Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After what seems of months of waiting I was finally able to procur a case of these wonderful beauties.
A-Deep amber color, almost copper with a nice thick rich head
S-The smell of citrus and pine is everywhere, i wish glade could make plug-ins smell like this.
T-Unbeleivable, bitter but yet not too bitter
M-Stays in your mouth for a long time. After swallowing when you take a breath the flavor of the hops comes back to say hi, its a wonderfull thing
D-I could drink a lot of these in one sitting, but considering i only have 11 left, it will be slow going to ensure I have enough to at least last through december. WHy Stone WHy, did this have to be a one time brewing.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

biegaman was nice enough to share this one with me. thanks jan!

pours a light copper colour with a big, dense yellow head. head is slow to drop and leaves a nice layer of lace behind.

aroma is great. first sniff was a touch catty, but after that the other dimensions come out. fruity, orange and tangerine. just a hint of grapefruit. not piney/resiny at all. no real alcohol noticeable.

taste is great. really nice bready malt, decent bitterness level that isn't over the top, and a wonderful hoppiness. alcohol comes a bit, but well balanced. really complex, much more than the average dipa. bit of sherry/dried fruit. maybe cherry. nice.

mouthfeel is great. nice body without being overly full. good moderate carbonation level.

drinkabilty is suprisingly high. hides its 10% really well. i could easily drink a few of these, and fall over. but it's good!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to tyrawlings for the chance. Poured into a Dobbelen tulip.

Appearance: Rust colored body, big off-white head, very slow fade.

Smell: Sweet caramel in front sharp alcohol and floral hops (a lot of them). There is also a strong fruit and honey scent that makes it a very interesting beer to smell.

Taste: A rich and maly, yet highly hopped DIPA. Sweet, yet never cloying, a well above average DIPA. The alcohol is noticable, but an asset to the experience.

Drinkability: While not the best in the style, not too far from, top notch. Happy 10th, Stone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was a long, terrible wait, but it was worth it! Just opening the bottle released a cornucopia of aromas. Pouring it in the glass caused the room to fill up with flowery essences that crowded into my nasal cavity.

Sitting in the pint glass next to the cool bottle, it's a beautiful beer, with a color and head matching my expectations. Almost a shame to have to go and drink it.

The taste came on very, very strong with the first mouthfull, but mellowed on the tongue the more you drink it and the more it breathes.

This is a potent brew--by the end of the bottle I can say that I had a good glow going. It's got a lot of alcohol in it, so hiding away a couple of these bad boys for aging would be wise. If you can resist drinking them, that is.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clean, dark amber honey colored concoction. Lots of mellow bubble activity in the glass weaving too and frow, working their way to the top. The head is a solid one finger layer made up of creamy, tight light beige bubbles. Webbing like swiss cheese is left behind.

S: Yes, this smells great. Very fresh and healthy. Now for the details. Fruity and citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, lemon rind, strawberry, raspberry. Touch of pine bark lurking below the surface. Solid malt syrup adds a much appreciated extra dimension to ever sniff (and inevitably ever swallow)

T: . Wow, lots going on here. Lets start from the top. Immediate mixture of sweet malts and sneaky bitterness tickles the front of the tongue. Pine needle sap dances on the front center of the tongue as the liquid move towards the back of the mouth. Caramel notes spike while the transition from forest to Florida come to fruition. Citrus flavors mix with red fruits and coast the palate into a more complex moment with bitterness becoming much more apparent. The alcohol is apparent and in your face (for better or for worse). This beer would be great on a winter night, as it warms the tummy so exquisitely.

M: Medium body and surprisingly smooth for such a bitter beer.

D: Huge. Great friggin beer. Hand crafted superbly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My third review and it's a doozy! My beer reviews are pretty much for me, in my own words, so I can remember each beer experience!

This beer was my very first double IPA ever. I had it a few months ago, after I bought an entire case of it for a fellow BA (Blithering Idiot) for being such a great friend and showing me a couple of great beer stores in PA and MD. He left my husband and I two bottles out of the case to try out. Not really thinking anything of it, a few weeks later I finally said okay, let's try this Stone 10th Anniversary Ale..now, mind you,I am not a hophead by any stretch, as a matter of fact I am not really a fan of bitter or really hoppy beers at all, I prefer stouts!

Poured a clear, crisp, golden color, with a bit of head and some lacing into my tulip.

