Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a clear reddish orange body with a white head that dies quickly.

The nose is dominated by a resin filled oily hop nose. Mild touches of alcohol, but

Taste is over the top hops. FULL bodied and smooth with a candy like sticky sweetness in the finish. Rotting citrus peel dominates the taste. From start to finish it's like licking the outside of dirty lime that is covered in white fur. Mmm, mmm, mmm penicillin. On a lime, bad, but when it comes to DIPA's this is a killer. There's a decent malt base, but compared to the hops it's so far in the background as to be non existent. Has a long lingering bitterness.

For fans of the Ruination, this is sort of like Ruination on acid and speed at the same time. Which at first may seem cool, but honestly becomes a little too over the top. Definitely a departure for stone which seems to balance the big hops and malt and blend them together. Honestly this just feels like a grandstanding hop monster. Maybe age it a couple years to mellow it out, but right now it's just too over the top.

taez555, Oct 21, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

A and I tried this at Redbones in Somerville, MA a few days back and I was impressed with the brew. The coloris a bit darker than I would expect, but then again its dark in Underbones so I should not be surprised. I was expecting a bit more hop seeing as its Stone and its a 10th Anniversary, but I was pleased with the amount, not too heavy handed. What suprised me most was the maltiness and sweetness. It paired nicely with the hop for an overall lovely flavor. I gave it a lower score on drinkability simply because you can (and should) only have one. It is sweet and has a high ABV, so your session with this brew will be a one and out.

ridedammit, Oct 20, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Sweet jesus; I love my IPAs and I love Stone, but this even threw me. It poured a wonderful dark amber color with an off-white head and excellent lacing.
The nose is obviously dominated by hops, but had a lot more going on; sweet fruits and citrus, mild vanilla and very mild malts.
Sweet fruits and creamy vanilla are all but masked by a heavy assauly of bitter and piney hops.
There is a lot going on in this beer and I can't even begin to describe it all. I do have to admit I agree with some of the other reviewers that there was a lot more sweetness than I anticipated, but I find more often than not breweries like to really stick it to you with WAY too much hop bitterness, which makes for a bad experience. I think this was balaned almost perfectly, both in taste and feel, which started bitter and very sweet, then faded into an almost syrpy dryness if thats possible. Very clean and enjoyable, another fantastic beer from Stone.

sinistrsam, Oct 20, 2006

Nice looking brew, dark/burnt orange , slightly hazy with a lovelly thicj creamy off white head ( eggshell). Nice bitter hoppy, citric aroma, still quite fresh, so good so far. But the taste, I will have to go against the grain, its way too sweet. Yes there is a great amount of hoppiness swirling about the mouth but underlying sweetness sort of messes this up for me, it sticks to my tongue and becomes cloying, putting me off the great hopping. To cloying on the palte, too sweet. Man i really feel bad about going against the grain on this..i love most everything Stone does, but even for a Scot who likes sweet beer this was too much

Reidrover, Oct 19, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Although I'm not a high end beer rater with the ability to break down a beer to color, apperance, lacing...yada, yada, yada...I do however have the the ability to know what I like...and this is a beer that I could like forever...

This beer falls in the top ten of all the beers I've ever had...

If you like hops....then search no further....Stone has cornered the market!!!!

Haslips, Oct 19, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +14%

this is far and away my favorite beer (...as of yet...)

A - bright, vibrant copper color, or burnt orange, or whatever you want to call it. thick, white head that faded to gorgeous lacing on both the top of the beer and down the glass.

S - This smell will provide the bench mark for all other smells. A whallop of citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops, toasted caramel malts, and faint wiffs of fruity alcohol. My mouth watered.

T - So. Very. Good. Big, juicy hoppy taste, which hides the (10%!) alcohol quite nicely. Some sweetness from the malts, but this is a showcase for the hops. The flavor lingers for a while after the sip has gone down and there is nice warming feeling in the back of the mouth and throat. Very well balanced.

M - Heavy mouthfeel, but not overly so. This big feel just adds to the taste and doesn't make the beer syrupy at all.

