Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
3.3/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a big head that falls and doesn't go away completely, but leaves a great lacing. The color is a nice brown color. The smell is light in hops, but they are very nice for what they are. The flavor is very hoppy, to the point where the hops turn into an earthy flavor. The mouthfeel is ok, a little over carbonated, but ok. Overall it was ok, but there was just something a little off about this, something small, maybe the way it was handled. It smelled pretty good, but just a little off.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazy murky brown with a very small light brown head, no lacing but. Not flat. Nose is oxidized, boozy, almost like bourbon but there's none, odd...

Taste is still quite bitter, earthy and chewy, booze is still strong given the age. Mouthfeel is crisp and quite sweet. Overall pretty acceptable.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

Now listening to: Gits - Here Is To Your F**k

Age note: It seems that with the release of the new 12th anniversary that some of the older anniversary beers are slipping out from distributors, as well. I had this back when it was originally released, but this specific bottle is 2 years old.

A- Amber color with a 1 finger beige head that quickly sinks to a thin disc of a head.

S- Not much smell at all to this. Malt...yes, hops...yes, but I have a feeling that this may have been a snout full when originally released.

T- I have to say that this is very reminiscent of the Greenflash Imperial IPA up front. Lots of malt and hops battling it out and switching around. But with thsi beer, that intensity fades quickly.

M- As the flavor fades, the hops start to really bite the back of my throat and actually caused excess saliva (OK, I know...gross, but that is what the mouthfeel was)

D- Even as my only beer of the night, I couldn't finish a 22.

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Clear body was a true amber color. The off-white head dissolved quickly leaving a collar and a little island of foam.

Smell was sweet citrus, marmalade. Jolly Ranchers candy. Fall leaves (dry, organic matter).

Taste was spicy, resinous. Intense hops bitterness, flavor not just bleaching. Summit hops flavors. Alcohol presence. This was a good beer but it did not live up to the hype.

Mouthfeel was firey in the throat and prickly on the tongue. Syrupy thick with minimal carbonation. I'm glad I tried this one but I won't seek another bottle.

Nice looking brew, dark/burnt orange , slightly hazy with a lovelly thicj creamy off white head ( eggshell). Nice bitter hoppy, citric aroma, still quite fresh, so good so far. But the taste, I will have to go against the grain, its way too sweet. Yes there is a great amount of hoppiness swirling about the mouth but underlying sweetness sort of messes this up for me, it sticks to my tongue and becomes cloying, putting me off the great hopping. To cloying on the palte, too sweet. Man i really feel bad about going against the grain on this..i love most everything Stone does, but even for a Scot who likes sweet beer this was too much

look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bomber, commemorative label #5 of 10, but no dating that I can tell. Lots of entertaining chit-chat.

Appearance is deep slightly hazy orange, with a big, creamy, open head that leaves massive lacing.

Aroma is intensely fruity, with some spicy grassy hop behind it. But mostly fruity. As it warms up, some sand-like notes come out.

Taste is intensely fruity, massively hoppy, creamy hoppy, and starts with a fairly hot, intense alcohol, and distinct solvent notes. Good, but interesting, and not entirely in a good way.

As it warms to room temp, it starts to taste of bubblegum, and have coarse, unpleasant resin notes. Solvent and hot alcohol also distinct. (Note: it's not a good sign when a DIPA gets to room temp for me, or for Ms. Warmstorage... it started out at low cellar, 47*F according to the beer fridge thermometer.)

Finishes with some sort of sand-like earthiness, something which I see from my last review I got in the aroma last time around. Okay, as it warms, sand int he aroma, too. The bottle had a little crud around the underside of the cap, around the crown-top. Not sure what this is about.

It seems like the last several bottles of this I've had have all been different (even though all three have been from the same store, purchased at the same time, treated exactly the same way.) I can't account for this, and it's definitely a little odd.

Overall, it's a drinkable beer, but I'm glad I decided to pop something special tonight: this beer isn't aging well at all. I'm sad to say it, but it's becoming something of a disappointment. The drinkability is above average, but has some serious flaws.

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Commemorative bottle #9 of 10. Karen Westfall, Team Stone since April 2000. Karen's life story is on the bottle but I will not divulge such information.

Poured from a stenciled 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Muddy sort of orange brown in color with a nice sized head of little retention.

Aroma is sweet and bready and not as hoppy as I hoped. Doesnt quite seem up to Stones standards (compared to Ruination, of course). Not bad but smells more Amber aleish to me and sweet. Not what I am in the mood for.

More sweetness in the flavor and not enough hoppiness. Needs more hops to even be an IPA.

This beer seems too sweet to me. Almost cloying. Drinkability is not high due to the sweetness and strength of the beer. Not bad but I wouldnt actively seek this beer out again. Received in a trade (from mcallister maybe?) and so I am thankful.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Thanks to t0rin0 for an interesting extra. I didn't think I'd have a chance to try this, past its prime or not.

Technically it's a no-no to review a beer that is known to be bad, and a (to say it politely) "well-aged" DIPA is almost certainly that. But on the off chance that people use these reviews to track how a bottle is doing NOW, might as well submit a current status.

