Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours medium to dark amber, clear and bubbly with a cream-colored bubbly head. Nice caramel and floral aroma with a hint of roasted malt.

Flavor - One of my all-time favorites. Malty start with a nutty, sweet middle, and light bitter (for the style) finish. Very nicely balanced between hops and malt.

Slightly syruppy mouthfeel. "I could drink gallons." (360 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer. (314 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

2-fingers of eggshell cream cap a clear, medium umber. Cloudiness developed upon subsequent pours form the bottle.

Aroma is of juicy mandarin oranges, candied grapefruit rinds, some pineapple and macerated pine needles - all swirling about in a heady, virulent harmony.

Everything detected in the nose is robustly confirmed in the flavor but with a sweet, crushing wall of toffee-caramel malt which brings things into surprising balance. Fireweed honey, a subtle nuttiness, and a suggestion of rose-hip tea appear before the stinging heat of brash alcohol asserts itself. Whoa.

Smooth, fine bubbles jettison a rich, oily body, which is squarely in Barleywine territory as far as mouthfeel goes, but the strong alcohol dries out the finish and begs another sensory-overloading sip. This is like drinking a fine, hop-malt spirit and oh-so-enjoyable throughout. One of my favorite beers ever, and I believe I need to go grab another case. While I love the fresh-hop character, I’m quite curious to see where some age takes this beer. (1,035 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Very cool bottle design. This bottle had the story of Karen Westfall (#9 of 10). The label is much more simple than most of the other Stone offerings. It is pretty cool to read up on an employee on an anniversary bottle. This 10% beauty pours an orange/copper color, with a thick rocky off-white head. Very good head retention for a beer of this size. Raw piney hops combine with citrusy hop aroma, particularly orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Candy coated caramel malt, with a lot of sweetness goes to battle against the hop army in this one. Piney, citrusy, sticky sappy hop flavor, goes perfect with this sweet malt. Medium body, with just enough carbonation to carry. Nice patches of sticky lace cling to the glass at the end. The alcohol is not very noticable, however there is some warming at the end. This is a tremendous beer. Happy Anniversary Stone! Another great example of American Craft Beer at its best! I must have more! (937 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a beautiful deep copper color with a modest head that dissipates slowly.

Great piney hop aroma.

Taste is superb, very well balanced for such a hoppy brew. The finish, however, brings the full asault of the hops.

Mouthfeel is quite good, very smooth and enjoyable.

Drinkability is good for the ABV. Has to be if I'm going to get through this 3 L. bottle. (371 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

This brew was a clear amber, with a one finger head that died away to a thin film that left good lacing around the glass.

The aroma was strong mingled pine and citrus. This was a hop bomb. No malt to speak of. Lots of resinous quality.

Taste was of strong pine and hop resins, with a strong malt backbone. This was nice and warm going down. One really REALLy good brew.

Mouthfeel was a little oily, pretty chewy. Had a bite going down.

Drinkability was deceptively good... I could do two bombers of this stuff, and at 10%, that would knock me on my ass. (565 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a clear, orange copper with a medium, near-white head. Excellent retention, with thick lacings.

A sweet, citrusy malt character is overcome by an explosion of tantalizing hops. I fully expect to see a sprig of pine swimming in my glass, but alas it's just delicious smelling beer. This is a hophead's cologne.

After smelling this divine nectar, I was almost hesitant to take a sip. Too many times have I been drawn in by a glorious aroma, only to be under whelmed by the taste. This is not one of those times. There is a flavor of sweet fruit up front that quickly and sharply mixes with a dry, citrus character and a divine euphoria of hops. I can nearly sense the pine needles traversing my palate. The high alcohol percentage is very noticeable in the warming and in the dry aftertaste.

This has an excellent mouthfeel, as it is less viscous than other potent double IPA's. A slight syrupy consistency blends perfectly with the carbonation. This could easily be the most drinkable double IPA that I've ever had.

I love Stone. I love hops. I love IPA's. I often feel that double IPA's lose something in their pursuit for the most over-the-top beer. For me, this is the benchmark for the style. Smooth, hoppy, delicious and dangerously drinkable at ten percent. (1,283 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up a few of these when they came out and have but one left.

Appearance: Poured a darker amber color - very appealing.

Smell: The smell was immediately there and was very inviting. Hops and a strong citrus smell are very apparent.

