Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
blackie

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: Pours into my favorite beer glass with a fluffy, off-white head that slowly falls to a nice layer on the surface that lasts for quite awhile. Light lacing is left behind as I drain the glass. The beer is a bright copper-amber in color. Reverse label #4 of 10.

smell: At first sniff, I find a full-on hop assault of the nose. Juicy, dark, evergreen hops that lend lovely notes of tropical fruits. These hops are backed up by a sweet, malty caramel aroma. Ethanol presence is low, at most, and a boon to the aroma. Notes of tangerine, concentrated fig pulp, and vanilla iced lemon poundcake. Exceptional mix of badass hops with sweet malts and fruits.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is low-medium. The body is a full medium, somewhat slick on the tongue, though it cleans up nicely in the finish.

taste: Big, grainy caramel malt sweetness supports a thick American hop flavor. Unrelenting pulpy, dark evergreen hops coat the palate from sip to finish. Notes of tropical fruits and citrus, sweet Turkish fig sugars, and golden raisins. Sweet cake. I'm guessing the IBU's are high here, but it really doesn't come across that way. Not a drop of ethanol is noticeable. Moderate bitterness in the finish with long-lingering grain and hop flavors.

drinkability: easy, considering...though i do feel the alcohol after the first 1/3 bottle. An extremely well rounded beer for such a monster. The only DIPA I've had that can touch YuleSmith.

the "surprise" in my latest box in an ongoing exchange with dirtylou

08-22-07: Still good, but already going downhill. The malts have backed off, revealing more of the ethanol that was well hidden before. Hops still nice but also pretty faded. Past its prime for sure.

01-15-2007 00:18:27 | More by blackie
TrickKnee

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After what seems of months of waiting I was finally able to procur a case of these wonderful beauties.
A-Deep amber color, almost copper with a nice thick rich head
S-The smell of citrus and pine is everywhere, i wish glade could make plug-ins smell like this.
T-Unbeleivable, bitter but yet not too bitter
M-Stays in your mouth for a long time. After swallowing when you take a breath the flavor of the hops comes back to say hi, its a wonderfull thing
D-I could drink a lot of these in one sitting, but considering i only have 11 left, it will be slow going to ensure I have enough to at least last through december. WHy Stone WHy, did this have to be a one time brewing.

09-23-2006 11:11:11 | More by TrickKnee
Ieatlambfries

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

This Double IPA poured a dark copper orange. The head was scarce. What little bubbles it did have were tiny and dense. It did leave some scattered lacing, but that didn't stay long either.

Th smell had up front notes of canned pineapple. Sweet tropical fruits as well piney and citrus hop aromas. A hint of alcohol could be detected as well.

This beer hits you upfront with hops. Flavors ranging from grapefruit and orange to resiny pine. No doubt there's some simcoe in there, as well as other hp varieties. The fruit flavors detected in the smell were present in the taste as well. It reminded me of a good Chardonnay with it's layered tropical fruits and citrus flavors in the finish. Also a nice dose of toasty malt. Just sweet enough to balance the hops, but not overwhelming. there is definitely some alcohol lurking in the background. You feel it when you exhale.

The mouthfeel is big and expansive. Slightly biting carbonation. For the size of the beer it's also very drinkable. the hop taste is big, but not numbing to the palate. And the malt is sweet, but just sweet enough.

Overall one of the best Double IPA's I've had yet. I felt it struck a better balance between the hops and the malt than other examples in it's class. Much more balanced than Ruination. An excellent effort for an anniversary brew.

10-01-2006 23:08:19 | More by Ieatlambfries
TastyTaste

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to tyrawlings for the chance. Poured into a Dobbelen tulip.

Appearance: Rust colored body, big off-white head, very slow fade.

Smell: Sweet caramel in front sharp alcohol and floral hops (a lot of them). There is also a strong fruit and honey scent that makes it a very interesting beer to smell.

Taste: A rich and maly, yet highly hopped DIPA. Sweet, yet never cloying, a well above average DIPA. The alcohol is noticable, but an asset to the experience.

Drinkability: While not the best in the style, not too far from, top notch. Happy 10th, Stone.

