Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Served at about 40F from a silkscreened amber bomber.

Pours a rich orange color with a big, light tan head leaving plenty of lacing.

Nose is huge with resiny hops, hard to pick anything out since it is so complex. As it warms in the glass, fruity and citrusy aromas arise.

Flavor is dominated by the hops. Unbalanced in favor of the hops, great for a hop head who finds barleywines too big. As it warms, caramel aroma sneaks in.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent. This is a big beer that goes down easy.

BattleRoadBrewer, Jul 28, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance. Lots of bubbles, great head, great color.

smell. Lots of citric hops.

Taste. nearly perfect balance of hops and malt. A bit more alcohol flavor than I would like, but very good. Sadly age will mellow the hops AND the alcohol which will make for a different beer, but most likely not a better one.

Mouth. Smooth, silky. A bit of alcohol harshness that takes away from perfection (at 10% this comes as no surprise)

A bit heavy and the bitterness of the beer does make you think twice about drinking it quickly. It's not a sipper by any means but something you'll nurse for a while. I'm not sure what they wanted out of this, but since we only get one shot at this beer it probably is best to savor it.

bobhits, Jul 07, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours into the snifter a slightly hazy amber-orange color. Props up a 1/2" bone white head with admirable retention throughout the glass. Some minimal spotty lacing noted.

As with most Stone ales the hops are king here. Crisp, tangy citrus and pine aromas waft up immedaitely to greet the nose. Some faint supportive notes of vanilla, flowers and light malts are in the background.

Mouthfeel is fairly full-bodied and pleasantly creamy, smooth and round.

Initial sip is all hops to the forefront. Lots of orange/grapefruit rind, pine needles and tropical fruits with a hefty lip-smacking bitterness. However, an appreciative appearance of semi-sweet caramel apple and malt cereal sweetness sneaks in to balance the hop blast out a bit.

Finishes long, dry and cleanly bitter. In addition it is very hard to believe this is a 10%’er in the alcohol dept. It’s hidden beyond belief. An easy one going down at 10% for sure!

macster, Jul 04, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Huge hops creakily supported by a slightly syrupy malt. A hops overload is expected from this beer, and it certainly does not fail to deliver. A well-done study in excess for the consumption of hop heads (into which category I fall), but overall it is a novelty, something to be experienced more than enjoyed.

Brent, Jun 26, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up a few of these when they came out and have but one left.

Appearance: Poured a darker amber color - very appealing.

Smell: The smell was immediately there and was very inviting. Hops and a strong citrus smell are very apparent.

Taste: Flavor is excellent with the hoppy and citrus really grabbing you. Well done though - you feel like you're getting everything out of this beer without getting overwhelmed or lost.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and agreeable.

Drinkability: For such a strong beer (10%) it drinks very well and you don't feel overwhelmed by it. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had.

ncm45, Jun 16, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to BeerTruth for this one.

Pours a beautiful amber, good clarity and a fluffy one finger buttercream colored head. Lacing and retention are both excellent with lots of stick on the sides of the glass and a constant thin film on top.

Smell is sweet, malty and very hoppy. Lots of herbal hops, very fragrant, also a bit of citrus and a nice underlying caramel malt aroma. There is alcohol in the nose, as well. Taste is basically the same and is very smooth and well balanced. Hops are not overly bitter and are checked perfectly by sweet caramel malts. Very fruity and just delicious. I don't get much alcohol in the taste even though it was present in the nose.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, very slick and creamy. Also very smooth, though, and overall it's a fantastic DIPA that is highly drinkable, although the alcohol limits the drinkability obviously. Great beer.

number1bum, Jun 16, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

From notes. 22oz bomber. Pours a copper orange hue that's quite dark. A nice half inch of light tan head on top as well. Looks great in the glass with good clarity. Aromas burst out of the glass with an onslaught of thick hop oil fumes. Pine aromas intertwine with massive citric/tropical notes. I get a big pineapple/mango aroma off this brew. Smooth caramel malts underneath. Quite simply a beautiful, enticing aroma that makes it hard for me to put my glass down.

First sip brings a rush of hop oils right off the bat along with a velvety smooth caramel maltiness. A superb hop profile with a mix of pine resin and vibrant tropical, citrus flavors. A touch of pineapple surfaces again. Flows down with a touch of alcohol and a big, bold bitterness that is to be expected. A massively tasty brew that brings the hops without remorse. Yum.

