Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Overlord

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Hell of a brew. Had it fresh years ago (dimly remembered), and recall loving it, but was surprised to see bottles of this reappearing.

Pours a bright orange with hints of amber. Two inches of off-white head.

The aroma ... breathtaking. Exotic fruits (pineapple? Mango? Guava? Mandarin Orange?) and a bunch of sweet white grapefruit with ... is that malt I detect? Wow, the flavor is pretty balanced. Sweet, viscous caramel, delightful brown sugar, and a bunch of sweet grapefruit and tropical notes.

This is a splendid beer, and I'm shocked at how well it's aged. Going back and getting more. Many more. I never cellar any hop-based brews, but I'm going to make an exception. This has really gone through a barley-wine style maturation process (10% ABV?), and while it may be a different animal, it's still one I'd like to butcher and consume.

**I spotted this review after writing my own: I agree, and would like to know how the tenth was stored.

01-25-2009 08:15:18 | More by Overlord
NeroFiddled

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I don't usually write reviews like this because I feel that the purpose of a review is to inform other readers of what a beer tastes like, and then in some way help to give them an idea of what relevance or value it might have to them. However, given the recent thread about the decline of Dogfish Head and Sam's response to it, I thought I'd mention some "popularity backlash" that's gone on here.

Stone seems to be receiving a 'popularity backlash'. I was told by several people that the 10th Anniversay was not particularily worth it, and that it was a "let down". One person even stated that Stone has simply taken to making "gimmick" beers to garner more interest. I almost didn't buy this beer based on that. But looking at the price (which is actually great in comparison to many others), and knowing, based on their previous efforts, that it would at the least be "very good", I went back to the aisle where I found it and added it to my cart. And I couldn't be more happier!

It pours a very clear orange-amber body beneath a creamy head of off-white that holds remarkably well and leaves rings of craggy lace that are so numerous they become almost a "wall" of spotty and streaky lace.

The nose is bright with citrusy and pungent hops, and fruity with yeast, over a sweetish caramelish malt base. It's big and round and supple with fruit (sugary apricot, peach, grapefruit, and tangerine), soft pine, and light caramel. I find no harsh edges to it; and I think it might be one of the best beer aroma's I've found - ever!

In the mouth it's full-bodied and gently effervescent with a delicate, fine-bubbled carbonation that leaves it remarkably smooth.

In the flavor, it delivers piney, grassy, and fruity hoppiness (orange, grapefruit - as well as some yeasty berry and plum) upfront atop a slick wave of maltiness that seems to balance itself 'oh so perfectly'. There's a caramel edge to it, but the basic grainy and straw-like character is still in command. It's superbly well-rounded between the flavors, and perfectly balanced by the bitterness. It's sweetish but not sweet - and bitter but not BITTER!

Very nice! Superbly balanced! Interesting! Drinkable! A must-try!

10-07-2006 17:23:34 | More by NeroFiddled
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Originally revied on 10/12/2006.

This one has been sitting in my fridge for 6 weeks. Ive been waiting, Ive read the reviews, now its my turn.

Lots of carbonation that continues to push the head to a taller nice tan mountain, even after your done pouring. Almost 2 and a half fingers tall. Body is a rich beautiful orange amber typical of many Belgium styles. Nose is a vibrant citrus, fruit sweet hop explosion to the system. Very inviting. Enters the mouth silky and fruity sweet with a very even slightly oily hoppy backbone. Amazing balance and personality. Finishes with a candy sweet ting and a hoppy bitter bite. Alchol hides very well but you know its there trust me. Excellent landmark brew.

01-17-2007 18:57:55 | More by SPLITGRIN
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark golden copper color with a one finger just off-white head with very thin bubbles. Some thin swirls of head stay on top of the liquid.

Fruity and piney notes come in but are overtaken by lots of malt. Toasty toffee and caramel come in with very spicy alcohol with a hint of tanned hides. Mmm. I can't wait to dig in.

Bitter spicy hops attack up front but are surprisingly balanced by the fruity citrusy hops. Huge orange peel taste. Very smooth almost thick mouthfeel that tickles the tongue. There's some alcohol warmth after swallowing but it quickly turns dry. Very dry and spicy in the swallow.

Mmm good beer. Many thanks to Zorro for this WONDERFUL beer.

