Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a clouded brown orange. Nose is malty alcohol tones. Flavor is quite smooth malt tones. Aged hops are clearly present. But the malts rule here. Touches of caramel and apple tones. (As well as a fairly firm alcohol tone.) Feel is smooth on liquid and carbonation. Man. Amazing still though a totally different beer aged than fresh. A real pleasure to drink and a vibrant example of how good double IPAs can age. (416 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

I love Stone offerings, but have typically shied away from their pale, IPA, and Ruination because I think the rest of the lineup is better. But, the other day, the beer buyer told me he had a bottle of this in the back and asked if I would like to buy it, and because of all the wonderful things I've heard and continue to hear about this beer, I accepted his offering. Consumed on February 1, 2009 during the Super Bowl. On to the review...

I poured from the bottle into a Unibroue tulip and held the glass up to the light. The body is bright apricot, topped with a frothy, two-finger eggshell head.

The smell is out of this world with the volume turned up on the juicy, citrus aromas. I never had this beer previously, but I would've never guessed this was a two year old, double IPA. It smells like it was dry-hopped yesterday. Wow, consider me floored. Also, there's zero detection of fusel alcohol. The aging really brought some balance (I would assume) because there's zero alcoholic aroma in this 10% beast.

This still tastes like a double IPA. I wouldn't say the barleywine characteristics have started taking over, and I tend to lean toward big and malty. The hops are still very forward and in your face. Awesome.

Silky smooth and very satisfying.

I don't think alcoholic content has anything to do with drinkability. It's a combination of all the previous characteristics, and if I get lit in the process, nice. Anyway, drinkability is excellent. I wanted more, but ran out after splitting the bottle with my buddy. If I ever find more of this, I'll get more than one bottle. (1,591 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%

Hell of a brew. Had it fresh years ago (dimly remembered), and recall loving it, but was surprised to see bottles of this reappearing.

Pours a bright orange with hints of amber. Two inches of off-white head.

The aroma ... breathtaking. Exotic fruits (pineapple? Mango? Guava? Mandarin Orange?) and a bunch of sweet white grapefruit with ... is that malt I detect? Wow, the flavor is pretty balanced. Sweet, viscous caramel, delightful brown sugar, and a bunch of sweet grapefruit and tropical notes.

This is a splendid beer, and I'm shocked at how well it's aged. Going back and getting more. Many more. I never cellar any hop-based brews, but I'm going to make an exception. This has really gone through a barley-wine style maturation process (10% ABV?), and while it may be a different animal, it's still one I'd like to butcher and consume.

**I spotted this review after writing my own: I agree, and would like to know how the tenth was stored.

http://thefullpint.com/2008/09/09/review-stone-10th-anniversary-ale-2-years-later (1,037 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

I've had more than my fair share of this brew. It pours a very nice amber. A wonderful, piney smell with alcohol that is balanced well with the malt. The taste is similar. Reminds me of A lot of good times. Very hoppy, lots of piney chinooks and, pleasently, very few centenials and cascades. Exceptional taste, which is similar to the smell. Doesn't taste like a double but a well balanced, very hearty IPA. If you get the chance to taste this TAKE IT!!!! (456 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a growler last night. Went for the 06 Double AB, but was pleasantly surprised with this 8 o'clock offering. Plus, I was told this would be the second to last growler release of this. Get it while you can!

A- Poured from the growler into a tulip glass. Dark orange, light copper color with a good one inch foamy head. Not quite opaque, more translucent in clarity. The head slowly recedes to buubly ring around the glass, and retained minimal head in the center.

S- First whiff, surprisingly caramelly sugars. Swirl it around a bit, get my nose deep in there- Is this an IPA??? I get caramelized grapefruit, some guava, watermelon and some sweet alcohol. It smells thick!

T- Definetly sweet malt up front, almost caramelly, and honey-like,transitioning into some slight pine bitterness, and finished with some anise.... like the lingering flavor of black licorice.

M- I never had this fresh, I had a bottle about a year ago...but I am convinced this has condensed or thickened up over time. This is the thickest feeling IPA I have ever had. Coats the tongue heavily. Rubbing my tongue against the roof of my mouth for like a minute and I can still detect its presence.

D- This is hard for me to gauge. A great beer (from what I have heard/read)that has developed into into an amazing, yet different beast. Great to have a glass of, but I am staring at a whole growler of this. I promise I will do my best though!! (1,428 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap at the Davis Grad. According to Greg Koch, as soon as the warehouse is emptied, will be brewed, distributed, and served as sublimely self-righteous ale (no arrogant bastard pun intended).