Mouthfeel is big and very smooth & creamy with just enough carbonation. The big alcohol is very well masked, making this one hell of a tasty, drinkable DIPA. I really wish I had more of this and I will keep my fingers crossed that this gets brewed again someday. One of the best DIPA's to cross my lips.

orbitalr0x, Jun 13, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a pint glass, a nice dull copper color with a big off-white head. Good lacing as you drink it. Nose is heavy on hops and sweet fruit. Taste is more hops and a whole citrus field- mostly grapefruit and lemon. Malts come in the middle, but are surrounded by hops. There's a sweet stickiness to the finish, almost like a barleywine. Mouthfeel is just about right for a DIPA, and drinkability is great considering it's 10%. You don't taste the alcohol at all.

shivtim, Jun 11, 2007
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Poured out of a 20 fl. oz. bottle adorned with commemorative label #1 of 10.
Hazy copper body beneath a foamy off-white head.
Ton of hops in the nose. Citrus, leafy, spicy hops with a bready background.
It tastes like a warm and bitter mouthful of fresh hops. There isn't an overwhelming rush of hop bitterness; it holds a strong presence indeed, but it doesn't deliver a militant blow to the tastebuds, and nor does the alcohol. Instead they both come in smoothly, warming the cockles pleasantly with glowing coals rather than combusting them as ten percenters are want to do. As the beer warms and breaths, some malt character comes out, sweetening it ever so slightly.
Anyone who loves to sip warm hoppy beers should put in the extra effort to find this one.

delicious, Jun 10, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a deep orange hint of maroon. Leaves a thin tan head that disappears quickly. The aroma is fantastic, hoppy, citrusy, slight alcohol presence.
The hops in this brew dominate as this is a big IPA. The alcohol in this brew is pretty subtle but by the end of the bomber, I felt its presence clearly.
The finish is smooth and grapefruity. Malt presence is evident, but not overly strong.
Great beer, can't buy enough…

jerrymiller, Jun 06, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Clear copper, darker than you'd expect an IPA to be, with a substantial blanket of foam on top.

S: Tropical and citric fruits combine with hops and alcohol for a pretty interesting aroma.

T: An extremely fruity, sweet entry becomes more citric and eventually finishes with intensely bitter hops and a slight alcohol kick.

M: Thick, slightly oily and chewy and with moderate carbonation - this is probably the heaviest IPA I've ever had.

D: Even for the style this is pretty heavy, boozy stuff. Not something I could drink a lot of.

A subtle beer it's not, but it has a remarkably complex, layered character. I generally prefer my DIPAs less sweet and fruity, but despite not necessarily matching my criteria for a perfect beer I have to give it points for being unique.

largadeer, May 31, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Out of the bomber. Pours a slighty hazy brownish copper color with an above average head that left awesome lacing on the glass. The smell is piney with hints of orange. Has a smokey grapefruit flavor, piney, a tad too sweet. I am on the fence on whether or not I like a sweet IPA; I think I prefer a little less sweetness. This brew does pack some flavor and noticable alcohol presence. Good feel, moderate body, the bitterness and sweetness null each other. A very good brew, a bit too sugary for my IPA preference.

Gmann, May 19, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A pleasant, clear, goldeny orange. No much head from the first pour of a big bottle. Glorious pine hops with a touch of citrus for the nose, tending toward english taste-wise. Sweet and sugery, heady hops balanced nicely by the malt. Has some of the sweetness and flavor of a barleywine. Coating, but not too much, with a touch of lingering bitterness.

A darn fine way to celebrate 10 years.

hustlemuscle, May 18, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I visited the brewery in Escondido, CA. The beer was on tap and it was good. Great flavor and consistency. I am not a big fan of the IPAs, but Stone Brewery is very impressive. Their ability to bring out the super hoppy aroma and taste is very unique. Maybe I still need to try more IPAs, but regardless I am a fan now.