10-07-2006 21:49:13 | More by TastyTaste
sulldaddy

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this brew at room temp poured into a pint glass. The brew pours a clear amber to mahogany color with creamy beige head that recedes to a sturdy edge layer, leaving tight lattice work.
Aroma is mostly citrusy hops and a hint of caramel. Further sniffs get some grassy notes as well.
First sip reveals an average body and gentle fine carbonation. Texture is slightly sticky and leaves some residue on my lips after each sip.
Flavor is sweet caramel that rolls to citrusy and grassy hops just like the nose. the finish becomes a little dry and bitey but not over the top like I expected going into the brew. Very drinkable for a 10% beer!

01-20-2007 02:45:20 | More by sulldaddy
LeeMarvin

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was a long, terrible wait, but it was worth it! Just opening the bottle released a cornucopia of aromas. Pouring it in the glass caused the room to fill up with flowery essences that crowded into my nasal cavity.

Sitting in the pint glass next to the cool bottle, it's a beautiful beer, with a color and head matching my expectations. Almost a shame to have to go and drink it.

The taste came on very, very strong with the first mouthfull, but mellowed on the tongue the more you drink it and the more it breathes.

This is a potent brew--by the end of the bottle I can say that I had a good glow going. It's got a lot of alcohol in it, so hiding away a couple of these bad boys for aging would be wise. If you can resist drinking them, that is.

09-25-2006 14:55:48 | More by LeeMarvin
arizcards

Arizona

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's Labor Day weekend for $4.99.

Beer poured an orange-amber color with a nice white head that is leaving a good lacing behind. Nose is heavily tinged with grapefruit floral hops and is also bready. Taste is very well balanced for the style. Initially the palate is hit with the malts and finishes with a counterpunch of citrusy hops which actually does not overwhelm the palate. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lively on the palate. Drinkability improves as I go. Initially the alcohol was extremely warming but since has mellowed. This is an awesome beer that I would recommend to fans of the Double IPA style.

01-27-2007 23:04:43 | More by arizcards
Westsidethreat

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clean, dark amber honey colored concoction. Lots of mellow bubble activity in the glass weaving too and frow, working their way to the top. The head is a solid one finger layer made up of creamy, tight light beige bubbles. Webbing like swiss cheese is left behind.

S: Yes, this smells great. Very fresh and healthy. Now for the details. Fruity and citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, lemon rind, strawberry, raspberry. Touch of pine bark lurking below the surface. Solid malt syrup adds a much appreciated extra dimension to ever sniff (and inevitably ever swallow)

T: . Wow, lots going on here. Lets start from the top. Immediate mixture of sweet malts and sneaky bitterness tickles the front of the tongue. Pine needle sap dances on the front center of the tongue as the liquid move towards the back of the mouth. Caramel notes spike while the transition from forest to Florida come to fruition. Citrus flavors mix with red fruits and coast the palate into a more complex moment with bitterness becoming much more apparent. The alcohol is apparent and in your face (for better or for worse). This beer would be great on a winter night, as it warms the tummy so exquisitely.

M: Medium body and surprisingly smooth for such a bitter beer.

D: Huge. Great friggin beer. Hand crafted superbly.

08-25-2006 03:40:38 | More by Westsidethreat
Aprilluvsbeer

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My third review and it's a doozy! My beer reviews are pretty much for me, in my own words, so I can remember each beer experience!

This beer was my very first double IPA ever. I had it a few months ago, after I bought an entire case of it for a fellow BA (Blithering Idiot) for being such a great friend and showing me a couple of great beer stores in PA and MD. He left my husband and I two bottles out of the case to try out. Not really thinking anything of it, a few weeks later I finally said okay, let's try this Stone 10th Anniversary Ale..now, mind you,I am not a hophead by any stretch, as a matter of fact I am not really a fan of bitter or really hoppy beers at all, I prefer stouts!

Poured a clear, crisp, golden color, with a bit of head and some lacing into my tulip.

The smell, oh, the smell is the best part - all of the hops gives a citrusy, fruity, piney, smell, with a final, strong, smack in the face grapefruit smell. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of this beer..I could just smell it all day long!!