D - This is beer as food, and in the best way. I'm so sad I didn't get to have more of this, as it seems the local stores are out of the 22s. crap.

isaac, Oct 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Offered on draft at my favorite watering hole in the entire area, the Dilly Deli. This glass is a thing of beauty. I sat and admired it on the bar before I even took a drink. It was a nice dark amber color, with a half inch head that receded after a minute or two.
The smell is absolutely wonderful. I got a stronger hop presence from the tap offering than from the bottle.
The flavor was more predominant as well. The stronger hops were parading around my mouth with some of the cleanest, juiciest citrus flavors I've had in a beer.
The mouthfeel is juicy, with some tart/bitterness that follows.
I was deeply impressed with the bottled version, but as almost always, on draft this thing really opens up and numbs the senses.
Why oh why can't this be a year round offering here on draft. Oh well, better once than never. If you are lucky enough to come across this on draft, get your fill, this is one impressive brew.

FtownThrowDown, Oct 18, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses. Appearance is a bright copper hued opaque peach with a full finger and a half of bone white foamy head that held well before falling back to a white cap with heavy white lacing. Smell is a bouquet of citrusy grapefruit and floral/grassy hops, along with some caramel malt. Taste is a huge juicy grapefruit hop hit up front before making a smooth equalizing transition into the malty caramel sweetness. Leaves a resinous hop-oil bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and viscous, goes down slippery and slick, low carbonation only tickles the tongue. Drinkability is great, one can hardly notice the 10% lingering in this brew, very solid all around beer. An ideal example of the style, very good DIPA. Strongly suggest trying.

danielocean03, Oct 18, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a Stone IPA specialty glass. Like many (most? all?) people reading and writing reviews of this beer, I am a total Stone fan, and also a huge IPA fan. Needless to say, I was pretty excited to see this available in my area.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA pours a very hazy bright amber color with one finger of white head and decent lacing.

The nose is spicy sweet fruit (pineapple and grapefruit are most apparent) and sugar.

The taste... well, in true Stone fashion, this is a huge tasting beer. Rather sweet, with a piney hop flavor at front, with a sweet, almost sugary malt backbone; finishing strong with bitterness and alcohol. Definite alcohol notes, which is not a surprise as this beer is brewed at 10% abv.

Mouthfeel is somewhat is slick, much like Stone's Ruination IPA, and not altogether pleasant, as this beer is rather spicy and strong.

This is by no means an easy-drinking beer; that said you would be crazy to want to crack open more than one bomber of this brew at a time. This is a very strong ale, and should be savored, so as far as I am concerned it is certainly drinkable enough. That said, there is something to be said for being crazy.

At the end of the day, this is a good Stone IPA. If you like Stone's regular IPAs, you should try this one. If you like DIPAs in general, you should try this one. This is such a quintessentially Stone beer that it is almost moot to review it: they pretty much never screw up, and Stone fans will continue to love to big ales they brew, and everyone else will not. That said, this is a limited release, so try if you're remotely interested, try it if you can find it. Otherwise, leave it for those of us who are :)

auntfloyd, Oct 18, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Tried a sample from a tap to see if it was any different from the bottle. And wow, this is actually drinkable on tap. Didn't have the weird phenolics that the bottle I reviewed had and the alcohol flavors not as dominating. Hop aroma was still a little deficient for the style, but the aroma was not unpleasant like the bottle. Typical Stone yeast flavors and hop profile but still needed a bit more bitterness imo. Juicy hop flavors coupled with a nice creamy mouthfeel and subdued alcohol flavors made this version of Stone 10th very enjoyable.

Longstaff, Oct 17, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -21%

The beer pours a deep golden color with touches of orange. On top is a creamy white head which sticks around for a while and leaves some lacing on the glass.

The nose is sugar, alcohol and hops - not necessarily a bad combination. Honey - like sweetness underlies a more acrid alcohol sweetness topped with a clear leafy green, citric hop aroma. Quite a bit of hop oil on the end of this baby...

Flavor is excessively sweet which is a shame because the hops are very well done. Light golden grain notes with echoes of corn syrup and cane sugar. Alcohol sweetness is dominant throughout each sip. Hops are very green and herbal with only a touch of citrus peel and pine (I'm guessing more Amarillo than Four C's) Sweetness overpowers and leaves an unbalanced impression.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated. Residual sugars leaves a slick feeling on the tongue. Alcohol burn is minimal and hop bittering isn't enough to overcome the sticky sweet sugars, leaving a cloying coating on the palate.