10-09-2006 04:52:57 | More by timtheenchanta
blackie

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: Pours into my favorite beer glass with a fluffy, off-white head that slowly falls to a nice layer on the surface that lasts for quite awhile. Light lacing is left behind as I drain the glass. The beer is a bright copper-amber in color. Reverse label #4 of 10.

smell: At first sniff, I find a full-on hop assault of the nose. Juicy, dark, evergreen hops that lend lovely notes of tropical fruits. These hops are backed up by a sweet, malty caramel aroma. Ethanol presence is low, at most, and a boon to the aroma. Notes of tangerine, concentrated fig pulp, and vanilla iced lemon poundcake. Exceptional mix of badass hops with sweet malts and fruits.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is low-medium. The body is a full medium, somewhat slick on the tongue, though it cleans up nicely in the finish.

taste: Big, grainy caramel malt sweetness supports a thick American hop flavor. Unrelenting pulpy, dark evergreen hops coat the palate from sip to finish. Notes of tropical fruits and citrus, sweet Turkish fig sugars, and golden raisins. Sweet cake. I'm guessing the IBU's are high here, but it really doesn't come across that way. Not a drop of ethanol is noticeable. Moderate bitterness in the finish with long-lingering grain and hop flavors.

drinkability: easy, considering...though i do feel the alcohol after the first 1/3 bottle. An extremely well rounded beer for such a monster. The only DIPA I've had that can touch YuleSmith.

the "surprise" in my latest box in an ongoing exchange with dirtylou

08-22-07: Still good, but already going downhill. The malts have backed off, revealing more of the ethanol that was well hidden before. Hops still nice but also pretty faded. Past its prime for sure.

01-15-2007 00:18:27 | More by blackie
TrickKnee

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After what seems of months of waiting I was finally able to procur a case of these wonderful beauties.
A-Deep amber color, almost copper with a nice thick rich head
S-The smell of citrus and pine is everywhere, i wish glade could make plug-ins smell like this.
T-Unbeleivable, bitter but yet not too bitter
M-Stays in your mouth for a long time. After swallowing when you take a breath the flavor of the hops comes back to say hi, its a wonderfull thing
D-I could drink a lot of these in one sitting, but considering i only have 11 left, it will be slow going to ensure I have enough to at least last through december. WHy Stone WHy, did this have to be a one time brewing.

09-23-2006 11:11:11 | More by TrickKnee
Ieatlambfries

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

This Double IPA poured a dark copper orange. The head was scarce. What little bubbles it did have were tiny and dense. It did leave some scattered lacing, but that didn't stay long either.

Th smell had up front notes of canned pineapple. Sweet tropical fruits as well piney and citrus hop aromas. A hint of alcohol could be detected as well.

This beer hits you upfront with hops. Flavors ranging from grapefruit and orange to resiny pine. No doubt there's some simcoe in there, as well as other hp varieties. The fruit flavors detected in the smell were present in the taste as well. It reminded me of a good Chardonnay with it's layered tropical fruits and citrus flavors in the finish. Also a nice dose of toasty malt. Just sweet enough to balance the hops, but not overwhelming. there is definitely some alcohol lurking in the background. You feel it when you exhale.

The mouthfeel is big and expansive. Slightly biting carbonation. For the size of the beer it's also very drinkable. the hop taste is big, but not numbing to the palate. And the malt is sweet, but just sweet enough.

Overall one of the best Double IPA's I've had yet. I felt it struck a better balance between the hops and the malt than other examples in it's class. Much more balanced than Ruination. An excellent effort for an anniversary brew.

10-01-2006 23:08:19 | More by Ieatlambfries
TastyTaste

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to tyrawlings for the chance. Poured into a Dobbelen tulip.

Appearance: Rust colored body, big off-white head, very slow fade.

Smell: Sweet caramel in front sharp alcohol and floral hops (a lot of them). There is also a strong fruit and honey scent that makes it a very interesting beer to smell.

Taste: A rich and maly, yet highly hopped DIPA. Sweet, yet never cloying, a well above average DIPA. The alcohol is noticable, but an asset to the experience.

Drinkability: While not the best in the style, not too far from, top notch. Happy 10th, Stone.

10-07-2006 21:49:13 | More by TastyTaste
sulldaddy

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this brew at room temp poured into a pint glass. The brew pours a clear amber to mahogany color with creamy beige head that recedes to a sturdy edge layer, leaving tight lattice work.
Aroma is mostly citrusy hops and a hint of caramel. Further sniffs get some grassy notes as well.
First sip reveals an average body and gentle fine carbonation. Texture is slightly sticky and leaves some residue on my lips after each sip.
Flavor is sweet caramel that rolls to citrusy and grassy hops just like the nose. the finish becomes a little dry and bitey but not over the top like I expected going into the brew. Very drinkable for a 10% beer!

