Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Sweet jesus; I love my IPAs and I love Stone, but this even threw me. It poured a wonderful dark amber color with an off-white head and excellent lacing.
The nose is obviously dominated by hops, but had a lot more going on; sweet fruits and citrus, mild vanilla and very mild malts.
Sweet fruits and creamy vanilla are all but masked by a heavy assauly of bitter and piney hops.
There is a lot going on in this beer and I can't even begin to describe it all. I do have to admit I agree with some of the other reviewers that there was a lot more sweetness than I anticipated, but I find more often than not breweries like to really stick it to you with WAY too much hop bitterness, which makes for a bad experience. I think this was balaned almost perfectly, both in taste and feel, which started bitter and very sweet, then faded into an almost syrpy dryness if thats possible. Very clean and enjoyable, another fantastic beer from Stone.

sinistrsam, Oct 20, 2006

NEW NOTES FROM TASTING THANKSGIVING 2009:
Tasted again Thanksgiving 2009-same as prior notes but with much richer, bolder and more integrated flavors.

Big pineapple nose;

big rich flavors-bourbon/whiskey flavors but super well balanced and drinking incredibly.

Currently drinking so well (and having been properly stored) I would call it one of the best all around beers I've ever consumed at this point in time. It currently has the flavor profiles of the "cask version" tapped at Stone during it's WinterStorm but with more carbonation.

This beer is currently wonderful. Please, if you have one try it now. This is exactly what one strives for and desires when aging a beer. Just my opinion.

ORIGINAL NOTES FROM 6/25/09:
Bottle - Dark orange honey color with a nice white head.

Mildly sweet orange nose with underlying malt and a hint of banana.

Bold rich and creamy mouth feel with a front palate flavor of sweet fruit, carmel and malt and a finish of grapefruit hops and light burnt toast. Some creamy coffee flavors throughout.

Complex and layered flavors. Interesting example of the bottle being better than the tap.

GRG1313, Jun 25, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

naven, Aug 24, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

The hounds seem to know when this yearly release will be good. The last two years, I could have bought cases and cases of the stuff. This year, I had to go far out of my way to obtain one bottle of the nectar. As it usually goes, the quicker it disappears the better it is. And this year is phenomenal.

Out of the precious bottle comes a slow-glugging liquid and head production, owning to its high-gravity. Streamy ruby-copper. Not so pale, but a great ghastly cling arises.

Nose is cheery and overflowing with hops; peachy, gummy, hop-candy. Like the best IPAs, this one seems to be the aroma personification of an actual hop-plant.

Taste is a mouth-numbing flash of goo-sugar (par for the Stone big-IPA course) heat, and tangy-citrus. Liquified hop-perfume.

Lingering bitterness clashes with the close-to-barleywine goo-slick. One bomber disappears quickly and administers proper brain-damage. I bet I would have bought many bottles of this had I been able to. As it stands, a great hat-tip for a great 10 years.

GreenWBush, Aug 20, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

I thought I'd write another review of this beer 8 months after having this for the first time. Poured into an oversized wine glass. I acquired this bottle from a trade with mookow some 6 months ago and some 8 months after it first hit the shelves. This excellent beer pours a clear, deep reddish medium golden color with an orange hue lots and of little bubbles rising up. The head was a good 2/3 inch when poured before settling to a nice surface film layer and a nice white ring lining the inside of my glass along with some damn fine lacing. Even after aging in my cellar for 6 months this baby is still dominated by hops aroma wise. Sweeter aromas of malt and some floral, fruity aromas of grapefruit are also present. Although this beer is not quite the bitter hop monster it was tastewise when I first had it 8 months ago the taste is also still dominated by hops upfront followed by surprisingly sweet malt and a hint of sour grapefruit. Extremely well balanced tastewise. Has a fairly crisp, but also smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied mouthfeel as well with moderate to high carbonation. I found the mouthfeel to also be sort of chewy or syrupy, but in a good way. This beer sure mellowed with age, but is also certainly more drinkable now. In fact it is surprisingly drinkable. The 10% ABV is well hidden taste and drinkability wise, but you really start to feel it after a few sips. Definitely not a session beer. Not that I have any more of this anyways. This was sadly my second and, at least for now, last bottle. I sure hope I can get more and that Stone decides to brew this on a regular basis, even if is just as one of their yearly seasonals or even becomes a rotating release. This beer does the winning like few others! WOW! Anyone who has any extra bottles of this they don't want or want to trade for please beermail me ASAP!