I'm guessing the 10% ABV was a gimmick because it's the 10th anniversary and that's a shame... With a bit less OG and a bit less alcohol this might have been a very tasty beer. The hops are presented very well but the beer is so unbalanced the the green notes are eventually lost. Not something I'll be cellaring in the hopes that it'll improve with age.

RedwoodGeorge, Oct 17, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Well ye west coast lassies, ye've been achin' for a breakin' fer a while ne, 'aven't ye? What with always fillin' the BeerTrades section with obscene offers fer things loik 'Dreadnaught' and other middle-western double IPAs, eh?

Well, Oi gots news fer ye! A pox on ma un' ma family fer ever doubtin' Stone (one of Americers most premier breweries) fer this beaut' is none other than a wonderful Dreadnought clone.

Sher, I'm na sayin' they are the same shade. This is a wee bit darker, to be sure to be sure, what with the copper body and off-white head.

And I'm na sayin' they smell exatically the same. There is less Amarillo here. The strong marraige of so many hops is hard to tell, so all I can say is that it is pure Pacific North-West, but that aspriny-bite that us lovers of FFF call 'ome just is na so strong. But otherwise it is truly top class. Hops hops hops, all of 'em citrusy and piney they wey they ought be!!

And the taste? Sacchine sweet married to the bitterest memory you've ever had. A true sweet-bitter, like Dreadnaught. Balanced in the most obscene way possible. It's hoppy. It's malty. It's sugar sweet. It's crushingly bitter. A wonderful combination that keeps ye guessing with a wee bit o' alcohol ensuring that boi tha bomber's end you're in no condition to reaally judge.

The mouthfeel, 'owever is a wee bit thin. Good, but too rich to be dry, to small to be full. It works, but is na amazing.

I could na' drink more tha' one o' these. But boi golly was it a fun ride! A perfect anny bier, for I would na' want it any other time!

shbobdb, Oct 17, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Coppper color with white head.

S: Smells of hops mostly, some caramel, and a nice sweetness in the back.

T: FIrst of all I definitely like this better than ruination. It's much deeper. It starts out malty and carmaly, and then fades to the hops. On the finish the hops really come through bordering on overbearing, and it made me downgrade the drinkibility, but all in all head and shoulders above Stones other IPA's.

M: Heavy and slick with good carbonation.

D: Good for the abv, but the hops keep it the drinkibility rating down.

ejquin, Oct 16, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Another great release from the prepubescent Stone Brewery! I can't believe this place is only ten years old. More than five years ago when I was a seventeen year old beer vacuum, mylocal liquor store employee, known to me as Raj Kumar, tried to get me into Stone by giving me free samples for a little work around the store. I thought all their beer tasted like cut grass, but now I know that Stone consistently offers the best IPAs and Double IPAs on the market.

The Tenth Anniversary IPA is extemely hoppy, heavy on the citrus undertones and it artistically hides its high ABV. It pours with a thick white head that slowly releases to a lacy finish, and the smell reminds me of my homegrown hops at harvest: juicy, sweet, and full of flavor. The lowest score I gave it came in the drinkability category, not because I wouldn't like to down a gallon, but rather because such consumption could lead to lapses in consciousness and responsibility.

Stone is one of the few breweries I have not visited in the Cali, but I gotta go soon. Their beer is of the best in the world. Hands down.

pdrizzle, Oct 16, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Golden orange with a giant off-white head and plenty of sticky lacing.

S- Sweet mother of all that is holy, that's hoppy! Huge citrus aromas, orange and grapefruit juice, and a resiny, piney smell highlight this brew. There's also a touch of toasted malt hiding under all the hops. Fantastic.

T- Unlike the regular Stone IPA and Ruination, this one is heavy on the citrus rather than the floral. It's fairly sweet throughout; there's obviously a substantial malt presence. The bulk of the taste, however, comes from the hops. Big, juicy, citrusy hops. It's almost like drinking orange juice, the citrus flavor is so prominent. Very full of character. The alcohol really doesn't come into play in the flavor; it's very well-hidden. Bitterness really isn't that strong on the finish. It's there no doubt, but the beer is balanced enough to prevent it from getting out of control.

M- Nice and full, almost syrupy. Lots of substance to this beer, very nice.

D- The drinkability is pretty good for a beer as big and rich as this. One will definitely do me for now, but I will have no trouble polishing off the bomber.