01-20-2007 02:45:20 | More by sulldaddy
LeeMarvin

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was a long, terrible wait, but it was worth it! Just opening the bottle released a cornucopia of aromas. Pouring it in the glass caused the room to fill up with flowery essences that crowded into my nasal cavity.

Sitting in the pint glass next to the cool bottle, it's a beautiful beer, with a color and head matching my expectations. Almost a shame to have to go and drink it.

The taste came on very, very strong with the first mouthfull, but mellowed on the tongue the more you drink it and the more it breathes.

This is a potent brew--by the end of the bottle I can say that I had a good glow going. It's got a lot of alcohol in it, so hiding away a couple of these bad boys for aging would be wise. If you can resist drinking them, that is.

09-25-2006 14:55:48 | More by LeeMarvin
arizcards

Arizona

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's Labor Day weekend for $4.99.

Beer poured an orange-amber color with a nice white head that is leaving a good lacing behind. Nose is heavily tinged with grapefruit floral hops and is also bready. Taste is very well balanced for the style. Initially the palate is hit with the malts and finishes with a counterpunch of citrusy hops which actually does not overwhelm the palate. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lively on the palate. Drinkability improves as I go. Initially the alcohol was extremely warming but since has mellowed. This is an awesome beer that I would recommend to fans of the Double IPA style.

01-27-2007 23:04:43 | More by arizcards
Westsidethreat

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clean, dark amber honey colored concoction. Lots of mellow bubble activity in the glass weaving too and frow, working their way to the top. The head is a solid one finger layer made up of creamy, tight light beige bubbles. Webbing like swiss cheese is left behind.

S: Yes, this smells great. Very fresh and healthy. Now for the details. Fruity and citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, lemon rind, strawberry, raspberry. Touch of pine bark lurking below the surface. Solid malt syrup adds a much appreciated extra dimension to ever sniff (and inevitably ever swallow)

T: . Wow, lots going on here. Lets start from the top. Immediate mixture of sweet malts and sneaky bitterness tickles the front of the tongue. Pine needle sap dances on the front center of the tongue as the liquid move towards the back of the mouth. Caramel notes spike while the transition from forest to Florida come to fruition. Citrus flavors mix with red fruits and coast the palate into a more complex moment with bitterness becoming much more apparent. The alcohol is apparent and in your face (for better or for worse). This beer would be great on a winter night, as it warms the tummy so exquisitely.

M: Medium body and surprisingly smooth for such a bitter beer.

D: Huge. Great friggin beer. Hand crafted superbly.

08-25-2006 03:40:38 | More by Westsidethreat
Aprilluvsbeer

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My third review and it's a doozy! My beer reviews are pretty much for me, in my own words, so I can remember each beer experience!

This beer was my very first double IPA ever. I had it a few months ago, after I bought an entire case of it for a fellow BA (Blithering Idiot) for being such a great friend and showing me a couple of great beer stores in PA and MD. He left my husband and I two bottles out of the case to try out. Not really thinking anything of it, a few weeks later I finally said okay, let's try this Stone 10th Anniversary Ale..now, mind you,I am not a hophead by any stretch, as a matter of fact I am not really a fan of bitter or really hoppy beers at all, I prefer stouts!

Poured a clear, crisp, golden color, with a bit of head and some lacing into my tulip.

The smell, oh, the smell is the best part - all of the hops gives a citrusy, fruity, piney, smell, with a final, strong, smack in the face grapefruit smell. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of this beer..I could just smell it all day long!!

The second best part of this beer is the taste. I gotta tell you that when I first smelled this, I was afraid that the taste would be exactly the same - smack in the face grapefruit. In as much as I love the smell, I don't really like the taste of grapefruit. I was pleasantly surprised that this beer is not overpowered by the grapefruit. A nice, full bodied beer, and a perfect balance between the hops and malt here. No major bitterness here at all!

Today, I am enjoying yet another 10th Anniversary, about the 3rd or 4th one since my very first, and each time, I enjoy it more and more. This is by far the best DIPA I have had thus far.

Way to go, Stone!
Cheers!
April

12-01-2006 00:18:21 | More by Aprilluvsbeer
jeffjfindley

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

09-02-2006 23:46:42 | More by jeffjfindley
azdback

Arizona

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Dark copper color, very clear in appearance. Quite a lot of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a small one finger head that is just a tad bit darker than sea foam in color and creamy in appearance. The six years this has sat in the bottle has done nothing to the appearance. Very nice.

Smell is ultra sweet. Much like a Barleywine, caramelized sugar, light molasses or kayro syrup, some vanilla and lots of booze.