A - Red pour, slightly cloudy, dissipates fast, but no lacing.

S - Cirtus, pineapple, grapefruit, flower, and caramel.

T - Amazing. Citrus, pineapple, and grapefruit. Very little malt, but who cares?

M - Smooth, full-bodied, excellent.

D - Excellent, so good, would love to suck on this one's teat for hours. (508 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Out of the double-magnum Pours cloudy amber with a rocky white meringue-type head. Nearly overpowering hoppy nose. Lots of pine and grapefruit, almost like fresh-cut wood. More citrus in terms of orange peel. Huge hop taste with a subtle alcohol burn. Loads of grapefruit and resin in this monster, biting you with every sip. Some sweeter citrus as well, oranges, pienapple, and even a little mango. The malt smooths it out a tad in the end, but overall the beer retains the nice hop bite. One of the best. (506 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazed, dark amber body with a thin, fizzy, off-white head.

Smell: Fruit-scented, pithy aroma enveloped by a sweet-smelling caramel maltiness. Very minimal waft of alcohol.

Taste: Toasted caramel with a full, hearty sweetness. Earthy, fruity hop flavors of concentrated citrus and diminished pine resin that, though it's now two years old, still provides a solid jab of bitterness that holds until the hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is, I'll admit, a bit chewy.

Drinkability: Still delicious! Ah, my zest for life has finally returned. Stone 10th was good then and it's good now. Some beers arrive a mess and need years upon years to morph into something decent. Some beers are fantastic fresh but die quick, painful deaths. So, it's good to see some can stand the test of time. (847 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -20%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle courtesy of adrian910ss. Pours a mahogany brown with a small tan head. Aroma of bitter hops, sweet malt, citrus, and stale urine. Flavor is quite malty and sweet, also got some apple skins. Kind of muddied as I didn't find it complex in flavor. Ok but not one of the better Stone offerings.
6/4/7/4/15 (3.6/5) (337 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I opened this for Christmas after cellaring it for the last 2 plus years. I have been told that IPAs are best fresh but I have to say that I really think that this beer has gotten better with age. The hop flavor was still intensely delicious and the mouthfeel was still as good as when it was fresh. This is definately a beer that was worth cellaring. (351 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Welcome to Florida Stone. Had this one at the kick off party at the OTH.

A: Pours a nice bold goldish orange hue with a nice solid one finger head. The head dies down rather quickly but does manage some lace.

S: Nice sweet malty aromas with hints of summer fruits and apricot. Bold pine notes with a touch of citrus.

T: Wow this has held up nicely over the past three years. Tons of sweet malt up front. Hints of apple skin and butterscotch. It don't take long for the hops to introduce themselves. Bold resinous pine with touches of citrus.

M: Full in body, rather thick for the style. Nice carbonation as well.

D: Liked it so much I had two pints. Wonderful brew, glad Stone offered it up at the welcoming party. (719 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A rich copper brown color with a creamy tan head. The nose is a mixture of aged piney hops, candy malts and ripe fruits. The taste follows nicely. Again a big sweet malt profile followed by a dulled yet delicious hop variety. Full silky body is well carbonated. A fantastic ale that has aged well. (297 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle courtesy of dave12285 poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense tan head that lingers for q while leaving some delicate lacing. Honestly, it looks a lot like an American barleywine...

S: ...and it smells a lot like a barleywine as well. There is an initial citrus hop aroma, but definitely subdued. The smell is dominated by the caramel malts with butterscotch and brown sugar as well.

T: The taste is much like the smell. I never had it fresh, but I imagine there was a huge hop kick in this at some point. Now it's almost all malts with a touch of citrus up front and some earthy hop bitterness in the finish. Lots of sugary sweetness and some dark fruits as well.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, but it is very smooth and sticks to the mouth throughout.

D: This beer has aged very well in my opinion though it's certainly more of a barleywine than an IIPA at this point. Regardless of category, this is a great beer. (969 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz picked up a long time ago at Erickson's for $6.. it still has the price tag on it... poured into my Smokestack goblet. I am reviewing this tonight as my ongoing cellar clearing project.

1" finger head sticks around for a while and sticks like champ to the sides of the glass.. very nice lacing.. Brew is hazy bright orange.