PicoDeGallos, May 10, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

I thought I'd write another review of this beer 8 months after having this for the first time. Poured into an oversized wine glass. I acquired this bottle from a trade with mookow some 6 months ago and some 8 months after it first hit the shelves. This excellent beer pours a clear, deep reddish medium golden color with an orange hue lots and of little bubbles rising up. The head was a good 2/3 inch when poured before settling to a nice surface film layer and a nice white ring lining the inside of my glass along with some damn fine lacing. Even after aging in my cellar for 6 months this baby is still dominated by hops aroma wise. Sweeter aromas of malt and some floral, fruity aromas of grapefruit are also present. Although this beer is not quite the bitter hop monster it was tastewise when I first had it 8 months ago the taste is also still dominated by hops upfront followed by surprisingly sweet malt and a hint of sour grapefruit. Extremely well balanced tastewise. Has a fairly crisp, but also smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied mouthfeel as well with moderate to high carbonation. I found the mouthfeel to also be sort of chewy or syrupy, but in a good way. This beer sure mellowed with age, but is also certainly more drinkable now. In fact it is surprisingly drinkable. The 10% ABV is well hidden taste and drinkability wise, but you really start to feel it after a few sips. Definitely not a session beer. Not that I have any more of this anyways. This was sadly my second and, at least for now, last bottle. I sure hope I can get more and that Stone decides to brew this on a regular basis, even if is just as one of their yearly seasonals or even becomes a rotating release. This beer does the winning like few others! WOW! Anyone who has any extra bottles of this they don't want or want to trade for please beermail me ASAP!

Eric

neenerzig, May 08, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours mandarin orange, smells floral like spring day, big mouthfeel, shot of alcohol, sweet hops, big malt, leperchauns pot o' gold. What a delicious and growingly good beer, had over 6 months after introduced. Hold this beer another couple years, just for the fun of it and see if it still tastes and looks like mandarin, I loved this beer and wish I had more.

Murchmac, May 06, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Going off of some tasting notes here, for accually had the brew, mid-march, after it cellared about six months or so.

It poured a mild copper orange with a good tan head that laced somewhat as it faded down. The medium full body held the small bubbled carbonation in check but allowed the aroma of citric fruits and alcohol hop to tease the nose.
The taste was complex citric orange peel, grapefruit, lemon and lime. While good malts and alcohol hints balanced things nicely. The alcohol warms while a med-like hop oil lingers the mouth.

I enjoyed thisone, It wasn't as big a beer as I thought the tenth might be, but very pleased, indeed.

chilidog, May 05, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Very slight haze in an orange hued amber body. Slowly rising two inch head took a few minutes to shrink. No carbonation to be seen at all. Lacing was super sticky thick ribbons.

Hops abound in a mainly citric body that also has a nice hint of fresh pine. Mostly has an orange strength with a minor hint of lime. Very faint hint of a malt aroma.

Bitter citrus fruit. Taste is smoky and has none of the sweet orange from the nose. Light raspberry presence dies quickly behind a strange aftertaste. Interesting and somewhat overpowering.

Leaves a waxy coated feeling on the tongue. Carbonation tingle is surprising despite appearance.

Overall a good offering. This is a great beer for a plate of blue cheeses. I think this one seems to be declining based on other reviews. Hope to reevaluate it again in a few months.

RedChrome, Apr 30, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

A- clear auburn and orange, massive three finger fluffy/foamy white head, excellent retent

S- hops, oily and leafy, citrus and caramel

T- just as hoppy as it smells, hop flavored alcoholic heat at finish, grape skin, grapefruit, caramel, butterscotch, fruit like characters, hop oils

M- medium body, lots of alcoholic heat, dry after, smooth, hops abuse palate much

D- lots of interesting things happening here, but i think the alcohol presence was out of control, not to mention this might as just be hop juice. don't get me wrong, it was still enjoyable

tonistruth, Apr 22, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a clear amber color with dominant ruby hues. A full finger head that faded slowly. Not much lacing observed.

The aroma doesn't really thrust itself on you, but it's a classic sweet malty beverage with a fruity citrus character.

Don't be afraid...full bodied and sweet (an experience that I imagine could be appreciated by even the most concerning macro-lover). The mouth feel is complex yet off the charts smooth and creamy. Seems completely true to style anymore for Double IPAs. The 10% ABV is nicely designed into the mouth, but it burned a trail on the first pass down.

God bless the Stone Family...and best wishes for many more anniversaries to come!! Cheers!!

Has anyone recently done a back-to-back for Three Floyd's Behemoth and Stone's 10th Anniversary IPA? I think it would be interesting!!

