Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros

Poured into a tulip glass,a very thick dense creamy white head.Masses of tightly wound strings of tiney bubbles surge to the top of the glass.A light to medium coppery hue a slight cloudy appearance.A lively looking beer. Extremely tantalizing looking.A lasting head.
Smells citrusy,piney,grapefruity,caramelly,sweet,very complex the aroma makes your mouth water.
Taste piney,resiney,citrusy,grapefruity,carmelly,a warm sensastion of alcohol. An exploision of taste in your mouth.
An amazingly smooth mouthfeel,but thick and chewey in the best possible way.
This beer is so good you don't even think about its drinkability,you just want to drink it all night long. It's hard to believe it's 10% .
This is a great and unforgettable beer,a hopheads dream come true.
The balance and drinkability of this beer is amazing.
I can't believe i'm drinking this beer,I feel like i'm dreaming.

Appearance: Body appears copper ruby roange let's just face it this is ambrosia as in amber nectar of the gods, it simply glows. Head initially forms thick coating jcdiflorio's Mad Elf chalice. Aroma: Succulent layers of grapefruit rind, ruddy earthy dirt tinges, pine cone, with apricot and mild pineapple highlights...deep sugary sweet malt base, massive amounts of specialty malts blended to bring balance to this raw unrefined hop explosion that some would argue borders a barleywine. Either way it's amazing! Taste: Thoroughly expressive on both ends of the malt and hop caracteristics, yet the equilibrium of the two is found in a harmoniously unmatched combonation, I've yet experienced in my beer drinking. Soft yet abrasive with sweet sugary alcoholic hop bursts exploding on the palate. So worthy of a Stone 10th celebration combines extreme yet completely balanced flavors. Truely raw hops include ripe apricot, bitter rinds with a multitude of citrus fruits blended with warming alcohol that was fermented out to 10 percent abv. Sticky pine erupts in the flavor to a beer that only Stone is capable of. Mouthfeel: Full syrupy body resinous flow of hop oils this one brings it all together with even smooth carbonation with a touch of alcohol burn to lively up the palate. Drinkability: Not just another double IPA trying to out do the competition...this is a true original expression of a brewmaster's talent. Yes a ton of hops and malts don't always equate to a great creation, but in this case we're nearing perfection.

Awesome job on the label design, on par with everything one would expect from Stone. Not that it makes the beer taste better, but soem eye candy is always appreciated.

Appearence: A light amber in color, nice white head that seemed to stick around a little while.

Smell: Grapefruit like, smells exactly like the last homebrew we did with all Simcoe.

Taste: Great hop taste, the grapefruit carries through with some pine. The malts are present, which was nice to bring a bit of balance to this huge brew. Great hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Full in body, not neccessarily chewy but no mistaking its high gravity.

Drinkability: I don't think anyone expects a 10% beer to be sessional but I thought it went down with ease. A bomber of this will make the night perfect.

Overall, this has been an excellent beer, it lived up to everything I had hoped it would be. I don't believe I have ever given a 5, and I thought I would never but Stone really was on the money with this one. If only I could find more.

Come on Stone, give this to us all year long!!

This is my first rating of a 5

A: Deep amber. Darker than I would usually think for an American Double IPA. A wonderful cross between honey and molasses.

S: APRICOTS and PEACHES and lots of them. There is as much fruit here as there is pine and citrus in Dreadnaught. The smell is fantastic and really hits the nose strong

T: Nice big double IPA flavor. The fruit in the hops makes way for some sweetness from the malt. Finishes with a mild alcoholic burn, but you would be hard pressed to think it's 10% abv -- it's just THAT balanced

M: Smooth as silk. Nice oily coating that stays on the roof of the mouth and the tongue

D: Absolutely amazing IMO. I would put this right up there with Dreadnaught, although maybe just SLIGHTLY not as good. Hard to say. Delicious!

Where to start with this one. I originally had this for the first time at the Stone's 10th Anni. and it was on cask and double dry hopped and it was terrific. Yesterday I opened my first bottle and needless to say I was impressed. The appearance was a amber orange color with a thick slighty yellow head. The head lasted the whole beer and the was a better than average amount of lacing. The smell was great, one of the most aromatic beers I've had. There was a strong scent of hops, with a nice floral scent. Then there was a nice part of citrus and maybe even a slight scent of pine, also there was a very slight sweetish smell as well.

The taste was amazing, a big dose of hops right of the bat and all the way through. The were hints of citrus, and a nice sweetness that may have come from some carmel??? The after taste was great, with a big hop flavor. The mouthfeel was really good as well, CO2 was perfect and the thickness was great. Also there was not a huge notice of alcohol considering that it is over 10 percent.