The smell, oh, the smell is the best part - all of the hops gives a citrusy, fruity, piney, smell, with a final, strong, smack in the face grapefruit smell. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of this beer..I could just smell it all day long!!

The second best part of this beer is the taste. I gotta tell you that when I first smelled this, I was afraid that the taste would be exactly the same - smack in the face grapefruit. In as much as I love the smell, I don't really like the taste of grapefruit. I was pleasantly surprised that this beer is not overpowered by the grapefruit. A nice, full bodied beer, and a perfect balance between the hops and malt here. No major bitterness here at all!

Today, I am enjoying yet another 10th Anniversary, about the 3rd or 4th one since my very first, and each time, I enjoy it more and more. This is by far the best DIPA I have had thus far.

Way to go, Stone!
Cheers!
April

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a three fingers thick light tan head into a large weizen glass. the head was thick, billowy and incredibly long-lasting. left thick lacing and nice sheeting throughout.
s - as soon as i popped the cap i was hit with the aroma of grapefruit. very sweet and malty. the aromas mix nicely between hoppy and malty.
t - piney, floral and citrus tastes with a nice malt backbone that really balances out well.
m - smooth and sticky, it really coats the tongue.
d - you can really feel the alcohol after one bomber of this. i was feeling really good afterwards. it goes down so smooth you don't even know what hits you. i really enjoyed this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours with a lovely head which stays in a Belgian-like lace for a while.
Color a very clear amber-red.

The nose is full of pine, almost exclusively pine with a hint of citrus and a suggestion of alcohol strength.

Taste: a wonderful combination of pine, mixed peel (think mixed citrus allowed to concentrate and dry a bit, if you're not familiar with the product), plum, guava, and passionfruit. So it's like a punchy fruitcake under the Christmas tree! (Then the hops sneak up with their sagey bitterness under the back of my tongue and remind me that they are making me sleepy, very sleepy..)

Mouthfeel: well carbonated, full bodied, sparkly, warm with booziness.

Drinkability: I'd love to drink a whole growler of this, but in the morning I'd wish I hadn't. Half a bomber at a time for me, thanks. Thank goodness I live with a fellow beer enthusiast who'll happily relieve me of the other half.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I don't usually write reviews like this because I feel that the purpose of a review is to inform other readers of what a beer tastes like, and then in some way help to give them an idea of what relevance or value it might have to them. However, given the recent thread about the decline of Dogfish Head and Sam's response to it, I thought I'd mention some "popularity backlash" that's gone on here.

Stone seems to be receiving a 'popularity backlash'. I was told by several people that the 10th Anniversay was not particularily worth it, and that it was a "let down". One person even stated that Stone has simply taken to making "gimmick" beers to garner more interest. I almost didn't buy this beer based on that. But looking at the price (which is actually great in comparison to many others), and knowing, based on their previous efforts, that it would at the least be "very good", I went back to the aisle where I found it and added it to my cart. And I couldn't be more happier!

It pours a very clear orange-amber body beneath a creamy head of off-white that holds remarkably well and leaves rings of craggy lace that are so numerous they become almost a "wall" of spotty and streaky lace.

The nose is bright with citrusy and pungent hops, and fruity with yeast, over a sweetish caramelish malt base. It's big and round and supple with fruit (sugary apricot, peach, grapefruit, and tangerine), soft pine, and light caramel. I find no harsh edges to it; and I think it might be one of the best beer aroma's I've found - ever!

In the mouth it's full-bodied and gently effervescent with a delicate, fine-bubbled carbonation that leaves it remarkably smooth.

In the flavor, it delivers piney, grassy, and fruity hoppiness (orange, grapefruit - as well as some yeasty berry and plum) upfront atop a slick wave of maltiness that seems to balance itself 'oh so perfectly'. There's a caramel edge to it, but the basic grainy and straw-like character is still in command. It's superbly well-rounded between the flavors, and perfectly balanced by the bitterness. It's sweetish but not sweet - and bitter but not BITTER!

Very nice! Superbly balanced! Interesting! Drinkable! A must-try!

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Figured I should chose a good one for my first review, so take everything with a grain of salt. Drank from a thin lipped tulip glass.

A: An amber orange color. Not so thin that you can easily see through it, but not cloudly like a weis. Nice head with very tight bubbles. Good retention on the head. A quick swirl will re-invigorate the head.

