Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a burnt orange almost amber in color with a a darker tan head into my brand new Stone 10th pint glass. Plenty of piney hops, citrusy grapefruit scents and a hint of sweet malts. Now the most important part, WOAH, talk about getting smacked with a pine tree, lots of piney taste (yeah I know it's an I2PA but wow) also a strong taste of grapefruit, it's almost like a blooming flower one taste as you begin then it slowly opens into another taste and does this several times. I like it. The alcohol is hidden pretty well but is present. Gotta be careful with these. I need to have another one of these before I decide but I'm leaning towards this being my favorite Stone Brew. If you don't like hops or chewing on pine tree branches stay away :)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

I don't know how I possibly could have gotten this any fresher than I did. Fresh off the dolly as it entered the beverage wharehouse and cold. 20 cases rolled in, 19 were left standing. Pours a perfect, shiney copper with a seafoam type, loose head that leaves sliding cover all the way down.

Hoppy nose for sure. Comes across more balanced in the taste and is done very well. A darker candied feel to the malts, caramel comes to mind. Citrusy, Orange, mild spiceyness. Some American Stong Ale characteristics in the malt balance. Peppery in the aftertaste. In short, this brew has a little bit of everything: Silky smooth mouthfeel that later shreds at ya and clamps down. Citrusy, Spicey hops that battle with a rather large malt bill and the alcohol splash is pleasing? Yes sir, please open another.

Notes: Incredibly complex.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Been waiting on this one a while... DIPA being one of my favorite styles and Stone being, well, Stone.

Looks like dark honey in my "Magic Chouffe" tulip. The pour yielded a one finger head which didn't stay around long. There is very little visual carbonation noted and spotty lacing as i drink.

The nose is malt-driven...caramel and crystal? That's not to say the hops aren't there, once you move beyond the intitial sweetness, you'll find pine sap and plenty of hoppy citrus notes (grapefruit and tangerine).

Caramel (and vanilla?) is at the fore in the taste, but quickly a tangy melange of tangerine and orange assault you while it finishes up with a spicy bitterness that lingers for just a moment (somewhat like a grapefruit brushed with sugar). The flavors are so big that alcohol strength is well hidden.

(The bittering effect becomes more pronounced the more you drink)

This brew is full, creamy, resiny, amply carbonated and gets a mouthfeel rating of perfection for the style.

So good i'd like to drink another, but i'm not sure the ABV will let me, and i just might be drunk.

You best give it a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a hazy dark copper with a nice creamy head with nice lacing.

S- Huge citrus and floral hop aroma. Pretty nice sweetness comes through. The hops are the dominant note and you know this will be a hop bomb.

T- Wonderful citrus hops in the beginning, nice malt backbone and a lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste. This in nicely balanced for the hophead. Not as over the top in hops like Ruination, which I had last night.

M- Creamy and nicely carbonated.

D- Wow, this is smooth. At 10% I better watch it. Rich and creamy, tons of hops yet a nice malt balance. I'm buying a case of this one!

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

I wouldn't rate the bottle in the appearance but if I did it would be a 5 with a great looking gargoyle lifting their glass celebrating 10 years of great brewing. A darker - more amber ADIPA than most with a big rich noisy light tan head announcing the hops to come. The first word that comes to mind in tasting this is - lush. It is a lush rich thick beer shake of a DIPA with all the citrus and dry hop bitterness you would hope from a San Diego IPA. A very satisfying beer and at 10% it makes for a great single bottle celebration. At $4.99 a bottle it is a bargain.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Gold dark appearance – nose hop, hard citrus, malt, brown sugar and mint- nice hops bitter, sweet, prunes, grapefruit, malt, baking chocolate, alcohol – medium/thick body- bitter/sweet lingering aftertastes – unexpected taste for a imperial ipa thick and heavy like a strong ale

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.