All in all my favorite beer to date. The only flaw is the availabilty. This beer at the minimum should be a yearly offering and in my opinon should be offered year round. I would tell you to get some and try, but you will be lucky if you find any.

Received in trade today from a hometown brother BA. Thanks Nate. It's my 15th Anniversary today and I'm happy to share it with Stone's 10th.

A- Beautiful copper color in my Duvel tulip. What little head there was doesn't last long. At 10% ABV, I'm not surprised.

S- WOW! The pine jumped out of the bottle and slapped me. My 13 year old son claimed the cap before I opened it. Upon tossing it to him, he said: "Wow Dad, it smells alot like pine" 'nuff said.

T- Far and away the best (and most anticipated) part of this beer. A full bore hops assault, followed by a melange of spices, then a blast of alcohol. I say a blast, but the transition is so smooth, you hardly notice it. This is everything I look for in a DIPA, and then some.

M- Superb. Spreads across the tongue and then dances around every nook and cranny.

D- I may be the exception, but one reason I drink DIPA's like this one is for their strength. I'm a fairly big guy, so I could handle a couple. Beyond that, I'd have to go to water, with a fond memory of just how great this beer is.

All in all, I have a new favorite. This is my first "5". To me, this beer blends the characteristic's of my three personal top DIPA/IIPA's: Unearthly, Dreadnaught and Maharaja into one tasty package. I copped a case in trade....now I need to find a few more.

OUTSTANDING - get you some

This beer was served in a Imperial Pint Glass. I approaced this beer with a mixture of anticipation and dread. I feared after drinking the 9th Anniversary Stones had lost their way. This company made its way with ballsy hoppy beers. I am glad to see the 10th Anniversary IPA indeed has a pair of Stones. Thanks Stones for a great beer! The sad thing is its a one time offering. I am tempted to try and cellar some; however, I think cellaring would destroy the lovely character of this beer.

Appearance: The beer pours a coppery orange coloration. The beer has a thick two+ finger biege head. The head has near perfect staying power. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is a fantastic combination of resinous pine needles, citrus zest, oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruit, pineapple sweetness, grassy floral hops. This is a hop lovers delight.

Taste: The beer delivers the taste of the smell. This is a great blend of the above flavors paired well with some sweet caramel maltyness. The alcohol gives the beer complementing spicyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium plus body. The beer has a fantastic combination of crisp hoppyness and sticky resinous hops. The taste really seems to last a long time. The beer was a joy from the begining to the end of the bottle. This beer has a very sticky mouthfeel. The beer is big and you may not be able to inhale it fast. That is not necessarily a bad thing as this is a beer to savior.

Thank you stone for being the pallet assassin!

I love big bold beers, unless I want to get something done.

A.: clouding copper

S: big fruity hints and grapefruit.

T: MMM Hops alcohol and butterscotch.

F: good annihilate all other flavors in your mouth feeling. Like you could chew raw garlic and teach a virgin how to kiss after drinking this. The Stone experience is what other tastes can we knock out of your fead.

Yes, Love it, by it and be at home, with not were to go and hit this beer. It is so aggressive, You must take a preemptive strikeQ@

So, after an extended absence, this reviewer is back with another sublime beer to report on. Much anticipated release from the folks in San diego does not fail to dissappoint. An amazing beer with much to write home about.
Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass; the color of the beer is one of the more beautiful that I have seen in a long time, deep royal ruby red amber, nice silky glass lacing and head retention indicates freshness. Smells of herbs and hops a sophisitcated sweet smell that promises much and delivers. I would say that this is a like a beautiful belgian with a distinct character and bitterness of an IPA. The 10% alchohol makes its presence felt but it is not overpowering. the beer is super silky smooth and was a joy to drink on the back deck with an old friend(who drank Rolling rock- one of the last latrobe brewed bottles), OK. I love tis beer! It is SOPHISTICATED! with a capitol "S"! The profile of the beer changed as the bomber was killed over the afternoon, but unlike other reviewers the alcholol did not become edgey in my palate's estimation. Drinkability is slow relfective as it should for this sublime experience. A special occassion beer- say for an anniversary? I can't wait to age some of the case that I've luckily been able to get my hands on. Look for updates to this review in 2011 and 2016. Happy 10th Stone for a job continuously and righteously, need I say outrageously welldone! cheers! Thanks for the beer memories...