The second best part of this beer is the taste. I gotta tell you that when I first smelled this, I was afraid that the taste would be exactly the same - smack in the face grapefruit. In as much as I love the smell, I don't really like the taste of grapefruit. I was pleasantly surprised that this beer is not overpowered by the grapefruit. A nice, full bodied beer, and a perfect balance between the hops and malt here. No major bitterness here at all!

Today, I am enjoying yet another 10th Anniversary, about the 3rd or 4th one since my very first, and each time, I enjoy it more and more. This is by far the best DIPA I have had thus far.

Way to go, Stone!
Cheers!
April

12-01-2006 00:18:21 | More by Aprilluvsbeer
jeffjfindley

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

09-02-2006 23:46:42 | More by jeffjfindley
azdback

Arizona

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Dark copper color, very clear in appearance. Quite a lot of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a small one finger head that is just a tad bit darker than sea foam in color and creamy in appearance. The six years this has sat in the bottle has done nothing to the appearance. Very nice.

Smell is ultra sweet. Much like a Barleywine, caramelized sugar, light molasses or kayro syrup, some vanilla and lots of booze.

Taste is just fantastic. Creamy sweet caramel syrup vanilla notes, some bitterness and a bit of alcohol burn. I think the bitterness I am detecting could be some oxidation but I'm not refined in tasting this old of a beer.

Mouth is just fantastic. Smooth and creamy, carbonation is right on. The finish is very long and wet but not super mouth coating witch is nice.

Overall I must first thank t0rin0 for this bottle. He answered an ISO and wanted nothing in return. I did, of course, send him a box but he wanted nothing. To the beer... For this being as old as it is it drank fantastic!! Much more like a Barleywine than a DIPA but that is to be expected. I am glad I chose to celebrate IPA day 2012 with this!! Grab one if you can.

08-03-2012 05:08:01 | More by azdback
johnniemarg

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

09-23-2006 04:21:10 | More by johnniemarg
GPHarris

Alabama

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a three fingers thick light tan head into a large weizen glass. the head was thick, billowy and incredibly long-lasting. left thick lacing and nice sheeting throughout.
s - as soon as i popped the cap i was hit with the aroma of grapefruit. very sweet and malty. the aromas mix nicely between hoppy and malty.
t - piney, floral and citrus tastes with a nice malt backbone that really balances out well.
m - smooth and sticky, it really coats the tongue.
d - you can really feel the alcohol after one bomber of this. i was feeling really good afterwards. it goes down so smooth you don't even know what hits you. i really enjoyed this beer.

03-30-2007 13:49:02 | More by GPHarris
Calico

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours with a lovely head which stays in a Belgian-like lace for a while.
Color a very clear amber-red.

The nose is full of pine, almost exclusively pine with a hint of citrus and a suggestion of alcohol strength.

Taste: a wonderful combination of pine, mixed peel (think mixed citrus allowed to concentrate and dry a bit, if you're not familiar with the product), plum, guava, and passionfruit. So it's like a punchy fruitcake under the Christmas tree! (Then the hops sneak up with their sagey bitterness under the back of my tongue and remind me that they are making me sleepy, very sleepy..)

Mouthfeel: well carbonated, full bodied, sparkly, warm with booziness.

Drinkability: I'd love to drink a whole growler of this, but in the morning I'd wish I hadn't. Half a bomber at a time for me, thanks. Thank goodness I live with a fellow beer enthusiast who'll happily relieve me of the other half.

12-23-2006 02:59:55 | More by Calico
scott

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

'06-Holy Shit!, this stuff is blowing me away! I am a malt man, so there aren't very many IPA's that would ever garner this much admirition from me. Wow! Half of a glass into this and I can't keep up with my thoughts.
Absolutely gorgeous pour (think blood apricot with a beautiful full head of curls), that dims quickly, but is reconstituted with a few swirls.
A bodaciously huge citric fruit nose (I feel like I'm walking through a grapefruit orchard). Very floral, clean & fragrant.
Great juicy fruit tartness, and not overly bitter, with a subtle malt finish.
Great on the tongue, but maybe a little too much syrup on the finish.
Again, I am not what a beerman would befriend if he were a hop-head, but holy shit!, this beer is damn-near perfect. And this review is not influenced by any of the Stone hype. Very balanced.