Aroma is still fairly hoppy, but obviously is showing some age.. citric grapefruit with pale malts and a background brown sugar note.

Flavor is very much like a fairly fresh American BW.. piney and citrus hops with quite a big punch of maltiness and some caramel... finish is long with a sorta floral hoppy/yeasty fruitiness to it. The body is still fairly thick and the carbonation is pretty creamy.

I loved this beer immensely when fresh.. maybe my all time favorite DIPA.. right now, it is still drinking fairly nicely... again, it is much more like a big BW, but I am not complaining.. I am a happy camper. (945 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dayton recently had their 10th Alefest. One of the featured, rare brews was Stone's 10-year Anniversary batch. I am trying to get confirmation if this was part of a special re-brew batch for the event or was simply mislabeled. Both the local media, vendor and event pamphlet cited it as Stone 10th Anniversary IPA. Yet, BA claims it was only brewed once. Nonetheless, I will go with the information I have and make my review of it until I hear otherwise. I do have an email in with Stone Brew.

Let me say, this was my favorite of what I had at the event. I did not make it through all that I wanted there, but this I did and was very pleased.

It's tough to make a true assessment of something you only had two ounces of in between other beers, but what I can remember is this:

Color was very appealing, not entirely clear, but of a lighter amber with medium head.

Smell was sweet and citrusy as you would expect from an IPA, yet not strong

Taste was smooth. The hoppiness was there to open the door to it's smooth followthrough that matched it smell.

This very gentle on the palate. The 10% ABV didn't steal the show as does other high alcohol brews.

Everyone I talked to afterward cited this as maybe they're favorite of the festival. I concur. (1,253 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

Now listening to: Gits - Here Is To Your F**k

Age note: It seems that with the release of the new 12th anniversary that some of the older anniversary beers are slipping out from distributors, as well. I had this back when it was originally released, but this specific bottle is 2 years old.

A- Amber color with a 1 finger beige head that quickly sinks to a thin disc of a head.

S- Not much smell at all to this. Malt...yes, hops...yes, but I have a feeling that this may have been a snout full when originally released.

T- I have to say that this is very reminiscent of the Greenflash Imperial IPA up front. Lots of malt and hops battling it out and switching around. But with thsi beer, that intensity fades quickly.

M- As the flavor fades, the hops start to really bite the back of my throat and actually caused excess saliva (OK, I know...gross, but that is what the mouthfeel was)

D- Even as my only beer of the night, I couldn't finish a 22. (953 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Perfect 1-2" dulce de leche head. Sparse visible carbonation at first rising from awesome butterscotch/caramel body with slight haze. Gets to be next-nigh perfect on the 2nd pour with decent lacing.

Loads of caramel malt - floral hope take time to emerge with warmth - lisghtly soapy at first. Mild grapefruit rind. Alcohol bite is blanketed with sweet caramel tones.

While the hops may be fading it still has a powerful bite - a little piney at first (maybe the effect of more than expected carbonation) but then floral tone emerges with more strength. Caramel, caramel-apple and alcohol are quite profound at first. Powerful stuff.

Raw and rustic brute force meets velvety finish and slight carbonation tingle. Mild burn from alcohol in back of mouth is not a bother. As this warms the soothing caramel, butterscotch and apple heft coats nicely in n extremely long finish.

OK, it's not sessionable but 1 of these a day would be even better than an apple. (960 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Just dragged this guy up from the cellar. Let's see how it goes.

Appearance - Nice, beautiful copper with a solid half inch of head. Some real nice lacing to boot.

Smell - Real nice hop with some definite fruit, almost orange and some candy apple.

Taste - Comes up with that hoppy goodness up front. Followed by some sweet maltiness with a serious alcohol kicker. This shit will get you drunk. Frankly, this is reminiscent of a good barleywine, which is hardly a bad thing.

Mouthfeel - Creamy goodness with lots of nice carbonation. Pretty thick but not heavy.

Drinkability - I like it, I even quite like it, but I'll call it a day after this one bomber. Plenty of kick, that's for sure.

Overall this was a pleasant experience. This is solid, hoppy, serious IPA-ness. If you are looking for a good IPA, this should be on the short list. (843 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

Got a growler of this last night at Stone. Drank a glass today. Poured it into my Old Guardian Barley Wine glass since I heard it was drinking like a BW.

Appearance: poured like a barleywine with little head but some good lacing.

Smell: Smelled of bananas and citrius it smelled awesome

Taste: tastes like a barley wine with a slight thickness and smoothness but intense and sweet at the same time.