Taste: Flavor is excellent with the hoppy and citrus really grabbing you. Well done though - you feel like you're getting everything out of this beer without getting overwhelmed or lost.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and agreeable.

Drinkability: For such a strong beer (10%) it drinks very well and you don't feel overwhelmed by it. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had. (625 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Amber color with a thick white head. Smells incredible with notes of pineapple, mango, pine, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is similarly complex, starting with a very obvious pineapple taste, that fades into bready malts, caramel, and piny, hop bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden with only some warming in the throat. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Very drinkable for such a big beer. This is definitely Stone's best creation, and one my favorites in general. (510 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Although I'm not a high end beer rater with the ability to break down a beer to color, apperance, lacing...yada, yada, yada...I do however have the the ability to know what I like...and this is a beer that I could like forever...

This beer falls in the top ten of all the beers I've ever had...

If you like hops....then search no further....Stone has cornered the market!!!! (380 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

Sweet jesus; I love my IPAs and I love Stone, but this even threw me. It poured a wonderful dark amber color with an off-white head and excellent lacing.
The nose is obviously dominated by hops, but had a lot more going on; sweet fruits and citrus, mild vanilla and very mild malts.
Sweet fruits and creamy vanilla are all but masked by a heavy assauly of bitter and piney hops.
There is a lot going on in this beer and I can't even begin to describe it all. I do have to admit I agree with some of the other reviewers that there was a lot more sweetness than I anticipated, but I find more often than not breweries like to really stick it to you with WAY too much hop bitterness, which makes for a bad experience. I think this was balaned almost perfectly, both in taste and feel, which started bitter and very sweet, then faded into an almost syrpy dryness if thats possible. Very clean and enjoyable, another fantastic beer from Stone. (943 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12%

S - 22 oz. bomber, bottle # 2 of 10. Thanks to IntriqKen for this freakin' beautiful offering.

A - Deep clear copper, off white head rises to about 1 1/2 inches then down to a sheath on the top of the beer. Inviting is the word.

S - A combo of fruity, floral, and maltiness. Fresh peach and plum, malt is awesome, perfectly balanced. Caramel makes itself known as it warms up. WOW.

T - Sweet maltiness that is perfectly balanced with the huge hop hit and fruity character. Warmth makes me want to curl up into a ball and take a cat-nap. This brew takes the cake.

M - Carbonation and weight on the palate go hand in hand skipping down my throat. Balance to a T.

D - Sweet mother of jesus, give me another! (719 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Crystal clear red-orange body, topped by a highly whipped four fingers of milk shake like froth. Excellent lacing.

A haymaker of pine punches the nose, and as the head spins it notes the grapefruit and orange groves on the outskirts of the pine forest.

Thick chewy caramely malt hits the tongue like the troops at Normandy, but its quickly engulfed by luscious juicy pulpy oranges, and then a pine tree falls on you. It all big and bold, except the alcohol, which adds shading but never takes the spotlight.

Solid, well-crafted mouthfeel has some viscosity to it. Drinkability is delightful and perhaps dangerous.

An outstanding example of an Imperial/double IPA. If you like IPAs at all, and haven't tried this, run to your nearest store. (751 characters)

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS! (1,589 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner. (642 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

The hounds seem to know when this yearly release will be good. The last two years, I could have bought cases and cases of the stuff. This year, I had to go far out of my way to obtain one bottle of the nectar. As it usually goes, the quicker it disappears the better it is. And this year is phenomenal.

Out of the precious bottle comes a slow-glugging liquid and head production, owning to its high-gravity. Streamy ruby-copper. Not so pale, but a great ghastly cling arises.

Nose is cheery and overflowing with hops; peachy, gummy, hop-candy. Like the best IPAs, this one seems to be the aroma personification of an actual hop-plant.

Taste is a mouth-numbing flash of goo-sugar (par for the Stone big-IPA course) heat, and tangy-citrus. Liquified hop-perfume.

Lingering bitterness clashes with the close-to-barleywine goo-slick. One bomber disappears quickly and administers proper brain-damage. I bet I would have bought many bottles of this had I been able to. As it stands, a great hat-tip for a great 10 years. (1,029 characters)

NEW NOTES FROM TASTING THANKSGIVING 2009:
Tasted again Thanksgiving 2009-same as prior notes but with much richer, bolder and more integrated flavors.