08-28-2006 01:35:53 | More by scott
kmo1030

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

hazed coppery orange with a good sized tan head that stciks around for a while.
heavy booze component in the nose. beneath that there is a heavy very "green" oily grapfruit hop aroma with piney resinous qualities. a bit too much of an alcohol smell for me though.
a total hop bomb in the mouth with tons of puckering bitterness. the oily hops dominate with strong pine, grapefruit and some more faint pineapple flavors. some caramel is in there too, but crushed by the hops. alcohol is pervasive, but not quite as overwhelming as in the nose. absolutely titanic hop flavor in here, goddamn thats good.
clean full-ish medium body with moderate to strong carbonation. my mouth is left tingling form the alcohol.
very good drinkability. for such boozy hop bomb, the really excellent flavor, lends to this. pick it up for sure if you see this, this is how west coast IPAs are done.

10-09-2006 21:08:58 | More by kmo1030
CharlieMopps

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House Innsbrook for Beer Geek Week '07

A: Pours a deep, opaque amber hue, glowing orange, roughly 1 finger of head that showed decent retention and lacing.

S: Sweet maltiness with notes of grapefruit citrus; has a mellow, candy-like orange scent to it.

T: Hop complexity that's second to none. A malty base provides a smooth intro for a big dose of bitterness. Floral and citrusy hops wash over the palate and flood the mouth with one the better hop profiles I have yet to taste. Immaculate.

M: Big, creamy, and mealy... a bit of syrupy hop residue with a fluffy, full mouthfeel.

D: Outstanding brew, and it's evident why this was only brewed once. I originally enjoyed the last bottle available to the public at Capital Ale House downtown with nickss and roughsax; part of one of our original BA gatherings. This time around, after a year had gone by, this thing had changed a bit, but was still just as great.

09-22-2007 18:57:50 | More by CharlieMopps
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a translucent yellow, some haze. Decent, rocky head. Explosive bouquet that boast a nearly overwhelming (if it weren't so appetizing) amount of tangy, floral hops. Flavours as citruisy but balanced well with a hefty malt bill to back it up. Alcohol smooths out the hop bitterness, and the flavour really hides the alcohol - the two play off eachother so well. Tremendous. Not too far off from their Ruination which we had prior to this, but I found I enjoyed this much more. What this has that makes it so spectacular is dimension. It is (to me, seemingly) as complex as IPA or DIPA's get. Sure there is a lot of hops, malt, big boozy body, but this posses something most* other DIPA's dont - complexity and dimension. What a pleasure!

11-10-2006 17:38:21 | More by biegaman
Overlord

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Hell of a brew. Had it fresh years ago (dimly remembered), and recall loving it, but was surprised to see bottles of this reappearing.

Pours a bright orange with hints of amber. Two inches of off-white head.

The aroma ... breathtaking. Exotic fruits (pineapple? Mango? Guava? Mandarin Orange?) and a bunch of sweet white grapefruit with ... is that malt I detect? Wow, the flavor is pretty balanced. Sweet, viscous caramel, delightful brown sugar, and a bunch of sweet grapefruit and tropical notes.

This is a splendid beer, and I'm shocked at how well it's aged. Going back and getting more. Many more. I never cellar any hop-based brews, but I'm going to make an exception. This has really gone through a barley-wine style maturation process (10% ABV?), and while it may be a different animal, it's still one I'd like to butcher and consume.

**I spotted this review after writing my own: I agree, and would like to know how the tenth was stored.

01-25-2009 08:15:18 | More by Overlord
orbitalr0x

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

From notes. 22oz bomber. Pours a copper orange hue that's quite dark. A nice half inch of light tan head on top as well. Looks great in the glass with good clarity. Aromas burst out of the glass with an onslaught of thick hop oil fumes. Pine aromas intertwine with massive citric/tropical notes. I get a big pineapple/mango aroma off this brew. Smooth caramel malts underneath. Quite simply a beautiful, enticing aroma that makes it hard for me to put my glass down.