Mouthfeel: slightly thick like a barley wine and feels like one as well

Drinkability: could not drink this stuff all night but it was very good but could prob drink no more than two glasses. (597 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I drank this out of a 3 liter bottle split with my roommates. No way in hell I could drink this by myself. Review on the way:

Note ahead of time, this bottle is the 10th anniversary with no bottled on date. I have some 11th anniversary in the fridge, so this bottle is at least about 1 1/2 years old.

Appearance is a cloudy amber/orange with a very respectable lacing. For a 10%, "aged" beer this one really did leave a decent sticky lacing all the way down.

Getting ahead of my notes, the smell has more hops present in it than the taste does. That said, I am thoroughly impressed with the hop presence after the aging of this bottle. Definite sweet/caramel malts present as well, more prominent than the hops.

As mentioned, the hops are more noticeable in aroma than in taste. However I admit they are impressively noticeable in the taste considering that this beer has been waiting to be opened for about 1 1/2 years. Sticky and sweet are the two defining taste characteristics of this beer.

Medium bodied, smooth yet biting sourness are what I'm getting from the mouthfeel.

I only drank 1 liter of this 3 liter bottle, so I'm reviewing this drinkability based on 1 liter of the 10th anniversary. Definitely strong at 10%. I honestly would drink another (whether or not that would be advisable). The malt sweetness after a year+ of aging is still not too overpowering for an IIPA. I'm very impressed with this IIPA for holding strong this long.

I've got to thank my roommate for buying this 3Liter for my birthday. Excellent present and a great chance to taste a fantastic beer. Cheers to stone. (1,605 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

3L Growler stored in my cooler, and opened 5/24/08, aged approx 2 years.

I remember having this fresh, and enjoying it immensely, this being the IIPA that introduced me to just how fruity/citrusy an IIPA could be. Let's see how's it's held up...

A: Mostly clear, dark amber-gold. Not too much head, but I think asking for the growler to hold all the carbonation for 2 years is asking a bit much. Looks inviting nonetheless!

S: The malt has definitely over-taken things here. Plenty of caramelly goodness, but there's a distinct honey tint to the aroma as well. That's interesting. The citrusy hops are still there, but just in the background now.

T: It's pretty much a barleywine now. The maltiness is a really nice, mellow caramel/honey sweetness. This is followed by a bit of citrus rind bitterness/dryness, and a hit of raw alcohol on the finish. The fresh fruitniness I remember from the fresh bottle is gone. Sadness.

M: Mouthfeel is excellent. Even with a lower carbonation, the beer coats the mouth nicely, and provides an excellent fullness.

As an IIPA, I'd say this one is definitely past it's prime, but as an experiment in aging beer, it's pretty damn interesting. (1,181 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap in a pint glass.

Pours a dark amber red in color with off white lacing that doesn't hold, head dissipates relatively quickly.

Smells of coriander, grapefruit and pine, very hoppy on the nose.

Tastes fruit forward but this is quickly overtaken with a slightly sweet malty finish.

Interestingly complex beer with a great feel, I'm still chewing on it in fact. Good drinkability matches its hop/malt makeup.

This beer is apparently about 18 months old, released from Stone's cellar. I hadn't had the opportunity to taste it near its original release date. (566 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Amber color with a thick white head. Smells incredible with notes of pineapple, mango, pine, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is similarly complex, starting with a very obvious pineapple taste, that fades into bready malts, caramel, and piny, hop bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden with only some warming in the throat. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Very drinkable for such a big beer. This is definitely Stone's best creation, and one my favorites in general. (510 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottle courtesy of DrJay on BA. Pours a rich amber color with a big offwhite head and some light lacing. Smell is malty with caramel like sweetness along with some sweet citrus. Little to no hop prensence left. Taste is caramel, alcohol, and candied orange peels. Somewhat surprised that the hops have basically entirely faded and that the alcohol is still this present. Decent, but not what it was intended to be any longer, I'm guessing. (439 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Huge thanks to Papago Brewpub and Stone Brewing for putting on a Stone showcase including this amazing beer.

Gorgeous appearance; dark orange with good tan head. It throws out a powerful pine/citric aroma, and offers up an outstanding, pepper-tinged flavor that showcases the full body.

This beer is a huge hop bomb, without losing any more drinkability than necessary. It's a treasure, and deserving of its reputation. (423 characters)

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.