S: Holy hops! The sweetness of the hops aroma is very strong and certainly lingers in the glass. I don't smell the pineapple of the previous poster, but certainly almost a flowerly sweet.

T: Complex tasting beer. The hops flavor is very strong and brings the sweet aroma into your mouth. The tartness lingers for quite some time. What an IPA should taste like.

M: A smooth lighter feel. Tingling on the sides of the tongue. Great carbonation. Enough to really make the beer explode all over.

D: Overall a gorgeous looking and feeling beer. I have never been a huge fan of IPAs, so I can't say that I would drink a number of these, but for the style, very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this brew at room temp poured into a pint glass. The brew pours a clear amber to mahogany color with creamy beige head that recedes to a sturdy edge layer, leaving tight lattice work.
Aroma is mostly citrusy hops and a hint of caramel. Further sniffs get some grassy notes as well.
First sip reveals an average body and gentle fine carbonation. Texture is slightly sticky and leaves some residue on my lips after each sip.
Flavor is sweet caramel that rolls to citrusy and grassy hops just like the nose. the finish becomes a little dry and bitey but not over the top like I expected going into the brew. Very drinkable for a 10% beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Dark copper color, very clear in appearance. Quite a lot of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a small one finger head that is just a tad bit darker than sea foam in color and creamy in appearance. The six years this has sat in the bottle has done nothing to the appearance. Very nice.

Smell is ultra sweet. Much like a Barleywine, caramelized sugar, light molasses or kayro syrup, some vanilla and lots of booze.

Taste is just fantastic. Creamy sweet caramel syrup vanilla notes, some bitterness and a bit of alcohol burn. I think the bitterness I am detecting could be some oxidation but I'm not refined in tasting this old of a beer.

Mouth is just fantastic. Smooth and creamy, carbonation is right on. The finish is very long and wet but not super mouth coating witch is nice.

Overall I must first thank t0rin0 for this bottle. He answered an ISO and wanted nothing in return. I did, of course, send him a box but he wanted nothing. To the beer... For this being as old as it is it drank fantastic!! Much more like a Barleywine than a DIPA but that is to be expected. I am glad I chose to celebrate IPA day 2012 with this!! Grab one if you can.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

pop, bottle 5 of 10 for geeky collectors who care.

pour, wow, what beautiful cascading bubbles. the brew settles picturesque into my demon's hopyard tulip. a distinct leathery brown-orange color is dominant, although variations on autumn exist throughout the cloudy body. the hilly silk foam that rests atop this beer is pure cream with a fleck of open air pocket here and there.

smells like i just carved up a fresh pineapple inside my beer glass. then i took an orange wedge and squeezed that over top of the pineapple chunks. perhaps even sliced a banana into the mix, and blended it like a smoothie. this beer is pure tropical fruit bliss to smell.. i am in awe of the aromas hovering directly over the beer in question. if there was a stone 10th anniversary car air freshener, i would buy a lifetime supply.

the beer itself is appropriately thick and stings of bitterness, but i think that is to be expected. initial flavors border on piney but lean more towards the tooth-grinding bitterness of citrus rind. something floral escapes into the nasal cavity and distracts from the alcohol and hop barrage. a crisp (dry?) bitterness follows that engulfs the tongue, serving to further cover up the alcohol notes. the way this beer works is perfect.. i can feel the vicks-like inhalations of abv, but it doesn't interfere with the flavor. i am left after each sip with a refreshed palate, but a thin layer of hop scum all over my mouth. i find myself drinking this faster than i should with a ten-percenter.. warmth brings out many more hop nuances, which define this beer succinctly. the malt profile is not overly sweet and plays a nice primer to the green bud housepaint. further warmth gets a woody, almost cedary note to emerge. the complexities here are making my head spin. this easily puts both ruination and ipa to shame in both flavor and aroma.