A: Pours a murky, dark amber body with a half-finger of cream-colored head in my Chimay glass. The bubbles retain decently, receding in clumps and forming a pangaea of foam that is circled by a thin donut around the edge and a few register marks during the first sips.

S: Caramel, toffee, burnt sugar, rum, and a small presence of spicy pine hops. Interesting. I can tell this isn't going to be an amazing barleywine, but it's not entirely lacking in presence.

T: Still surprisingly bitter! Mostly in the aftertaste, which has a residual pine flavor, but there is an undercurrent of it through the main taste that prevents the otherwise malty profile from going nuts. The malt elements picked up in the smell are quite strong, along with green apple that I didn't pick up in the smell. But they're also lessened by a spicy cinnamon-like flavor that provides quite nice balance.

M: Medium-thick body, mild carbonation: overall smooth sensation. Slight dryness in the finish. Lingering pine bitterness, but nothing too strong.

D: Wow, for a 3-year-old DIPA this is outstanding. I can only imagine how good it was fresh.

2.83/5  rDev -33.9%

Bottle courtesy of DrJay on BA. Pours a rich amber color with a big offwhite head and some light lacing. Smell is malty with caramel like sweetness along with some sweet citrus. Little to no hop prensence left. Taste is caramel, alcohol, and candied orange peels. Somewhat surprised that the hops have basically entirely faded and that the alcohol is still this present. Decent, but not what it was intended to be any longer, I'm guessing.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

WOW! After elbowing through all the surging hordes of people trying to get this beer, I finally found the opportunity to sit down and try it only to find out that it is quite over-rated. Too much alcohol dominates the flavor, and this gives the assertive hoppiness a hot, wild, weedy flavor. I am a fan of the Ruination, and this ought to have been Ruination Plus, but the clumsy balance of alcohol to beer flavor rendered it unenjoyable to me. Sorry folks. I'm not hatin' on it though. Nope. Relax.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

2.7/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

08/22/12 On tap. Part of a Stone's flight. I was looking to re-appraise my appreciation (or lack thereof) for Stone's stuff. This was a bitter lightweight compared to the 16th Anniversary. Unfortunately all the hop jiggery-pokery went to waste on this un-hoppy guy. Better than most, but not enough for me to change horses.

2.63/5  rDev -38.6%

Slightly hazed orange-copper. Thin and creamy off white head. Lacing is adequate. Aroma is comprised of alcohol, caramel malt and tropical fruits. Alcohol is the easiest to pick out. Taste starts out boozy and ends boozy. The Green Flash IPA I had before this was much more enjoyable. Hop traits in this are ghostly. I get a tropical fruit melange of sorts. But the alcohol overrides it all. Fussel-like in nature. To me this is what Arrogant Bastard would taste like if it were 15-20% a/v.

Hands down, my least favorite of their Anniversary beers. And not even in the same ballpark as their 5th Anniversary IPA.

2.55/5  rDev -40.4%

Appearance:

Another great extra from my buddy Greg, although I'm afraid this might be way past its prime. I popped the cap and was not surprised to only hear a slight hiss. I poured into my DFH snifter straight on and was left with a very thin and spotty tan colored head. When I hold it up to the light it appears muddy and murky like old pond water. Deep copper brown with some yeast chunks lingering around, with no light passing through. Viscosity is fairly thick for its age.

Smell:

Right off the start loads of caramel, brown sugar, some wet cardboard, papery aroma. Faded muted hops, earthy undertones with some slight garlic and onion notes.

Taste:

Pretty thin, muddy, onions, brown sugar, some raisins with no real hop presence. Like a weak poorly made barleywine. Honey, slightly sugary quickly tangy finish. As I predicted was past its time but still fun to try and see the aging on this.

2.4/5  rDev -43.9%

Aroma - Thick caramel malts, light citrus fruits, sherry and oxidized hops. Slight alcohol detected. Misses the marks for a double IPA, closer to a barley wine.

Appearance - Medium copper color, thin yet long lasting halo of a white head. Slight haze.

Flavor - Strong, sweet malts dominate and a slight alcohol note are the front runners. Alcohol bite is still strong even months after release. Moderate hop bitterness and catty resinous hop flavor. Balance is way off on the caramel, sweet and malty side ... the hops used here aren't all that pleasant.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, sticky and cloying on the palate. Both the hops and the malts are cloying. Its over the top and too much. Less crystal malts and a stronger attenuating yeast would really make this shine, perhaps a sugar addition would help to dry this thing out.

Overall impression - Too many big and deep malty flavors infused with an alcohol note that make this just way too much. With some age this will probably be better, but at that point it will be even less Imperial IPA like than it already is.

I'll stick with Stone IPA or Ruination if I'm looking for a well done IPA.

2.35/5  rDev -45.1%

Pours out a copper amber with a thin yet frothy head of bubbles of varying size that sticks throughout the pint. Leaves splotchy lacing. Smells very sugary sweet with a medicinal quality from the mix of sweet and alcohol. Lots of pine with milder citrus aromas. The malt smells overly toasted to me. Flavor is way too sweet, cloyingly so, and medicinal in the alcohol. Lots of pine resin hops and a finish of aspirin and cough medicine. Mouthfeel is thick, slick ,oily, and kind of flat. Not all that drinkable.

« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.