Big pineapple nose;

big rich flavors-bourbon/whiskey flavors but super well balanced and drinking incredibly.

Currently drinking so well (and having been properly stored) I would call it one of the best all around beers I've ever consumed at this point in time. It currently has the flavor profiles of the "cask version" tapped at Stone during it's WinterStorm but with more carbonation.

This beer is currently wonderful. Please, if you have one try it now. This is exactly what one strives for and desires when aging a beer. Just my opinion.

ORIGINAL NOTES FROM 6/25/09:
Bottle - Dark orange honey color with a nice white head.

Mildly sweet orange nose with underlying malt and a hint of banana.

Bold rich and creamy mouth feel with a front palate flavor of sweet fruit, carmel and malt and a finish of grapefruit hops and light burnt toast. Some creamy coffee flavors throughout.

Complex and layered flavors. Interesting example of the bottle being better than the tap. (1,138 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11%

I thought I'd write another review of this beer 8 months after having this for the first time. Poured into an oversized wine glass. I acquired this bottle from a trade with mookow some 6 months ago and some 8 months after it first hit the shelves. This excellent beer pours a clear, deep reddish medium golden color with an orange hue lots and of little bubbles rising up. The head was a good 2/3 inch when poured before settling to a nice surface film layer and a nice white ring lining the inside of my glass along with some damn fine lacing. Even after aging in my cellar for 6 months this baby is still dominated by hops aroma wise. Sweeter aromas of malt and some floral, fruity aromas of grapefruit are also present. Although this beer is not quite the bitter hop monster it was tastewise when I first had it 8 months ago the taste is also still dominated by hops upfront followed by surprisingly sweet malt and a hint of sour grapefruit. Extremely well balanced tastewise. Has a fairly crisp, but also smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied mouthfeel as well with moderate to high carbonation. I found the mouthfeel to also be sort of chewy or syrupy, but in a good way. This beer sure mellowed with age, but is also certainly more drinkable now. In fact it is surprisingly drinkable. The 10% ABV is well hidden taste and drinkability wise, but you really start to feel it after a few sips. Definitely not a session beer. Not that I have any more of this anyways. This was sadly my second and, at least for now, last bottle. I sure hope I can get more and that Stone decides to brew this on a regular basis, even if is just as one of their yearly seasonals or even becomes a rotating release. This beer does the winning like few others! WOW! Anyone who has any extra bottles of this they don't want or want to trade for please beermail me ASAP!

Eric (1,861 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11%

One of the best looking pours I've witnessed in awhile. Brings a tear to my eye. Clean bright ruby/amber red with an awesome fluffy thick cloud of a head that is an off white/yellow/brown in color. Damn good looker.

One complex nose this beer posseses. Piney sweet hop and malt, hints of toffee, hints of fig, freshly picked flowers, dried golden raisins as well.

For how complex the nose is the taste has it beat. Not just complex but almost perfect balance as well. The toffee thick malt lends itself wonderfully to the layered hop flavors. Starts with a piney resiny hop than hits the middle with a sweet floral accent, and ends on the 50 second finish with a twist of citrusy fruit goodness. And in between is dried fruits and even some nutty characteristics that leave an oily palate enamoring sensation.

Rich, creamy, smooth, medium carbonated mouthfeel all equals a beer I'd be more than happy to drink on all day and night and well into the next day. (968 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a deep orange hint of maroon. Leaves a thin tan head that disappears quickly. The aroma is fantastic, hoppy, citrusy, slight alcohol presence.
The hops in this brew dominate as this is a big IPA. The alcohol in this brew is pretty subtle but by the end of the bomber, I felt its presence clearly.
The finish is smooth and grapefruity. Malt presence is evident, but not overly strong.
Great beer, can't buy enough… (424 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This offering from Stone pours a deep orange maybe some hint of maroon very nice shading. It left a thin tan head that disappeared quickly but was remedied by a couple swirls in my Rapscallion snifter. The aroma is fantastic, pineapple, passion fruit, honey, hoppy citrus notes, slight alcohal presence, this is a very complex nose so much going on I don't think I can describe everything.