not a session beer by any means, but not in the league of hoppy barleywines either. stone has made a beefy burger to celebrate the big 1-0, and done it in style. nothing goofy, nothing off-kilter, just a kick-ass trip-p-a. go stone.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Enjoyed from my Arrogant Bastard glass. Clear orange/amber colour with a long-lasting beige head. The foam was composed of bubbles of mixed sizes, though the smaller ones tended to cling in solid sheets to the glass as I sipped. Pine resin hit my nose just after I cracked the bottle and was still strong after the pour, but by this time other aromas were present. Grapefruit became an equal to the pine and chalky, floral hops became more apparent. The only hint of malt came in the form of a sweet orange aroma. A solid malt backbone forms a good flavour base with a bitterness that's nicely balanced. There's a bit of caramel and toasted malt in there that really plays well with the hopping. Notes of hops fade in and out, particularly oranges, grapefruit, and pine. Alcohol is quite warm at the finish and slightly stunned my tongue on the first sip - it's quite pleasant after that. Full bodied with middling carbonation, just on the edge of syrupy. Now that's a big IPA. The aroma is absolutely spectacular. And the malt flavour and alcohol combination was reminiscent of some finer American barleywines while still letting the hops shine. Definitely worthy of Stone's 10th Anniversary.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle courtesy of dave12285 poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense tan head that lingers for q while leaving some delicate lacing. Honestly, it looks a lot like an American barleywine...

S: ...and it smells a lot like a barleywine as well. There is an initial citrus hop aroma, but definitely subdued. The smell is dominated by the caramel malts with butterscotch and brown sugar as well.

T: The taste is much like the smell. I never had it fresh, but I imagine there was a huge hop kick in this at some point. Now it's almost all malts with a touch of citrus up front and some earthy hop bitterness in the finish. Lots of sugary sweetness and some dark fruits as well.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, but it is very smooth and sticks to the mouth throughout.

D: This beer has aged very well in my opinion though it's certainly more of a barleywine than an IIPA at this point. Regardless of category, this is a great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours clear copper with reddish hues, beige, tight head of a half inch height.
The foam dissapates quickly to reveal a skim coat on the surface of small to medium orbs of carbonation.
Nose is pungent and floral.
Very tropical in nature with mossy pine notes in the back.
Pears, peaches, nectarines, pineapple, and spruce sap.
Malt is subdued and aromatics finish with warming alcohols and more fruit.
Body is on the thick side of medium- sticky, sappy, and slightly chewy.
Pallet is massively bitter and alcoholic.
Pineyness is in the forefront now, with the fruit backing it up.
Neither the pine nor fruit are a match for the alcohol sting that is ...10%? Drinks bigger.
Malt is light enough to put the 10th anniversary spot on in the IIPA category, and pulls off some crispness despite the massive grain bill.

A huge, unapolagetic, hop and alcohol attack to the senses.
Big karma goes out a fellow BFD'er in San Marcos.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Acquired via trade from IntriqKen, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a medium-sized, foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a nice blend of strong hops, sweet citrus and caramelized malt.

T: Sweet flavors of citrus and caramel start off, and then the hops bitterness quickly comes out, followed by a mild rush of alcohol warmth. It’s a little sweeter and not as hoppy as I expected, but it’s very well-balanced. It tastes very similar to but a little bit better than the 9th Anniversary Ale from what I remember of it. Wish I had saved a bottle of that one to compare.

M: Super smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy, not very filling, good representation of the style, but the high ABV makes this one an excellent sipper. This is yet another great beer from Stone.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

hazed coppery orange with a good sized tan head that stciks around for a while.
heavy booze component in the nose. beneath that there is a heavy very "green" oily grapfruit hop aroma with piney resinous qualities. a bit too much of an alcohol smell for me though.
a total hop bomb in the mouth with tons of puckering bitterness. the oily hops dominate with strong pine, grapefruit and some more faint pineapple flavors. some caramel is in there too, but crushed by the hops. alcohol is pervasive, but not quite as overwhelming as in the nose. absolutely titanic hop flavor in here, goddamn thats good.
clean full-ish medium body with moderate to strong carbonation. my mouth is left tingling form the alcohol.
very good drinkability. for such boozy hop bomb, the really excellent flavor, lends to this. pick it up for sure if you see this, this is how west coast IPAs are done.

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House Innsbrook for Beer Geek Week '07

A: Pours a deep, opaque amber hue, glowing orange, roughly 1 finger of head that showed decent retention and lacing.

S: Sweet maltiness with notes of grapefruit citrus; has a mellow, candy-like orange scent to it.

T: Hop complexity that's second to none. A malty base provides a smooth intro for a big dose of bitterness. Floral and citrusy hops wash over the palate and flood the mouth with one the better hop profiles I have yet to taste. Immaculate.

M: Big, creamy, and mealy... a bit of syrupy hop residue with a fluffy, full mouthfeel.