Eric

neenerzig, May 08, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Crystal clear red-orange body, topped by a highly whipped four fingers of milk shake like froth. Excellent lacing.

A haymaker of pine punches the nose, and as the head spins it notes the grapefruit and orange groves on the outskirts of the pine forest.

Thick chewy caramely malt hits the tongue like the troops at Normandy, but its quickly engulfed by luscious juicy pulpy oranges, and then a pine tree falls on you. It all big and bold, except the alcohol, which adds shading but never takes the spotlight.

Solid, well-crafted mouthfeel has some viscosity to it. Drinkability is delightful and perhaps dangerous.

An outstanding example of an Imperial/double IPA. If you like IPAs at all, and haven't tried this, run to your nearest store.

RonfromJersey, Nov 23, 2006

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

sirhc, Aug 23, 2006

mendvicdog, Jul 19, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

S - 22 oz. bomber, bottle # 2 of 10. Thanks to IntriqKen for this freakin' beautiful offering.

A - Deep clear copper, off white head rises to about 1 1/2 inches then down to a sheath on the top of the beer. Inviting is the word.

S - A combo of fruity, floral, and maltiness. Fresh peach and plum, malt is awesome, perfectly balanced. Caramel makes itself known as it warms up. WOW.

T - Sweet maltiness that is perfectly balanced with the huge hop hit and fruity character. Warmth makes me want to curl up into a ball and take a cat-nap. This brew takes the cake.

M - Carbonation and weight on the palate go hand in hand skipping down my throat. Balance to a T.

D - Sweet mother of jesus, give me another!

rsyberg01, Nov 02, 2006

brandoman63, Nov 20, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11%

This brew was served from the tap at Rattle N’ Hum in New York, NY. The brew arrived in a stemless chalice, glowing a golden red/brown. It held a one finger bubbly tan head of tight, tiny bubbles. This showed great retention, leaving thick sheets of lacing around the glass. Carbonation appeared lighter, and while there was a thick haze, no sediment was noted. The nose was sickly sweet with sugary hops. There was nectary syrup of peach and grapefruit flesh, sweet honey mustard, pale sweeter malts, and a musky, woody aged cheddar cheese with warmth. Our first impression was that this is just sensational. As we sipped, juicy, sweet grapefruit hops crash in, making the mouth water more with each sip. The malts were chalky, pale, drying, and puckering. The middle was sweet to the peak, with huge sweet grapefruit and floral hops. The malts deepened, became more caramel, and sweeter. The finish was of tart, candy sweetness, full nuttiness of cashews, and more of those rapturous hops. The aftertaste breathed of plastic phenols, hollow booze, of soft bittering aromatic hops, spicy hops, black pepper, and a final yeasty twang. The body was full, and the carbonation was soft. Each sip was silky smooth, with beautiful slurp, cream, and froth. The mouth was coated with that same velvety froth which eventually dried the palate a bit. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank fantastically.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the incredibly smooth flavoring. Our mouths were watering with luscious, juicy hops. The aromatics played into this, completing the package. Additionally, the feel was soft and coating, yet assertive and powerful. With too much warmth the booziness that is otherwise well hidden comes out in numbers, and can overwhelm the palate. Just keep it at that right temperature, just slightly below cellar temperature, and you’re in for the ride of your life.

TheBrewo, Aug 23, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

One of the best looking pours I've witnessed in awhile. Brings a tear to my eye. Clean bright ruby/amber red with an awesome fluffy thick cloud of a head that is an off white/yellow/brown in color. Damn good looker.