3 bottles into the case and my review hits 5s across the board. As my palate gets more finicky but also demands to have its a-- kicked this beer does it for me in spades. SIMPLY AMAZING!
Update 12-31/12:
Drank one of my last two bottles for the 10th new years married and now 10th new years in my house anticipation mounts as I wait to see how this aged. The verdict-
DELICiOUS! Now drinks like a barley wine amazing flavors of almond brandies Cherry and of course oak caramel and even peat wonderful way to ring in 2013 wonder what the abc now is...

Served in my arrogant bastard pub glass.

Pours a coppery-orange color with large beige head that last throughout the drinking. Super lacing.

Smells slightly piney, earth and floral hops. Strong citrus and tropical (pineapple mainly) smells along with a caramel malty sweetness. Very complexly aromatic.

Taste. Simply perfect. Very juicy in the taste while being well balanced with the maltiness. I can taste a raw cane sugar. Perfect balance of earthy and piney hops and caramel malt. Very fruity, pineapple and grapefruit are most pronounced, but there are other flavors that I can't quite tell what they are that balance it all out.

Medium plus body, slight oiliness without being filmy. Finished with a nice grapefruity dryness. The alcohol is well presented. I just can't stop drinking this!

Easy to drink, tastes so good. I must stop geekin' and get back to drinkin'!

I received a 3L growler of this treasure and what a gift it was! It pours a deep rich coppery amber. Nice head retention thinning to a nice crown. The aromas that are clear are citrus and good hops. The taste is fantastic, very hoppy but not too bitter. The mouthfeel is perfection and it drinks well, and isn't hard, even with the high ABV

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

appearence: dark amber w/ a frothy 11/2 inch head that was slighty cooper. had a full lasting head w some good lacing.

smell: heavy malt and grapefruit scent w/ a small hint of alcohol. strangely enough my wife and I got a hint of cottoncandy.

taste and mouthfeel: full body, syrupy, lively carbonation feel. Initially started off moderately sweet but ends w/ a long lasting heavy bitter flavor. Also has a hint of alcohol.

drinkability: great thick sipping brew

Overall Stone's 10th Anniversary IPA rocks. Love how intense and well balanced this brew was. Leaving a nice feeling of warmth as it went down. The brew got better as it reached room temperature.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance: pours a beautiful blood orange amber, with some blond accents. A frothy head which settles into a smaller, barely-there froth, with some very, very pretty lacing upon swirling the glass.

Smell: Wowy wow wow. Undoubtedly one of the most pleasant noses I've ever smelled on a beer, ever. So much going on, as others have said: piney, floral, and citrusy hops up front, criss crossing with some incredible ester-like tropical malt aromas, including pineapple, kiwi, blueberry, and a little apple, dissolving into an earthy, slightly alcoholic backbone. Just incredible.

Taste: Again, wow. The so-familiar hop bitterness kicks in first, orangey, citrusy stuff with some floral accents. So many hop flavors whoo. Pineapple, kiwi, strawberry, blueberry malt flavors next, criss crossing, again, with the hop flavors in almost perfect matrimony. Lastly, an earthy rusticness grounds your palate. Slight alcoholic sting, but the 10% is hidden extremely, extremely well. Great.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, juicy, as another reviewer said perhaps a little under carbonated, but I didn't mind.

Drinkability: Amazing. I could drink these for hours, if not for the deceptive ABV (you only remember its percentage when you finish one and have that familiar warm body sensation). Just an amazing IIPA, unlike any other I've really had. I'd probably pick this over Yule Smith, even, but that's just me. One of my favorite beers ever - hands down. I've been a Stone fan for a long time, but this is just on a pillar of greatness not reached by anything I can remember.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

I bought a case of this right when it was released, so I have had it quite fresh and a few staggered every other month. This is my first one in maybe 2 months. I'm a huge fan of this beer.

A) Still pours nice and thick with a dark cantelope color.

S) Enormous, exploding aroma of hops. I don't know which hops have which flavor/aroma character. (i.e. amarillo, cascade, etc)

T) Huge and robust. I can taste a hint of pineapple overtones. I had this once on tap and that's when the pineapple was right up front.

M) Chewy and thick.

D) This could be a desert island beer for me!

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Well I don't think I reviewed this beer right when it came out but I saved a few bottles for aging. Fast forward to today and beer has been in a wine fridge for about 6 months. And wow! I have to say at first I liked the beer but it was a bit too much for me. Like double bastard just a complete kicks in the balls. The taste was too much alcohol for my taste and the hops were just too up front. What a difference the 6 months made!

A - Pours a dark orangish copper like color. Decent head that leaves a bit of lacing but not much.