As I took the first sip there is a sweetness upfront of caramel and fruit, the hops in this brew actually don't dominate as much as I expected in a IIPA but don't get me wrong they are very much present. The alcohal in this brew is very suttle and by the end of this 22oz bottle I began to feel its presence. The finish is smooth a small grapefruit bitterness but because of that dominate malt presence not very stong. Overall this is a fantastic brew the aroma is phenomenal and well worth the price at $5.95/22oz bottle. (916 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

04-29-08 UPDATE. I had saved a bottle of this along with my Stone Vertical Epic collection, just for fun to see how it did. 18 months after my first review, I decided it was time to have it. I waited too long. A murky, muddy beer that still had a hoppy profile, but had lost all of its original beauty and loveliness. I didn't change the scores, just a note to say this one proves that it's best to drink fresh sometimes. No longer any of the things listed below; it had gone south some time ago.

08-25-06 ORIGINAL REVIEW.

Just found 22 oz bottles of this printed/painted bomber at LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $4.99, a pretty good price for Stone specialty brews (and they have cases of this right now). Picked up the 16 oz pint glass (1996-2006, 10 Years of Brewing Strong) for $2.99 for the occasion. Opened it almost as soon as I got home (got one from the store's refrigerated case).

OK, to hell with my normal reviewing style. I LOVE THIS BEER!

I can't say how it fares compared to my current favorite DIPA (Pliny the Elder), but it's in the same neighborhood, and that is one gorgeous, exclusive neighborhood. Beautifully carbonated dark malty wonder that just oozes aromas of tangerines, grapefruit (both sweet and sour citrus), grass, juniper, crushed pine needles, and just plain lovely lovely hops. As the beer hits the mouth, rich full mix of roasted malts and huge hops are amazing. And as the glass empties, the aroma stays around. So many beers lose aroma as they empty, this one just keeps coming.

My only real complaint is that the alcohol profile (burn) is a little strong, and the ABV is too high for me to drink this as fast as I want.

I don't love every Stone beer, and I say so when one doesn't grab me, but wow, this one is a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 12th to come back from 3 runs down. Cheers to the Stone team, and thank you for this beer. (1,878 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Very nice ruby amber beer. Pours a rocky, bubbly 2 finger head. Nice lacing all the way down.

This beer smells balanced. Strong citrus and pine from the hops and very fruity sweet smelling hops. Grapefruit, caramel, peach, and just a little alcohol smell.

Taste is just he same. Too many flavors to describe. Has a huge malt backbone that makes the hops seem subtle in the big picture. I'm sure the IBUs on this are pretty high despite this. Caramel, orange, and grapefruit. Slight alcohol especially as it warms.

Very oily. Sugary and syrupy almost like drinking a flat soda. Carbonation breaks up the oil well, but it could probably use just a touch more.

I could easily drink two bomber of this beer in a sitting, but the ABV keeps the drinkability a little lower. I have to be careful with this beer. (859 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz bomber with a great silkscreen (#7 of 10) pours out a glowing orange with a chill haze. Thick, creamy head that sticks around well for something with so high an ABV.

Smells....glorious!!! Sweet pineapple is the dominant aroma, along with pine, orange, brown sugar, and all that pleases the senses. This is my idea of aromatherapy.

More of the same in taste...this quite a pleasurable experience for the palate. Lovely hop resins contribute pine, citrus, and spruce notes. Lots of fruity flavors here...again pineapple is forefront, but I also detect papaya, mango, orange, grapefruit, apple, and a very sweet and sturdy malt backbone. Wow! What a beer. Alcohol warming is evident, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is meduim to heavy, with quite of bit of (wonderful) hop resin aftertaste. Quite a bit of carbonation, and amazing head retention. I'm more than halfway through my beer and that head just won't quit. As for drinkability...it's amazing for such a big beer....or any beer, really.

Great beer...much sweeter than I expected. Not quite a barleywine, but not even close to as harsh as most DIPA's. Amazing fruit flavors. Worth seeking out. A must try if you can still find it. (1,202 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a 2" head that last quite a while. Some light lacing develops during the session.

Smell: Oh baby. Tons of pine bitterness, grapefruit, and a hint of alcohol. Makes you want to sip it immediately.

Taste: big malty caramel backbone balanced with loads of sharp and dry bitterness, grapefruits, green grapes, and honey. The alcohol is clearly evident and provides a warming feeling with each sip. Big and bold flavors here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smoother towards the finish. Super long aftertaste as the bitterness stick to the tongue. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: the noticable alcohol warns you to not over indulge in this great beer. But then again, you should enjoy the few bottles you probably got your hands on over different evenings. (819 characters)

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.