First sip brings a rush of hop oils right off the bat along with a velvety smooth caramel maltiness. A superb hop profile with a mix of pine resin and vibrant tropical, citrus flavors. A touch of pineapple surfaces again. Flows down with a touch of alcohol and a big, bold bitterness that is to be expected. A massively tasty brew that brings the hops without remorse. Yum.

Mouthfeel is big and very smooth & creamy with just enough carbonation. The big alcohol is very well masked, making this one hell of a tasty, drinkable DIPA. I really wish I had more of this and I will keep my fingers crossed that this gets brewed again someday. One of the best DIPA's to cross my lips.

06-13-2007 23:42:45 | More by orbitalr0x
sloejams

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

The beer Stone made to commemorate this grand occasion is an enormous hop monster. The bottle is beautiful, complete with a story on the side – all painted on. It pours a ruby-orange with a frothing eggshell head. The aroma is a floral bouquet hop assault. All of the hops of the rainbow are present: from sweet to pine to everything in between. There’s a lot of fruit on the palate – some lemon, some pineapple and lots of grapefruit. All of the taste soaked in hops with a tinge of maltiness. The creamy texture smoothes out the alcohol warmth. Delicious. I’ll next to stock up on these.

08-31-2006 21:25:33 | More by sloejams
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

biegaman was nice enough to share this one with me. thanks jan!

pours a light copper colour with a big, dense yellow head. head is slow to drop and leaves a nice layer of lace behind.

aroma is great. first sniff was a touch catty, but after that the other dimensions come out. fruity, orange and tangerine. just a hint of grapefruit. not piney/resiny at all. no real alcohol noticeable.

taste is great. really nice bready malt, decent bitterness level that isn't over the top, and a wonderful hoppiness. alcohol comes a bit, but well balanced. really complex, much more than the average dipa. bit of sherry/dried fruit. maybe cherry. nice.

mouthfeel is great. nice body without being overly full. good moderate carbonation level.

drinkabilty is suprisingly high. hides its 10% really well. i could easily drink a few of these, and fall over. but it's good!

11-04-2006 23:09:29 | More by grub
bjohnson

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Pours a cloudy slightly dark amber color with peachish hues. Frothy and soaplike one finger cream colored head.
S: Extra bold pine hop aromas with citrus, mostly grapefruit notes. Nice bold sweet sugary maltyness also noticeable.
T/M: Pine and grapefruit hop notes with a dominant sweet malt undercurrent. Nice bitterness that lingers. Sweet malt takes on a sugary taste. Oily and resiny hop character slowly glides across the palate leaving a slick film behind. Bigger level of bitterness in the aftertaste once it warms a bit--more malty presence the colder it is. Smooth mouthfeel with a good level of carbonation. Medium to heavy body. Sweet and oily when you lick your lips. One damn good brew.
D: Pretty damn tasty dipa, but I didn't expect anything less from Stone. High abv of 10%? Noticeable in the warming of the chest, but besides that, not on the palate. I would drink bomber after bomber of this stuff, although after 3, I may not be standing any longer. Very very very drinkable even with the high abv. So smooth, yet so potent.

I wonder how this would hold up in the cellar. I would think the hop profile would suside a bit leaving the malt to dominate. Glad I had this sooner rather than later. On tap? Probably phenomenal. In the bottle, well...just exquisite. Get one if you can!

09-30-2006 02:11:50 | More by bjohnson
mitchfor3

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

08-22-2006 07:24:25 | More by mitchfor3
TurdFurgison

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

The artwork continues to impress on Stone bottles. On this bottle the Stone demon strikes a stoic pose, proudly raising his beer mug in homage to me. The marketing worked, I was humbled by the salute and bought a couple bottles.

This is one sweet ipa. I poured it into a Ruination glass because it seemed appropriate, and it showcased the clear orange hop resin covered by a thick foam with a spitty consistency. Pine needle and grapefruit-like hop aromas are balanced by sweet malts for a perfect score on smell. The flavor was huge, very hoppy and malty and everything, a little bitter in the after-taste but I guess it's hardly avoidable.

The mouthfeel was thick and coating, another perfect score. I didn't taste the alcohol, but I'm starting to feel it so I guess it's there. This is a top-notch IPA, I completely recommend everyone tries it before it's gone.

09-02-2006 00:20:59 | More by TurdFurgison
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.