One complex nose this beer posseses. Piney sweet hop and malt, hints of toffee, hints of fig, freshly picked flowers, dried golden raisins as well.

For how complex the nose is the taste has it beat. Not just complex but almost perfect balance as well. The toffee thick malt lends itself wonderfully to the layered hop flavors. Starts with a piney resiny hop than hits the middle with a sweet floral accent, and ends on the 50 second finish with a twist of citrusy fruit goodness. And in between is dried fruits and even some nutty characteristics that leave an oily palate enamoring sensation.

Rich, creamy, smooth, medium carbonated mouthfeel all equals a beer I'd be more than happy to drink on all day and night and well into the next day.

mcallister, Oct 12, 2006

ferrari29, Aug 03, 2012

ColbySutherland, Sep 01, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Took me about 10 minutes to read the back of the damn bottle, but I'm glad I did... cheers back at ya Mr. Koch!

Poured into a chalice... brilliant deep hazy orange with a 1/2" bright white head which disipates rather quickly. Still, quite a nice looking brew.

WHEW! Smell that pine! I know of few aromas I love more than that of hops, and this one is full of it! Add to that the aromas of grapefruit and other citrus. Fantastic.

KABLAAM!... take that palate! This beer is an all out assault on the taste buds, and I love it. I'm trying hard to remember other DIPAs I like more than this one, and nothing immediately comes to mind. Certainly some in the same league (Great Divide's DIPA, Stone's own Ruination, DFH 90min) but none I would consider better. Tremendous flavours of sharp citrus and pine. Some barely perceptable maltiness comes in the middle, but is quickly beaten down by the huge hop profile. What a brew.

Wonderfully thick and creamy with subdued carbonation.... I actually thought this one would have a bit more carbonation from the appearance, but am pleasantly surprised... Stone lets the hops do the biting on this one, and I, for one, am glad they did.

Drinkable? Sure... especially for a 10% brew. I don't think I could handle more than one bomber in a night though.... too mighty for me.
I have great, great respect for this beer. Here's to another 10 fantastic years for the boys and girls at Stone.

PROST!

nickss, Nov 17, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

04-29-08 UPDATE. I had saved a bottle of this along with my Stone Vertical Epic collection, just for fun to see how it did. 18 months after my first review, I decided it was time to have it. I waited too long. A murky, muddy beer that still had a hoppy profile, but had lost all of its original beauty and loveliness. I didn't change the scores, just a note to say this one proves that it's best to drink fresh sometimes. No longer any of the things listed below; it had gone south some time ago.

08-25-06 ORIGINAL REVIEW.

Just found 22 oz bottles of this printed/painted bomber at LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $4.99, a pretty good price for Stone specialty brews (and they have cases of this right now). Picked up the 16 oz pint glass (1996-2006, 10 Years of Brewing Strong) for $2.99 for the occasion. Opened it almost as soon as I got home (got one from the store's refrigerated case).

OK, to hell with my normal reviewing style. I LOVE THIS BEER!

I can't say how it fares compared to my current favorite DIPA (Pliny the Elder), but it's in the same neighborhood, and that is one gorgeous, exclusive neighborhood. Beautifully carbonated dark malty wonder that just oozes aromas of tangerines, grapefruit (both sweet and sour citrus), grass, juniper, crushed pine needles, and just plain lovely lovely hops. As the beer hits the mouth, rich full mix of roasted malts and huge hops are amazing. And as the glass empties, the aroma stays around. So many beers lose aroma as they empty, this one just keeps coming.

My only real complaint is that the alcohol profile (burn) is a little strong, and the ABV is too high for me to drink this as fast as I want.

I don't love every Stone beer, and I say so when one doesn't grab me, but wow, this one is a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 12th to come back from 3 runs down. Cheers to the Stone team, and thank you for this beer.