Taste is just fantastic. Creamy sweet caramel syrup vanilla notes, some bitterness and a bit of alcohol burn. I think the bitterness I am detecting could be some oxidation but I'm not refined in tasting this old of a beer.

Mouth is just fantastic. Smooth and creamy, carbonation is right on. The finish is very long and wet but not super mouth coating witch is nice.

Overall I must first thank t0rin0 for this bottle. He answered an ISO and wanted nothing in return. I did, of course, send him a box but he wanted nothing. To the beer... For this being as old as it is it drank fantastic!! Much more like a Barleywine than a DIPA but that is to be expected. I am glad I chose to celebrate IPA day 2012 with this!! Grab one if you can.

08-03-2012 05:08:01 | More by azdback
johnniemarg

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

09-23-2006 04:21:10 | More by johnniemarg
GPHarris

Alabama

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a three fingers thick light tan head into a large weizen glass. the head was thick, billowy and incredibly long-lasting. left thick lacing and nice sheeting throughout.
s - as soon as i popped the cap i was hit with the aroma of grapefruit. very sweet and malty. the aromas mix nicely between hoppy and malty.
t - piney, floral and citrus tastes with a nice malt backbone that really balances out well.
m - smooth and sticky, it really coats the tongue.
d - you can really feel the alcohol after one bomber of this. i was feeling really good afterwards. it goes down so smooth you don't even know what hits you. i really enjoyed this beer.

03-30-2007 13:49:02 | More by GPHarris
sjstraub

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Figured I should chose a good one for my first review, so take everything with a grain of salt. Drank from a thin lipped tulip glass.

A: An amber orange color. Not so thin that you can easily see through it, but not cloudly like a weis. Nice head with very tight bubbles. Good retention on the head. A quick swirl will re-invigorate the head.

S: Holy hops! The sweetness of the hops aroma is very strong and certainly lingers in the glass. I don't smell the pineapple of the previous poster, but certainly almost a flowerly sweet.

T: Complex tasting beer. The hops flavor is very strong and brings the sweet aroma into your mouth. The tartness lingers for quite some time. What an IPA should taste like.

M: A smooth lighter feel. Tingling on the sides of the tongue. Great carbonation. Enough to really make the beer explode all over.

D: Overall a gorgeous looking and feeling beer. I have never been a huge fan of IPAs, so I can't say that I would drink a number of these, but for the style, very good.

01-12-2007 02:00:41 | More by sjstraub
cabsandking

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Cloudy orange/brown color with a beige head showing fair retention. The nose displays a developed malty richness over time; dark buttery caramel, toffee, hot alcohol esters, slight piney hop touch and a little sulfery funk. The malt sweetness shows range; caramel and buttery toffee, molasses, roasted grains, nutty. A piney hop bite in the back balances out the malt characters and herbal floral hop characters that are soft at times and oily, resinous other times jump around from sip to sip. A little metallic, hot alcohol spice hangs on the palate, boozy...reminds you of its strength. Much of the hop fruitiness has faded with age and mostly noticed in the finish with larger fruity, piney, pineapple and acidic citrus notes come out. Full bodied and a thick, oily mouthfeel and creamy carbonation is very nice.

10-04-2007 17:03:00 | More by cabsandking
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Acquired via trade from IntriqKen, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a medium-sized, foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a nice blend of strong hops, sweet citrus and caramelized malt.

T: Sweet flavors of citrus and caramel start off, and then the hops bitterness quickly comes out, followed by a mild rush of alcohol warmth. It’s a little sweeter and not as hoppy as I expected, but it’s very well-balanced. It tastes very similar to but a little bit better than the 9th Anniversary Ale from what I remember of it. Wish I had saved a bottle of that one to compare.

M: Super smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy, not very filling, good representation of the style, but the high ABV makes this one an excellent sipper. This is yet another great beer from Stone.

01-04-2007 03:47:24 | More by TheManiacalOne
flexabull

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Well... needed something special for my 100th review. I think this should work fine.

Pours a clear amber color, with a nice head. A great looking beer.

Nose is sweet, a bit dusty, and citrus like. A bit different than I expected. Still a pleasant beer to smell.

This somewhat innocent looking beer really knocks you upside the mouth when you first taste it... whoa! Really bitter and pine like up front, has a sweet and tart middle, then finishes with a bit of creaminess, some alcohol making it's presence known, and then the bitterness from the hops hits you again. This is extremely well balanced for such a huge beer.

Mouthfeel is unbelievable. This is a huge well rounded beer that really coats your mouth. Almost perfect!

This is an amazing beer. It loses a few points for being a bit over the top, but I would never turn one of these down. However... I'd probably only have one per night.