Well, it's about what I expected. Huge flavors, lots of hops, but supremely balanced. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and would expect nothing less from Stone. Happy 10th anniversary, and here's to 10... wait, make that 100 more! Strongly recommended.

vtfan77, Oct 16, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Two pints worth at Ashley's on Friday the 13th during the MI Stone Release Party. Great time by the way! Thanks Stone! Dark gold edges around a glowing dark orange body. Small, persistent, off-white head. Nose is overflowing with sweet sugary malt, tropical fruits, and huge, numbing hop bitterness. Taste follows suit. Big sugary malt with complex fruitiness; tropical and rummy. Yummy. Hops come on strong; pineapple, pine, citrus, you name it! Bitterness is big, but not out of whack. Finish is warming and long and makes me want to drink more. A big beer for a big anniversary and I'm glad I got some of this. Full-bodied with a smooth, creamy feel. Here's to 10 more years!

alexgash, Oct 15, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours clear and amber in color with a nice thick head. Aroma is of piney hops with a background of fruity sweetness -- very nice! Taste is big on both bitter hops and malts, with some alcohol hotness. This is a rather heavy beer as should be expected for the style. What a nice beer. At 10% alcohol, not a session brew.

electrified, Oct 15, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ashley's (Ann Arbor) at the MI Stone release party. Served in a pint glass. Usually don't review a beer I've only had at the bar, but I think this is the only chance I'll have to try this beer.

A: Amberish brown, served with little head, but I don't know if that was the pour or the beer. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

S: Huge piney hops dominate. In a sinus clearing way. Whoa.

T: Almost a two step process: (1) Slap in the teeth of big bad hops (2) After you recover, you realize that there is quite a bit of balance with some citrusy fruits and malt. The alcohol is present, and it warms your throat while still tasting hops all the way down. "Hop-burn" is the only way I can describe it.

M: Fantastic. Thick and a little oily without being too syrupy. Perfect amount of carbonation for the style. All around great.

D: Obviously a huge beer, but so damn good.

Amazing brew. Definitely glad to finally have Stone in MI. This beer completely destroys your palate though, and I sure can't write a review of the Double Bastard I followed this up with.

mjd83goblue, Oct 14, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -7%

Appearance is just as I expected, although I do not get much head, or retention. The color is a clear burnt orange-copper and what little head had been there was a light tan.

Aroma is sweet, with some resiny hops.

The taste has a lingering sweetness that is combined with a fairly mild bitterness, which fades into hop oils (a little grassy) and alcohol in the aftertaste. This DIPA is balanced very nicely by the malts.

Mouthfeel is very slick like a light syrup. The carbonation is towards the lower end.

Nobody is going to have a session with these, but the glass you have in front of you will be very drinkable in the sense that you will enjoy it the whole way through.

MiScusi, Oct 14, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bomber into a 0.5L Duvel tulip. #3 of 10.

A: Deep crystal clear amber body. Small bubbles stick to the bottom of the glass. Head is tall, with a light tan color. It sticks around for awhile, and leaves good lacing behind. One the head is gone, laving sits on top. Great looking IPA.

S: Strong piney hopes and floral nodes I think. It’s powerful but really pleasant. The smell refreshing and wakes me up.

T: Lots of hops hit me hard up front. There is a slight sweet malt taste after the hops fade a bit. A flash of alcohol towards the end is quickly covered by bitter hop aftertaste. This lingers for a long time. This beer is all about the hops.

M: Slightly full, with good carbonation. The bitterness seems to affect my tongue before i actually taste it. A slightly dry finish

D: Great flavor, but powerful. Very good for the style, but doubtful I'd want more than one of these, as delicious as it is.

I was looking forward to this beer, and it met my expectations, though sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing flavors in IPAs. Overall, I expected any IPA made by Stone to be damn good, and it is.

51mmz0rz, Oct 14, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +11%

One of the best looking pours I've witnessed in awhile. Brings a tear to my eye. Clean bright ruby/amber red with an awesome fluffy thick cloud of a head that is an off white/yellow/brown in color. Damn good looker.

One complex nose this beer posseses. Piney sweet hop and malt, hints of toffee, hints of fig, freshly picked flowers, dried golden raisins as well.