S - Man the smell, the one I cracked open just smelled like hops. I had just been working with some amarillo hops in homebrew and swore I could pick them out in the smell of the beer. Not sure if there is any amarillo but it sure smelled pretty similar. Mostly I was picking up the hops in the aroma and it was nice! At the advice of a friend I got an IPA glass and drank it out of this and just as he said the aroma while drinking the beer was great.

T - This bottle tasted just grand. That hot alcohol taste was not nearly as pronounced giving way to a catty hop flavor. Very small malt aftertaste the fresh hop taste was most pronounced.

M - Good medium body, nice carbonation that never gets "fizzy". As with most stone beers.

D - Since the alcohol mouthfeel has subsided some it was much more drinkable. I enjoyed the bottle to the last drop but I do use a wine cork to keep half in the fridge till I am done with the first glass so I did not really let this one warm up.

kind of strange reading these other reviews maybe some bottles just don't age well? I have like 2 more so I will crack open another one soon and relay back if there is any big differences but if my other bottles are aging like this one this should be a tasty one!

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Served at fridge temperature in an imperial pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a fiery reddish-orange hue from the glass, with just the slightest haze... the head rises to about four fingers, showcasing beautifully uniform bubbles that hang together and stay put forever. This beer is going nowhere... it is a statue with a gorgeous color and amazing lacing. Slick and gooey on the eyes, my nose is already getting a treat just sitting near this.

Smell- This is the hop aroma that I seek out above anything else when looking for a great IIPA... a thunderous explosion of sweet honeyed pink grapefruit that tantalizes the senses like the Victoria's Secret lingerie special. As the beer opens up, a generous dose of fresh baked bread adds to the already orgasmic ride.

Taste- Fresh as could possibly be imagined... the flavors emphatically reinforce the flawless nose, with its sweet, citrus character. Behind the hops come a wonderfully bready note along with a perfectly placed malt backing... then the long, sweet yet bitter finish completes the episode. This really is an amazing, top-notch beer... I wouldn't age this for a minute. If this were a year-round offering from Stone, I would never get tired of it.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Creamy, slick, oily... smooth as could be, with substantial weight. Somehow the alcohol is masked completely... for a DIPA, this is the most perfectly crafted example I've had the pleasure of drinking. A desert-island beer and a great surprise, not knowing what to expect from this.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Exceptional on all fronts.

Appearance - Beautiful gold/pale with lots of floaties. Wonderful dense and frothy head.

Nose - deliciously hoppy nose! As soon as i popped the cap you could smell the citrusy hops. Mind blowingly intense nose.

Taste - Fascinating! Very bright and fresh malty notes combine with an aggressive tropical hop profile. Some tropical fruit notes - possibly pineapple with some passion fruit? The brightness of this beer is wonderful. Really glides across the palette and sparks the wonder factor hugely. Malty notes are sparkly and refreshing with a bitter finish that is very refined and appreciated.

mouthfeel - exceptional. perfect mouthfeel - bright and hoppy with a fullbodied but not cloying in any way.

drinkability - excellent. potent brew though.

conclusion: one of the most exceptional IPAs i've had the pleasure of drinking. Absolutely spot on for the style and my favorite of all the stone brews. Three thumbs up!

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from the Sweeetest looking Stone bottle ever, this brew's as bright as a copper penny with a sustaining khaki head that leaves intricate webs of lace.

Aroma is of sweet, succulant nectar. A variatable cornacopia of sweet, fruity tones mingled with the omnipotance of a bounty of hops. Peach, pear, melon, tangerine and grapefruit citrus are balanced by notes of caramelized honey, crushed pine needles, and brewed green tea. One of the most seductive noses I've seen in a beer lately.

The taste is certainly on par with the nose. Complex fruit and intense honey drenched tangerine and grapefruit rind lead into bittersweet crushed pine needles, green herbs, and piercing, lasting bitterness. The hop flavors meld wonderfully and yeild a very complex and delicious IIPA.

Body is big, slick, and slippery. Each hoppy sip coates your lips in sticky hop resin. A serious joy to drink, this is awesome!

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a burnt orange almost amber in color with a a darker tan head into my brand new Stone 10th pint glass. Plenty of piney hops, citrusy grapefruit scents and a hint of sweet malts. Now the most important part, WOAH, talk about getting smacked with a pine tree, lots of piney taste (yeah I know it's an I2PA but wow) also a strong taste of grapefruit, it's almost like a blooming flower one taste as you begin then it slowly opens into another taste and does this several times. I like it. The alcohol is hidden pretty well but is present. Gotta be careful with these. I need to have another one of these before I decide but I'm leaning towards this being my favorite Stone Brew. If you don't like hops or chewing on pine tree branches stay away :)

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

I don't know how I possibly could have gotten this any fresher than I did. Fresh off the dolly as it entered the beverage wharehouse and cold. 20 cases rolled in, 19 were left standing. Pours a perfect, shiney copper with a seafoam type, loose head that leaves sliding cover all the way down.