12-06-2006 02:47:40 | More by flexabull
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

pop, bottle 5 of 10 for geeky collectors who care.

pour, wow, what beautiful cascading bubbles. the brew settles picturesque into my demon's hopyard tulip. a distinct leathery brown-orange color is dominant, although variations on autumn exist throughout the cloudy body. the hilly silk foam that rests atop this beer is pure cream with a fleck of open air pocket here and there.

smells like i just carved up a fresh pineapple inside my beer glass. then i took an orange wedge and squeezed that over top of the pineapple chunks. perhaps even sliced a banana into the mix, and blended it like a smoothie. this beer is pure tropical fruit bliss to smell.. i am in awe of the aromas hovering directly over the beer in question. if there was a stone 10th anniversary car air freshener, i would buy a lifetime supply.

the beer itself is appropriately thick and stings of bitterness, but i think that is to be expected. initial flavors border on piney but lean more towards the tooth-grinding bitterness of citrus rind. something floral escapes into the nasal cavity and distracts from the alcohol and hop barrage. a crisp (dry?) bitterness follows that engulfs the tongue, serving to further cover up the alcohol notes. the way this beer works is perfect.. i can feel the vicks-like inhalations of abv, but it doesn't interfere with the flavor. i am left after each sip with a refreshed palate, but a thin layer of hop scum all over my mouth. i find myself drinking this faster than i should with a ten-percenter.. warmth brings out many more hop nuances, which define this beer succinctly. the malt profile is not overly sweet and plays a nice primer to the green bud housepaint. further warmth gets a woody, almost cedary note to emerge. the complexities here are making my head spin. this easily puts both ruination and ipa to shame in both flavor and aroma.

not a session beer by any means, but not in the league of hoppy barleywines either. stone has made a beefy burger to celebrate the big 1-0, and done it in style. nothing goofy, nothing off-kilter, just a kick-ass trip-p-a. go stone.

10-12-2006 12:39:30 | More by goodbyeohio
DrJay

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Enjoyed from my Arrogant Bastard glass. Clear orange/amber colour with a long-lasting beige head. The foam was composed of bubbles of mixed sizes, though the smaller ones tended to cling in solid sheets to the glass as I sipped. Pine resin hit my nose just after I cracked the bottle and was still strong after the pour, but by this time other aromas were present. Grapefruit became an equal to the pine and chalky, floral hops became more apparent. The only hint of malt came in the form of a sweet orange aroma. A solid malt backbone forms a good flavour base with a bitterness that's nicely balanced. There's a bit of caramel and toasted malt in there that really plays well with the hopping. Notes of hops fade in and out, particularly oranges, grapefruit, and pine. Alcohol is quite warm at the finish and slightly stunned my tongue on the first sip - it's quite pleasant after that. Full bodied with middling carbonation, just on the edge of syrupy. Now that's a big IPA. The aroma is absolutely spectacular. And the malt flavour and alcohol combination was reminiscent of some finer American barleywines while still letting the hops shine. Definitely worthy of Stone's 10th Anniversary.

09-05-2006 00:15:55 | More by DrJay
gford217

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle courtesy of dave12285 poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense tan head that lingers for q while leaving some delicate lacing. Honestly, it looks a lot like an American barleywine...

S: ...and it smells a lot like a barleywine as well. There is an initial citrus hop aroma, but definitely subdued. The smell is dominated by the caramel malts with butterscotch and brown sugar as well.

T: The taste is much like the smell. I never had it fresh, but I imagine there was a huge hop kick in this at some point. Now it's almost all malts with a touch of citrus up front and some earthy hop bitterness in the finish. Lots of sugary sweetness and some dark fruits as well.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, but it is very smooth and sticks to the mouth throughout.

D: This beer has aged very well in my opinion though it's certainly more of a barleywine than an IIPA at this point. Regardless of category, this is a great beer.

09-16-2008 23:45:26 | More by gford217
shirfan

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Deep honey-golden brown with a thick, sticky layer of foam. Slight haze. Excellent lacing.

Juicy hop aroma, but not quite as huge as it could be. Combo of floral and citrus notes with a little pine.

Taste: Five. I don't think a double IPA could surpass this, only perhaps match it. A huge hops presence without excessive bitterness. Flavor profile closely follows the nose... floral and citric notes mix, with mild resin following. On the sweet side, malt holds up well to the hops assault but isn't especially assertive. Just enough alcohol warmth in the finish to be enjoyable without seeming boozy.

This is now my measuring stick against which all DIPAs of the future will be judged.

01-08-2007 03:15:48 | More by shirfan
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.