For how complex the nose is the taste has it beat. Not just complex but almost perfect balance as well. The toffee thick malt lends itself wonderfully to the layered hop flavors. Starts with a piney resiny hop than hits the middle with a sweet floral accent, and ends on the 50 second finish with a twist of citrusy fruit goodness. And in between is dried fruits and even some nutty characteristics that leave an oily palate enamoring sensation.

Rich, creamy, smooth, medium carbonated mouthfeel all equals a beer I'd be more than happy to drink on all day and night and well into the next day.

mcallister, Oct 12, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +7%

pop, bottle 5 of 10 for geeky collectors who care.

pour, wow, what beautiful cascading bubbles. the brew settles picturesque into my demon's hopyard tulip. a distinct leathery brown-orange color is dominant, although variations on autumn exist throughout the cloudy body. the hilly silk foam that rests atop this beer is pure cream with a fleck of open air pocket here and there.

smells like i just carved up a fresh pineapple inside my beer glass. then i took an orange wedge and squeezed that over top of the pineapple chunks. perhaps even sliced a banana into the mix, and blended it like a smoothie. this beer is pure tropical fruit bliss to smell.. i am in awe of the aromas hovering directly over the beer in question. if there was a stone 10th anniversary car air freshener, i would buy a lifetime supply.

the beer itself is appropriately thick and stings of bitterness, but i think that is to be expected. initial flavors border on piney but lean more towards the tooth-grinding bitterness of citrus rind. something floral escapes into the nasal cavity and distracts from the alcohol and hop barrage. a crisp (dry?) bitterness follows that engulfs the tongue, serving to further cover up the alcohol notes. the way this beer works is perfect.. i can feel the vicks-like inhalations of abv, but it doesn't interfere with the flavor. i am left after each sip with a refreshed palate, but a thin layer of hop scum all over my mouth. i find myself drinking this faster than i should with a ten-percenter.. warmth brings out many more hop nuances, which define this beer succinctly. the malt profile is not overly sweet and plays a nice primer to the green bud housepaint. further warmth gets a woody, almost cedary note to emerge. the complexities here are making my head spin. this easily puts both ruination and ipa to shame in both flavor and aroma.

not a session beer by any means, but not in the league of hoppy barleywines either. stone has made a beefy burger to celebrate the big 1-0, and done it in style. nothing goofy, nothing off-kilter, just a kick-ass trip-p-a. go stone.

goodbyeohio, Oct 12, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A clear copper to reddish/ orange color, with a three quater inch creamy colored head. There is alot going on in the aroma, at first grassy scents hit the nose, then on a second sniff a piney, citrus aromas tingle the nose. A solid malt flavor starts off, then a well blended hop flavor comes in, and lingers on the palate. Medium bodied, but gains weight as it reaches the back of the throat. This is a hop heads delight, even so, it is still very drinkable. Well balanced flavor and aroma make it a must try beer.

cameraman, Oct 12, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

What a freakin' beer! Two-fingered, off-white head dissipates fairly quickly. The smell and taste are just an explosion of citric fruits and strong, fresh hops. Most IPAs start tasting very similar after a while but this is truely unique. I've got the thing at least three feet from my nose right now and it is all I can smell. A little bubble gum on the nose as well. The hops and citrus are very strong, but surprisingly not overwhelming. Very drinkable for 10% ABV. WOW!!

GDMFSOB, Oct 11, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a beer that is definitely befitting for a one hundredth review. Pours a goddamn awesome dark orange color, with really nice thick, frothy tannish/white head. A really weird cloudyness sits right below the froth, almost reaching the bottom of the glass...looks like a ghost in the middle of my beer. After the head faded some, smell indicated loads of hop presence, tropical fruit similar to Ruination, but less aggressive. Theres a maltyness in there too, but the hops on this one dominate. Taste is extremely juicy, not a bit of bitterness in the thing, which is interesting. Lots of pineapple, kiwi, mango...simply loads of tropical fruit. Mouthfeel is relatively heavy on the brink of being syrupy, yet this is a really easy beer to drink. The alcohol is hidden to the point of seeming non-existent (be careful!). This is my favorite style for a reason...the flavors and smells just keep coming at you. I have one of these sitting in my cellar, that i'll hopefully open in a couple years. Until then, I don't have a problem trying the fresh product that seems to be just about everywhere at the moment. I am in awe of Stone Brewing Company mofo.

jamie2dope, Oct 11, 2006
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.