Dukeofearl, Aug 25, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - burnt orange color, big white head with decent retention and moderate lacing, pretty transparent

s - big hops presence with lots of citrus and pine nicely balanced, very interesting aroma, alcohol is present as well

t - sweet maltiness at the start, then the citrusy/piney hops hit the palate, absolutely perfect DIPA in my opinion, the finish has an alcohol presence and is long and bitter with the hop oil coating the whole mouth

m - not much carbonation, medium-bodied, hop oil coats the mouth very well, mildly dry finish

d - I really want to drink this all night, but I know I would be miserable tomorow if I did, the 10%abv seems much less and the taste is amazingly complex and interesting which makes me want to keep on drinking

Wow. That's the best description of this beer. Stone has outdone itself with this 10th Anniversary brew. It makes me sad to think that this will not be brewed again. Hands down one of my favorite beers. I just wish I was in San Francisco another couple days to enjoy more of this amazing beer.

WeisGuy, Sep 20, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Very nice ruby amber beer. Pours a rocky, bubbly 2 finger head. Nice lacing all the way down.

This beer smells balanced. Strong citrus and pine from the hops and very fruity sweet smelling hops. Grapefruit, caramel, peach, and just a little alcohol smell.

Taste is just he same. Too many flavors to describe. Has a huge malt backbone that makes the hops seem subtle in the big picture. I'm sure the IBUs on this are pretty high despite this. Caramel, orange, and grapefruit. Slight alcohol especially as it warms.

Very oily. Sugary and syrupy almost like drinking a flat soda. Carbonation breaks up the oil well, but it could probably use just a touch more.

I could easily drink two bomber of this beer in a sitting, but the ABV keeps the drinkability a little lower. I have to be careful with this beer.

biking4beer, Nov 22, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a 2" head that last quite a while. Some light lacing develops during the session.

Smell: Oh baby. Tons of pine bitterness, grapefruit, and a hint of alcohol. Makes you want to sip it immediately.

Taste: big malty caramel backbone balanced with loads of sharp and dry bitterness, grapefruits, green grapes, and honey. The alcohol is clearly evident and provides a warming feeling with each sip. Big and bold flavors here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smoother towards the finish. Super long aftertaste as the bitterness stick to the tongue. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: the noticable alcohol warns you to not over indulge in this great beer. But then again, you should enjoy the few bottles you probably got your hands on over different evenings.

Gavage, Sep 16, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at the Davis Grad. According to Greg Koch, as soon as the warehouse is emptied, will be brewed, distributed, and served as sublimely self-righteous ale (no arrogant bastard pun intended).

A - Red pour, slightly cloudy, dissipates fast, but no lacing.

S - Cirtus, pineapple, grapefruit, flower, and caramel.

T - Amazing. Citrus, pineapple, and grapefruit. Very little malt, but who cares?

M - Smooth, full-bodied, excellent.

D - Excellent, so good, would love to suck on this one's teat for hours.

MisterClean, Jan 16, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10/22/06- Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, Fall 2006 release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Darker copper-amber colored pour. Full inch plus white and thick head. Very small tight knit bubbles. Patches, spots and streaks of lace left.

Smell- Sugary sweet grapefruit and pine hops. Very earthy toasted caramel malt backing. All around very nice meld.

Taste- Super caramel malt background. Perfect roasted malt flavor. Hops then explode with a nice and sweet grapefruit oil flavor. Also seems sticky sweet with a taste of pine sap. Yummo!

Mouthfeel- Thicker and sugary caramel mouth coating. Medium, maybe a bit higher carbonation level.

Drinkability- Leave it to Stone! Probably the most well rounded DIPA's I have had. It's both a malt and hop bomb. It almost tastes like a combo barleywine and DIPA. Reminds me a lot of Speakeasy Old Godfather with a bit less caramel and more flavorful hops. Quite a delicious brew. Highly recommended. I'm fortunate to have a 3 Liter of this to share in a few weeks in celebration of my first child.

GClarkage, Mar 11, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, so I got lucky, located and purchased 3 of these about a month ago… I was waiting for special occasions to open them, but since I had no special occasion last Sunday, I celebrated the fact that my Cincinnati Bengals have won the last 4 in a row - that’s a worthy cause for celebration, right? (Well, at least it’s better than celebrating “End of thirst”!)

