit! Loads of fresh hops and something spicy or leathery which kept things interesting

Taste: Very hoppy - not so much fruity , but more piney and very bitter ( a good thing). Alcohol is hidden very well, especially for 10% The cloying smokiness/leatheriness is still present and I continue to drink trying to find out exactly what it is...

Mouthfeel: The best aspect of the beer. Very silky smooth, full bodied feel that coats the tongue and doesn't let go

Drinkability: The fact that I would love to reach for another (if they werent so darn expensive) of these says it all. Great beer!

12-20-2006 01:54:04 | More by methtlcai
delicious

Vermont

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured out of a 20 fl. oz. bottle adorned with commemorative label #1 of 10.
Hazy copper body beneath a foamy off-white head.
Ton of hops in the nose. Citrus, leafy, spicy hops with a bready background.
It tastes like a warm and bitter mouthful of fresh hops. There isn't an overwhelming rush of hop bitterness; it holds a strong presence indeed, but it doesn't deliver a militant blow to the tastebuds, and nor does the alcohol. Instead they both come in smoothly, warming the cockles pleasantly with glowing coals rather than combusting them as ten percenters are want to do. As the beer warms and breaths, some malt character comes out, sweetening it ever so slightly.
Anyone who loves to sip warm hoppy beers should put in the extra effort to find this one.

06-10-2007 04:24:47 | More by delicious
nicefix

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

Wicked looking silkscreen label on the bottle, very cool artwork.

Poured a nice clear amber color with a good sized off white head and sticky lace down the glass.

Smells of massive hops, pungent oily piney grapefruit aromas, very very pleasant.

Taste- At first I wasn't sure what to think. I had a lot of antisipation and it seemed a little rough at first. Maltier than I expected. Heavy alcohol. But after a few more sips, I got passed the alcohol, and the hops became more appearent. Really quite delicious, although still very strong in alcohol.

I have to say, it doesn't have the greatest drikability but it's still a very good brew. It's so strong in taste and alcohol that I couldn't see drinking this all night.

Notes- I respect this beer. But it's a bit rough. I expected more hoppy goodness. The heavy alcohol flavor is a bit much for me and IMO seems to overpower the other flavors. But still a must try.

10-03-2006 01:57:42 | More by nicefix
MVassar

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Very attractive clear amber/honey color, with a sturdy light-cream colored head. Lacing absolutely coats the glass.

The nose is somewhat one dimensional. Some impressive pine, but not much else. Maybe a touch of malt and caramel.

Rich, powerful, and decadent. Tons of herbal hops, sweet malt, followed by a lingering bitter-citrus zest. Strident alcohol.

Feels great in the mouth. Full-bodied, almost chewy. Wonderfully creamy and luxurious in texture.

I love the bitterness in the finish. Keeps me sipping.

12-16-2006 23:51:57 | More by MVassar
jaybrough

Arizona

10-12-2013 03:51:23 | More by jaybrough
GDMFSOB

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

What a freakin' beer! Two-fingered, off-white head dissipates fairly quickly. The smell and taste are just an explosion of citric fruits and strong, fresh hops. Most IPAs start tasting very similar after a while but this is truely unique. I've got the thing at least three feet from my nose right now and it is all I can smell. A little bubble gum on the nose as well. The hops and citrus are very strong, but surprisingly not overwhelming. Very drinkable for 10% ABV. WOW!!

10-11-2006 21:55:29 | More by GDMFSOB
BitterBrian

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%

Found this at Capone's on Germantown Pike. - I had to give them their props as they are striving for a stellar selection and doing a fine job.

It poured a clear honey/amber into my "imperial" pint glass. It had a nice linen colored head, but it disolved into some sticky lacing rather quickly.

The initial smell is awesome. Grapefuit, honey, and pine sap are the most evident smells, but there is a faint metallic smell on the very backend of it. The hop aromas are complimented by some biscuity malts.

Dear LORD this is a hoppy beer! I've had most of the heavy hitters in this style and this one takes the cake! The "balance" is left in the aroma, because there isn't much in the taste. It tastes like a Stone IPA with a mouthfull of grass clippings.

As for drinkability, this one is waaay to excessively hopped to be a drinker. One of these and I'm done. Actually, I would have rathered a 12ozer. I feel like I just washed my stomach with a strong detergent.

Mouthfeel: I'm left smacking my lips like a dog eating peanut butter.

I'm glad I tried it, but I'll stick to Ol' Horace or Double Simcoe for this style. They seem just a bit more balanced and enjoyable.

09-10-2006 19:57:14 | More by BitterBrian
mitchfor3

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

08-22-2006 07:24:25 | More by mitchfor3
joewsorenson

05-13-2012 01:39:08 | More by joewsorenson
dalion037

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

I opened this for Christmas after cellaring it for the last 2 plus years. I have been told that IPAs are best fresh but I have to say that I really think that this beer has gotten better with age. The hop flavor was still intensely delicious and the mouthfeel was still as good as when it was fresh. This is definately a beer that was worth cellaring.

12-27-2008 20:19:01 | More by dalion037
dhchatfield

Received in trade today from a hometown brother BA. Thanks Nate. It's my 15th Anniversary today and I'm happy to share it with Stone's 10th.

A- Beautiful copper color in my Duvel tulip. What little head there was doesn't last long. At 10% ABV, I'm not surprised.

S- WOW! The pine jumped out of the bottle and slapped me. My 13 year old son claimed the cap before I opened it. Upon tossing it to him, he said: "Wow Dad, it smells alot like pine" 'nuff said.