D: Outstanding brew, and it's evident why this was only brewed once. I originally enjoyed the last bottle available to the public at Capital Ale House downtown with nickss and roughsax; part of one of our original BA gatherings. This time around, after a year had gone by, this thing had changed a bit, but was still just as great.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This Double IPA poured a dark copper orange. The head was scarce. What little bubbles it did have were tiny and dense. It did leave some scattered lacing, but that didn't stay long either.

Th smell had up front notes of canned pineapple. Sweet tropical fruits as well piney and citrus hop aromas. A hint of alcohol could be detected as well.

This beer hits you upfront with hops. Flavors ranging from grapefruit and orange to resiny pine. No doubt there's some simcoe in there, as well as other hp varieties. The fruit flavors detected in the smell were present in the taste as well. It reminded me of a good Chardonnay with it's layered tropical fruits and citrus flavors in the finish. Also a nice dose of toasty malt. Just sweet enough to balance the hops, but not overwhelming. there is definitely some alcohol lurking in the background. You feel it when you exhale.

The mouthfeel is big and expansive. Slightly biting carbonation. For the size of the beer it's also very drinkable. the hop taste is big, but not numbing to the palate. And the malt is sweet, but just sweet enough.

Overall one of the best Double IPA's I've had yet. I felt it struck a better balance between the hops and the malt than other examples in it's class. Much more balanced than Ruination. An excellent effort for an anniversary brew.

22 ounce bottle from Naja's Place

Poured into a chilled pint glass with a 1/2 inch head

Amazing double IPA with some fruit accents and a strong bitter taste

Hopefully the 11th Anniversary will be as good because I have been hearing a lot of good things about it as well

Highly recommended if you can still find this one floating around somewhere

4.57/5  rDev +7%

A beer that I have sampled often. The pour is an off orange color with good copper hues throughout. A mostly hazy view but with a good pour it leaves a large head that remained through the whole tasting. A sticky foam as well that has good staying power.

The nose is nice and hoppy. The aroma has a nice mix of distinct pine and distinct citrus. There are other hop essences that support the specific nose, such as a floral and herbal notes and some nectarine and tangerine esters. The malt has a smaller presence but some bready and biscuit notes with not much caramel qualities.

The taste is similar with a stronger hop presence as a good IPA should have. The hops are balanced well with a nice citrus, somewhat lemony and peppery bitterness. Definitely fruity complexity that continues into the finishing hops with more of the grapefruit, tangerine and lime mix. As my palate get more familiar more mango and pine comes out, especially in the finishing hops. The malt has a slight caramel hint, but the biscuit/bready flavor comes out more. Some light honey hints as well.

The body is closer to full then mid feel to it. Good carbonation that seems high but supports the bitterness for the hops. A very nice complexity with some detectable alcohol esters and some creaminess that becomes more apparent as you go. I really enjoy that they beer does changes as you drink it and add more complexity. Enjoy.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's Labor Day weekend for $4.99.

Beer poured an orange-amber color with a nice white head that is leaving a good lacing behind. Nose is heavily tinged with grapefruit floral hops and is also bready. Taste is very well balanced for the style. Initially the palate is hit with the malts and finishes with a counterpunch of citrusy hops which actually does not overwhelm the palate. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lively on the palate. Drinkability improves as I go. Initially the alcohol was extremely warming but since has mellowed. This is an awesome beer that I would recommend to fans of the Double IPA style.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Found this at The Keg in Clarksville, Indiana, last week. Haven't seen it in Evansville, yet. Beautiful bottle. The Stone Gargoyle has never looked better. Pouring into a large pint glass the body is a radiant orange amber. Excellent clarity, with a two finger ecru head that stays around for several minutes. Lacing is lavish and quite attractive.

Aroma is initially very hoppy, with lots of citrus. Pink grapefruit, orange, and lime zest are complimented by a solid spruce pine note. Bready malt is also noted, and reminds me of DFH 120 Minute. A hint of red apple is sensed in the background, seemingly from the malt.

Mouthfeel is a full medium. Carbonation is ideal for melding the big malts and hops here.

Lovely taste boasts big and juicy citrusy hops. Orange, tangerine, and pink grapefruit add an ideal bittersweet character. Malt character is very intriguing. Reminds me of the rounded breadiness of some of the DFH 90 or 120 Minute IPAs. Works better here. More complex than Stone Ruination or IPA. Uniquely Stone, this is a really fine DIPA. Happy Birthday Stone!

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.