I love the gargoyle artwork on the bottle - I think it’s the best bottle design Stone has put out so far…

I grabbed it out of the basement, put it in the fridge for about 30-40 minutes then cracked it open. I poured it in my snifter, took a whiff and knew instantly this beer was going to bite back. It sat dark amber or copper in my glass - with a modest creamy head.

HOLY CRAP was my first thought - then after filtering out the abundance of flavors in my head, I was able to discern serious amounts of alcohol, sweet lemon rinds, grapefruits, oranges and a pile of biscuity malts. Like sniffing many of Stone’s brews – get ready for a punch to the nose!

As expected, this is a full flavored DIPA demonstrating a high amount of bitterness with a whirlwind of hops and malts. There’s alot going on with this beer and I found it very enjoyable, but not for the timid beer drinker. This is a seriously heavy beer and with an ABV of 10%, who needs dinner?

Like everything from Stone, you can taste the quality & fine craftsmanship in each of their beers including this one. This is a beer everyone should try at least once!

beachbum1975, Dec 14, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

So i'll start this out saying, I am not the biggest IPA fan. But man, after this beer, i'll start seeking out some of the better ones. Poured a amber/copper color into my pint glass with a nice frothy 1 inch head that went down to a thin layer on top. Smell was of nice resiny piney hops which is what I like in IPA's. Taste is simply amazing, citrusy, piney, hoppy with some nice bitterness settling into a nice rich malty background finish. I love it, I am not huge on the bitter IPA finish, but this finished sweet and tasty. Mouthfeel was rich, sticky sweet and bitter, pretty nice. Drinkability I will say is high, this is a great beer, refreshingly sweet and bitter, I love the citrusy hops this has, and man that 10% abv isnt tasteable in the beer, but boy does it creep up on ya. A truely amazing beer and quite possibly the best IPA this BA has ever had.

Iguana, Sep 12, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip, a clear, bright orangey-amber with a fluffy, 1-finger off-white head. Left some chunks of lacing as I drank my way down the glass.

S: Immediate assault of tropical fruits dominated by pineapple -- sugar dusted, honey-coated pineapple -- and grapefruit and mango. Also evident as it warms is just a hint of pine and a peppery spice, presumably from the 10% ABV. Nice.

T: Sugary-sweet pineapple juice follows the nose to the taste. A peppery spice is evident briefly up front, along with a honey-caramel malt sweetness. But both flavors are quickly beaten back by the tropical fruit salad of the hops. A palate-shredding bitterness tears the roof off my mouth, but then repairs it by coating the hole it left with mouth-watering sweet pineapple, mango, grapefruit and even tangerine or maybe mandarin orange. It finishes with a nicely balanced menage-a-trois of peppery spice, malty sweetness and fruity hop bitterness. An interesting experience all around -- it literally makes my mouth water after each sip, simply demanding that you take the next sip.

M: Definitely full-bodied. Smooth and creamy, maybe just a tad bit oily.

D: Excellent. As I said above, it creates a Pavlovian desire for the next sip. As a heavier offering you're going to go a bit slow, but it's not a chore to drink this at all. 'Tis a pleasure.

Notes: I shared this (a small portion, that is) with a wine drinker who was wowed by the complexity of flavors and balance going on here. Another person who sampled from his glass asked "is there pineapple juice in this?" giving me a chance to explain that it was the hops (Simcoes I believe) that imparted that flavor, nothing else. This is a remarkable beer that I believe now rates atop my list of reviewed beers. Highly, highly recommended.

Kendo, Jan 14, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle purchased way back in August 2006 when it was released. The color is orange and transparent. Smell is grapefruit, pineapple, and pine cones. The taste is very tropical fruit with sweetness and a noticeable alcohol burn. While the hops are not as explosive as they were when I first bought a case, they are still a big factor here. I think this is still holding up very well and is possibly one of my favorite brews.

ArrogantB, Mar 12, 2007
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.