Hoppy nose for sure. Comes across more balanced in the taste and is done very well. A darker candied feel to the malts, caramel comes to mind. Citrusy, Orange, mild spiceyness. Some American Stong Ale characteristics in the malt balance. Peppery in the aftertaste. In short, this brew has a little bit of everything: Silky smooth mouthfeel that later shreds at ya and clamps down. Citrusy, Spicey hops that battle with a rather large malt bill and the alcohol splash is pleasing? Yes sir, please open another.

Notes: Incredibly complex.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA was clear, copper/brass in color and topped by a large, off-white head. Aroma had notes of grapefruit, lemon, and orange, with a bready undertone. Flavor begins sweet and bready, followed with lemon zest and orange, and finished with bitterness and a hint of alcohol. Body was in the medium-full range and the carbonation was in the mid-range.

Stone 10th is a big, bold, and bitter beer, but still is remarkably balanced. I feel a bit guilty that I didn't share this IPA. Oh well, I'll get over it. Seek out this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 22 oz Bomber. Man Im glad I cam upon a stash of this stuff.

Appearance was a light orangish amber color with brilliant clarity and an off white head that was slightly smaller than anticipated but stayed around a long while (perhaps a more vigorous pour was in order).

The smell was heavenly - Huge, wet pine hits the nose and penetrates all the way through to the throat. Hints of pineapple and grapefruit also seep through.

Taste was a fine example of balance. First the mouthfeel of a residually sweet malt hits you, earthy cherry and even hints of bubblegum are present giving way to a great hop profile. The hops hit you gradually giving you just enought time to tatse the malt before kicking in further in somewhat of an exponential scale until full bitterness and even a hint of peppery spiciness is achieved and the alcohol warms all the way down your throat.

As the beer warms the alcohol becomes more apparent but is still balanced by the huge hop presence.

Carbonation was spot on as well.

My only knock on the beer was initial small head but the retention was outstanding.

Grab some if you can.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

I tasted this beer, and to be honest, this is exceptional beer. I am used to the strong ales produced by Stone. In fact I bought a bottle of 10th anniversary for my friends to see how they like it first. This beer is awesome, it has one of the best malt backgrounds that one can hope for. The smell is that of a light grass. The mouthful taste like heaven, and the taste matches. To be honest with everyone I hope they produce this year round. I love Yulesmith, but this one is just as good if not better. I feel I am a traitor when I say this. But it is the truth, this beer rocks, would love to have it on cask or naturally carbonated. Thanks Stone and I wish you another happy 10 years.
This beer is sweet, and makes one wanting more. There is no way that this beer is 10.0 abv, because with the taste you will never know.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

this is far and away my favorite beer (...as of yet...)

A - bright, vibrant copper color, or burnt orange, or whatever you want to call it. thick, white head that faded to gorgeous lacing on both the top of the beer and down the glass.

S - This smell will provide the bench mark for all other smells. A whallop of citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops, toasted caramel malts, and faint wiffs of fruity alcohol. My mouth watered.

T - So. Very. Good. Big, juicy hoppy taste, which hides the (10%!) alcohol quite nicely. Some sweetness from the malts, but this is a showcase for the hops. The flavor lingers for a while after the sip has gone down and there is nice warming feeling in the back of the mouth and throat. Very well balanced.

M - Heavy mouthfeel, but not overly so. This big feel just adds to the taste and doesn't make the beer syrupy at all.

D - This is beer as food, and in the best way. I'm so sad I didn't get to have more of this, as it seems the local stores are out of the 22s. crap.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Dangerously drinkable and very potent, this beer lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. The beer pored a deep brown color with a beautiful thick off white head. The beer smelled like candied hops, that's the only way I can describe it. Great sweet maltiness mixed in with huge citrus hops and a candy like scent. The flavor was outstanding. Reminded me of a more complex and aged Arrogant Bastard. Very hoppy but what I love about the beer was the great tasting malt(s) used to balance the flavor and add more character. Very citrusy hops and the malts were nice and robust and mixed in nicely with the slight alchoholic flavors in the finish. All in all this one is great to drink now but I have a feeling that it will only get better with age.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.