STAIPA @ $6 and TFBB@ $18???

jjayjaye, Apr 22, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -10%

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA pours a beautiful clear copper color with a flurry of small bubbles floating slowly flowing to the surface from the bottom. The color is bright and almost glows in the glass. On top a thick, creamy one fingered width light tan head forms. The foam slowly disolves to a thick ring around the beer and leaves behind a good amount of netted lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma is very hoppy with a strong orange citrus, some fruity notes of cherry and a medicine alcohol smell mixed in.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer feels syrupy and chewy. The flavor has lots of pine, orange citrus and lemon zest. A sweet caramel malt with hints of cherry help balance out all the hops. It finishes dry with an alcohol/medicine flavor which gives a mild burn when swallowed. Once gone some of the cherry, orange citrus and medicine flavors linger on the palate.

This is a beautiful beer with an intense flavor. Reminds me of a barleywine, but with a bit more balance. I'll have to revist this beer in a year or two to see if the alcohol flavors mellow out.

WanderingFool, Apr 22, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

I bought a case of this right when it was released, so I have had it quite fresh and a few staggered every other month. This is my first one in maybe 2 months. I'm a huge fan of this beer.

A) Still pours nice and thick with a dark cantelope color.

S) Enormous, exploding aroma of hops. I don't know which hops have which flavor/aroma character. (i.e. amarillo, cascade, etc)

T) Huge and robust. I can taste a hint of pineapple overtones. I had this once on tap and that's when the pineapple was right up front.

M) Chewy and thick.

D) This could be a desert island beer for me!

ChazMania, Apr 21, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Well I don't think I reviewed this beer right when it came out but I saved a few bottles for aging. Fast forward to today and beer has been in a wine fridge for about 6 months. And wow! I have to say at first I liked the beer but it was a bit too much for me. Like double bastard just a complete kicks in the balls. The taste was too much alcohol for my taste and the hops were just too up front. What a difference the 6 months made!

A - Pours a dark orangish copper like color. Decent head that leaves a bit of lacing but not much.

S - Man the smell, the one I cracked open just smelled like hops. I had just been working with some amarillo hops in homebrew and swore I could pick them out in the smell of the beer. Not sure if there is any amarillo but it sure smelled pretty similar. Mostly I was picking up the hops in the aroma and it was nice! At the advice of a friend I got an IPA glass and drank it out of this and just as he said the aroma while drinking the beer was great.

T - This bottle tasted just grand. That hot alcohol taste was not nearly as pronounced giving way to a catty hop flavor. Very small malt aftertaste the fresh hop taste was most pronounced.

M - Good medium body, nice carbonation that never gets "fizzy". As with most stone beers.

D - Since the alcohol mouthfeel has subsided some it was much more drinkable. I enjoyed the bottle to the last drop but I do use a wine cork to keep half in the fridge till I am done with the first glass so I did not really let this one warm up.

kind of strange reading these other reviews maybe some bottles just don't age well? I have like 2 more so I will crack open another one soon and relay back if there is any big differences but if my other bottles are aging like this one this should be a tasty one!

TheBeerWolf, Apr 19, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

Commemorative bottle #9 of 10. Karen Westfall, Team Stone since April 2000. Karen's life story is on the bottle but I will not divulge such information.

Poured from a stenciled 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Muddy sort of orange brown in color with a nice sized head of little retention.

Aroma is sweet and bready and not as hoppy as I hoped. Doesnt quite seem up to Stones standards (compared to Ruination, of course). Not bad but smells more Amber aleish to me and sweet. Not what I am in the mood for.

More sweetness in the flavor and not enough hoppiness. Needs more hops to even be an IPA.

This beer seems too sweet to me. Almost cloying. Drinkability is not high due to the sweetness and strength of the beer. Not bad but I wouldnt actively seek this beer out again. Received in a trade (from mcallister maybe?) and so I am thankful.

SaCkErZ9, Apr 18, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

10th anniversary Stone IPA

Smelled bready malty with hops and tasted hoppy bitter with grapefruit and malty earth tones and some weak grassy notes. Alcohol is perceived at the end with a slight tongue burn and a peppery bitter finish warming the stomach.
Mouthfeel- well carbonated but thick and smooth. Tasty, but a sipper for sure.

Notes: It's hard to differentiate at times from all the IPA's offered by Stone. Their IPA, Ruination IPA, 10th anniversary, and various dry-hopped IPA's are most excellent but at times seem to meld together in my mind. An excellent IPA, as they all are, but I would recommend trying the near-by Green Flash Brewing's Imperial IPA if you want a completely different take on strong hops.

jletts, Apr 16, 2007
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.