T- Far and away the best (and most anticipated) part of this beer. A full bore hops assault, followed by a melange of spices, then a blast of alcohol. I say a blast, but the transition is so smooth, you hardly notice it. This is everything I look for in a DIPA, and then some.

M- Superb. Spreads across the tongue and then dances around every nook and cranny.

D- I may be the exception, but one reason I drink DIPA's like this one is for their strength. I'm a fairly big guy, so I could handle a couple. Beyond that, I'd have to go to water, with a fond memory of just how great this beer is.

All in all, I have a new favorite. This is my first "5". To me, this beer blends the characteristic's of my three personal top DIPA/IIPA's: Unearthly, Dreadnaught and Maharaja into one tasty package. I copped a case in trade....now I need to find a few more.

OUTSTANDING - get you some

09-07-2006 21:43:51 | More by dhchatfield
ridedammit

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

A and I tried this at Redbones in Somerville, MA a few days back and I was impressed with the brew. The coloris a bit darker than I would expect, but then again its dark in Underbones so I should not be surprised. I was expecting a bit more hop seeing as its Stone and its a 10th Anniversary, but I was pleased with the amount, not too heavy handed. What suprised me most was the maltiness and sweetness. It paired nicely with the hop for an overall lovely flavor. I gave it a lower score on drinkability simply because you can (and should) only have one. It is sweet and has a high ABV, so your session with this brew will be a one and out.

10-20-2006 19:24:35 | More by ridedammit
seedee17

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Beer pours a nice orange-amber color, really clear, with a nice uniform head .
The smell was my favorite aspect of this beer, huge fresh hop aroma, and lots of caramel and sugary malts to balance it out.
Taste is great, really hoppy, citrus and fresh hop flavor, balanced out nicely with the sweet malts.
Mouthfell is really nice, smooth and not overly carbonated.
The alcohol is definitely there, but the beer is drinkable for what it is, double IPA's aren't meant for sessions.
Overall I liked this better than Stone's Ruination.

09-01-2006 19:02:49 | More by seedee17
rgrace99

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer.

08-25-2006 15:04:52 | More by rgrace99
rlcnmeyer

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

11-10-2012 00:00:48 | More by rlcnmeyer
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Well I don't think I reviewed this beer right when it came out but I saved a few bottles for aging. Fast forward to today and beer has been in a wine fridge for about 6 months. And wow! I have to say at first I liked the beer but it was a bit too much for me. Like double bastard just a complete kicks in the balls. The taste was too much alcohol for my taste and the hops were just too up front. What a difference the 6 months made!

A - Pours a dark orangish copper like color. Decent head that leaves a bit of lacing but not much.

S - Man the smell, the one I cracked open just smelled like hops. I had just been working with some amarillo hops in homebrew and swore I could pick them out in the smell of the beer. Not sure if there is any amarillo but it sure smelled pretty similar. Mostly I was picking up the hops in the aroma and it was nice! At the advice of a friend I got an IPA glass and drank it out of this and just as he said the aroma while drinking the beer was great.

T - This bottle tasted just grand. That hot alcohol taste was not nearly as pronounced giving way to a catty hop flavor. Very small malt aftertaste the fresh hop taste was most pronounced.

M - Good medium body, nice carbonation that never gets "fizzy". As with most stone beers.

D - Since the alcohol mouthfeel has subsided some it was much more drinkable. I enjoyed the bottle to the last drop but I do use a wine cork to keep half in the fridge till I am done with the first glass so I did not really let this one warm up.

kind of strange reading these other reviews maybe some bottles just don't age well? I have like 2 more so I will crack open another one soon and relay back if there is any big differences but if my other bottles are aging like this one this should be a tasty one!

04-19-2007 14:51:53 | More by TheBeerWolf
ncm45

West Virginia

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Picked up a few of these when they came out and have but one left.

Appearance: Poured a darker amber color - very appealing.

Smell: The smell was immediately there and was very inviting. Hops and a strong citrus smell are very apparent.

Taste: Flavor is excellent with the hoppy and citrus really grabbing you. Well done though - you feel like you're getting everything out of this beer without getting overwhelmed or lost.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and agreeable.

Drinkability: For such a strong beer (10%) it drinks very well and you don't feel overwhelmed by it. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had.

06-16-2007 02:41:57 | More by ncm45
EmilNoldSinclair

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer is amazing! Copperish-orangish opaque color, with a head that just won't go away (nice and bubbly!) and nice lacing. I can smell the piney hops in this one! And the taste is one amazing hop punch to the face! Not as heavy as Stone Ruination or standard IPA, but just a very enjoyable mix. I can taste several different hops and barleys in here...very very complex and damn bitter! I can taste the alcohol, but it doesn't dominate...it only adds more complexity... What a wonderful beer...right up there with Stone's Double Bastard, Orval's Trappist Ale, and Unibroue's La Fin du Monde!

12-26-2006 03:11:40 | More by EmilNoldSinclair
stoner420

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Medium dark copper/amber. Aroma is very hoppy, smells of citrus, guava, very tropical, then carmel malt. Aroma seems to change as time goes by. Tastes like a double IPA, but more complex, nice fruit-like flavors, then a little bitter, a little sweet, really good. Overall, a great beer, a little heavy almost on the syrupy side, but enjoyable. Watch out for the relatively high alcohol content, because the flavors hide it really well. This is the first Stone beer I have really really liked.

09-05-2006 17:04:10 | More by stoner420
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.